• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deathglobe

Oct 25, 2017
Whats the best way to play the first two games? I know ive read they have pc issues. Is it best to play the older versions on steam or try for the xbox bc?

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Warmastered Edition on PC is solid and probably the best way to play it. Dunno about 2/Deathinitive, pcgamingwiki mentions a few bugs. It's probably fine though.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
I recently played through the Warmastered PS4 version of 1 and the Deathintive PS4 version of 2. (Both to completion).

The first is fine. It certainly looks prettier than the PS3 version and runs at least as well as my recollection of the PS3 original. Probably better.

2 on PS4, on the other hand, is mired by crash bugs. They're absolutely unavoidable, but their frequency will drop significantly if you turn off damage numbers in the options. Leave them on, and you're playing with fire. Crashes every hour, at least. Turn them off, and you can easily go 5-10 hours without crashes. I'm no expert on framerates, but I feel it performed poorer than the first did on the same platform.

I was able to double-platinum both, so clearly there are no game-breaking issues. Up to you and your personal tolerances. I mean, with damage numbers off, I was able to clear all 101 waves in a single go of the Crucible DLC for the relevant trophies needed for the platinum. I read plenty of horror stories of crashes happening anywhere from wave 25 through 70 with damage numbers on. So there's an anecdote for ya.

FWIW, I believe I read that Darksiders 2 Deathinitive Edition got an Xbox One X enhanced patch that broke some things. I do not know the details, but I know there was at least one semi-desperate thread here calling for an ETA on another patch to fix the issues. I don't know if it ever landed.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
For Darksiders 2 DE, you can download a Beta ver., being an update to the base game. For one thing it uses X1 inputs instead of 360 buttons and it has less stuttering.

Darksiders 2 DE didn't crash on me at all and generally would run fine. Worse case scenario is if you are using certain software like say Borderless gaming or using an FOV fix that may cause the game to crash.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I beat this game the other day and I absolutely loved it. Yes, there were a few technical issues, but it's still fantastic. The environments were beautiful, with several different areas all having their own look.

Fury is an absolute badass and this game easily had the best dialogue and cutscenes of any Darksiders. The callbacks to Darksiders 1 were just so well done. I fired up the original today and I'm noticing all the great nods 3 had to it.

The combat was hard at first but after a while it just clicked. After beating the game I immediately started again and was wrecking everything in my path.

Pre-release footage killed my hype, as did the reviews, but holy hell am I happy I still bought it. It's my favorite of all 3, with 2 being the worst.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
I beat this game the other day and I absolutely loved it. Yes, there were a few technical issues, but it's still fantastic. The environments were beautiful, with several different areas all having their own look.

Fury is an absolute badass and this game easily had the best dialogue and cutscenes of any Darksiders. The callbacks to Darksiders 1 were just so well done. I fired up the original today and I'm noticing all the great nods 3 had to it.

The combat was hard at first but after a while it just clicked. After beating the game I immediately started again and was wrecking everything in my path.

Pre-release footage killed my hype, as did the reviews, but holy hell am I happy I still bought it. It's my favorite of all 3, with 2 being the worst.

Yup, they started showing off the game way too soon. Clearly before certain key gameplay components were properly implemented. It looked soooooo bad at first. And while it'll never be a looker, the final product wound up much tighter than that original gameplay reveal looked. Story-wise, it did have some of my favorite moments in the franchise, though the original's ending is still probably the single best cinematic moment in the series; and partly why I want a sequel to IT so badly.

I immediately played through and platinumed the PS4 versions of 1 and 2 just after finishing this one's plat (since I had originally played them on PS3 ages ago), and the nods and call-backs are many. Hell, a lot of the enemy design is informed by the Earth portions of Darksiders 2. This surprised me, because at first blush, 3 felt like a cross between the original game and Dark Souls. But there's a fair smattering of Darksiders 2 there. Though sadly, not Death's voice actor. I was happy to see that War's voice actor returned, though!

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
LmBfJMZ.gif

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
It never got any real coverage from mainstream media at launch or beyond,the critics panned it because you are either a AAA or an indie these days and only the fans of the previous ones cared for it.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
By all reports, the game launched in a pretty poor state, and you have to imagine that's the version reviewers had access to. It's gotten a number of rounds of critical patches that have done a lot to fix the game up to its current state. It's always been too much to expect an outlet to re-review a game that's seen extensive post-launch support. But then, that's the risk as a dev and as a pub of releasing a game a month or three shy of necessary balancing and polishing.

Edit - Also, I imagine that most here that were interesting in playing it at current prices have already finished it.

Last edited:

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
What is this game like now on ps4 pro? I heard it got a 60fps patch too? Is it still virtually impossible to beat on apocalyptic?

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
What is this game like now on ps4 pro? I heard it got a 60fps patch too? Is it still virtually impossible to beat on apocalyptic?

They made the dodge iframes consistent throughout all the difficulties and they have a classic mode now that tou can insta use potions and cancel attack animations,so apocalyptic is certainly more doable now

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
I beat it on Apocalyptic on patch 1.03 (included lots of the bug/crash/performance fixes, but predated the Classic combat mode) and it was hardly impossible. I've got quite a few Soulsbornes-a-likes under my belt, it's true, but this wasn't one of the tougher ones, IMO.

Pluna

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 27, 2019
So I took a break and now I can not remember how to do that upwards dash to reach higher ground. Can anyone please remind me?

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Thread resurrection!

Got the game with Origin Access Premier and I must say that I am really enjoying it! Maybe all the patches since release helped improve it? Either way, I am finding the story and characters enjoyable, the combat is pretty fun, and the graphics albeit not the best still offering a nice atmosphere.

The combat is difficult but not Dark Souls difficult so I can manage :p

Enjoying my time with the game thus far.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Just picked up the game yesterday and so far I like it. I knew that the game needed updates, but mostly I was waiting on gameplay changes. I heard that they added a "classic" combat system and that's what I'm using.

It's really good looking and runs well on my PC (7700k, 980ti). There's some strange pop in when turning the camera around fast. I'm guessing that's just how the game renders.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
Thread resurrection!

Got the game with Origin Access Premier and I must say that I am really enjoying it! Maybe all the patches since release helped improve it? Either way, I am finding the story and characters enjoyable, the combat is pretty fun, and the graphics albeit not the best still offering a nice atmosphere.

The combat is difficult but not Dark Souls difficult so I can manage :p

Enjoying my time with the game thus far.

it's not the technical aspect of the graphics,but the art direction that is awesome in this franchise

Screenshot04_after.jpg

1471548215-711420942.jpg

darksiders-3-screen-2.jpg

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
Finally got a chance to start playing this with Origin Premier, and today I got a 20 GB update.

I guess it's the update for the DLC, but it seems kinda odd considering Premier doesn't say it's the deluxe version of the game and I still have the option to buy the DLC separately showing.

Deleted member 12447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The crucible DLC is up if anyone hasn't seen it yet. it went up yesterday but it probably got married pretty quickly under a certain AMA

Reektan

Oct 30, 2017
Finally started this on Friday last week and just finished it now. Superb stuff. Massively overlooked really.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great game. Played and completed it back in January after they patched out the Souls aspect. Excellent story, characters and gameplay with a beautiful art style and visuals. Overall, an 8.5/10 for me and my favorite in the franchise with the original Darksiders being second and Darksiders 2 being last.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Liking the game so far as well, the only thing I have trouble with is where to go sometimes.

I find the compass on the top of the screen a bit of a hassle, and not always accurate. Easy to get lost.

Oct 25, 2017
LTTP: Just finished the game, I overall enjoyed it, the story doesn't contribute at all with the first 2, or maybe i miss something.
Who's the one talking at the end? the camera doesn't show it.

I enjoyed the "new" battle system, didn't try the other mode, but i do have to admit that after defeating Gluttony I turned down the difficult (to story) because i got bored of dying easily and have to reply some long parts again, which made the game too easy :p.
I hope they announce a new one in this E3 as rumours says, i wonder if it will be gunslinger style.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
I started playing this yesterday and I really don't understand why this only has a 64 metacritic on ps4?

I've enjoyed the first couple hours I've played. Mechanics seem good, combat is fine, and the art style is lovely. Even the story seems ok so far even though I zoned out of the story in the other two games as it was so hard to follow.

Like why so low scores? Do people like it here?

It seems just as good as the other two. Does it turn shit later on?

Should I play in classic mode or modern controls?

Also is the story good? I don't really know what's happened as humans still exist but there's some kinda cataclysm?

Someone briefly explain the story?

I played the other two games when they came out and loved them but the story was nonsensical and hard to follow. Anyone wanna do a recap for me?

Oct 25, 2017
I started playing this yesterday and I really don't understand why this only has a 64 metacritic on ps4?

I've enjoyed the first couple hours I've played. Mechanics seem good, combat is fine, and the art style is lovely. Even the story seems ok so far even though I zoned out of the story in the other two games as it was so hard to follow.

Also is the story good? I don't really know what's happened as humans still exist but there's some kinda cataclysm?

I played the other two games when they came out and loved them but the story was nonsensical and hard to follow. Anyone wanna do a recap for me?

IDK why the scores are low, probably people hating in THQ now, but it's overall a good game, and no, it keeps a good phasing all along, it's hard to navigate sometimes only.

Play in the original mode (the new mode makes it more similar to the old games, so less need of parry).

The story in this one doesn't matter too much, or at all, lol, just someone broke the seals, throwing the apocalypse on earth, and are blaming it on War (main character of the 1st one), probably watching a recap in youtube would be better.

JediEagle

Oct 17, 2018
Slovenia

The game was buggy and glitchy on release, which lowered the scores significantly. It's a cool 7/10 game

LazerRanger

Oct 28, 2017
Just finished the game and really really enjoyed it.
It probably equals how much fun I had with the original when I first played it.
Fury's arc was pretty well done and I'm excited for Darksiders 4.
Very well done to Gunfire Games as I imagine the budget was limited but they hit it out of the park (even though I did hit glitches from time to time).
I did play with the old style combat so I'm not sure how I would have liked the default launch combat.

Oct 25, 2017

Does this one has more story? or is similar to the crucible, the description does't help much..

ABOUT THIS CONTENT
On a quest from Vulgrim, Fury must travel into the Serpent Holes to remove an ancient threat that resides there. All new locations, puzzles, and enemies await the chance to test Fury's abilities. As a reward, she can unlock all new weapon forms for the Hollows as well as the biggest prize of them all: The Abyssal Armor.

Oct 27, 2017
I was just thinking I should have jumped on this during the Steam Summer Sale considering how much I love #2 (especially the art direction) only to then open Steam just now and see that it's the Midweek Special at $20.39...bought.

Edit: I ended up buying the Darksiders Blades & Whip Franchise Pack and since I owned part 1 and 2 already I somehow got a discount on Darksiders III Deluxe Edition making the total cost $20.89, not a bad deal I'd say.

Last edited:

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Picked it up, has me hooked on art direction, downloaded the first two remasters to play at the same time. What are people's thoughts on the three games compared

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Sooo...how hard is it going to be to remember any of the controls if I go and play the DLC now?