• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
How is the replay value, heard its better to start on normal then after beating it go again on the permadeath difficulty for a more tense experience. But is it worth the replay?

there are two major quest givers and you have to decide who to follow at some point. also, there are things that you might do otherwise after you know it if that makes sense. some things you might completely miss in the first playthrough. the areas are randomly generated so it has a different layout when you replay it. (landmarks and points of interest have different locations)

i would say it lasts for 2 playthroughs. first one is obviously tenser because you don´t know what to expect but permadeath mode will help with that and provides a tough challenge. definitely start on normal to learn the game. i restarted even normal after 2-3hours because i wanted a clean start after i knew how the game is meant to be played.

this is a 80s/90s throwback game, it will tell you not much at all, you have to figure out things on your own.(which is part of the ride for sure)

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
there are two major quest givers and you have to decide who to follow at some point. also, there are things that you might do otherwise after you know it if that makes sense. some things you might completely miss in the first playthrough. the areas are randomly generated so it has a different layout when you replay it. (landmarks and points of interest have different locations)

i would say it lasts for 2 playthroughs. first one is obviously tenser because you don´t know what to expect but permadeath mode will help with that and provides a tough challenge. definitely start on normal to learn the game. i restarted even normal after 2-3hours because i wanted a clean start after i knew how the game is meant to be played.

this is a 80s/90s throwback game, it will tell you not much at all, you have to figure out things on your own.(which is part of the ride for sure)
Thanks, already bought it and will start today to see if I like it (hope I do).

00lsen

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Super excited for this.

The music in the trailer is dope. Seems to be a cover of ucieczka by halina frackowiak though I can't find the version from this trailer

It sounds like the original to me. Mad props for showing this classic tune to a bigger audience. Same like This War of Mine made people discover Zegarmistrz światła purpurowy.

As for the weird premiere dates, last time the devs were just 3 guys so a simultaneous launch might have been too much for them.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
It sounds like the original to me. Mad props for showing this classic tune to a bigger audience. Same like This War of Mine made people discover Zegarmistrz światła purpurowy.

As for the weird premiere dates, last time the devs were just 3 guys so a simultaneous launch might have been too much for them.

I dunno, I listened to the original on YouTube and it sounded way flat compared to the version in the trailer

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany

as far as i know they changed the game over the years, when did you play this the last time?

but in its core this is pretty much a survival horror game where you will have to collect resources, craft stuff that helps you and try to survive the nights. i think it all comes together in great way, one of the games where crafting has a purpose.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I grabbed this on Xbox and I love the vibe of it but it seems super screen teary? Like, the performance seems horrible. I'm on an Xbox One X so it seems super strange. Whenever I sprint the screen just wobbles and it seems to be tearing bad.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I grabbed this on Xbox and I love the vibe of it but it seems super screen teary? Like, the performance seems horrible. I'm on an Xbox One X so it seems super strange. Whenever I sprint the screen just wobbles and it seems to be tearing bad.

the Pro version also has screen tearing sometimes but there was a patch yesterday and now it is a bit better. still not perfect though. the game is made by 3 people, might be that they are not too experienced with console versions.

aember

Oct 26, 2017
Weird, I'm on the X and it's running beautifully, no issues whatsoever.

That being said, I wish it ran bad, because I'd have an excuse not to play this scary creepy-ass game. :(

akasha

Jan 14, 2019
Germany
i am around 15 hours in this game, i will say it now: this is easily one the best horror games this console generation.

this is exactly how you do "horror" without bullshit attached. what a gem this game is, superb! atmosphere and especially the psychedelic infused sound effects are off the charts

So did they keep their promise that there are no lazy horror elements like cheap jump scares (or zombies)?

Got lured into buying Layers of Fear by online reviews and really got tired of them, although its story / setting was interesting enough to keep me going.

Searching for some true well-written horror with story depth now though.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Weird, I'm on the X and it's running beautifully, no issues whatsoever.

That being said, I wish it ran bad, because I'd have an excuse not to play this scary creepy-ass game. :(

Weird. I'll do a console reset and try it again tonight. I might refund it and buy it elsewhere if it's no better. I'd like it on Switch if it performs well there. :(

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
So did they keep their promise that there are no lazy horror elements like cheap jump scares (or zombies)?

Got lured into buying Layers of Fear by online reviews and really got tired of them, although its story / setting was interesting enough to keep me going.

Searching for some true well-written horror with story depth now though.

yeah, there are no jumpscares or zombies and the game is scarier than other horror games as a result, it definitely has a psychological angle and plays with the fear of the unknown. It is a slow burner that starts off tame and lures the player into a false security;-)

The game is bloody fantastic, it is a real dark trip into the woods. A really unique experience!

akasha

Jan 14, 2019
Germany
yeah, there are no jumpscares or zombies and the game is scarier than other horror games as a result, it definitely has a psychological angle and plays with the fear of the unknown. It is a slow burner that starts off tame and lures the player into a false security;-)

The game is bloody fantastic, it is a real dark trip into the woods. A really unique experience!

Alright, thanks! I'll keep it on my watch list then :) The HLTB times are also quite promising given the friendly price.

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
I picked up the PS4 Pro version - this game is amazing! However I am also having some serious and unexpected screen tearing issues. I can deal with it, but its really odd as it doesn't seem like it would be that demanding. Has anyone with the Switch version noticed any tearing or other issues? I was really tempted to get it on Switch but opted for PS4 due to the minor PS+ discount and no tax where I am.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I picked up the PS4 Pro version - this game is amazing! However I am also having some serious and unexpected screen tearing issues. I can deal with it, but its really odd as it doesn't seem like it would be that demanding. Has anyone with the Switch version noticed any tearing or other issues? I was really tempted to get it on Switch but opted for PS4 due to the minor PS+ discount and no tax where I am.

This is me too but with the Xbox version. The screen tearing is crazy whenever you sprint. Thinking of doing a refund while it's still applicable and buying on Switch (if performance is ok) or PC. Game seems super great.

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
This game just keeps popping up for me and has been for months. Looks like I'll have to take the plunge now.
No jumpscares, right?

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
This game just keeps popping up for me and has been for months. Looks like I'll have to take the plunge now.
No jumpscares, right?

No jumpscares but scary stuff happening ;-)

edit:
new PS4 patch, 1,5GB big, will report if it fixes the screen tearing. at least they are patching the game like crazy so they seem to try.

edit 2:
performance is MUCH better on PS4Pro now, screen tearing rarely occurs anymore and the performance overall is smoother

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
No jumpscares but scary stuff happening ;-)

edit:
new PS4 patch, 1,5GB big, will report if it fixes the screen tearing. at least they are patching the game like crazy so they seem to try.

edit 2:
performance is MUCH better on PS4Pro now, screen tearing rarely occurs anymore and the performance overall is smoother

Good to know! I'll check tonight to see if Xbox has had an update and seen any improvements.

GamingRobioto

May 18, 2018
Exeter, UK
I've bought it blind based of hugely positive user feedback and loving the sound of what it offers.

Only £11 on PSN, hopefully another indie bargain.

KLoWn

Oct 27, 2017
How are the controls? I heard someone say they were worse than on PC, but he didn't say in what way.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Good to know! I'll check tonight to see if Xbox has had an update and seen any improvements.

it is really so much better now, there is no screen tearing anymore on the Pro

How are the controls? I heard someone say they were worse than on PC, but he didn't say in what way.

they are good to me, you can press a button to transfer stuff into your inventory, another button to drop items on the ground.

fighting is left trigger to ready weapon, right trigger to use weapon, also good. when you explore you hold the right trigger and use the analog to look further in all directions. Inventory is also accessed on one button.

i have no problem with the controls at all, i think they are really fine

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
chapter 2 doesn´t fuck around, holy shit

also, thread is not very active, seems the game flew under the radar of many people. that is a shame because this game is definitely great.

there are easily 30+ hrs game for a little price and the game there is, well, it is just awesome. this will for sure end up on my GOTY list.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Bought this on pc during early access and it got lost in the fog over the years for me despite playing a bit at the official launch. Definitely my next game after Pathologic 2

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I've not spent a lot of time with this game, I'm on day 3 and it's really cool atmosphere and everything but im not sure it's for me, the inventory management drives me crazy lol, finding a bunch items when your backpack is already full is pretty annoying.

While I know a bunch of people will love the vagueness and ambiguity of the game I wish it was a little more direct, I feel I'm just wondering round aimlessly and now getting killed quite regularly.

I really wanted to like this game, just not sure it is for me.

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard that the Switch version is not optimized well yet, any comments? Better wait for a patch?
Can't speak to the other versions, but in the eight hours I've played, there was one area where the framerate dipped to about 8 fps. Thankfully nothing much goes on in that area.

Overall the game is great though. It's pure dread and terror for trying to survive, but life before and after moving onto a weapon beyond the board and nails is life-changing

akasha

Jan 14, 2019
Germany
Can't speak to the other versions, but in the eight hours I've played, there was one area where the framerate dipped to about 8 fps. Thankfully nothing much goes on in that area.

Overall the game is great though. It's pure dread and terror for trying to survive, but life before and after moving onto a weapon beyond the board and nails is life-changing

Thanks!

Mega1X

The Fallen
Jun 4, 2018

I am a chicken when playing horror games, but I think its dread from Jump Scares. I read there is no Jump Scares but the atmosphere is creepy and really intense. Can you confirm? Thinking about getting it.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I've not spent a lot of time with this game, I'm on day 3 and it's really cool atmosphere and everything but im not sure it's for me, the inventory management drives me crazy lol, finding a bunch items when your backpack is already full is pretty annoying.

While I know a bunch of people will love the vagueness and ambiguity of the game I wish it was a little more direct, I feel I'm just wondering round aimlessly and now getting killed quite regularly.

I really wanted to like this game, just not sure it is for me.

it is oldschool, just explore, find the Wolfman, he will tell you what to do. figuring out what to do is part of the game.

the game is about deciding what to pick up but you can craft upgrades for both inventory and hotbar so you have more space later on.

day 3 is literally nothing.

hint:
buy or find a watch and carry it with you so you see the time, makes exploring better.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I really want to dive in and love this game but the performance on Xbox One is still utterly terrible. It hasn't received any updates (apparently PS4 has). As soon as you sprint it feels wrong. I don't know it's frame pacing or what but it makes me feel ill. Very disappointed. I'm gonna put in a refund request and just grab it on PC I think.

Don't buy this on Xbox.

Mega1X

The Fallen
Jun 4, 2018
I really want to dive in and love this game but the performance on Xbox One is still utterly terrible. It hasn't received any updates (apparently PS4 has). As soon as you sprint it feels wrong. I don't know it's frame pacing or what but it makes me feel ill. Very disappointed. I'm gonna put in a refund request and just grab it on PC I think.

Don't buy this on Xbox.

Stock Xbox One or even Xbox One X has issues?

akasha

Jan 14, 2019
Germany

Don't buy this on Xbox.

Thanks! Alright, I assume there are some issues across versions. Is there any patch in sight yet, given that this released on PC years ago?

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
I am a chicken when playing horror games, but I think its dread from Jump Scares. I read there is no Jump Scares but the atmosphere is creepy and really intense. Can you confirm? Thinking about getting it.
I wouldn't consider the game has jump scares because you can see every horrible thing coming, and when the shoe finally drops it's just a confirmation of your worst fears, instead of something unexpected. The game is definitely more TENSE than filled with shallow jump scares, but there are definitely moments where something horrible happens that will catch you off guard.

An example of a typical scare, is that you have to barricade yourself into a hideout at night and wait for morning. During the night, you are extremely vulnerable, and the first time someone breaks through your window is a legitimately terrifying experience that will make you tense up.

Mega1X

The Fallen
Jun 4, 2018
I wouldn't consider the game has jump scares because you can see every horrible thing coming, and when the shoe finally drops it's just a confirmation of your worst fears, instead of something unexpected. The game is definitely more TENSE than filled with shallow jump scares, but there are definitely moments where something horrible happens that will catch you off guard.

An example of a typical scare, is that you have to barricade yourself into a hideout at night and wait for morning. During the night, you are extremely vulnerable, and the first time someone breaks through your window is a legitimately terrifying experience that will make you tense up.

That honestly sounds a lot more fun that cheap jump scares