• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
It's hard to rank them because they're actually very different games. For me, 1 had the best dungeons and puzzles, 2 had the best music, art direction and combat, and 3 had the best structure, exploration, and boss battles. I can't wait to see what they do with 4.

This is where I'm at with it. The games all have different strengths. I have trouble picking a favourite.

Amon Lau

Oct 27, 2017
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
an excellent choice.
lol I hear Vulgrim's voice whenever I read that line~

Can we begin already our top 3 list of DArksiders games from best to worst?
1>3>2
1 will always have a special place in my heart, the exploration and Zelda like feel was fun!
3 while I wasn't a big fan of the Dark Souls feel it got going I liked it still felt more 1 then 2, no more loot drops was a big plus!
2 really the world felt too big for me and the loot system really felt suffocating at times...

Last edited:

Borowski

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Jun 24, 2018
After patch 1.04 the game is much more stable in terms of performance even on base PS4

Almost no fps drops or stutters.

This is how the game should have been at launch, but it's not too late for those who wanted to play it

Help the studio and the franchise and give it a go.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
so just got the game, im a bit in after Envy so I havent played much, but where is this new combat option supposed to be? I cant find anything in the options.

I'm on PC btw.

Kelegacy

Nov 12, 2017
Maine
I beat the game on PC on Thursday or Friday. Great game. Surprised me as my expectation were low after liking the first 2 games.

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've heard enough positive feedback from endusers that I'm willing to jump in. I do think there will be a post Christmas sale so I can wait a bit.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
I've heard enough positive feedback from endusers that I'm willing to jump in. I do think there will be a post Christmas sale so I can wait a bit.

Critics tend to be predictable. They prioritize writing and presentation above all else. Darksiders 3 doesn't have particularly good writing (although it's no worse than the first two games) and it lacks the production values of its $60 AAA competitors. Critics also tend to be pretty bad at games, so DS3's difficulty at launch was a bit much for them.

Having played and enjoyed all three games, I'd probably put DS3 in-between DS1 and 2. I thought the first game was solid if forgettable and really enjoyed the second. DS3 definitely feels more like DS1 in terms of scale though it is less linear. I'd give it a solid 8/10. The combat is fun and exploration is enjoyable, especially as you unlock new abilities that give you more traversal options.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
Critics tend to be predictable. They prioritize writing and presentation above all else. Darksiders 3 doesn't have particularly good writing (although it's no worse than the first two games) and it lacks the production values of its $60 AAA competitors. Critics also tend to be pretty bad at games, so DS3's difficulty at launch was a bit much for them.

Having played and enjoyed all three games, I'd probably put DS3 in-between DS1 and 2. I thought the first game was solid if forgettable and really enjoyed the second. DS3 definitely feels more like DS1 in terms of scale though it is less linear. I'd give it a solid 8/10. The combat is fun and exploration is enjoyable, especially as you unlock new abilities that give you more traversal options.

that's actually pretty spot on. Critics will praise a mediocre gift in an awesome box,rather an awesome gift in a mediocre box.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I finished up this weekend. Very enjoyable. I'd put it solidly alongside the first two. I'm not even sure how I'd rank the 3 against each other. I played them too far apart, and they're too different. But this one holds up just fine.

It's buggy (I hit several, but not severe), the lock-on camera needs to be at a significantly higher angle, and I'd have hoped for more puzzles. But the combat is very good, the ability-based progression and exploration is solid and fun, and the enemy and world design are excellent.

And though the story is barebones, it is intriguing alongside the other two. I feel like hitting up youtube for a recap of the whole thing, and any insights on how it all fits together so far. I certainly hope we get another game, or better yet, two, to tie this all together and wrap it up.

Definitely going to be on my top 10 list, not bad in what was an amazing year in gaming.

Nov 13, 2017
Finished on Apocalyptic on Saturday and got the platinum. Great game plagued by performance issues. Would still highly recommend it to anyone.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Headed to the 6th Sin after taking care of an optional boss.

Outside of some (now) minor technical hiccups I have had a great time - no idea what was up with the reviews.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Headed to the 6th Sin after taking care of an optional boss.

Outside of some (now) minor technical hiccups I have had a great time - no idea what was up with the reviews.
Pretty much my experience. The Scar is where, no matter what version you are playing, the game tends to take a dive in the technical department.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
I have to say, I wasn't the biggest fan of either Darksiders game on PS3, despite platinuming both. But as a huge Souls fan, I found myself enjoying this one immensely. Played mostly on the 1.03 patch, which I understand improved the game quite a bit over review/launch builds. Went straight into Apocalyptic for the plat, which I got a week or three ago. Still annoyed we don't have a true sequel to the first game's ending, but I'm pretty sure we all know that won't happen until a Darksiders 5, if at all.

The game got me to revisit Darksiders Warmastered Edition and Darksiders II Deathinitive Edition. Wound up double-platting both in the process. They haven't aged all that well. Darksiders III will likely age better.

I think a shit review build really screwed up those first post-launch impressions. Game's easily worth a shot now. It's a cross between the original Darksiders and Dark Souls. Little, other than some creature designs, comes from Darksiders II. Probably for the best.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I platinum'd the game and i think the metacritic score is very understandable. I'm playing on a PS4 pro and the game probably has the most tech problems i've played of any ps4 game, i'd hate to see how badly it runs on the base consoles.

If polished it would probably be 15 points higher on metacritic.

Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished the game now, I forgot to visit the Lord of Hollows so got the base ending.

I ended up really enjoying it in the end, even as someone who hates Dark Souls style games (however this did mean I had to knock the game down to Easy as I could not be done with those awful respawns at Vulgrim).

The plot is paper thin at the start of the game but does develop itself towards to end. I would've liked to see what Uriel did after the Lust fight and seeing Ulthane again was nice.

Yeah, the game needed (and still needs) a lot of polish, puzzles need to be bigger and the plot needs more meat on the bones to start. But otherwise, it's good.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
The plot is paper thin at the start of the game but does develop itself towards to end. I would've liked to see what Uriel did after the Lust fight and seeing Ulthane again was nice.

It's Usiel (Uriel is another character from the first two games), you can go back to the Angel's base and talk to him. He gives you an enhancement as a reward.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
I platinum'd the game and i think the metacritic score is very understandable. I'm playing on a PS4 pro and the game probably has the most tech problems i've played of any ps4 game, i'd hate to see how badly it runs on the base consoles.

If polished it would probably be 15 points higher on metacritic.

Seems like you haven't played The Last Guardian

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
So I caved in and bought this one. Was not a fan of the previous games but I am kind of liking it so far? I just wish the dodge button could be mapped to B button instead of LB.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
PC. I can remap Xbox One controller buttons via Steam, what?!
Just go to control configuration settings
Ill tell you how to do it using big picture mode so that steam saves it for future use
Switch to big picture mode, then go to library>darksiders 3
You will see an option for controller configuration, and one option will let you remap what each button does. So switch those 2 buttons around and steam would aave it.

Now wither ur playing in bpm or without, steam will let u use ur config until u reset or change it.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
Just go to control configuration settings
Ill tell you how to do it using big picture mode so that steam saves it for future use
Switch to big picture mode, then go to library>darksiders 3
You will see an option for controller configuration, and one option will let you remap what each button does. So switch those 2 buttons around and steam would aave it.

Now wither ur playing in bpm or without, steam will let u use ur config until u reset or change it.

Oh wow, I didn't know this. I'll try it after work, thanks!

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I am on mobile atm so sorry for the odd wording.
Ill test it for you myself to give an easier explanation but u can assign the LB button to B and B to LB. It may take a while to ger it right the first time but eventually u can do it properly dor any later game u wish to customize.

Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
It's Usiel (Uriel is another character from the first two games), you can go back to the Angel's base and talk to him. He gives you an enhancement as a reward.

Ah thanks, was he in DS1 or 2? I can't remember!

If the new combat system drops I might replay this in the new year, I really got into the game towards the end.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
OK sorry for the late reply, but here's how to do it if you only have the client running.
Right click darksiders 3, then choose 'edit steam controller settings'
At the top you should see 'edit in-game settings'
Now here is where it gets interesting, as Steam will know what each button does, so just choose the B button and assign your preferred command, then assign the LB button.
Here's what it would look like in Darksiders 1
6TIIYjF.png

If you look into the other options provided below they'll let you simply re-assign it as if pressing B will have you press LB and vice versa.

It'll be confusing at first, so try to at leat memorize how it is saved initially before changing anything and you should be good to go.

If I am understanding what JaseC means, whenever the game mentions pressing the B button YOU must press LB if you changed them around.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
What's this new combat system folks are talking about?
Also, Ulthane got a single mention in the second game but didn't show up at all. Uriel showed up twice. Base campaign and the final DLC.

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished my 4th boss. This game is a lot better than Darksiders II, but woo. The camera really is not great for combat. It needs to look down just a tad more. It's so damn level with you that it's hard to see bad guys behind other bad guys, and unfortunately, they just attack right through them and you can't see them coming. Very frustrating.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Ah right, my memory of Darksiders 2 clearly isn't as good as I thought it was.

Neither was mine. But getting 3's plat inspired me to revisit both 1 and 2 via the PS4 remasters. Platted them back-to-back. Ulthane was mentioned by one of the Makers in the Forge Lands. Probably Karn (the pup). He was said to have been the last Maker to exit the Forge Lands before the Tree of Life got sealed up by the Corruption. 3 is Ulthane's most prominent role by far. He has two or three appearances of note in the first game, gets a mere mention in the second, but is a vendor in the third.

Cotrip

Oct 27, 2017
The new patch is taking ages to arrive on consoles. Gunfire said on Twitter that it would be available last week. :/

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
Just finished my 4th boss. This game is a lot better than Darksiders II, but woo. The camera really is not great for combat. It needs to look down just a tad more. It's so damn level with you that it's hard to see bad guys behind other bad guys, and unfortunately, they just attack right through them and you can't see them coming. Very frustrating.

I'm not sure why people feel the need to use camera lock in this or any game. I played through all three Darksiders games without using camera lock at all.

deejay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished it. Took me about 13 hours, which is more than enough before it all grows too stale. I enjoyed it very much and I must admit here that A LOT of the reviews were completely wrong/off. Combat grew on me eventually. The level up system (for weapons and enhancements) could use a little work, and the controls weren't always very responsive, but the boss fights were great as well as the exploring. It also could've benefited from some optional dungeons and more puzzles but I think I got my money's worth. Graphics were nice (true DS vibe/style) and it ran pretty well despite some performance issues.
Anyone on the fence should buy it and give it a try, given that they've played DS1 and/or DS2 and don't quit when things sometimes become to hard in the beginning.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure why people feel the need to use camera lock in this or any game. I played through all three Darksiders games without using camera lock at all.
One of the problems iis that some of the bosses are too large for the screen, and camera lock is the only way to get the camera to zoom out. What is really frustrating is that even with camera lock set to toggle, the game constantly turns my camera lock off, and I have to re-toggle it.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Lock on is handy for one on ones, and yeah, the camera angle while locked on to regular mobs is not good.

What can we expect with the new patch?

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Game beaten on Apocalyptic.

Overall I really enjoyed it. Just have to get 1 million souls and the kills in havoc form to finish the platinum.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
If you still have a bunch of lurcher consumables. Pop them all until you have, say, 100K. Die near a serpent hole. Go back to your soul cluster. Kill something nearby so that some more souls get absorbed by the cluster. Pop the cluster. Die. Rinse and repeat.

Haven - West End is the best for Havoc kills. Aggro all the mobs from the serpent hole to the parking garage. Pop Havoc. Get 20 or so kills using the down slope of the parking lot as a kill box. Cancel Havoc early to retain some of your meter. Return when the Havoc bar refills.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
If you still have a bunch of lurcher consumables. Pop them all until you have, say, 100K. Die near a serpent hole. Go back to your soul cluster. Kill something nearby so that some more souls get absorbed by the cluster. Pop the cluster. Die. Rinse and repeat.

Haven - West End is the best for Havoc kills. Aggro all the mobs from the serpent hole to the parking garage. Pop Havoc. Get 20 or so kills using the down slope of the parking lot as a kill box. Cancel Havoc early to retain some of your meter. Return when the Havoc bar refills.

Sound advice, thanks!