• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
aiGGuxQ_d.jpg
I thought this was a second section about herself at first. Holy shit. Also amazing how there's so many things with "no preference", but somehow race has to be specified.

the only one that really bugs me is the "i'm sarcastic" description

most girls i've dated aren't actually sarcastic STOP LYING TO ME
Because failing at being sarcastic is the worst thing ever!

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only used dating apps briefly and had only 1 issue.

1. I think its fine if people don't answer.
2. I think its fine if they stop answering.
Dating Apps are almost all a numbers game. You keep swiping, keep messaging, and it only hits maybe like 5% of the time if you're lucky.

My one frustration was bots. Really wish they could crack down on those.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Met my wife on EHarmony. Great site.

Also, who gives a flying fuck if they like to 'watch the office'? My wife likes watching the Kardashians, Real Housewives and other shows which are complete garbage. She also loves Twin Peaks, The Wire, and Arrested Development. She loves groups like One Direction yet she freaked out when Jai Paul released a new track.

Get over yourself, sheesh.

NeverWas

Feb 28, 2019
"ask me" in lieu of any info. i've gotten into a few conversations with folks who had that in their profile, and they are always terrible conversationalists.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I swear its like all the white girls in the uk go to the same 5 places to get their pictures taken.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I just remembered this one:

White people surrounded by African children.

tumblr_ofagx62Dc11ttmx9fo1_640.jpg

Noooo thank you. I matched with a girl with a picture like this once. One of the first things she asks is if I'm African (because of my name and well, me being black).
Yikes looks like poverty tourism, reminds me of BoJack Horseman where Sebastian gets off on telling others of his charity work in a warzone.
9bjp.gif

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Been having good luck on dating apps, at least for a shorter guy like me. Main pet peeve is boring profiles on Hinge. The reason I like Hinge is because you get to answer interesting questions about yourself. Lot of women just add boring 1 word answers that boil down to food, Netflix, and hanging out. Then in conversation they expect me to do all the work. It doesn't happen that often, though.

Last edited:

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Its the best when there are 5 pictures, and each has the same 5 people in them. Which one are you? Why have you done this?

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
On the apps putting what ethnicity you prefer is kind of redundant unless you're swiping on everyone?!

Maybe it's a way certain women make it clear they'd never ever consider a black man. I personally think it's a bit try hard.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Nothing wrong with that. Race is part of attraction, I don't get upset when a girl puts "Only interested in Black men" which I see often.

What is laughable though when they feel the need to put "You will never come before my kids". Like.. really, do you have to even state this? Comes across as such a bad attitude.

fetishising race is low key almost on the same level as rejecting people for their race

a916

Oct 25, 2017
What is laughable though when they feel the need to put "You will never come before my kids". Like.. really, do you have to even state this? Comes across as such a bad attitude.

There's also some really overly negative profiles like "Prove to me you're not like the other douchebags on this app" and the "I'm ashamed I'm even on here"

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
It's very borderline basic especially the pics at Machu Picchu
So people who go to Machu Pichu are basic? Like, I think that's a pretty high bar. I've never been to Machu Pichu and I'm sure 99% of ResetEra hasn't either. A lot of folks need to actually realize that people do things and enjoy things. When you go, "It's basic to go to Machu Pichu" then it only confirms how extraordinary your standards are or you cannot realize that these are normal things most people want or would want to do.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
So people who go to Machu Pichu are basic? Like, I think that's a pretty high bar. I've never been to Machu Pichu and I'm sure 99% of ResetEra hasn't either. A lot of folks need to actually realize that people do things and enjoy things. When you go, "It's basic to go to Machu Pichu" then it only confirms how extraordinary your standards are or you cannot realize that these are normal things most people want or would want to do.

It's done with tongue slightly in cheek

But It is a running theme on the dating apps in Vancouver. In fact I just saw three different profiles on Bumble with it in the background.

There other fave things the outdoors and dogs. All we needed was yoga and summer patio drinking to top it off

I mean come on haha

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
So my white female friend who says she's only attracted to black guys because she finds dark skin so attractive is racist? Maybe I should drop her immediately and call the police.

It's not racist, just a bit weird. I mean to her it probably sounds like a compliment.

But if a white guy said he finds black women really sexy because of their brown skin or an Asian woman because of their color, they would most rightly think the guy was a creeper fetishising them.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
It's done with tongue slightly in cheek

But It is a running theme on the dating apps in Vancouver. In fact I just saw three different profiles on Bumble with it in the background.

There other fave things the outdoors and dogs. All we needed was yoga and summer patio drinking to top it off

I mean come on haha
Oh no! People like exercising, being outside, and traveling! The horror! They seem like catches and all you can do is hate. You'd probably like yoga.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Oh no! People like exercising, being outside, and traveling! The horror! They seem like catches and all you can do is hate. You'd probably like yoga.

I actually do Yoga.

But so does everyone in Van, it's not a selling point :p

I also like the outdoors and occasional hiking escapades so does everyone else here. It's why we live here.

I like to hear stuff like what the last piece of art or music that sparked a feeling for them.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I actually do Yoga.

But so does everyone in Van, it's not a selling point :p

I also like the outdoors and occasional hiking escapades so does everyone else here. It's why we live here.

I like to hear stuff like what the last piece of art or music that sparked a feeling for them.
So instead of capitalizing on all these common interests, you find fault in them even though you do them? It seems they don't have to channel their inner Neo as you're not shooting accurately in the first place.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
What's up with that street art? Like I've seen "wings on the wall" pics in multiple cities. Weird pop art graffiti to spruce up gentrified areas?

Instagram magnets. If your area has no culture for tourists give them something to take pictures of.

Its the best when there are 5 pictures, and each has the same 5 people in them. Which one are you? Why have you done this?

Not the mega hot one.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Yo so like I just started using these dating apps for the first time and yeah everything y'all say is spot on but holy shit I've seen a couple profiles already that have shit like "blue lives matter" in the description. Like holy shit what is this??? Like I appreciate you telling me I should stay far away but whaaaaat??? And I live in a beach town so its just bikini pics and "loving the beach" descriptions like we don't all love the fucking beach being we live next to the beach. Its funny.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
"Must love dogs"...Who the fuck doesn't like dogs? Shit used to trigger me when I was in the game. 20 somethings have this weird obsession with dogs, like it's some special personality trait to love a dog.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017

I mean, I came across a Lot of Machu Pichu profiles when I was on last year. Like a few a day. To the point where I had to look at vacation packages and ticket prices to see if there was a fire sale or something. And I dated one or two if them, and was hoping they could tell me some cool Peru stories, maybe something they experienced being around that culture and community but nope, "just went there with friends and partied so hard, drank a lot etc" . (I live in Los Angeles too so different pool of women).
The same type of women like the generic wine and hiking. And the Disney Pass Holders I dated, we're Way too crazy about Disney. Like their homes had Disney shit everywhere. Everywhere. And they'd want to go to those parks as often as possible.
So it's not like I just make these judgments off non-experienced bias. I just know, have dated, and it was a waste of time. And I wasn't getting any younger haha.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
If you're looking for long-term relationship viability, Hinge has been great for me. They market themselves as a relationship and not a hook-up app, and that's the vibe I've gotten from the profiles and chats.

For me their icebreakers really obscure myself and obscure the women I'm looking at. Maybe it's regional differences, but it seems as shallow as Bumble to me but with that neat "recommended" feature.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
"Must love dogs"...Who the fuck doesn't like dogs? Shit used to trigger me when I was in the game. 20 somethings have this weird obsession with dogs, like it's some special personality trait to love a dog.

Dogs love unconditionally if you feed them and won't ghost them after they've had sex.

But the damn near obsession some women have with them is scary. Fur babies, etc

Pictures with them kissing dogs in the mouth. Flat out nasty stuff.

Also the legendary " I'll probably like your dog more than you"

Foxhound

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
I think it's pretty ridiculous that anyone would cry wolf and call racism if an individual is not attracted to a certain race. Using that logic, you could argue somebody is sexist because they aren't attracted to a certain gender. Sexuality is something you can't really control.

Now, if you treat people of a different skin color than yours differently/poorly, that's grounds for racism.

softfocus

Oct 30, 2017
The thing is like I feel women purposely make their profiles off-putting to prove how desperate us men are. Like "can you handle my clingyness/depression/daddy issues?" And we still swipe right anyway.
As much as I know Tinder is meant to be hooking up, I feel so sleazy looking at some of the profiles. Like, is this to get as many likes as possible or are you really that desperate for a bang that a pretty girl is resorting to Tinder to fuck a stranger?
I've taken a break for this reason, I was overthinking an app that involves swiping then making a shit chat up line to then eventually banging or ghosting.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hate it when I try out some funny jokes like 'Have you heard about the Titanic?'and they're like it's 'Long and Full of Semen' or Have you heard the thing about butter and they're like 'I want you to freeze a butter stick and use it to beat my ass like a Bongo Drum'.
So you hate when they know the punchline or hate when they give you a punchline that wasn't the direction you were going?

Nov 17, 2017
I think it's pretty ridiculous that anyone would cry wolf and call racism if an individual is not attracted to a certain race. Using that logic, you could argue somebody is sexist because they aren't attracted to a certain gender. Sexuality is something you can't really control.

Now, if you treat people of a different skin color than yours differently/poorly, that's grounds for racism.
No, you can't use that logic. Thinking an entire race is unattractive is not a sexuality. It's learned. Whether you're gay, straight, bi, etc., that's something that you're born with. Homosexual is a well known and accepted term, for example. Have you ever heard of Whitesexual? Or Asiansexual? Anythingbutblacksexual?

Think about what a black person looks like. Like actually think about how many black people exist in the world, how varied and distinct black individuals around the world, hell, in one small corner of the world look from one another. You're really going to say you couldn't possibly be attracted to any one of them and that you wouldn't ever date one? If you're going to write off an entire race like that, then you are treating them differently and poorly.

Foxhound

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
User Banned (2 weeks): Rationalizing and excusing racism, account in junior phase.
No, you can't use that logic. Thinking an entire race is unattractive is not a sexuality. It's learned. Whether you're gay, straight, bi, etc., that's something that you're born with. Homosexual is a well known and accepted term, for example. Have you ever heard of Whitesexual? Or Asiansexual? Anythingbutblacksexual?

Think about what a black person looks like. Like actually think about how many black people exist in the world, how varied and distinct black individuals around the world, hell, in one small corner of the world look from one another. You're really going to say you couldn't possibly be attracted to any one of them and that you wouldn't ever date one? If you're going to write off an entire race like that, then you are treating them differently and poorly.

Yeaaaaaah no.

For the record, I am attracted to all races, as long as the individual meets my standard for attraction, so this in no way applies to me.

But, sexuality is not a learned behavior, it is innate. Also true is that certain races of people have defined physical attributes. I'm not going to get into that convo because it wouldn't be productive listing off what they are, but to deny that claim is just false.

Knowing those two things, if a person is not attracted to certain physical features, that doesn't make them racist. It just means they aren't attracted to them. Period. End of story. No need to overthink this.

Now there's a big difference between thinking an entire race is unattractive versus not being attracted to a certain race. The former is rooted in negative biases on physicality - "All _______ are unattractive." - and believing it to be a general fact of life. The later is not racist and more along the lines of "I'M not attracted to ________."

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When they don't look like the picture that they put on their profile, like damn it happens every time

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017
Yeaaaaaah no.

For the record, I am attracted to all races, as long as the individual meets my standard for attraction, so this in no way applies to me.

But, sexuality is not a learned behavior, it is innate. Also true is that certain races of people have defined physical attributes. I'm not going to get into that convo because it wouldn't be productive listing off what they are, but to deny that claim is just false.

Knowing those two things, if a person is not attracted to certain physical features, that doesn't make them racist. It just means they aren't attracted to them. Period. End of story. No need to overthink this.

Now there's a big difference between thinking an entire race is unattractive versus not being attracted to a certain race. The former is rooted in negative biases on physicality - "All _______ are unattractive." - and believing it to be a general fact of life. The later is not racist and more along the lines of "I'M not attracted to ________."
I'm not going to get into a big thing with you about this because it's off topic but you completely missed my point. Of course sexuality is not learned. That's the thing though; race based sexuality does not exist. It's not a thing. And to believe that it is, is racist. It's why even you can't explain how it supposedly would work because you know it would sound racist if you "got into it."

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so glad I've been taken for a while, I have no idea how I'd survive with dating apps nowadays.

All these situations are hilarious though, thank you folks for being on the front line!