• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
A very honest post from a side we don't often hear. More at the link than what I've quoted. [Not sure of the rules regarding Medium posts]

I'm an indie developer, just launched my first title "DARQ." I worked on it for over 3.5 years, mostly solo, with occasional help of a few talented contractors. It was in top 50 most wishlisted games on Steam before it launched.

What happened
On July 27th (Saturday) I uploaded a new trailer anouncing Steam launch date. On July 30th (Tuesday) I was contacted by the Epic Store, proposing that I enter into an exclusivity agreement with them instead of releasing DARQ on Steam. They made it clear that releasing DARQ non-exclusively is not an option. I rejected their offer before we had a chance to talk about money.

Why I rejected their offer
Before I get into this, I would like to emphasize that I'm not speaking on behalf of other developers. Every indie studio has a unique story and has to deal with unique set of obstacles. The following reasons are mine and mine only. Rejecting such offer happened to be right for my game, but might not be right for other games / studios, as their goals and long-term plans might differ from mine.
  • I like money, and getting some upfront payment on top of guaranteed revenue sounds great. But although I'm a first time developer, I'm very serious about working in this industry for a very long time. I had just announced DARQ release date on Steam - pulling the game off Steam a few days after Steam release date announcement would forever ruin the credibility of my studio. I woud like for my customers to have confidence that my word means something, especially when making announcement as crucial as release date / platform. Turning down the Epic exclusivity offer might have been a foolish decision in the short term, considering the amount of money that might have been involved. When thinking long term, however, this was an easy & obvious decision to make (in my case).

• DARQ was listed on Steam since late 2018. A lot of Steam users added DARQ to their wishlist and patiently waited for its release date for almost a year. Pulling the game off Steam, especially so close to the release date, would surely make a lot of DARQ fans unhappy. Apart from the moral issues involved, would it be worth it if given a large sum of money? Consider Amazon's history — the company remained unproffitable for many years by ALWAYS putting their customers first. They had made many decisions in the past that were extremely pro-customer, even if it meant leaving money on the table (for which they got a lot of criticism from Wall Street). Now, Amazon is one of the biggest companies in the world, and it's because customers know Amazon will always be on their side. Their refund policy has always been the industry standard, and their delivery promise was always fulfilled to the best of their ability. Will I make less money on Steam than I would have by accepting the financial guarantee from the Epic Store? Probably. But it's a fair price to pay for establishing an ongoing trust between my studio and its customers. Unfold Games (my studio) is here to stay, and DARQ is just the beginning.

• It was important to me to give players what they wanted: options. A lot of people requested that DARQ is made available on GOG. I was happy to work with GOG to bring the game to their platform. I wish the Epic Store would allow indie games to be sold there non-exclusively, as they do with larger, still unreleased games (Cyberpunk 2077), so players can enjoy what they want: a choice.

1*YW8HKZCAxiFigsVHsVTu3A.jpeg

I wish there wasn't a double standard and indie developers were given an equal oportunity to sell their games across multiple store fronts, so the players can enjoy what they seem to want the most: a choice.

They've earned a sale from me.

Last edited:

somato

Oct 25, 2017
I've never heard of this game, but I think I am going to buy it now. I really like this and want to support it.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
I was contacted by the Epic Store, proposing that I enter into an exclusivity agreement with them instead of releasing DARQ on Steam. They made it clear that releasing DARQ non-exclusively is not an option.
Good lord Epic strategy is scummy as fuck.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
It's ridiculous that the Epic Store doesn't let developers release games non-exclusively. More pathetic than ridiculous now that I think about it.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
I was just watching Gab Smolders play this earlier, looked really good. Even more inclined to check it out now, although tbfh my cheap ass will still probably be waiting for a sale.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
This darq dev gets it. Excellent writeup. If you want credibility in the long run then you dont sell yourself to money. You need to buildup a lot more than that in the long run to have a name.

I feel like those who take the exclusivity deal have a very shortsighted view and lose the big picture when they get offered the money

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm an indie developer, just launched my first title "DARQ." I worked on it for over 3.5 years, mostly solo, with occasional help of a few talented contractors. It was in top 50 most wishlisted games on Steam before it launched.

What happened
On July 27th (Saturday) I uploaded a new trailer anouncing Steam launch date. On July 30th (Tuesday) I was contacted by the Epic Store, proposing that I enter into an exclusivity agreement with them instead of releasing DARQ on Steam. They made it clear that releasing DARQ non-exclusively is not an option. I rejected their offer before we had a chance to talk about money.

Why I rejected their offer
Before I get into this, I would like to emphasize that I'm not speaking on behalf of other developers. Every indie studio has a unique story and has to deal with unique set of obstacles. The following reasons are mine and mine only. Rejecting such offer happened to be right for my game, but might not be right for other games / studios, as their goals and long-term plans might differ from mine.
  • I like money, and getting some upfront payment on top of guaranteed revenue sounds great. But although I'm a first time developer, I'm very serious about working in this industry for a very long time. I had just announced DARQ release date on Steam - pulling the game off Steam a few days after Steam release date announcement would forever ruin the credibility of my studio. I woud like for my customers to have confidence that my word means something, especially when making announcement as crucial as release date / platform. Turning down the Epic exclusivity offer might have been a foolish decision in the short term, considering the amount of money that might have been involved. When thinking long term, however, this was an easy & obvious decision to make (in my case).

• DARQ was listed on Steam since late 2018. A lot of Steam users added DARQ to their wishlist and patiently waited for its release date for almost a year. Pulling the game off Steam, especially so close to the release date, would surely make a lot of DARQ fans unhappy. Apart from the moral issues involved, would it be worth it if given a large sum of money? Consider Amazon's history — the company remained unproffitable for many years by ALWAYS putting their customers first. They had made many decisions in the past that were extremely pro-customer, even if it meant leaving money on the table (for which they got a lot of criticism from Wall Street). Now, Amazon is one of the biggest companies in the world, and it's because customers know Amazon will always be on their side. Their refund policy has always been the industry standard, and their delivery promise was always fulfilled to the best of their ability. Will I make less money on Steam than I would have by accepting the financial guarantee from the Epic Store? Probably. But it's a fair price to pay for establishing an ongoing trust between my studio and its customers. Unfold Games (my studio) is here to stay, and DARQ is just the beginning.

• It was important to me to give players what they wanted: options. A lot of people requested that DARQ is made available on GOG. I was happy to work with GOG to bring the game to their platform. I wish the Epic Store would allow indie games to be sold there non-exclusively, as they do with larger, still unreleased games (Cyberpunk 2077), so players can enjoy what they want: a choice.
Extremely pro-consumer of the dev. Based on their timing, it's like Epic is trying to deliberately stoke the controversy. He made the right choice.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017

And he confirmed again that Epic don't sell any indie that's not exclusive, so much support to small devs...

I mean, it happened before with other devs who wanted their game on the Epic Games Store. It's following the similar trend of when the Nintendo Switch debuted and certain indie devs found it how to get on the Eshop unless it's an exclusive or a game enhanced with exclusive Switch-only content. However Epic's approach is way more aggressive and kind of goes against their message on wanting to help struggling devs who find Valve's sales split to be disingenuous.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
It's ridiculous that the Epic Store doesn't let developers release games non-exclusively. More pathetic than ridiculous now that I think about it.

Yeah, strikes me as a weird strategy. More games on your platform makes it a better option for consumers, and if you don't have to shell out millions or however much they moneyhat indies for, the better. Maybe they don't want to set the precedence where indies can turn down the exclusivity deal and still get on EGS, for whatever reason.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They made it clear that releasing DARQ non-exclusively is not an option

Why is this part of Epics MO? Isn't expanding their library with a game that people want worthwhile even if that game isn't exclusive to their store? This doesn't seem like a way to become an alternative to steam when they lock themselves out of games.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Going to look up DARQ right now. Nothing but respect to this developer, and Epic's predatory practices are a complete turn off. They're not interested in competing, and are hurting PC customers by limiting purchase options. By the same token they're hurting developers with their game having less visibility by not being on multiple storefronts.
Sure the money might be tempting now, but what about next time? You may be burning a bridge with fans who've been patiently waiting, and it can come back to haunt you if Epic's not giving you another fat check for your next game.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I commend him for thinking about his long-term plans in the industry and how a sudden exclusivity agreement in these circumstances might affect them. At the same time, he's right in saying not every developer might view his particular choice as best for their own situation. If some poor guy has been slaving away on a passion project for years, hoping it will somehow pay off at the end but not even sure if he'll go on to make another game because the toil and strain has been too great, who can honestly fault him for accepting a guaranteed check from Epic?

Of course, Epic's all-or-nothing offer merits some criticism.

Ailanthium

Oct 27, 2017
I've never heard of it which makes me think he should've just taken the money.

Well, taking a more cynical approach, talking about this decision has brought the game some level of attention it wouldn't have gotten before (and likely far more positive), and the developer is correct in suggesting that building a rapport is critical in these early stages.

The fact that Epic is refusing to sell games that don't take them up on their exclusivity offer is pretty unsavory, though. It's their choice on what to put onto their storefront, but the game is clearly 'up to their standards' if they were willing to pay for exclusivity up-front. Epic isn't going to convince people to use their storefront if they continue to have a relatively meager selection of upcoming releases (that are basically only exclusives).

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
" I wish the Epic Store would allow indie games to be sold there non-exclusively, as they do with larger, still unreleased games (Cyberpunk 2077), so players can enjoy what they want: a choice."

Utter insanity from Epic. Absolutely insane.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
Does it? He did it for customer trust over actually making money. Sure you can be credible but that means nothing if you are broke and can't put anything out.

It's a possible risk for the dev. However, the dev put up the Steam page for his game and announced a release date for when his game would appear on Steam. According to his post, he takes the Epic deal therefore he can't release his game on Steam as well, regardless of any of the advertising the dev did that it was coming to Steam.

Just like those who say we shouldn't raise any negative objections on why an independent developer accepts a deal for their game to appear on EGS, we also should respect on a dev's decision on why they don't want to accept it either.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Does it? He did it for customer trust over actually making money. Sure you can be credible but that means nothing if you are broke and can't put anything out.

So suddenly developers can't make it any longer unless they get a fat check from Epic?? Must be a miracle that developers survived making games when they weren't in the picture a year ago.

Edit: On a side note, this isn't the first time we've heard of Epic turning down a small indie, because they didn't want to give Epic full exclusivity. It's 100% proof that Epic doesn't care about what's best for small indies. They only care about themselves.

TioChuck

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
So suddenly developers can't make it any longer unless they get a fat check from Epic?? Must be a miracle that developers survived making games when they weren't in the picture a year ago.

And the problem with that argument is that if the game you are making are somewhat niche and are at risk of not making money, Epic probably doesn't want it on their store anyway.

Wumbo64

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am just glad they are also releasing on GoG. I can't be unhappy about it coming to the most consumer-facing platform.

As for their immediate decline of Epic's offer, I can respect that they feel it is in their customers best interest to release broadly. However, I wouldn't have begrudged them taking the money.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Epic's methods are really scummy. It's almost like bribing

Edit: actually it is bribing

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this the 12th thread where we pretend to be shocked that the store that's entire gimmick is exclusive games doesn't want a game that's not exclusive to them?

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Why is this part of Epics MO? Isn't expanding their library with a game that people want worthwhile even if that game isn't exclusive to their store? This doesn't seem like a way to become an alternative to steam when they lock themselves out of games.
Because Epic is secretly the good guy and trying to force people to use multiple launchers instead of just monopolizing the market
/s
Game isn't for me but this definitely got my attention for a game I otherwise may never have checked out. Good on them for sticking with their fans instead of grabbing at $$$. Although, like they said, not all studios would be fortunate enough to feel semi-secure pre-release

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, strikes me as a weird strategy. More games on your platform makes it a better option for consumers, and if you don't have to shell out millions or however much they moneyhat indies for, the better. Maybe they don't want to set the precedence where indies can turn down the exclusivity deal and still get on EGS, for whatever reason.

1) Epic doesn't want you to choose the Epic store to play games, they want to force you to use the store. Epic is not buying exclusives, they are buying to keep games off of Steam. This was evident with Ubisoft and some Microsoft games. Epic's entire business strategy is to hurt Steam no matter what the cost.

2) If Epic allows games to be put on the store more freely, and sales numbers get out something tells me it would look really pathetic compared to Steam's and that is not the look Epic is going for.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, you dont hear something like this to often.

He has a very valid point.

Mostly because devs don't turn it into an advertising campaign.

I don't like this. While I do support his decision and the reason for his decision, him publicizing this is effectively -- and likely intentionally -- fanning the flames of controversy towards Epic and devs who've gone to the Epic store. And he's likely to profit off of it as a result. That's not cool. Genuinely curious whether he went into this conversation knowing this would be the result, whether he went into the conversation planning to release the emails.

Edit: To answer my own questions, Unfold Games was reached out to by Epic. He didn't pursue this. He did make it part of his AMA on Reddit, where he asked fans to ask about him rejecting Epic. He also explicitly mentions the Ooblets controversy at the same time. He's expecting it to be a draw for his AMA, but that's it.

"Before the launch I got an exclusivity offer from Epic. I turned it down (it was days before Ooblets anounced Epic exclusivity). You're welcome to ask about my reasons."

And then on Twitter they posted this message: "I hesitated a lot writing this blog post, but since my stance on Epic Store exlusivity is now a news story covered across the web, I thought I'd explain what actually happened." Which makes a lot of sense. It's a good point. It clearly grew to be a larger deal than he ever expected.

Last edited:

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Someone "very serious about working in this industry for a very long time" shouldn't be posting mails that were sent in confidence. It isn't necessary to make their point -- to the extent that they have any point at all. They're ostensibly defending the decision to not go to the EGS, but nobody is out there demanding an explanation. Nobody even knew this happened before the post. In reality, they're just publicly criticizing a company that offered them an opportunity because they know it will score some points in the gaming community.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
This is like giving charity and then going around bragging about it lol.

Seems like this dev had every intention of rejecting the Epic money then using that to market his game further to recoup that and then some.

Edit: Exactly the above 2 posts^
Seems like he's fine throwing other devs who took the money under the bus to fuel his little advertising campaign as well.

Nov 8, 2017

It does... If you're a big game. Like cp2077 and vampire the masquerade 2 are simultaneously shipping, but this is the 2nd indie to my knowledge who has made public statements about epic not being interested unless they're exclusive.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Someone "very serious about working in this industry for a very long time" shouldn't be posting mails that were sent in confidence. It isn't necessary to make their point -- to the extent that they have any point at all. They're ostensibly defending the decision to not go to the EGS, but nobody is out there demanding an explanation. Nobody even knew this happened before the post. In reality, they're just publicly criticizing a company that offered them an opportunity because they know it will score some points in the gaming community.
Pretty much how I see it. Not a good look imo.
I would just move on and get the game ready on steam.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017

Funny thing is that they do, but only for big games. Games like Cyberpunk and Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines 2 will launch on multiple PC storefronts on the same day. Ubisoft games of course come out on Uplay and Epic Game store on the same day. It's just the small developers that Tim is supposted to be helping that they wont do a simultaneous launch for.

EllipsisBreak

One Winged Slayer
Aug 6, 2019
Is this the 12th thread where we pretend to be shocked that the store that's entire gimmick is exclusive games doesn't want a game that's not exclusive to them?
Epic's policy of offering to pay for exclusivity, and then refusing to put the game on the store at all if they don't take that deal, is not quite common knowledge at this point.

I still occasionally see people find out there's no shopping cart, and that's been discussed to death. This is a bigger deal than that, and it's going to last a while.

Stallion Free

Oct 29, 2017

I don't like this. While I do support his decision and the reason for his decision, him publicizing this is effectively -- and likely intentionally -- fanning the flames of controversy towards Epic and devs who've gone to the Epic store. And he's likely to profit off of it as a result. That's not cool. Genuinely curious whether he went into this conversation knowing this would be the result, whether he went into the conversation planning to release the emails.
So you would prefer this conversation stay one-sided? Only devs taking the deal get to speak about it? And Epic isn't fanning the flames too?

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019

Shouldn't you be supporting this as a journalist? I mean the fact of the dev telling us how it all really goes behind the scenes. Seems like something a journalist would appreciate

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
Epic Games cares about about indie devs in so far if they can advance the self interest, a position they probably should have staked out in the beginning.

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017
I commend him for thinking about his long-term plans in the industry and how a sudden exclusivity agreement in these circumstances might affect them. At the same time, he's right in saying not every developer might view his particular choice as best for their own situation. If some poor guy has been slaving away on a passion project for years, hoping it will somehow pay off at the end but not even sure if he'll go on to make another game because the toil and strain has been too great, who can honestly fault him for accepting a guaranteed check from Epic?

Of course, Epic's all-or-nothing offer merits some criticism.

I wouldn't fault said person for taking the money, I probably would fault them for getting into that situation in the first place though, people shouldn't be out there quitting their stable jobs just to work on their "passion project" and then complain about being broke. The Epic cash injection is a short term fix and doesn't ensure the success of the next game because they won't be getting that money again from epic.

Status
Not open for further replies.