• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly the best way is to probably play on the lowest difficulty setting. The game is unfortunately not as hack n slash as 1 or 2 are and you'll only really achieve a close approximation at lower difficulties.

That's a shame. It's not the difficulty level I have a problem with (it's been fine on Balanced so far), it's just that the Souls-style checkpointing forces you to play slowly and gingerly and I'm really just not in the mood for that right now. I'll happily play a hard game with generous checkpointing, but a medium difficulty game with checkpoints really far apart just stresses me out.

Oh well, I guess it's my bad for not doing my research before I bought the game, but I just assumed it was another hack'n'slash-y Darksiders. I did watch a few of the promotional gameplay videos, but then I guess they aren't likely to show you the player dying in their own promotional material :P

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If there was ever a game that hyped me up before release, then be so deflated when the reviews came out.....only now to be pumped up again because of this thread, it's this game!

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
The pre-avarice "dungeon" is good. A little basic but it's basically close enough to Zelda for me.

Oct 25, 2017
Question for PC players: when you've played the game for a while, do you start to notice as you turn corners that the game is like... aggressively culling the "out of frame" environment or something? Like, as I turn a corner, a lot of the time it's as if the game isn't quite caught up to the fact that I should be able to see something and is lagging in loading in the environment. It is really ugly, impacts performance of course.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Question for PC players: when you've played the game for a while, do you start to notice as you turn corners that the game is like... aggressively culling the "out of frame" environment or something? Like, as I turn a corner, a lot of the time it's as if the game isn't quite caught up to the fact that I should be able to see something and is lagging in loading in the environment. It is really ugly, impacts performance of course.

Yes, it's very distracting. Little white flickers of space before the game fills them back in.

Oct 27, 2017
For a lower budget game, it still looks pretty good on the One X. If we are to compare the graphics of Nier Automata (a similar lower budget game sold for $60). This game looks like The Order 1886 compared to Nier.

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
Loving this game a lot, but damn I've hit a wall with gluttony. Cruising until then.
Yeah, he's an ass. The camera/lock on ain't working great for this fight either.

You know, I like the game. It's rough as shit though. Mid level loads everywhere and it seems like Fury spends as much time crawling through vents and holes as she does just walking around. Game definitely needed some more time in the oven but what's here isn't terrible.

Lust fight spoiler
Strife looks like he fell off the Destiny 3 train but I dig it.

Jinaar

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton AB
Just finished the game. Sweet jebus, I had a blast with this game. We need a Strife game after this. After crushing Sunset Overdrive on PC and now this, boy this last month has been a gem of a time on PC.

The game was actually pretty long for me. 20 hrs, because I did a lot of back tracking and searching. I will not score this game with numbers, only with Joy and it is was a Joy to play. It was a great video game. Remember what those were like, reviewers? When you played games for fun? I had started DS2 again just before DS3 came out so I will be heading back to my time with Death and then I think DS1.

pixelpatron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
Haven't kept up on this thread and trying to avoid spoilers. Was there a patch for PS4 pro for day 1, or any other updates since? How's it play on Pro overall? (Some early impressions mentioned stuttering and other technical hiccups and frame rate dips).

Ironed out? (Possibly adding this to my Christmas list).

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it's very distracting. Little white flickers of space before the game fills them back in.

I've seen this too, on console though.

I'm actually surprised how much I've been liking this, but the tech side is a bummer. I'm on a 1x and the frame rate is a super unstable 30, the loading is pretty long, weird loading transitions in levels, etc. Ironing out the frame rate atleast would go a long way, but there's a roughness to this that I don't think will ever get truly fixed.

Still, I've been pretty glued to it so far.

Blu

Oct 25, 2017
Help with two item spots:

How do you get to the other side of the gate that is located directly to the right of the Sunken Tracks serpent hole in the Depths?

Also in the Depths where you have to hit all three swords, how do you get the item in the left corner of the room you enter?

Also also, I don't believe there's a New Game +? I don't think I'll be able to get 1 mill soul achievement since I'm so close to the ending. Is there a good place to farm them?

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
Help with two item spots:

How do you get to the other side of the gate that is located directly to the right of the Sunken Tracks serpent hole in the Depths?

Also in the Depths where you have to hit all three swords, how do you get the item in the left corner of the room you enter?

Also also, I don't believe there's a New Game +? I don't think I'll be able to get 1 mill soul achievement since I'm so close to the ending. Is there a good place to farm them?
The souls achievement carries over saves, which is true for any pretty any achievement in this game about collecting, the best place is blistering bride with havoc.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Any word on a console patch? I am waiting for a patch or two to improve performance and other little issues some have been reporting.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
More pics, game is a blast and looks awesome:

darksiders3-win64-shicfc71.png

darksiders3-win64-shi44d16.png

darksiders3-win64-shikgibc.png

darksiders3-win64-shiixcp3.png

darksiders3-win64-shi9li17.png

Nov 13, 2017
Anyone have a great farm spot for Havoc form kills? I'm currently doing a room in The Hollows where about 20 skeletons spawn. Have a Balanced Obscurus to help rebuild and about 8 Havoc Shards left. I am nowhere near 666 kills.

Last edited:

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have a great farm spot for Havoc form kills? I'm currently doing a room in The Hollows where about 20 skeletons spawn. Have a Balanced Obscurus to help rebuild and about 8 Havoc Shards left. I am nowhere near 666 kills.
Go to west end and run around and you can get 15 kills only using 20% of the meter(you can tag out of the mode)than just fill it up

Oct 26, 2017
Personally I feel it's quite actiony, you just need to know the enemies really well, similar to nioh. You've got be ahead of the enemy.

Edit: meant to be a gif, does gfycat no longer work here ?

Last edited:

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I went back and gave the game another go after being initially turned off by the Souls elements, and I'm actually really enjoying it. This game isn't amazing, and the low budget shows in some really unfortunate performance and loading issues, but I really feel like it punches above its weight. The combat is pretty fun, the general level traversal is smooth and easy, and so far it's been throwing interesting new enemies and challenges at me to keep things steaming along nicely. I just beat Sloth and I'm making my way towards the next Sin, and while at first I found the Skyrim-style compass a little obnoxious, I've actually grown to like it because it does such a good job of showing where I'm not supposed to go. With the compass marker always pointing towards the path to progress, you always know which fork in the path is going to lead to a juicy little optional secret. It's a great feature.

Now that I have more of a handle on the controls I'm not quite so worried about the Souls-style permadeath. It took me a while to work out how the health system worked and why I wasn't respawning with a full array of Nephilim Respites, but now that I know what I'm doing I'm making good headway. The combat system is definitely best suited to one-on-one combat, and it's a little too easy to get stunlocked when certain combinations of enemies sync their attacks up in just the right way, but it's all manageable. I do think it's worth playing on a higher difficulty if you're really looking for a challenge, because I've found that popping a Strength Shard and Havoc Form will just melt bosses, but that's still enjoyable in its own way.

The PC version at 60FPS with shorter load times must be a real treat, because the performance is really my only complaint. I'm playing on an XB1X and the framerate is shaky at best, with some moments of huge choppiness in open areas. Load times on death are also brutal, and every now and then you'll get one of those screeches to a halt as the game struggles to load in the next part of the level. But, y'know, you can't hold it against them knowing the budget they must have been working with.

Is there any way to manually save, by the way? It always makes me nervous when I can't lay down a manual save before quitting for the night.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I went back and gave the game another go after being initially turned off by the Souls elements, and I'm actually really enjoying it. This game isn't amazing, and the low budget shows in some really unfortunate performance and loading issues, but I really feel like it punches above its weight. The combat is pretty fun, the general level traversal is smooth and easy, and so far it's been throwing interesting new enemies and challenges at me to keep things steaming along nicely. I just beat Sloth and I'm making my way towards the next Sin, and while at first I found the Skyrim-style compass a little obnoxious, I've actually grown to like it because it does such a good job of showing where I'm not supposed to go. With the compass marker always pointing towards the path to progress, you always know which fork in the path is going to lead to a juicy little optional secret. It's a great feature.

Now that I have more of a handle on the controls I'm not quite so worried about the Souls-style permadeath. It took me a while to work out how the health system worked and why I wasn't respawning with a full array of Nephilim Respites, but now that I know what I'm doing I'm making good headway. The combat system is definitely best suited to one-on-one combat, and it's a little too easy to get stunlocked when certain combinations of enemies sync their attacks up in just the right way, but it's all manageable. I do think it's worth playing on a higher difficulty if you're really looking for a challenge, because I've found that popping a Strength Shard and Havoc Form will just melt bosses, but that's still enjoyable in its own way.

The PC version at 60FPS with shorter load times must be a real treat, because the performance is really my only complaint. I'm playing on an XB1X and the framerate is shaky at best, with some moments of huge choppiness in open areas. Load times on death are also brutal, and every now and then you'll get one of those screeches to a halt as the game struggles to load in the next part of the level. But, y'know, you can't hold it against them knowing the budget they must have been working with.

Is there any way to manually save, by the way? It always makes me nervous when I can't lay down a manual save before quitting for the night.

It seems like pausing and quitting forces a manual save. I've only ever done that by Vulgrim though.

Blu

Oct 25, 2017
Got 100%. Wish this had more of a budget since some cutscenes, dialogue and VO seemed really uneven in this game compared to the last two. Overall, I really enjoyed my time with it.

One thing that stuck out to me in the story:

When you defeat Lust, they mention they would rat out where Envy is. Envy was the first sin was the first sin you defeated.

Obviously it wasn't actually her but Fury seems to go with it and asks why they would do that. I feel like it would've made more sense for her to be confused or inquire more about Envy who was supposed to be dead at that point.

If Lust had just said the rest of the sins it would've been fine but specifically mentioning Envy seemed weird to me given whats already happened in the story.

Other then that, story is really straight forward and doesn't really add anything to the overall Darksiders mythos. Which is disappointing to say the least.

Combat is very simple. If they had added a few more combo routes and a grab option to pull enemies in (come on we're using whip) it might've been a little more varied and fun.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
while at first I found the Skyrim-style compass a little obnoxious, I've actually grown to like it because it does such a good job of showing where I'm not supposed to go. With the compass marker always pointing towards the path to progress, you always know which fork in the path is going to lead to a juicy little optional secret. It's a great feature.

I agree and it's good they chose this because it gives you a vague direction but you still need to explore. Exploration in this kind of games is vital and it's great in Darksiders III.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Got 100%. Wish this had more of a budget since some cutscenes, dialogue and VO seemed really uneven in this game compared to the last two. Overall, I really enjoyed my time with it.

One thing that stuck out to me in the story:

When you defeat Lust, they mention they would rat out where Envy is. Envy was the first sin was the first sin you defeated.

Obviously it wasn't actually her but Fury seems to go with it and asks why they would do that. I feel like it would've made more sense for her to be confused or inquire about more about Envy who was supposed to be dead at that point.

If Lust had just said the rest of the sins it would've been fine but specifically mentioning Envy seemed weird to me given whats already happened in the story.

Other then that, story is really straight forward and doesn't really add anything to the overall Darksiders mythos. Which is disappointing to say the least.

Combat is very simple. If they had added a few more combo routes and a grab option to pull enemies in (come on we're using whip) it might've been a little more varied and fun.

Yea, I agree on the story on Lust calling out that she could help find Envy. Fury should have either been confused, or (falsely) restated her confidence that she's already defeated Envy, because then at least the player would be tipped off a bit. But she ignores the statement entirely, which makes it feel more like a mistake than a deliberate planting of doubt.

Blu

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, I agree on the story on Lust calling out that she could help find Envy. Fury should have either been confused, or (falsely) restated her confidence that she's already defeated Envy, because then at least the player would be tipped off a bit. But she ignores the statement entirely, which makes it feel more like a mistake than a deliberate planting of doubt.
Fury does acknowledge it but it's just seems like an illogical retort.

It seems like that exchange was specifically made to mention Envy and have Lust look at the Watcher to further hint it. Otherwise the twist would come out of nowhere.

The only other time it's foreshadowed is when you talk to Abraxis and he's completely missable so maybe they felt compelled to do it?

I still think Lust saying they would give up the rest of the sins and looking at the Watcher would make more sense and flow better.

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017
Does this play similarly to the first Darksiders or does it have a more open world like the second one?

Neither IMO, it's more of a Metroidvania structure. You have some freedom in where you want to go next, but everything is pretty tight and connected with many small optional areas with secrets.

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I don't know what engine this game is on, but I notice this on a LOT of UE4 games, even on consoles. Drives me nuts and takes me out of the game, despite how fleeting it is.

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what engine this game is on, but I notice this on a LOT of UE4 games, even on consoles. Drives me nuts and takes me out of the game, despite how fleeting it is.

Pretty sure this game is UE4 as well. I've also noticed it in several games on this engine, but after some time it doesn't bother me a anymore.

Maybe you can adjust overscan options to hide the edges of the screen?

Deleted member 4044

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The more I play this, the more I wish the game had leaned into its Dark Souls inspiration by going further on Souls collecting, weapon upgrades, healing, etc. But I'm still having a blast with it. Don't let the reviews stop you from trying this one out. It has its technical issues and bugs, sure, but this is such a breath of fresh air after playing the incredibly boring Shadow of the Tomb Raider.