• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'd give this a 7/10. I really enjoyed it (...mostly), but the level of polish, especially in the back half of the game, is a bit weak. I love jank but it tends to veer from jank to annoying. The constant loading, framerate drops and hitching, and on PS4 pro I had what looked like geometry culling along the sides of the screen (constant white flashes) was just WTF.

I would say the following:
1. The world design and interconnectedness of the world is fantastic, BUT it is hampered by the fact the only reason to explore is for souls. Why no other items?
2. The graphics are really superb and beautiful (not for an AA game or whatever, just period), BUT the art design in spots is too plain.
3. The combat stays fast and fluid for the entire experience, BUT the performance lets it down (this game reminded me a ton of Heavenly Sword actually).
4. Fury's personality is great and she doesn't smolder with generic rage (which I was afraid of), BUT the walk-and-talk nature of so much of the characterization is weak. Stop making me slow down please.
5. The plot of the game is fine, BUT I can't believe they made two subsequent games and didn't address the cliffhanger of the first. Seriously fuck y'all.
6. They copied some of the cool parts of Dark Souls, but not the mechanics that actually make it work. Respawning enemies, recharging estus, souls that disappear when you die twice. None of these are actually in the game. What they did preserve is some good (short cuts and interconnected world) and some bad (corpse running when there's no risk of losing your souls? What's the point?).

SFLUFAN

Oct 27, 2017
Alexandria, VA
Just finished the game (about 35 hours in total)

From the perspective of combat, world design/interconectedness, main character, and overall presentation - it's easily the BEST in the series! However, if I was an actual reviewer, I'd be hardpressed to give it higher than a 75% score because that damned camera just makes things far more difficult than they really need to be.

Note: I played it on the PC where the technical performance has been nothing short of outstanding.

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
That was and continues to be a terrible idea.
Nah, its fine. Doing something different,adding layers and context to the games world and fleshing out the individual horsemen as characters has been great, at least in 3.

3 did so much character and world building for Fury for the franchise I've got no idea how people can still be complaining about this.

Taking place after doesn't automatically make it better. At least now theyre making a lot of effort to truly flesh out the franchise which the first two games never really did.

Last edited:

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Good/bad idea is to have Darksiders 4 be a $10-$20 3rd person shooter of Stryfe just shooting demons and angels through the remains of earth.

Darksiders 1 still the best, this one felt off. They wanted a bigger focus on combat but too simple. I wanted dungeons, they wanted dark souls. Never gave me a reason to explore since wasn't much to acquire.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Good/bad idea is to have Darksiders 4 be a $10-$20 3rd person shooter of Stryfe just shooting demons and angels through the remains of earth.

Darksiders 1 still the best, this one felt off. They wanted a bigger focus on combat but too simple. I wanted dungeons, they wanted dark souls. Never gave me a reason to explore since wasn't much to acquire.

Eh, the combat is toned down from 2, but it's at least on par with the combat in Darksiders 1, which was pretty stiff. Also Dark Souls areas are basically dungeons anyway, just interconnected.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Eh, the combat is toned down from 2, but it's at least on par with the combat in Darksiders 1, which was pretty stiff. Also Dark Souls areas are basically dungeons anyway, just interconnected.

I see dungeons as more of a an area you enter after the overworld that announces its presence and then there are multiple puzzles to get through it and keys.

Outside one or two times of going into a new area, I felt like I was just walking a path and the environment changed looks and folded upon itself to show it is all interconnected. I guess I want an overworld and make my way to a large castle/cave/etc and have it announced its presence and then know when I finished it and not just have sort of leave but never quite sure where I am going.

I thought 2 had awful control (re-played it last month). Didn't feel good to find or try to use the camera. Did people think it had deep/good combat cause it had a coupon different weapons?

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
There's plenty of reason to explore like upgrade materials,secret bosses and saving humans.

Combat also isn't as complex as the second game but its far from simple. That's your shortcoming as a player failing to fully explore the combat system by utilizing all the tools you're given. You have 4 hollows that you can switch between at any given moment each with their own signature weapon and abilities. Combined with the dodge/counter system that rewards you for knowing your timings and you can't get away by just spammung dodge like you could in darksiders 2.

Anyway, Strife isn't going to get shafted. He's getting his own game, so you might as well accept the reality now.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
That was and continues to be a terrible idea.

I think it's fine too. Every horseman get's his own game to develop his character and after that who knows. I don't think a 4 man co-op would be nice,but a game to switch back and forth between the 4 characters would be cool. Running in parallel for example

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's fine too. Every horseman get's his own game to develop his character and after that who knows. I don't think a 4 man co-op would be nice,but a game to switch back and forth between the 4 characters would be cool. Running in parallel for example
The chances of a co op game are slim given theyve said they don't want to do a co op game in the past. Darksiders 5 will be a single player title with character switching.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, its fine. Doing something different,adding layers and context to the games world and fleshing out the individual horsemen as characters has been great, at least in 3.

3 did so much character and world building for Fury for the franchise I've got no idea how people can still be complaining about this.

Taking place after doesn't automatically make it better. At least now theyre making a lot of effort to truly flesh out the franchise which the first two games never really did.

The hubris of assuming you're getting to the fifth game in a mid-tier franchise is pretty galling. It's not about character or world building; it's about having people invested in the story have to wait four whole games and all the risk entailed to get there. Darksiders III is a miracle product and you still need two more miracles. It's Shenmue tier.

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
The hubris of assuming you're getting to the fifth game in a mid-tier franchise is pretty galling. It's not about character or world building; it's about having people invested in the story have to wait four whole games and all the risk entailed to get there. Darksiders III is a miracle product and you still need two more miracles. It's Shenmue tier.
So basically don't take any risks because it might not work out. Seems reasonable.

What do you mean its not about character or world building? You mean to tell me that two importang facets of storytelling are not important to the advancement of the story? Seriously?

Im invested in the story and have been since the first game. The revalations that are revealed in this game completely change and recontextualize the events of both Darksiders 1 and 2 and in doing so advance the story despite not chronologically taking place immediately after. In addition to that Fury ends up being the most interesting of the 3 horsemen we've been shown so far because she's given room to grow and develop as a character unlike War or Death who end the game the same as they started, making her easier to care about and be invested in.

Seperate "I don't like the way this is done" from " this is wrong" because that seems to be your major hangup.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just finished the Lust fight and so far I'm enjoying the hell out of this. Fury has really grown on me and her character has improved so much since the beginning, specially the scene after Lust showed her want she wanted.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

As much as I would love it to go to a fifth game, with low sales not gaurenting future games these days. I know they said something like 100k sales wouldn't be too bad but you never really know what will happen.

So at this point I'm kinda hoping 4 (if it happens) will move the story past the originals cliffhanger ending and into the end game.

Start as Strife to give us the fourth Horseman's story but towards the end have it switch between all 4 of them for an epic finish.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
So basically don't take any risks because it might not work out. Seems reasonable.

That is an uncharitable reading of what I said. I would say that all risks are measurable and that the risk here is great. There is delayed gratification and then there is this: put the conclusion of the story behind four (at the time) AAA games and hope for the best.

Please do not be so rude as to suggest I do not understand risk management.

What do you mean its not about character or world building? You mean to tell me that two importang facets of storytelling are not important to the advancement of the story? Seriously?

Im invested in the story and have been since the first game. The revalations that are revealed in this game completely change and recontextualize the events of both Darksiders 1 and 2 and in doing so advance the story despite not chronologically taking place immediately after. In addition to that Fury ends up being the most interesting of the 3 horsemen we've been shown so far because she's given room to grow and develop as a character unlike War or Death who end the game the same as they started, making her easier to care about and be invested in.

Seperate "I don't like the way this is done" from " this is wrong" because that seems to be your major hangup.

No, and I'll repeat again. Darksiders III could be a wonderful game in and of itself (and in many ways it is) in developing Fury, the third Horseman. I'm glad she got the development she got, but it doesn't advance the story and leaves people who got invested in the franchise for that purpose cold for the second time. Behind another bomb. With at least two more dice rolls to go.

I did not say it's wrong. I said it's a stupid idea. I would suggest that jerking the fanbase around in terms of what each game is and then where the story goes is one of the reasons the series is in the toilet.

I shouldn't have to stipulate that my opinion is my own and that I feel the way I feel and that you don't have to feel the same way. This is a message board.

edit: By the way, I hope we don't have to debate this is a bomb.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Not to mention that almost every big game has some sequel story hooks/cliffhanger in it anyway.

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
That is an uncharitable reading of what I said. I would say that all risks are measurable and that the risk here is great. There is delayed gratification and then there is this: put the conclusion of the story behind four (at the time) AAA games and hope for the best.

Please do not be so rude as to suggest I do not understand risk management.
There are dozens of things that can go wrong in development that exist beyond not getting the opportunity of releasing more games. Including but not limited to:
-Studio meddling
-Project heads leaving
-change of direction
-loss of interest
etc

Nothing in this world is promised, shit changes, shit can happen. Sure some risks are larger than others, but that doesn't make those risks not worth exploring.

No, and I'll repeat again. Darksiders III could be a wonderful game in and of itself (and in many ways it is) in developing Fury, the third Horseman. I'm glad she got the development she got, but it doesn't advance the story and leaves people who got invested in the franchise for that purpose cold for the second time. Behind another bomb. With at least two more dice rolls to go.

If you don't think it advances the story then you've either missed a massively important section of the game or only consider chronological movement "advancement".
If you kill Abraxis and spare the lord of Hollows, the Lord of Hollows reveals to you that he was once a member of the charred council that has since defected due to their meddling in worldly affairs. He also reveals to you that they were responsible for starting the apocalypse early and were working with the destroyer to set things in motion, because they do not actually value balance and instead value the status quo and detest humans like heaven and hell. Which means the horsemen were also manipulated into exterminating the rest of the nephalim for no real reason.

On top of that humans are the true heirs of creation and have been prevented by the machinations of the charred council, heaven and hell from being able to take their rightful place

How is that not an advancement of the story?

I did not say it's wrong. I said it's a stupid idea. I would suggest that jerking the fanbase around in terms of what each game is and then where the story goes is one of the reasons the series is in the toilet.
How is calling it a stupid idea any different from calling it a bad or the wrong idea? At best its a lateral move. From the second game it was pretty clear the direction they wanted to take the franchise. If you didn't expect them to repeat the direction of tweaking the formula with a new protagonist then that's on you.

Myself and many others who have been fans of the game since the beginning enjoyed this game and the others. Thinking that "Wow Darksiders is in the toilet" isn't something that crosses my mind. Because I'm grateful that the series gets to continue and has produced 3 games that ive enjoyed.

I shouldn't have to stipulate that my opinion is my own and that I feel the way I feel and that you don't have to feel the same way. This is a message board.

edit: By the way, I hope we don't have to debate this is a bomb.
If you want to claim that your post is your opinion that's one thing. Attributing your opinions to the entire fanbase is another.

In addition to that. What a "bomb" is is relative. We don't know how much the game cost to make, we know that the budget was smaller than that of the first game and that THQN hoped that the game would sell at least 100k for them to be happy with the games sales. If steamspy is to be believed, then the game nearly reached its sales expectations in a week on PC alone.

A movie that costs 5 million to make that makes 30 million isn't a bomb, it's made back its budget and made a profit. It may not have hit 1 billion like whatever blockbuster released that season. But if it's hit sales expectations and or surprassed them then it's a reasonable success.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
odCitgo.gif

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
Is not replenishing my health and my health potions at Vulgrim's stations a difficulty mode thing (I'm on the one below Apocalyptic) or is it a general thing? Such a puzzling design decision if so. I usually just end up banking my souls and killing myself when I know I'm about to head into a tough/new area.
You get health refills from enemies. They release green lurchers (souls) that add one refill at a time. There's an enhancement that increases drop rate, too. I never found it difficult to get refills throughout my playthrough.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Honestly I would be fine with Strife's game just finishing the story. Sure, it would't be the four horseman extravaganza everyone wants, but it would at least guarantee an end to the story.

Have his prologue be what he was up to during the events of the first three games and then have the majority be post-DS1.

Super unpopular idea, probably, but I'd be cool with it.

Cincaid

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I love this franchise and am currently getting the platinum for DS2 remastered. I remember a lot of the reviews knocked this title for various bugs and performance issues at launch, have those been fixed/patched yet on PS4 (pro)? I really want to play this game but not sure I want to fight against bugs and such.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
I love this franchise and am currently getting the platinum for DS2 remastered. I remember a lot of the reviews knocked this title for various bugs and performance issues at launch, have those been fixed/patched yet on PS4 (pro)? I really want to play this game but not sure I want to fight against bugs and such.
Runs well on Ps4 Pro after the patches. It was a bit messy on launch day but after a week they solved the issues I had.

Currently close to finishing my second run on apocalyptic for the platinum, this is one of my favorite games period. World design is on level with original Dark Souls, combat is top notch and exploring for secret areas have never been more satisfying and rewarding.

It doesnt click right away but when it does its a hell of a game.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Finished it.

My GOTY easily.

Honestly, even all the technical problems don't justify the critical reception this game received.

I played on a base PS4 (waited for the patch) and luckily encountered none of the game halting bugs others have. There was some bad slowdown and flickering textures in certain areas, as well as seemingly random pauses for loading. Otherwise, I found it perfectly playable.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad a lot of people are enjoying this. Along with Detroit, this is the most fun I've had with a game this year.

Oct 25, 2017
I've always wanted Strife's gameplay to be gunkata, but straight up a third person shooter with Darksiders level design could actually be really cool.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Need help with a boss please
How do I damage his 2nd form? I think I have an idea of what to do but I can't seem to damage him
I've always wanted Strife's gameplay to be gunkata, but straight up a third person shooter with Darksiders level design could actually be really cool.
I reall wanna see what happened to his guns? Because the Makers getting their hands on them is a big mystery.
I'd like to think that Strife is
Time hopping like Strife could be at the Forge Lands during DS2 and either lose or give his gun to the Makers, and then there's a stage or section where he ends up giving his other gun to Ulthane to be given to War.

JackSlate

Oct 30, 2017
I can't stop going back to this game. I beat it 5 times since it came out. Something about the combat just clicks with me. Also really enjoy the world design and Fury as a character.

Blu

Oct 25, 2017
Need help with a boss please
How do I damage his 2nd form? I think I have an idea of what to do but I can't seem to damage him
I'm assuming you mean Gluttony? You just stay at far range dodging anything you can and wait until he starts trying to suck you in.

You then walk to the left or right and have him suck in the floating mines.

It will eventually get his life really low which then you just have to walk up to and press a button to do a finishing cinematic kill.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I'm assuming you mean Gluttony? You just stay at far range dodging anything you can and wait until he starts trying to suck you in.

You then walk to the left or right and have him suck in the floating mines.

It will eventually get his life really low which then you just have to walk up to and press a button to do a finishing cinematic kill.
Thanks been teying to have him eat it but to no avail :p

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I'm done with this shit.
I've nearly beaten it and I can't stand playing it anymore. The
second wrath fight
is fucking terrible. It's a shitty end to an awful area.
Why is the worst area in the game also the fucking longest?

Game keeps crashing, has a terrible camera, and boring, ugly areas that drag on forever and end with awful boss fights.

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
The lukewarm reception in the reviews made me stay away (and also the huge BF shopping list) but I want to eventually get into this game since I still own the first two games and it's a shame to not play them all.
There are some things which struck me in the bad reviews tho and I'm hoping some of you to shed some light to know if this is still up my alley.

a. I see a lot of Dark Souls comparisons recently, and how it's seemingly focused on one vs one or one vs two enemies max. I remember the first two games were more like the GoW games, not waves of enemies but more action based. Where does this fall? Can I unlock abilities (like in the new GoW) and chain combos with them, etc?

b. Is the game replayable? I love that about character-action games and I've heard it's on the shorter side so it might work.

c. I know it's not as Zelda inspired as the first two but is there any puzzling or exploration in this one? Also, any shooting sections?

d. Last but not least, I've seen this compared to Lords of the Fallen and I didn't quite like that game to be honest. Is it true?

Oct 28, 2017
The lukewarm reception in the reviews made me stay away (and also the huge BF shopping list) but I want to eventually get into this game since I still own the first two games and it's a shame to not play them all.
There are some things which struck me in the bad reviews tho and I'm hoping some of you to shed some light to know if this is still up my alley.

a. I see a lot of Dark Souls comparisons recently, and how it's seemingly focused on one vs one or one vs two enemies max. I remember the first two games were more like the GoW games, not waves of enemies but more action based. Where does this fall? Can I unlock abilities (like in the new GoW) and chain combos with them, etc?

b. Is the game replayable? I love that about character-action games and I've heard it's on the shorter side so it might work.

c. I know it's not as Zelda inspired as the first two but is there any puzzling or exploration in this one? Also, any shooting sections?

d. Last but not least, I've seen this compared to Lords of the Fallen and I didn't quite like that game to be honest. Is it true?

a. It's basically a Souls game with a worse camera and pretty meh combat. Restart at the bonfire warp/merchant/level up guy when you die. Collect your souls. You unlock weapons with slightly different combos and that's it.

b. I don't even want to finish it one time, so.. no.

c. There are "puzzles" that mostly consist of "use right ability to solve this" It's pretty brainless. You get exploration abilities to find stuff, but they're mostly pretty obvious.

d. The game is mediocre as hell. It starts off pretty okay, but falls the fuck apart about halfway through.

Oct 28, 2017
I have lost count of the times it has crashed, bugged out or just plain broken.
It's full of ugly, boring environments like sewer, or factory, or green factory.
Let's not forget the classic level, red and brown dirt area. No map either, so all those samey looking tunnels, corridors and cave environments? Yeah you sure better remember where everything is once you've been through there. Let's not forget the amazing decision to make how useful your dodge is tied to what difficulty level you're playing on.

I'd say it's pretty warranted to call the game shit. It's shit. It is a bad video game.
So yeah. When I see someone ask for opinions on the game I'm not to tell them exactly how shit the game is.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I have lost count of the times it has crashed, bugged out or just plain broken.

Valid. I didn't encounter any big issues myself but I'd be pissed if I had.
It's full of ugly, boring environments like sewer, or factory, or green factory.
Let's not forget the classic level, red and brown dirt area.

It also has some beautiful ruined cities, caves full of vegetation, there's enough variety in the environments to make each one stand out from the others imo.

No map either, so all those samey looking tunnels, corridors and cave environments? Yeah you sure better remember where everything is once you've been through there.

This is actually a positive for me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Let's not forget the amazing decision to make how useful your dodge is tied to what difficulty level you're playing on.

This was patched out.

I'd say it's pretty warranted to call the game shit. It's shit. It is a bad video game.
So yeah. When I see someone ask for opinions on the game I'm not to tell them exactly how shit the game is.

I mean, it's okay? It's a divisive game. Not sure why you're so upset that other people liked it.

Oct 28, 2017
What gave you the impression I was upset that people liked it? People can like shit games if they want. I was just explaining why I thought it was shit.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
The art design is absolutely on the drab side though it has a few nice locations. But I find your dislike of the final area odd as I found it by far the best area in terms of design and how it asks you to solve and traverse it. I found it very enjoyable. The game's best areas are its latter two and I thought it ended strong.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond

I'm enjoying it for whatever it's worth. I haven't beaten it yet nor am I a Dark Souls player so I can't make comparisons but I think it's fun game with decent environments. I play lots of adventures and RPGs and I enjoyed the older Darksiders as well.

But maybe I'm a super casual who likes shit games idk - but I'm having fun with it.

LatscherGnu

Apr 23, 2018

to add to what's already been said:

b) some speedrunners took a liking to it mapping out runs, very little slow parts that are a drag to get through a 2nd time (speedrun is down to 48 minutes i think) but the game isn't designed for replayability

d) only in so far as it copies some dark souls elements and it doesn't come together like dark souls does

I love the game but it does have one major issue for many players and that's the camera, even after the patch that helped some. On pc m+kb might actually be better for this game because of it. Fighting unlocked is much better for most of the game so you need to be comfortable being your own cameraman even when things get hectic. If you're from the hardcore dark souls pvp crowd that prefers it that way anyway you're good, otherwise have a look at how you play this type of game because using the right stick for cam all the time during combat while having buttons to press is not intuitive.