• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
When I match with a girl, she starts the conversation and then never responds. Like, wtf?

Another thing is "looking for serious relationships only". Yeah, use the app that works purely on visual attraction to find your future husband. Fuck off

Zareth

Oct 25, 2017
I hate when people talk about how their kids are their number one priority and nothing will come in the way of that... I would fkn hope so, I don't understand why people would even feel the need to mention that. That should be a given.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
How everyone is looking for a partner in crime

Everyone has a picture of them shooting a gun. Anything less than a rifle or shotgun is laughable now. I immediately think "I've seen bigger"

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hi everyone! I'm Alice. I'm a student of life. I studied at Hogwarts and the School of Hard Knocks with a degree in sarcasm and loving adventure. I'm 5' 8", since apparently it matters. INTJ. I'm such an Aquarius. I always said I'd never use one of these things, but I'm just seeing what's out there. I don't do drama or baggage. Work hard, play hard! Don't talk to me before I've had my coffee. I'm a riddle wrapped in an enigma. I love to live, laugh, and learn. I'm looking for someone who doesn't take life too seriously. Dog mom! I love to travel. My ideal night out is watching Netflix. My kids come first! Looking for a partner in crime. I'm an open book, ask me anything! Too shy to message, hit me up! No one reads this lame stuff anyway. If you can't handle me at my worst, you don't deserve me at my best. Webster's Dictionary defines...

Favorite books: Eat, Pray, Love and [insert whatever book was recently turned into an HBO series so that you know I'm cultured]

Favorite movies: Romantic comedies

Favorite TV shows: The Office, Friends, Game of Thrones

Here's some pictures of me hanging out with three other girls so you don't know which one I am.

I felt physically repulsed typing all this lol

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Hi everyone! I'm Alice. I'm a student of life. I studied at Hogwarts and the School of Hard Knocks with a degree in sarcasm and loving adventure. I'm 5' 8", since apparently it matters. INTJ. I'm such an Aquarius. I always said I'd never use one of these things, but I'm just seeing what's out there. I don't do drama or baggage. Work hard, play hard! Don't talk to me before I've had my coffee. I'm a riddle wrapped in an enigma. I love to live, laugh, and learn. I'm looking for someone who doesn't take life too seriously. Dog mom! I love to travel. My ideal night out is watching Netflix. My kids come first! Looking for a partner in crime. I'm an open book, ask me anything! Too shy to message, hit me up! No one reads this lame stuff anyway. If you can't handle me at my worst, you don't deserve me at my best. Webster's Dictionary defines...

Favorite books: Eat, Pray, Love and [insert whatever book was recently turned into an HBO series so that you know I'm cultured]

Here's some pictures of me hanging out with three other girls so you don't know which one I am.

You forgot sapiosexual....or was that last decade.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I read a lot of profiles from women saying "Don't just say hi". My pet peeve is every single time a woman has been the first to communicate, they just say "hi" :) Even on Bumble where that's the entire point is them starting the conversation...

Another thing is "looking for serious relationships only". Yeah, use the app that works purely on visual attraction to find your future husband. Fuck off
A whole lot of people use Tinder for real, serious dating, not just casual sex. Don't you want them to let you know before you contact them that they aren't what you are looking for?

Last edited:

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017

It's so obviously fake. You left out your support for the Oxford Comma.

Injustice45

Oct 29, 2017
I'm tired of all the mentions of The Office. Ironically, in my profile, I have a pic of myself with Leslie David Baker himself. On Hinge, a couple people are like "Is that Stanley from The Office?!" No, it's his stunt double, of course it's him.

I love dogs as much as the next person, but that shouldn't be a crutch for a dating profile. The profiles with one picture can piss off. Plus, any profile with the gender-swapping Snapchat filter is full of it. You're not fooling anyone.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad I met someone offline

we would not have matched with each other on a dating site, not each others type lookswise really and she would have had the most formulaic online profile imaginable despite being interesting as fuck to talk to in person lol. I'm also shit at first dates so it would have never got off the ground really. I wonder how many good people I passed over trying to find a 'zany' girl who's into good media

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think that the issue is that it's just really hard to show you're personality in a piece of text on a dating app. Best you can do is meet people and see what they're like.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I think that the issue is that it's just really hard to show you're personality in a piece of text on a dating app. Best you can do is meet people and see what they're like.
take likable and interesting photos. don't take the bio info seriously. usually just put an original take or joke.

dating apps aren't that difficult to navigate. folks like to put the failure elsewhere. you literally have to be in an area with 100 other people for you to never get a match or date.

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
I was going to say the "ask me" response in the "Describe yourself" field. Like seriously, I don't our first conversation to be an inquisition. How about putting some basic info about you or at the very least a goddamn hobby.

amanset

Oct 28, 2017
Back when I was on dating apps, every other girl on there had one of their pictures be themselves in front of angel wings that were painted on the wall (it's a piece of art in a highly trafficked part of LA). The same exact picture. My eyes just started glazing over eventually.

I've started collecting screenshots from Tinder of people with profile photos at the Holocaust Memorial in Berlin.

It is getting weird how often I see it.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
People saying the same shit and generic profiles was comforting in a weird way.

The reality is that most people are generally pretty damn boring and that's okay.

From what I remember on Tinder, the only two pet peeves I had were:

1. Girl that can't take a normal god damn photo of herself so I have no clue what she looks like
2. Bots

Nov 17, 2017
I just remembered this one:

White people surrounded by African children.

tumblr_ofagx62Dc11ttmx9fo1_640.jpg

Noooo thank you. I matched with a girl with a picture like this once. One of the first things she asks is if I'm African (because of my name and well, me being black).

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
I swear like 90% of the profiles I've seen online have the words I'm listing below.

- The Office
- Game of Thrones
- Friends
- Wine
- Adventure
- Harry Potter
- Hiking
- Too shy to message, so message me!

It makes me feel like I'm viewing the same person's profile over and over with different pictures.

Hiking? I wish!

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
lol nice bump. Hiking was always in profiles when I was on those apps and they would have pictures of them at the beach or on a trail. To be honest, I'd prefer seeing a woman sitting on the couch eating chips or with a controller in her hand. More believable than the "I like to hike" shit everyone puts up.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I totally understand why so many people don't read profiles. 99% of them are the exact same.
You're loyal, ambitious, empathic and funny, you're tired of games and/or drama, you love to travel and hike, you have a fur baby or two, you're somehow 22 with 3 kids, you're a bit of a geek because you like Game of Thrones and Marvel movies, you like true crime, etc.
You'd think there was one single person creating all these profiles. Or a robot.

And oh yeah, you enjoy staying in to watch Netflix but also enjoy going out with friends.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Anyone tried eharmony? Was told that because its so pricey and actually take some efforts to setup, ppl are more likely to be serious about a real long term relationship.

jimtothehum

Mar 23, 2018
I think women have become so self-conscious about their bodies, it's a race to see who can do the tightest shot of their face. I swear all the profile pics are extreme close ups, angled down, with slightly pursed lips to ensure more angular face.

Oct 25, 2017
I totally understand why so many people don't read profiles. 99% of them are the exact same.
You're loyal, ambitious, empathic and funny, you're tired of games and/or drama, you love to travel and hike, you have a fur baby or two, you're somehow 22 with 3 kids, you're a bit of a geek because you like Game of Thrones and Marvel movies, you like true crime, etc.
You'd think there was one single person creating all these profiles. Or a robot.

And oh yeah, you enjoy staying in to watch Netflix but also enjoy going out with friends.
Don't forget obsessed with JTT.

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
"look at me, I travel all the time. So much in fact it's the theme of my entire profile. See? I have a picture of me with an elephant and one surfing and one with a child not my race. So you see how international, adventurous and great I am."

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I've moved around to different areas/states in the US and it is funny how profiles have some sort of collective mind based on location. It is really evident in photos and a bit more subtle in bios.

I do think apps with just a basic Picture ---> Bio structure have issues with sheer basicness and low effort. You kind of have to keep it simple on Tinder because it is so rapid-fire. That is what leads to the same generic, quick bios. It brings up the conundrum of trying to appeal to a wider audience to get more likes or to be specific and aim for higher quality matches.

Bumble is a bit better now with the question prompts, but you should be able to create your own prompts along with answers. Hinge takes it a step further because you have to like something specific in a profile, which means people take the time to decide on your profile and it is obvious if someone put no effort into it. There is also more quick nuance in Bumble/Hinge that you can show through the exercise/drinking/smoking/religion/politics/looking for options.

Also, dating in this environment is so tough if you get to that point. Unless something immediately clicks, it is so tempting to set up other dates to see if there is something better or to just back out. I have that issue on my own if I'm only kind of feeling it during a date.

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Anyone tried eharmony? Was told that because its so pricey and actually take some efforts to setup, ppl are more likely to be serious about a real long term relationship.
I hear this a lot too, but I didn't. I did have a buddy do that and match.com. His connection actually worked out and they ended up getting married, been together for 3 or 4 years now.

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
Thinking 'I really like the look of this girl', matching and not getting an answer. I guess the ero waves are readable.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see this more often than not where a couple will make a joint profile for whatever reason.

Because yes! That's what I come to tinder for.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
If you're looking for long-term relationship viability, Hinge has been great for me. They market themselves as a relationship and not a hook-up app, and that's the vibe I've gotten from the profiles and chats.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
The fucking wings on the wall. Literally the last two months for me summed up in 90 seconds. Except replace the guy with white women.

What's up with that street art? Like I've seen "wings on the wall" pics in multiple cities. Weird pop art graffiti to spruce up gentrified areas?

Min

Oct 25, 2017
Another weird one is people aggrandizing their recent acts of kindness as a bumble profile question. I'm not about tooting my own horn when trying to help others. I've even seen people answer the question and be kind of indignant about 'the homeless not being grateful for the new pair of sandals that they were given' very strange....

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
If you're looking for long-term relationship viability, Hinge has been great for me. They market themselves as a relationship and not a hook-up app, and that's the vibe I've gotten from the profiles and chats.
Only problem for me with hinge is that it is not very popular in where I live. I see the exact same profiles for like 3 weeks.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Disney pass holder, loving 'Wine' and 'Hiking', and pictures of them at Machu Pichu were instant Nopes for me.

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Snapchat filters. Aside from the whole high school feel of them, I much more appreciate when I get to see what a woman actually looks like.

Having an Instagram handle as the only thing listed in a profile. This tells me all they're looking for is followers. I know I will never actually hear from any of these women.

"Feed me tacos and tell me I'm pretty." Is this a meme I completely missed the boat on? Because it seems like it's included in half the profiles I read.