• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
1. The constant. I mean, constant references to The Office. Friends and Parks and Rec too, but it's apparent some people just marathon these shows over and over.
I don't want to be the Jim to your Pam (he sucks).
I don't want to be the Michael to your Holly.
No, I don't agree that The Office is the best show ever.

Seems harmless, but after the 200th profile, that shit gets to you.

2. People who describe themselves or the conversations they like to have as intellectual. Moreso weird than annoying. It's an app, you try to relate to people, meet up if you having things in common and theres an attraction.

But then on the other hand, it is a nice indicator that it wouldn't work so, maybe not a bad thing.

What's something that makes you roll your eyes each time you see a new profile?

Last edited:

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I only used Tinder for a few months, but the amount of people with dead animals in their pictures was a bit of a shock, to say the least. I live in the South, but c'mon.

The Office + Harry Potter in every other profile made for some pretty easy skips.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
I only used Tinder for a few months, but the amount of people with dead animals in their pictures was a bit of a shock, to say the least. I live in the South, but c'mon.

The Office + Harry Potter in every other profile made for some pretty easy skips.

Why would I want to date someone that hates The Office or Parks and Rec?
Harry Potter I'm just numb to honestly, but that's another one.

I mean, it's fine to like things, I liked the shows on nbc, but it feels like people mention these things in place of a personality. As in "join me for 20th viewing of the whole series". That's not an exaggeration.

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I swear like 90% of the profiles I've seen online have the words I'm listing below.

- The Office
- Game of Thrones
- Friends
- Wine
- Adventure
- Harry Potter
- Hiking
- Too shy to message, so message me!

It makes me feel like I'm viewing the same person's profile over and over with different pictures.

PMS341

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Harry Potter I'm just numb to honestly, but that's another one.

I mean, it's fine to like things, but it feels like people mention these things in place of a personality.

Sure, I mean The Office is a fine show, and Harry Potter was a fun children's book (one with terrible writing from a terrible author) but there are some people I just feel like I'd have to pay to get them to read or watch literally anything else. They live and breathe it.

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
I swear like 90% of the profiles I've seen online have the words I'm listing below.

- The Office
- Game of Thrones
- Friends
- Wine
- Adventure
- Harry Potter
- Hiking

It makes me feel like I'm viewing the same person's profile over and over with different pictures.
plus dogs

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love a headline I saw these days that was something like "The Office is leaving Netflix, and soon millions will have to develop a proper personality"

Plum

May 31, 2018
That practically all of them are based so heavily around sexual attraction and, in turn, sex...

...I guess that's more than just a "pet peeve" lol

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Back when I was on dating apps, every other girl on there had one of their pictures be themselves in front of angel wings that were painted on the wall (it's a piece of art in a highly trafficked part of LA). The same exact picture. My eyes just started glazing over eventually.

Not a big pet peeve, yeah. But it lacked originality very quickly.

Oct 28, 2017
aiGGuxQ_d.jpg

PMS341

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That practically all of them are based so heavily around sexual attraction and, in turn, sex...

...I guess that's more than just a "pet peeve" lol

There are some apps/sites that let you be pretty clear about expectations, what you're looking for, etc. I feel like OKCupid does this well, but I haven't used it in a long time. Tinder probably isn't the best avenue for anything too serious initially (although I met my current girlfriend from there lol), though I've heard Bumble is a bit better for that.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I haven't gotten on a dating app, soon to be newly divorced, but reading threads here make me believe they're not for me. Like I don't take a ton of pics, I'm not into hiking and adventure, but I should portray myself that way so get all these vapid instababes who I'd be unable to relate to anyway. I don't want to change myself to get the type of person who I don't want to be with anyway. I haven't figured out how I'm supposed to attract quiet nerds who want to complain over coffee and never go dancing.

Plum

May 31, 2018
There are some apps/sites that let you be pretty clear about expectations, what you're looking for, etc. I feel like OKCupid does this well, but I haven't used it in a long time. Tinder probably isn't the best avenue for anything too serious initially (although I met my current girlfriend from there lol), though I've heard Bumble is a bit better for that.

Thanks for the reminder! I haven't used OKCupid yet, but I did see on Reddit that they have some asexual-friendly options so maybe I should try it out. Stuff like Grindr and Tinder are just bleh, they're pretty much completely useless to me.

xfactor99

Oct 28, 2017
This doesn't really bother me that much, but I swear I see 'extroverted introvert' on a lot more dating profiles than I expected.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
The absurd number of couples looking for a third wheel on women looking for women on tinder.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Why would I want to date someone that hates The Office or Parks and Rec?

Nothing wrong with that, I use a Parks and Rec quote on Bumble as a hook. The question is when that seems to be the only iota of personality they have.

That's my pet peeve, that and women who think that liking dogs is also a substitute for a personality (though that comes from the fact that I don't like dogs as a class, though have loved individual dogs owned by friends and family in my time).

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I'm out of that game. But when I was in it, I was always astounded at how generic everyone seemed. Everyone is into fitness, travelling, good food and drinks. "Netflix" over clubbing. Everyone had a picture with a group of third world children. If you're a Republican/Trumper (or Liberal/Atheist) swipe left. Lot of women also tended to have a huge list of "If you....". The demand list seemed fairly restrictive and harsh for no good reason.

But I look around and well, most people are single, bitter and complaining about dating apps. Makes sense.

May be be a bit more open and give each other more chances. But well, here we are.

Kisaya

Oct 25, 2017
Never used a dating app, but I used an app for finding friends and I was really sick of yoga girls.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018

- The Office
- Game of Thrones
- Friends
- Wine
- Adventure
- Harry Potter
- Hiking

The average person has many of the same likes. They will be similar, it's just that without access to mass amounts of people most don't realise this

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only one seeing people list their venmo/cashapp in profiles? Obviously, those are easy to ignore, but you would think the apps would ban that crap.

Oct 28, 2017
This is definitely a thing, but the text next to the non blue icons looks like she's describing herself, but I don't know what that app is so I can't say.
Dude. I'm using the app. This isn't some misunderstanding. The bolder ones are the parts that I fit to her preferences. This person is saying they prefer white people. What is with all the doubt?

Edit: thought you were the person I was responding to and thought that the person was doubling-down on the doubt.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't gotten on a dating app, soon to be newly divorced, but reading threads here make me believe they're not for me. Like I don't take a ton of pics, I'm not into hiking and adventure, but I should portray myself that way so get all these vapid instababes who I'd be unable to relate to anyway. I don't want to change myself to get the type of person who I don't want to be with anyway. I haven't figured out how I'm supposed to attract quiet nerds who want to complain over coffee and never go dancing.
Don't worry, they aren't either.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Kinda went back and forth with a friend when I saw something similar to this and she said they at least know what they want and are being upfront about it. I guess that is true but kinda a bad look to me when you say you aren't looking to date a black person or white person, etc. Idk lol

Only thing I hate on dating apps is how boring I am to all these girls lol. Skydiving, dogs, trips to Paris and other places as well as the usual rock climbing. I wish they'd quote some Marvel movies or Game of Thrones stuff.

InspectaDekka

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
I'd say really unengaging profiles which makes conversation insanely difficult when they have the most simplistic and mindnumbing one word answers.

Also, never getting any matches :(