• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
TsQOXwu.gif

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
a. I see a lot of Dark Souls comparisons recently, and how it's seemingly focused on one vs one or one vs two enemies max. I remember the first two games were more like the GoW games, not waves of enemies but more action based. Where does this fall? Can I unlock abilities (like in the new GoW) and chain combos with them, etc?

b. Is the game replayable? I love that about character-action games and I've heard it's on the shorter side so it might work.

c. I know it's not as Zelda inspired as the first two but is there any puzzling or exploration in this one? Also, any shooting sections?

d. Last but not least, I've seen this compared to Lords of the Fallen and I didn't quite like that game to be honest. Is it true?

Alright, So i'll post my thoughts about your questions:

A. It compares to Dark Souls in a few minor ways. But in my opinion it's a pretty unimaginative comparison to make.
Yes, there "save points" that you start from but every other game system works differently besides that. Your health potions are refilled by killing enemies and you have items that have a potential to refill them faster. You collect souls to spend on levels, but that was the case in earlier darksiders games as well.
You have to be more deliberate in the way you fight. Going in headfirst isn't going to work anymore. If that makes it more Dark Souls, so be it.
That said, there are still areas where you fight about 8-10 enemies at the same time. It is definitely more forgiving than Dark souls.
Each weapon you collect has its own move set. Button combo's are different, different specials and charge attacks as well. The weapons are collected as the game progresses, but you get all abilities from the start. You can upgrade the weapons and enhance them with gems though.

B. The game is replayable to a certain degree. There are choices you can make that alter outcomes and there are very likely secret areas you'll have missed on a first play through.

C. There are puzzle sections yes and path finding/ exploring is a big part of the game. The puzzles aren't as obvious as they were in previous games.
They feel like a more fluid part of the level progression. Finding secret areas with optional bosses or upgrades is good fun imho.

D. It is NOT AT ALL like LotF. Both take inspiration from Dark Souls but Lords of the Fallen was a game with poor unresponsive combat.
Poor enemy design. It just blatantly ripped off Dark Souls.
Darksiders 3 takes some inspiration from Dark Souls but at its core is still very much a Darksiders game.
I view it much more as a natural progression of where Darksiders started with its first release, rather than just ripping off Dark Souls.

Last edited:

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
Alright, So i'll post my thoughts about your questions:

A. It compares to Dark Souls in a few minor ways. But in my opinion it's a pretty unimaginative comparison to make.
Yes, there "save points" that you start from but every other game system works differently besides that. Your health potions are refilled by killing enemies and you have items that have a potential to refill them faster. You collect souls to spend on levels, but that was the case in earlier darksiders games as well.
You have to be more deliberate in the way you fight. Going in headfirst isn't going to work anymore. If that makes it more Dark Souls, so be it.
That said, there are still areas where you fight about 8-10 enemies at the same time. It is definitely more forgiving than Dark souls.
Each weapon you collect has its own move set. Button combo's are different, different specials and charge attacks as well. The weapons are collected as the game progresses, but you get all abilities from the start. You can upgrade the weapons and enhance them with gems though.

B. The game is replayable to a certain degree. There are choices you can make that alter outcomes and there are very likely secret areas you'll have missed on a first play through.

C. There are puzzle sections yes and path finding/ exploring is a big part of the game. The puzzles aren't as obvious as they were in previous games.
They feel like a more fluid part of the level progression. Finding secret areas with optional bosses or upgrades is good fun imho.

D. It is NOT AT ALL like LotF. Both take inspiration from Dark Souls but Lords of the Fallen was a game with poor unresponsive combat.
Poor enemy design. It just blatantly ripped of Dark Souls.
Darksiders 3 takes some inspiration from Dark Souls but at its core is still very much a Darksiders game.
I view it much more as a natural progression of where Darksiders started with its first release, rather than just ripping off Dark Souls.

Thank you for your answers. You might have just sold me on the game. As soon as I'm done with my current backlog, I'm going to jump straight into this one.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I've watched a bunch of demonic artifact location videos and i'm still 2 short of what i need for the 5th balanced enhancement trophy....ugh.

Wish they would have at least show how many artifacts/humans are in each area and how many you've collected so far if they wanted to make those kinds of trophies.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
I've watched a bunch of demonic artifact location videos and i'm still 2 short of what i need for the 5th balanced enhancement trophy....ugh.

Wish they would have at least show how many artifacts/humans are in each area and how many you've collected so far if they wanted to make those kinds of trophies.
After I beat the game I went through every area again and looked for secrets, I managed to get all 5 to balanced but the last human eluded me for a while. It can be frustrating when your just looking for that last thing in a huge world. On my second playthrough I managed to find even more artifacts though so I think there are some extra ones

Blu10

Oct 27, 2017
After I beat the game I went through every area again and looked for secrets, I managed to get all 5 to balanced but the last human eluded me for a while. It can be frustrating when your just looking for that last thing in a huge world. On my second playthrough I managed to find even more artifacts though so I think there are some extra ones

So after you beat it you can continue your save for the things you missed?

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
New Patch (about 7 gb) on the staging branch on Steam.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/606280/discussions/0/3216031607490617504/

Improvements:
  • Added new option for Combat. Upon loading a save or starting a new game, players will be prompted to choose between "Default" and "Classic" combat. "Classic" mode should feel more like previous Darksiders titles allowing Fury to dodge interrupt her attacks as well use items instantly. "Default" mode is the original combat mode for Darksiders III. The option can be changed at any point in gameplay options while playing. This has no other effects on difficulty or achievements.
  • Improved ledge grab detection on Fury so she can more consistently grab ledges.
  • Additional optimizations to help stuttering while streaming.
  • Added "Health Lurcher" item to Vulgrim that allows player to purchase refills for Nephilim's Respite .
  • Added "Echo Mark" item to Vulgrim that allows player to refund their spent attribute points.
  • Added a few new checkpoints.
  • Raised the level cap to 200. Also, rebalanced leveling curve post level 80 as well as stat rewards..

Fixes:
  • Fixes for random crashes
  • General performance improvements.
  • Fix for Force Coral where it wouldn't break correctly. This will also fix previous saves with this issue.
  • Fix for some checkpoints that weren't registering.
  • Cycling difficulty options while in game will not affect actual difficulty unless it is changed.
  • Fix for Abraxis Health bar showing up but he is missing.

Balance Changes:
  • Fury will no longer take damage while performing an Arcane Counters.
  • Havoc Form does more Damage.
  • Increased Havoc Generation on Obscurus Enhancement.
  • Increased Health and Damage amounts on Fortifier Enhancement.
  • Increased Health Regeneration on Leviathan Enhancement.
  • Increased Lurcher Reward from destroying breakables on Leviathan Enhancement.
  • Increased Chance to Spawn Wrath when killing an Enemy on Rage Enhancement.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Playing Classic mode (still going through my first playthrough) just feels better overall so far.

Healing still takes time and is affected by frame recovery so it's not as big of a buff as youd think, you still need to be tactical about when to heal. Animation cancelling seems to only affect primary attacks, which works well enough for switching it up with the Hollow attacks when being defensive.

Purchasable health lurchers fixes one of my biggest qualms with the Dark Souls inspired bonfire design since often times your best option as a player is to just kill yourself right outside of Vulgrims shops to refill your Respite.

Last edited:

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
Healing still takes time and is affected by frame recovery so it's not as big of a buff as youd think, you still need to be tactical about when to heal. Animatiom cancelling seems to only affect primary attacks, which works well enough for switching it up with the Hollow attacks when being defensive.

Attack canceling is a pretty huge buff and will make the game a lot easier because the majority of your damage comes from primary attacks and they are now completely safe.

Prolepro

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Attack canceling is a pretty huge buff and will make the game a lot easier because the majority of your damage comes from primary attacks and they are now completely safe.
But since the majority of combat balance seems to revolve around hit stun, having the animation cancelling added mostly just helps with dodging attacks from enemies that you arent targeting or miss, or are about to be hit by when they gain super armor, which the game has an overall problem with between the awkward camera lock and incoming enemy hit indicators. If the game wasnt so reliant on hit stun Id say this change would make the game too easy, but Im finding the game to be a lot better for it (have been playing on Nightmare).

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
But since the majority of combat balance seems to revolve around hit stun, having the animation cancelling added mostly just helps with dodging attacks from enemies that you arent targeting or miss, or are about to be hit by when they gain super armor, which the game has an overall problem with between the awkward camera lock and incoming enemy hit indicators. If the game wasnt so reliant on hit stun Id say this change would make the game too easy, but Im finding the game to be a lot better for it (have been playing on Nightmare).

I didn't use the camera lock at all (played on PC with MKB) so I didn't have any issues with seeing enemies. Keeping track of enemies and planning your attacks accordingly was a big part of the combat, so making attacks completely safe will make group combat a lot easier.

The biggest issue I had with the combat were the particles. It was often hard to read enemy tells because there was so many particles obscuring them. It was especially problematic for attacks with super armor.

It's kind of annoying when games nerf difficulty post launch. Beating the game on the highest difficulty was significantly harder at launch than it will be after this patch.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just tried the new patch. Couple of things:

- I definitely prefer classic mode. The combat is more fluid there and I like being able to heal instantly.

- Performance is much improved. The previous patch also gave a huge boost in performance, but all the cutscenes still tanked, and the final boss encounter had tons of frame drops and stutter (8600k and 1070). Now, with the new patch, the boss fight was butter smooth and the cutscenes around it ran flawlessly.

Curious to see if this is true throughout the game. The last area, The Scar, also ran poorly with the previous patch... drops into 40s. That area was the worst in the game though, everything else before it ran fairly smooth on the previous patch. I would like to see how much the performance has improved there. I also played the first half of the game on the vanilla version, so I'd like to see how much better that all is after two big patches.

It's a shame they released this game in the state it was in. The game is fantastic, and had it been like this on launch, the reception would have been much better.

deejay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who expected more Darksiders but instead got a different kind of combat system with DS3 I was excited and disappointed at the same time. As I'm getting older I notice it's getting harder to keep playing games where I have to retread my steps and fight everything again every time I die. I can imagine people complaining about the game without having read any (p)reviews. I didn't read anything either. The combat has to be your cup of tea. To be honest it isn't mine, anymore, but I do enjoy the game so far because it does have that Darksiders vibe/atmosphere that I really like. Plus, secrets and whatnot.

Edit: saw I posted a lot of gibberish.

Last edited:

Prolepro

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I didn't use the camera lock at all (played on PC with MKB) so I didn't have any issues with seeing enemies. Keeping track of enemies and planning your attacks accordingly was a big part of the combat, so making attacks completely safe will make group combat a lot easier.

The biggest issue I had with the combat were the particles. It was often hard to read enemy tells because there was so many particles obscuring them. It was especially problematic for attacks with super armor.

It's kind of annoying when games nerf difficulty post launch. Beating the game on the highest difficulty was significantly harder at launch than it will be after this patch.
Im doing the same as you but I think actively changing your gameplay behvior and avoiding such a basic feature as a target lock on indicates there's a big problem, so something that alleviates that is at least a step in the right direction.

The particle thing is exactly why this change, while perhaps just a bandaid, is an overall good one imo.

Either way, it is entirely optional.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Maybe I missed it in those patch noets but they need to make it so that pressing Lock On will also center the camera infront of you.
So that it becomes Lock on+center camera.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow, the performance is hugely improved with the latest patch. Also, being able to switch between Classic and Default combat at any time is a nice touch. I really appreciate the changes they've made based on the feedback. I wish some reviewers would consider going back and reevaluating the game at some point, but whatever.

I'll definitely be replaying this in the future just to see how different it is from the beginning.

Both at the same time. Reason I bring this up is because during my last playthrough I'd turn around to face an enemy but holding the lock on button doesn't centre the camera :X

If you change the lock on to Hold instead of Toggle, it does center the camera. The only downside is you have to hold the left trigger to stay locked onto an enemy, but I've never found that to be a problem, personally.

EDIT: Oh, I see what you mean now. When you lock on to an enemy off-screen, you want the camera to swing around and automatically center the enemy on-screen.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Very glad to see Gunfire are making meaningful improvements with these patches. I guess they'll keep supporting it for a while since there's DLC coming.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Welp just beat the game and I got a few questions
So was Jones Strife in disguise all along? Curious to see what his story would be, esp. if he has the ability to shapeshift, would make for an interesting ability if they could incorporate it into his gameplay style.

So when the game starts, War is tried by the Council and then imprisoned, and the events of DS1 take place after 3?

Envy really is envious to take on the forms of the Riders :V

I enjoyed my time with the game and it seems the latest update shows a new area in Vulgrim's teleport option. So I guess the bonus dungeon in the season pass is releasing soon.
I need to save space on my HDD so I'll delete the game for now but it got me interested in replaying DS1 again XP.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Picked up the Trilogy just before 3 came out as I had never beaten 2 and only played 1 once when it came out.

Decided to platinum both before beginning the third and it sounds like I made the right call. Just have to finish another playthrough of 2 on Deathinitive and I can finally start 3.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
Picked up the Trilogy just before 3 came out as I had never beaten 2 and only played 1 once when it came out.

Decided to platinum both before beginning the third and it sounds like I made the right call. Just have to finish another playthrough of 2 on Deathinitive and I can finally start 3.

an excellent choice. These games are amazing

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
Welp just beat the game and I got a few questions
So was Jones Strife in disguise all along? Curious to see what his story would be, esp. if he has the ability to shapeshift, would make for an interesting ability if they could incorporate it into his gameplay style.

So when the game starts, War is tried by the Council and then imprisoned, and the events of DS1 take place after 3?

Ya he was Strife the whole time. He was trying to temper and make Fury more introspective the entire time.

Darksiders 1 takes place at the furthest point in time. 3 seems to be the earliest aside from the small prologue at the beginning of 1. I'd hazard a guess and say Strife will have the most "important" storyline of the four as far as the overarching narrative is concerned before we get the finale game. Dunno what it would be but judging by his need to stay incognito, he probably has more of a heads up in terms of all the meddling in the background and is actively investigating it rather than the other 3 which are more focused on their given task.

Hopefully we'll get the next two games if all things go according to plan for them. I don't know or think they would do *another* pre-finale game after doing Strife's game.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
One thing we can agree on about Strife is that his game will finally explain how he lost his damned guns.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
So, they released new beta patch on Steam and now there are two options for the combat in the game.

One similar to previous two games and default one from D3. Anyone tested this yet? What are the differences? How does new(old) combat feels?

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I got the platinum yesterday

Overall im happy with the game, when THQ went bankrupt i assumed the franchise was dead and was happy when DS3 was announced despite knowing that it's budget would only be a fraction of what it was.

I really only have two issues with the game.

1.Lack of puzzles (These are what made the first two games stand out so much)

2.Tech problems. This is maybe the buggiest game i've played on my PS4, even on my PS4 pro the performance was all over the place and the game randomly loads all over the place. It crashed more than all my other PS4 games combined. It's really frustrating to see that they apparently have significantly improved on these issues for the PC version in just a couple of weeks, if they can fix these issues in a month then they should have delayed the game

The only thing they accomplished by rushing it out was assuring that it would get slaughtered by holiday juggernauts at retail and lowering its metacritic score. This is a good video game it's just plagued by tech issues.

deejay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can we begin already our top 3 list of DArksiders games from best to worst?

Simple: 1-2-3.
One being awesome and to the point (not too much filler in my opinion).
Two being bigger but not necessarily better. I liked the open world and loot system.
Three having the same vibe as 1, but with decent and frustrating combat. It wastes a lot of my time.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
3,2,1 for me

I'm loving the combat and exploration in 3. Something I love the most in ARPG games.
The combat and loot system in 2 was a lot of fun, dungeons were great and puzzles were challenging.
1 was a good start, but I feel like the combat was most shallow of all 3 games. Pretty much the most important part in an ARPG imho. Puzzles were too obvious and the game was on the short side.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
is there an eta for the new patch on consoles? gunfires twitter and website have nothing.

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
Can we begin already our top 3 list of DArksiders games from best to worst?
3>2>1 for me.

I liked the others but one thing that tips the balance for 3 is the fact that there's no map, you play this game by paying attention to the world around you not icons on a minimap. I really didn't care for the way the other 2 games spoiled most secrets by showing where every chest was before you even got close, exploration simply wasn't as good as it could have been.

Apr 16, 2018
I tried to like Darksiders 3, I really, really did...

But this game is a poor-man's Dark Souls in every way, and that's not a good thing.

The platforming is bad, the optimization is bad, the Dark Souls elements are bad and poorly implemented, and Fury is just the least fun and interesting horseman to play so far.

I disliked this game so much I went out and bought the previous games to see if I was tripping, or if the series is really this bad.

It's just this game. The other two are so much better to play it's like a night and day difference. I know this game is much lower budget, but it's a turd with some great moments.

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
1 felt like a great Zelda clone but the weakest combat.

Hmmm, I wouldn't say it was the weakest for what it was. It was certainly the most straightforward, but you could have a lot of fun with it.

Darksiders 1's biggest shortcoming, I would say, is the boss fights. Aside from the last one (The destroyer), the four chosen ones were weirdly all some sort of a titan fight, and there's very little skill involved. Aside from the big worm the chosen ones were such disappointing bosses.

I would have loved for them to stretch them out, add another phase that is purely combat to each of them.

Jan 11, 2018
It's hard to rank them because they're actually very different games. For me, 1 had the best dungeons and puzzles, 2 had the best music, art direction and combat, and 3 had the best structure, exploration, and boss battles. I can't wait to see what they do with 4.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to rank them because they're actually very different games. For me, 1 had the best dungeons and puzzles, 2 had the best music, art direction and combat, and 3 had the best structure, exploration, and boss battles. I can't wait to see what they do with 4.
Agreed, the way they feel completely different is why I love the series. I like 2 the most and struggle to choose between 3 and 1.