• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sneijder

Oct 28, 2017
Cologne
Fuck my life...
I am in a relationship, since summer 2017, but about half a year ago I graduated and we always chilled, slept, etc at my parent's house. So after University, it was time with my new job, to find an apartment. As the apartment became more and more realistic, she got more distant... So we had a rough relation at the time from new year to march, but in the end, we talked and i thought it would be better now, because she called me often (like the time before), came to me, cooked etc but than bouumm we are in the same situation...
And right now i hate my life, i work 5 days a week, and have to travel for 3 days, so not much free time and not much energy to do something after work. Everywhere i look i see happy couples, weather is getting more and more sunnier, most of my good friends are also in (happy) relationships, so at the weekends, they dont have much time, or want to do something boring like watching ufc at home, but i want to go out, drinking a couple of desperados and have a good time with a little bit vitamin d ...

So i managed to get my degree, got an nice Mercedes, a nice appartment, and i can buy me a lot of things, but i am unhappy...

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck my life...
I am in a relationship, since summer 2017, but about half a year ago I graduated and we always chilled, slept, etc at my parent's house. So after University, it was time with my new job, to find an apartment. As the apartment became more and more realistic, she got more distant... So we had a rough relation at the time from new year to march, but in the end, we talked and i thought it would be better now, because she called me often (like the time before), came to me, cooked etc but than bouumm we are in the same situation...
And right now i hate my life, i work 5 days a week, and have to travel for 3 days, so not much free time and not much energy to do something after work. Everywhere i look i see happy couples, weather is getting more and more sunnier, most of my good friends are also in (happy) relationships, so at the weekends, they dont have much time, or want to do something boring like watching ufc at home, but i want to go out, drinking a couple of desperados and have a good time with a little bit vitamin d ...

So i managed to get my degree, got an nice Mercedes, a nice appartment, and i can buy me a lot of things, but i am unhappy...

So your relationship sucks? Or your job? Or both?

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Fuck my life...

You have to find a good job/life balance or you're going to be miserable for eternity.

Oct 25, 2017
China
Fuck my life...

Sounds like you are doing when you are supposed to do, not what you want to do. Working 5 days a week is normal so it's nothing to complain about.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
If I went on a first date, thought everything went great and we clicked really well, had a good time, and said she'd be down for another date at the end of the night... but then when I messaged her for another date she said she "didn't feel a connection" and doesn't want to go out again... did I do something wrong? Did I read the signs wrong? Cause I thought the date was really good and we had a great connection. But apparently that's not the case. This was literally the first ever actual date I've been on, so I'm new to this.

Could I have completely misread the situation? Could she have just been faking it during the date? Change of heart after time to think on it maybe? Idk, I went from really excited for date #2 to not even getting one lol.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
If I went on a first date, thought everything went great and we clicked really well, had a good time, and said she'd be down for another date at the end of the night... but then when I messaged her for another date she said she "didn't feel a connection" and doesn't want to go out again... did I do something wrong? Did I read the signs wrong? Cause I thought the date was really good and we had a great connection. But apparently that's not the case. This was literally the first ever actual date I've been on, so I'm new to this.

Could I have completely misread the situation? Could she have just been faking it during the date? Change of heart after time to think on it maybe? Idk, I went from really excited for date #2 to not even getting one lol.
people aren't math formulas. You can never be sure what she's really feeling and trying to do so will just drive you crazy. You had a good time so take this as a win and find another person to go on a date with.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I went on a first date, thought everything went great and we clicked really well, had a good time, and said she'd be down for another date at the end of the night... but then when I messaged her for another date she said she "didn't feel a connection" and doesn't want to go out again
Women do this sometimes because a lot of men don't react well to rejection. It's unfortunate but other men killed it for us.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
China

When I said to you in the first date topic "expect the unexpected" this is actually what I was referring to. I didn't' want to be a buzzkill to you at the time.

By my estimation just based on being in these dating topics 80%+ of first dates don't lead to a second one and the woman saying she wants another date with you at the end of the first date means nothing (unless she follows through obvs. )

You've got to bear in mind that women have been treated in some cases VERY badly for rejecting guys, so they will for thier safety reject men at a safe distance not in thier face at the end of the date.

You did nothing wrong, that's just how it goes. Don't let it get you down, get out there and get your sencond first date champ!

Oct 25, 2017
China
Women do this sometimes because a lot of men don't react well to rejection. It's unfortunate but other men killed it for us.
I agree with this. Some guys really do ruin it

And if anyone wants to see first hand examples of this the R/niceguys subreddit content is made mostly of guys rage messages at women for things as innocuous as not replying to a text fast enough. There's a lot of grade A douchebags out there.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
Happens, man. There's not much you can do about it.
people aren't math formulas. You can never be sure what she's really feeling and trying to do so will just drive you crazy. You had a good time so take this as a win and find another person to go on a date with.
When I said to you in the first date topic "expect the unexpected" this is actually what I was referring to. I didn't' want to be a buzzkill to you at the time.

By my estimation just based on being in these dating topics 80%+ of first dates don't lead to a second one and the woman saying she wants another date with you at the end of the first date means nothing (unless she follows through obvs. )

You've got to bear in mind that women have been treated in some cases VERY badly for rejecting guys, so they will for thier safety reject men at a safe distance not in thier face at the end of the date.

You did nothing wrong, that's just how it goes. Don't let it get you down, get out there and get your sencond first date champ!

Thanks fellas. I was down about it for a little bit but I'm over it, it was only one date. The journey continues I guess!

I was just wondering if there were any signs I missed or something but I suppose that's just the way it goes sometimes. Oh well! Was still a good experience to get out on an actual first date for the first time rather than just meeting someone through school or a mutual friend.

Deleted member 8118

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks fellas. I was down about it for a little bit but I'm over it, it was only one date. The journey continues I guess!

I was just wondering if there were any signs I missed or something but I suppose that's just the way it goes sometimes. Oh well! Was still a good experience to get out on an actual first date for the first time rather than just meeting someone through school or a mutual friend.
Yeah, it's rough at first, but you eventually bounce back. Dating is fun, but even you will find the ones that you just don't sync with. Don't lead them on. Just be honest. It'll save you annoyance and them any wasted time.

Deleted member 8118

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Warning: LONG ASS POST

Well, I guess I'll show my reaction to a woman who I have known for a while who didn't feel the same about me as I did for her.

One week, I found you crossing my mind every day. Even I realized that was an issue, but I didn't back off.

It felt like all of the emotions of a confusing, mental gymnastics relationship. All of these hints, double meanings, suggestions, compliments, flirting, teasing, sharing memories, experiences, ups, downs, allowing for each other to be vulnerable with each other....

We crossed too many emotional boundaries. I wanted more, but you don't, that's fine. To expect that much out of a man that is just a friend now is kind of asking for trouble, and it gives off the wrong signal ,unless it's just me with the problem.

I understand how you feel. Nothing to gain, but everything to lose.

I guess it's on me.

You shouldn't have worried about hurting me. I've never been in this position either, but I mishandled it myself.

I had the right idea, but I didn't pay attention to myself, and clouded my judgement.

I don't think seeing you would be a good thing for both of us, and I'm having second thoughts even talking to you.

If this is what you were afraid of talking about, sorry, I really am.

Maybe we can turn around and laugh at this sometime later.. who knows. These things just don't disappear.

I'm just going to have to cut contact for a while.

For context, whenever I would try to talk to her about it, she would change the subject. She said she avoided talking about it because she was afraid of losing what we have and that she has forgotten what its like to be what it's like to be in a relationship, and that she felt stuck in her last one.

I told her that I would never try and control her like her ex did, and that we should give it a try. She simply said that she wasn't feeling the same way and that she isn't in the right mindspace for anything serious.

I told her that cutting her out would likely be the best for me because I was afraid of over stepping my own boundaries.

She told me to do what's best for me, I try to do that, but I end up hurting her fucking feelings and she told me that all of this was going to need to be talked about with her psychiatrist. I got guilt tripped, unblocked her and told her that I'm sorry and that I didn't want this shit to be on a bad note.

For further context, we we're planning to meet up in Berlin together, then mid conversation I told her that it would be a terrible idea for us two to go out there because it would lead to a lot of fucked up things happening to each other emotionally. That's what spawned all of this.

Did I handle this poorly? She was kind of the one for me. I was incredibly straight forward with her and how I started to develop further feelings for her.

What I said above hurt her feelings.

There's a lot more history to this, but I'm trying to keep it brief. I'm not mad at her.

I got over it all, but she's still telling me that she still cares about me, that shes never met anyone like me, that I make her feel alive, like she's herself with me, that there's a connection like nothing she's experienced.

Fuck. I'm saying I'm over it, but here I am allowing for all of that fuck with my head. I don't know what's happening anymore.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ fuck this shit... What do I even do?

Last edited:

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
You're going to have to give us more backstory on this one. Your last posts in this topic were at the start of this month. Same person you posted about or someone different?

You've agreed to exclusivity with this woman last Saturday?

No. It's a different woman. Someone I've known since late 2014, and met on a dating site. She had a lot going on then, so we didn't enter a relationship, but remained friends and hung out. Talked more than we hung out though.

The other was someone I'd met on Hinge. She was a lot younger, and had invited me over once out of the blue, but I was busy and couldn't get away. I didn't message her for a week because of a death in the family, and she didn't reply when I tried to resurrect things. It always seemed too good to be true anyway.

I asked my girlfriend to be exclusive when she came over to watch the game and have some drinks last Saturday. My anxiety has been high since, because I'm worried about messaging her too much, saying the wrong thing, scaring her off and that type of thing. Hence the short post above.

This is all pretty new to me.

Oct 25, 2017
China
No. It's a different woman. Someone I've known since late 2014, and met on a dating site. She had a lot going on then, so we didn't enter a relationship, but remained friends and hung out. Talked more than we hung out though.

The other was someone I'd met on Hinge. She was a lot younger, and had invited me over once out of the blue, but I was busy and couldn't get away. I didn't message her for a week because of a death in the family, and she didn't reply when I tried to resurrect things. It always seemed too good to be true anyway.

I asked my girlfriend to be exclusive when she came over to watch the game and have some drinks last Saturday. My anxiety has been high since, because I'm worried about messaging her too much, saying the wrong thing, scaring her off and that type of thing. Hence the short post above.

This is all pretty new to me.
Sounds good, keep us updated and check in with us before you think you might be making the wrong move. Best of luck dude!

Kerrick

Oct 28, 2017
Do you guys ever cut dates short?
Went out with someone for the first time and we were supposed to eat. I pick her up at home and she's on a dress with no wallet on sight, already a red flag and spends the whole drive on Instagram kinda ignoring me while I try to make conversation. After we arrive, she kinda flirts with the waiter and comments she'd love to have him where she works.
So she orders premium beer and we talk a little while she mostly stays on her phone and I drop her home.
My question is, would you guys cut it short? My friends actually recommended I immediately leave after she flirted with the waiter.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Went out with someone for the first time and we were supposed to eat. I pick her up at home and she's on a dress with no wallet on sight, already a red flag and spends the whole drive on Instagram kinda ignoring me while I try to make conversation. After we arrive, she kinda flirts with the waiter and comments she'd love to have him where she works.
So she orders premium beer and we talk a little while she mostly stays on her phone and I drop her home.
My question is, would you guys cut it short? My friends actually recommended I immediately leave after she flirted with the waiter.
Yea, that's pretty bad. Haven't even seen my date's phone more than a few times, basically only when we were exchanging numbers or hailing Lyfts. Sounds like you were taken for a meal ticket

But yeah I'd find that awkward too. It hasn't happened to me but I can imagine how difficult it would be to figure out how to cut the rate short

Oct 25, 2017
China
I have, similar shitty behaviour as you've described (although not that bad). Depends how you know them, meeting through an app I'd just bail. Knowing them in real life, cut it short without looking like your cutting it short.

HeatKnuckle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Went through possibly the worst break up and I want to get better, I'm tired of feeling this way and i guess getting myself out there will help. Thanks for the OP!
EDIT: yo the discord link doesn't work anymore, is there still a way to get in?

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
My ex contacted me again and wants to get back together again. I guess I wasn't being clear enough last time. It's sort of breaking my heart a bit having to say no repeatedly. I feel cruel. And it makes me sad because being apart now for some time, I've realized I do have some feelings for her. But we were not good together, so this is the way it has to be

Brenal

Nov 5, 2017
Hello DatingEra!, longtime lurker since the datinGaf days, and now first time poster. I was wondering, any tips on how to handle a text conversation?, i consider myself very good with face to face conversations but for whatever reason whenever i try to chat it fizzles out, i dont know how long to wait to respond, when to cut it, how long should a text be etc. Any tips would be welcomed.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Can anyone give me some picture-taking tips? I might go back into the dating world around summer time - probably most of it online. I recently realized I have no pictures of me that aren't throwaway mirror selfies... usually most of my out-of-the-house hobbies I do by myself. I have some friends visiting so I'll ask them to take some pictures but wanted to know any general advice you guys might have.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Hello DatingEra!, longtime lurker since the datinGaf days, and now first time poster. I was wondering, any tips on how to handle a text conversation?, i consider myself very good with face to face conversations but for whatever reason whenever i try to chat it fizzles out, i dont know how long to wait to respond, when to cut it, how long should a text be etc. Any tips would be welcomed.
best approach, imo, is don't worry about it. use texts to set up dates and nothing else. even when you first match, just send a few messages before asking them out

OP
OP
Salamando

Salamando

Oct 25, 2017
Went through possibly the worst break up and I want to get better, I'm tired of feeling this way and i guess getting myself out there will help. Thanks for the OP!
EDIT: yo the discord link doesn't work anymore, is there still a way to get in?
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
This link should work for awhile.
Can anyone give me some picture-taking tips? I might go back into the dating world around summer time - probably most of it online. I recently realized I have no pictures of me that aren't throwaway mirror selfies... usually most of my out-of-the-house hobbies I do by myself. I have some friends visiting so I'll ask them to take some pictures but wanted to know any general advice you guys might have.
Odds are, neither you nor your friends are pros with a camera. The best way to get one pic that you like is to take 100's of pics, and pick the one or two that you like the most. In the future you can consider what made you like that photo...was it the angle? the lighting? the background?

Make sure your clothes fit, and make sure they look like they fit in photos. Depending on how you sit, how you stand, how you posture yourself, your clothes can bunch up. That never looks good on anyone.

You're (presumably) getting pics of you with friends and/or of you doing some outdoor hobbies. All good. The best pics will showcase what makes you you, and also what sets you apart from every other person in town. I'm in the middle of Appalachia, where having pics of you holding your latest hunt/fish trophy or pics of you in a sporting jersey are tropes. So I avoid those.

Oct 25, 2017
China
The best thing your already doing, getting friends to take pictures for you. The shots you need are, good non selfie portrait, full body shot, shot of you doing and activity/hobby and a group shot where it's clear who you are in the group. Avoid having any women in the pictures with you and remember to smile.

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone tried the premium services like Tinder Gold? Anyone think its worth it? I have a little gold icon on my Tinder app that says "+3" which means that more than 3 women apparently swiped right on me which I have a very very hard time believing lol

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
So this is a little fucked up.

I am seeing this girl for 2 month now. Same one I wrote about before. Things have been going great! A little slow on the relationship side - we don't want to rush anything since we were not able to see each other that often.

So I was proposing to meet on Wednesday because she cought an earlier shift and I am leaving town on Thursday again. She says she's not busy but she doesn't know if she wants to meet. She feels like she's losing interest.
This is out of the blue, we have been writing regularly and joking around right up to that point.

I'm out of country atm but back home tonight and we are now meeting tonight to talk. No idea where that's gonna go, but I feel like shit and initiated the desire to meet for a talk.

No idea if I'm overreacting.

Nov 17, 2017
Has anyone tried the premium services like Tinder Gold? Anyone think its worth it? I have a little gold icon on my Tinder app that says "+3" which means that more than 3 women apparently swiped right on me which I have a very very hard time believing lol
It's not worth it. Think about it; what advantage does knowing who likes you before you swipe grant you?

If you swipe right on someone and you match, congratulations, you just found out they like you. And all the people you swiped left on that liked you? Why do you need to know?

Just keep using tinder like normal and save some money.

Oct 27, 2017
Had date 4 last night. Had some Korean food and wandered around the neighborhood talking. Talked a lot and I like her a lot and it feels like everything is going well but we haven't kissed yet, and based on conversations I've had with people here and in my life I am anxious about it. But, I think I'm putting a lot of pressure on myself and on her to make it happen quickly. Put my arm around her trying to be a sly guy for a little while and I felt like I was trying too hard. Everything seems to be going well, we are having good conversations and I feel like we are compatible personalities so I guess things will play out in their own time

I'm really new at the dating thing and just glad I met somebody so quick I enjoy being with

So, here's the thing. The girl you're seeing is fully capable of rejecting your advances if you were ever to actually make one. If you try to kiss her (and you really REALLY should by now), and she's not into it (after this many dates, she will be) - she will politely decline in some way, probably non-verbally. I get this impression that you're so concerned you'll offend her by making a move that you are causing more harm than good.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey again DatingEra,
Anyone have any thoughts on Hinge? Kinda curious on trying it out.

Also uh apparently I may have inadvertently shadowbanned myself from Tinder? I temporarily moved to another city recently and figured I clean up my old stale account and start a new one as usual, but apparently that's a bad idea now. So uh is there a sensible workaround for that which isn't stupidly complicated lol.

Not that I'm in a rush to use the app again of course.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018

Shoulda "went to the bathroom", paid your tab, then left her there

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
She just wanted a free meal brotha :/

Hey again DatingEra,
Anyone have any thoughts on Hinge? Kinda curious on trying it out.
Hinge is great but there's a ton of old profiles that people didn't delete (they think deleting the app is enough)

Deleted member 8118

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do any of you know how to dance?

I find this to be nothing but a plus when it comes to getting a date to want to go to a dance club.

I get pretty turned up when I hear music I like in the club and I almost always start doing mix of shuffle and other footwork.

So much fun.

Oct 29, 2017
Long time no see. I just went to a concert with this girl that I've been talking to for a week with and it was well kind of lacking. We both brought along our own group of friends, but due to the way the venue was set up only spent like 15 minutes with her. She asked if I wanted to go to karaoke with her after but becasue none of us were over 21 that did not happen. I plan to ask her out someday this week at school, but I don't even know if I can go anywhere with her for three weeks (busy next weekend and then spring break I'll be gone) Would it be better to ask her out after spring break is my dilema rn.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Long time no see. I just went to a concert with this girl that I've been talking to for a week with and it was well kind of lacking. We both brought along our own group of friends, but due to the way the venue was set up only spent like 15 minutes with her. She asked if I wanted to go to karaoke with her after but becasue none of us were over 21 that did not happen. I plan to ask her out someday this week at school, but I don't even know if I can go anywhere with her for three weeks (busy next weekend and then spring break I'll be gone) Would it be better to ask her out after spring break is my dilema rn.
Just be open with her and tell her you want to see her again but you're going to be busy for a while. Figure out a date that works for both of you.

Oct 25, 2017
China
Ask her out before some other dude does.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I find this to be nothing but a plus when it comes to getting a date to want to go to a dance club.

I get pretty turned up when I hear music I like in the club and I almost always start doing mix of shuffle and other footwork.

So much fun.

I don't know how to dance, but damn do I want to learn

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry

So much fun.

I can slow dance, but I despise dancing to faster music and clubs. I avoid them, because I'm usually the person standing still, and wouldn't have fun either way.