• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Two biggest frustrations with this show:

1) The editing - While i finished the season, the first couple of episodes were really hard to get into, especially the first. The overall production values are top notch but they have the central person of each episode wear the same exact outfit.....for every single date and they go to the same exact place....at the same exact time of day and sit in the same exact seats and on the same side of the cab, etc.

Combine this with the fact that there's virtually no explanation, lead in or preamble to each episode, i watched the first episode thinking there was gonna be some kind of plot twist that never comes, which in retrospect is fine once you realize the whole notion of them inorganically manipulating each date in the above fashion was just so they could have nice transitional shots

2) With the exception of maybe the girl with the red lipstick (sarah i think) and the old guy at the end, all the central people of each episode seemed pretty standoffish and it came off as if the people they were dating were trying to impress them rather than feeling like both people were genuinely trying to get to know each other. The guy from the first episode was a massive blank slate. He was a nice attractive guy but didn't express any sort of depth whatsoever yet a lot of his dates were thirsty as fuck or at least far more authentic. The asian guy was pretty brash and pretentious at times. Maybe this is due to some behind the scenes editing but it added to the inorganic feel of the show

Last edited:

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I gave this a try, and probably the show would play better if there was some sort of commentator.
I could barely make it through the first episode and the dude has the charisma and magnetism of an hash tray... he might be nervous because of the camera but he seemed really dull.

On the other end me and my bf were considering doing a drinking game out of this and have a shot every time the guy said "yeah" but I don't believe there is enough liquor in my house to accomplish that task.

It was really bad, not interesting and I really hope that this is not what dating is like for americans or new yorkers: it felt more like people exchanging CVs instead of organic interesting conversation happening between the two of them...

again, it might be because every party involved was nervous because of the cameras, but if that is the case please cast people that can manage better than that.
Did feel like people were going to say " I am trying to build a brand" at any moment

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
First dude charisma is close to zero. Hard to watch. For some reason I decided to just keep it playing on my TV while I do something else, but I keep paying attention... Second episode with the guy trashing the indian/french/american girl was horrendous. They were already almost fighting while drinking and I am sure any normal person would just change the subject after that and be ok that this was a first and last date. The guy basically said noone can ever trust her, and when she reacted saying that this was the last time they would meet he went crazy and left LOL. what a stupid piece of human being.

Jun 18, 2018
Only saw the first episode but it was too contrived for me to want to watch the rest. It pales in comparison between its two British counterparts: 'First Dates' and 'Dinner Date', which are both much more grounded, genuine and emotive.

https://www.realitytitbit.com/whats...tes-in-the-us-catch-up-with-the-new-uk-series

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/...o-dinner-date-the-greatest-show-on-british-tv

I know there's been some attempts abroad to do First Dates, but none are as good as the original. But if you're not from the UK, and love those shows in general, do all you can to hunt these both down.

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love dating shows, but this was garbage. The guy in the first episode sucks. I don't want him to find love. He sucks.

SaraNWrap

Alt account
Banned
Jan 30, 2019
For episode 5 I must be the only person that thought she was easily going to pick the guy she did. She seemed to have the most actual real chemistry with him

guiloahhhhh

Oct 29, 2017
Really enjoyed this actually. Just quick hits and like someone else said just a quick snapshot of normal people out there. Good God that Gurkhi episode was rough obviously never would wish that on her but just fascinating to see a meltdown real time like that. Sarah seemed a little weird idk lol not the choice I would have thought she would have made.

Amazing production values but yeah pretty bare bones. Funny how you starting rooting for x person lol and get all disappointed when they're not picked. Amazing to see so many trashy type people out there as well......makes me feel a little better about myself honestly.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd actually suggest people watch this. It was really only the first episode that was boring because everyone, aside from the girl from Boston, was so incredibly boring. The rest of the episodes have much more interesting people

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Lol Sarah is very divisive online I've noticed. I feel like we've all known a person like her though. She kinda came off as a bit "try-hard" in her episode, but I'd understand if being filmed on a show would make you nervous and bring out an annoying side of yourself. Thought she was gonna pick the taller white dude and not the more bland one.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Having only seen this, this dude is a huge piece of shit. Is the rest of the show like this?

Just watched that episode and that guy fucking sucks!
Couldn't believe what he was doing there.

And imagine being in her shoes and having a date this bad forever stuck on TV.
I hope that's not a too common thing that happens to women while dating.

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I'm on episode 2. Will stop after it. The editing seems off. The dialoge, while being ("realistic"?) seems too much to me. Also, how the f is it filmed? Are the dates switching places while eating and drinking, or is the main date always wearing the same clothes?!

OP
OP
Vern

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Season 2 Episode 2 is the most cringe inducing tv I've ever seen. I was covering my face by the end it was so awkward. Dude is a maniac.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm on episode 2. Will stop after it. The editing seems off. The dialoge, while being ("realistic"?) seems too much to me. Also, how the f is it filmed? Are the dates switching places while eating and drinking, or is the main date always wearing the same clothes?!
They have the same dater go on separate dates wearing the same clothes at the same places

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
The second episode of this most recent season is just emotional torture. The dude is obviously an eccentric, but mixing that with a freshly ended ten year relationship - of course the man was a nervous wreck.

The girl he ended up with was cute though. Seems like she was capable of calming him down a bit, while still having her own energy.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
The asian guy's pick in episode 1 was surprising. lol

I couldn't finish Episode 2. I was doing this the whole time and couldn't take it anymore šŸ˜¬

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
episode 2 made me and my gf extremely nervous, wow. Good show to binge and forget that it ever existed, till the next season comes. I also loved the episode with the guy that loves to go hunting being paired up with an animal rights kind of person hahahahahaha the editing was superb too in their interactions.

Caddywompus

Mar 10, 2018
That episode 2 is so hard to watch. It's like Marty McFly's dad levels of cringe cranked up to 11. I'm winching just thinking about that guy.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
main date is wearing the same clothes/goes to the same place. you hear star of the episode often ask their date if they've ever been to the restaraunt and they'll respond with 'oh yeah i've been before' cause, well, they have.

episode 2 was tough
also that guy who wanted to be in a poly relationship with bisexual women only, ahahah oh boy