• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 17, 2017
I get it. But again, dating in particular is such a personal experience, that I don't think that there's a good or bad reason to want to date or not date someone, only your reason. Maybe I'm wrong, but judging someone based on who they choose to date or not is not something Id do.
cover2.jpg

I mean, of course it's their reason and it's a racist one. I don't care if it's someone's personal reason to be racist, I absolutely will judge them on that.

I don't get why you're defending racism with such non-specific, vague terms. It's not "judging someone on who they choose to date" or "judging someone for not being attracted to a specific individual"; this is very specifically judging someone for excluding an entire group of people from their dating pool based only on race. It stems from the fact that this person believes all people of this race either look the same or that they all share the same culture/personality or both and that these traits are undesirable in a partner and just a person - again - not based on the individual but the entire race of people.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
So short update with the lady Im seeing, things are much better. We've been seeing each other more often and she has been more active in reaching out to me (while I kept a very low profile, and not initiated any contact with her until she has) and we're doing all kind of things together right now. Sometimes a good talk is needed, but her now having a full-time job and a place to stay at has noticeable changed her behaviour for the better. We'll see where we go from here, but right now Im enjoying my time with her.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
I get it. But again, dating in particular is such a personal experience, that I don't think that there's a good or bad reason to want to date or not date someone, only your reason. Maybe I'm wrong, but judging someone based on who they choose to date or not is not something Id do.
It's called prejudice because it's prematurely judging every single member of a group because of stereotypes. If you decide you are not interested in dating anyone from X group because you think they are all unattractive to you, you are being prejudiced against that group. If that group is a race, guess what, you're racist. Pretty simple. And just because it's dating and what is considered attractive is a personal preference doesn't make racial preferences any less racist

OP
OP
Salamando

Salamando

Oct 25, 2017
Having preferences isn't racist until it is. If your list of preferences cause you to be unwilling to date an entire racial group, you fall somewhere on the racist scale.

Brehs I need some advice with my Tinder profile. Would this be an appropriate place to post some screenshots?
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
Here's a link to the Discord. We do pic critiques frequently enough there, and the nice thing about discord is that you can delete your pics pretty easily once you're done with feedback.

Golden Boy

Dec 12, 2018
Had two wonderful dates with a beautiful girl a few weeks ago. During the last one, I went a little overboard with questions that made her slightly insecure. (She's very modest and reserved, so I wasn't picking up any signals other than that she felt comfortable being around me.) We talked it out during the date and I told her to take some time to think it all through. After a few days, she sent me a text message saying that she had a great time with me, that I was a wonderful and very handsome guy but that she needed to focus on getting her master's degree. She ended the text message with: "I hope to see you again someday. Much love."

Although I replied the next day, I haven't heard from her since (10 days ago). Should I wait until she graduates or was this a nice way of saying "This won't work out, goodbye!"?

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Had two wonderful dates with a beautiful girl a few weeks ago. During the last one, I went a little overboard with questions that made her slightly insecure. (She's very modest and reserved, so I wasn't picking up any signals other than that she felt comfortable being around me.) We talked it out during the date and I told her to take some time to think it all through. After a few days, she sent me a text message saying that she had a great time with me, that I was a wonderful and very handsome guy but that she needed to focus on getting her master's degree. She ended the text message with: "I hope to see you again someday. Much love."

Although I replied the next day, I haven't heard from her since (10 days ago). Should I wait until she graduates or was this a nice way of saying "This won't work out, goodbye!"?
i'd say take it as the latter. if she wants to get in touch with you later on, or you somehow bump into her again at a later point in time, then that's cool, but I'd just move on to the next one.

Golden Boy

Dec 12, 2018
i'd say take it as the latter. if she wants to get in touch with you later on, or you somehow bump into her again at a later point in time, then that's cool, but I'd just move on to the next one.

You're probably right, although her last message was quite long and heartfelt. She even emphasized that she was having a hard time with the situation because I really touched her in several ways. I'll just leave her be for the time being, but something is telling me I might hear from her again. Thanks for replying!

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
You're probably right, although her last message was quite long and heartfelt. She even emphasized that she was having a hard time with the situation because I really touched in several ways. I'll just leave her be for the time being, but something is telling me I might hear from her again. Thanks for replying!
if she really wants to talk to you again she will do it without you needing to prompt her

don't wait around for it though!

Golden Boy

Dec 12, 2018
if she really wants to talk to you again she will do it without you needing to prompt her

Thanks, man! I've got several other girls that I still need to meet but she... she was something special. A very nice balance between charismatic, funny and sensitive. She even changed her profile picture on Facebook to one where she poses with the flowers I gave her on our second date, but that probably means nothing.

Oct 25, 2017
China
Thanks, man! I've got several other girls that I still need to meet but she... she was something special. A very nice balance between charismatic, funny and sensitive. She even changed her profile picture on Facebook to one where she poses with the flowers I gave her on our second date, but that probably means nothing.
It was 2 dates and you've clearly over-invested.

Golden Boy

Dec 12, 2018
It was 2 dates and you've clearly over-invested.

You're totally right, but I've had two girlfriends in the past who didn't mind me over-investing. I've had a three year long relationship with a girl that I basically sent a declaration of love after just one date and that totally worked out. Any advice on how to just chill out while still showing signals of interest?

Oct 25, 2017
China
You're totally right, but I've had two girlfriends in the past who didn't mind me over-investing. I've had a three year long relationship with a girl that I basically sent a declaration of love after just one date and that totally worked out. Any advice on how to just chill out while still showing signals of interest?
If your dating, your level of interest is clearly indicated by going on multiple dates with them. You shouldn't be trying harder on the date, just enjoy your time together.

Sayers

Oct 28, 2017
So, I have a bit of an issue. I've been dating this awesome girl for 4 weeks and it has been amazing. We had future plans and everything was going better than great. Yesterday, her ex boyfriend (and father of her 2 kids) showed up to say that he wanted to fix things with her. She said no, that she was with someone else and he treated her like real shit.

Today, the guy showed up again and they talked. She wasn't very specific but basically she's confused about her feelings and says she needs to clarify them. She wasn't very clear if things were over between us, as she just said she needed to think about this.

I'm scared to fucking shit and I dunno what to do. I've never been into someone as I'm into her. I'm ashamed to confess that I've been crying all night at the possibilty of things being over between us.
Unfortunately, there is really nothing you can do. And in my opinion, this is not a situation you want to stick around for. Until she has decided to end it with him for good, this is always going to be a problem. I would move on.

If you are this upset about possibly losing a girl you've only been seeing for a month, you've gotten way too invested way too fast.

Oct 25, 2017
China
Yesterday, her ex boyfriend (and father of her 2 kids) showed up to say that he wanted to fix things with her.

Sorry bro, this is a really really common thing to happen. Baby daddy coming back into the picture (especially) with two kids has a control over her no matter how much of a shit he was to her. I don't know the answer to the problem. I guess you stick it out as she back and forths until she realises he's not changed or you just bail out.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
So, I have a bit of an issue. I've been dating this awesome girl for 4 weeks and it has been amazing. We had future plans and everything was going better than great. Yesterday, her ex boyfriend (and father of her 2 kids) showed up to say that he wanted to fix things with her. She said no, that she was with someone else and he treated her like real shit.

Today, the guy showed up again and they talked. She wasn't very specific but basically she's confused about her feelings and says she needs to clarify them. She wasn't very clear if things were over between us, as she just said she needed to think about this.

I'm scared to fucking shit and I dunno what to do. I've never been into someone as I'm into her. I'm ashamed to confess that I've been crying all night at the possibilty of things being over between us.
Sounds like she has a manipulative ex who uses verbal abuse to control her. She probably is a great girl, OP, but if she can't get past that after being with you for about a month, then there's a high chance whoever this ex is will keep causing you guys issues. It's tough, but I think you might have to let it go. Idk your whole situation but a girl with two kids ain't the most appealing. Throw in an ex who keeps popping into the picture and you got yourself a nope sandwich.

It'll hurt, but my two cents would be to leave her be for a bit.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018

If it was me , I would just move on , that kind of situation will lead to nothing but disappointment.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California

You're kinda fucked mate. You shouldn't be crying over someone after 4 weeks. She's obviously still not over the baby daddy and he'll definitely keep popping up to reignite her feelings.

Oct 30, 2017

Run, bro.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I thought this was funny, dude wearing a DBZ shirt and the date actually worked out. So maybe wearing your really nerdy interests on your literal sleeves sometimes works out lol. Keep this in mind, SpongeBob bed dude here

Deleted member 13550

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Quick question: Why is Hinge so popular/hyped or whatever word you want to use for it. Maybe succesful is the better word? Anyway i remember people saying stuff like "Hinge stays winning" and i was just curious why it seems to be, uh, a winner i guess? Cant check for myself, app didnt release here yet.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I had this temporary job for a bit more than 2 weeks, and over the last week I found myself getting more & more attracted to one of my co-workers. I wanted to wait til the last day to ask her out to not make things awkward between us or anything, and it seemed like she was interested as well.
So, on the last day we had this staff after-party and then I saw her making out with another co-worker and, I know it's super juvenile and idiotic, but I got kind of upset about it and decided to not ask her out and just left soon after.
Honestly not sure what I wanna do about it, just a little vent I guess? Dunno if I should ask her out now or not. ugh

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I had this temporary job for a bit more than 2 weeks, and over the last week I found myself getting more & more attracted to one of my co-workers. I wanted to wait til the last day to ask her out to not make things awkward between us or anything, and it seemed like she was interested as well.
So, on the last day we had this staff after-party and then I saw her making out with another co-worker and, I know it's super juvenile and idiotic, but I got kind of upset about it and decided to not ask her out and just left soon after.
Honestly not sure what I wanna do about it, just a little vent I guess? Dunno if I should ask her out now or not. ugh
Did you not shoot your shot at the party? If you did, she's not into you like that. If you didn't, you snooze you lose.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Did you not shoot your shot at the party? If you did, she's not into you like that. If you didn't, you snooze you lose.
Yeah I was too slow, definitely a snooze you lose moment.
I always have these kind of issues where I overthink shit and I don't act as fast as I want to. It's super annoying and then I'm just bitter about it

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yeah I was too slow, definitely a snooze you lose moment.
I always have these kind of issues where I overthink shit and I don't act as fast as I want to. It's super annoying and then I'm just bitter about it
Just take it as a case of it wasn't meant to be. Don't bother ruminating about the past too much, you'll just be kicking yourself too much. Focus on what you can do better and implement it next time.

Golden Boy

Dec 12, 2018

She reached out to me again tonight. She re-emphasized that she was simply too busy to meet anyone and really needs her alone time and/or sleep at the moment. (She's finishing up her master's degree in fine arts.) The text message even ended on a happy note! She wouldn't have gone through the trouble of contacting me again after more than a week if she never wanted to see or hear from me again, right?

Oct 25, 2017
China
She reached out to me again tonight. She re-emphasized that she was simply too busy to meet anyone and really needs her alone time and/or sleep at the moment. (She's finishing up her master's degree in fine arts.) The text message even ended on a happy note! She wouldn't have gone through the trouble of contacting me again after more than a week if she never wanted to see or hear from me again, right?
Dude, just move on. For all you know next week should could meet someone that she is not too busy/tired to make time for. You only had two dates with her and fluffed the second one at that.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
I
Quick question: Why is Hinge so popular/hyped or whatever word you want to use for it. Maybe succesful is the better word? Anyway i remember people saying stuff like "Hinge stays winning" and i was just curious why it seems to be, uh, a winner i guess? Cant check for myself, app didnt release here yet.

Basically it's tinder with an information template on what to write and that template sets you up with conversation starters.

As for me. Have been trying to date more just to be social and have a date for Friday but I'm not really that excited about it. Probably need to just stay in the hit the gym stage but I need a distraction and even bad dates are sometimes good stories

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
She's trying to let you down gently.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

You're probably right, although her last message was quite long and heartfelt. She even emphasized that she was having a hard time with the situation because I really touched her in several ways. I'll just leave her be for the time being, but something is telling me I might hear from her again. Thanks for replying!
Oh, you're so naive :P She's trying to let you down gently with a positive so she's not outright rejecting you and breaking your fragile heart. As detailed in the OP, you have to employ the Brad Pitt rule.

If Brad Pitt asked her out for another date, she would drop everything or make sure she scheduled herself to go out. This girl hasn't rescheduled with you on a specific date or time. A master's degree is long, and in all that time she couldn't give you the time of the day. Forget about her unless if she asks you out on a date and move on to another person. This is really for your mental health.

Sayers

Oct 28, 2017
You've been rejected man. Move on.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Just take it as a case of it wasn't meant to be. Don't bother ruminating about the past too much, you'll just be kicking yourself too much. Focus on what you can do better and implement it next time.
Should I move on completely? I thought of asking her out this weekend via text, I mean not much to lose at this point

Jan 11, 2019

Don't listen to these naysayers man! She may be gently rejecting you but to me it really doesn't sound like that....

I would just tell her that you really enjoyed her company too. That she should just take it easy and focus on what's more important for her and that you completely understand. That you would be happy to meet her again but that there's no rush. And that you wish her the best of luck with her degree.

Just be nice and patient, but no need to drop her if you don't want to. Life's a gamble man.

Nov 17, 2017
Don't listen to these naysayers man! She may be gently rejecting you but to me it really doesn't sound like that....

I would just tell her that you really enjoyed her company too. That she should just take it easy and focus on what's more important for her and that you completely understand. That you would be happy to meet her again but that there's no rush. And that you wish her the best of luck with her degree.

Just be nice and patient, but no need to drop her if you don't want to. Life's a gamble man.
I mean, that's exactly what he should say to her but then after that he should drop her. He shouldn't wait around expectantly. If she does get back to him then great but the odds are that she won't. Can't be wasting your time waiting for someone who likely won't be calling you back.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
I have touched on this more on the discord than here but here goes

I've been dating someone for a little over two months now and I'm concerned about the pace of our relationship thus far. We've met each others friends and I brought her to meet my brother and his family for a dinner party the other night and I guess you could say we are getting pretty serious.. But as much as I feel good about things and want to have her this deep in my life sometimes I still feel like I don't know her super well, that I couldn't just call her on a moments notice and have her come over or whatever. We were falling asleep cuddling on her couch last night and still I'm nervous about asking her to just come over and listen to records

I imagine this anxiety will get better over time and that a lot of it is me, but what is the pace for this sort of thing? By pure numbers it feels fast, our progression. When do you know something is right

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Why not? Dating and life isn't about maximising your opportunities or something. No, gotta follow your heart sometimes too. Waiting, at least for a while, and hoping something beautiful might happen is not always a waste of time.
No one is saying he should ignore her if she ever contacts him again, but she's unlikely to, and he should just get on with his own life.
And even if she does contact him again, should he really want to be with someone who's not all in on him?

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just got back from a first date, we went on a trail run then hung out at her office talking for a bit. As usual I have no idea if she liked me, and I'm very awkward at ending the date, but that aside it seemed like it was pretty good vibes and conversation was easy going. She was really pretty too! Hopefully a second date can work out.
Just thought I'd pop in to say that 7 months later I am still with this lady and things are going great :D After my last long term relationship it took me 4 years to find someone I was interested in being serious with again, so hang in there if you're feeling discouraged

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And even if she does contact him again, should he really want to be with someone who's not all in on him?

I'm a big supporter of the "don't waste time on someone who doesn't like you back" philosophy, but I disagree on this point a little. If someone is willing to contact you back after some time and wants to give it another go, as long as you're still interested and they didn't objectively treat you poorly, I'd say give it another shot. Sometimes you need to step back to see what you actually miss and therefore want, you know?

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Why not? Dating and life isn't about maximising your opportunities or something. No, gotta follow your heart sometimes too. Waiting, at least for a while, and hoping something beautiful might happen is not always a waste of time.

I very much see life as maximising your opportunities. You can do that "and" follow your heart. Sometimes those are the same thing.

Broski sitting here waiting for a girl to maybe contact him with some flaky ass nothing words is however a waste of time.

And a Master's degree is not the end all be all of time sinks either. If someone cannot take 1 hour out of their day to go on a date with you, they just aint worth the effort.

If she reaches out to him with an actual date (day, time and location) in mind he should go. Otherwise he needs to just move on.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
I'm a big supporter of the "don't waste time on someone who doesn't like you back" philosophy, but I disagree on this point a little. If someone is willing to contact you back after some time and wants to give it another go, as long as you're still interested and they didn't objectively treat you poorly, I'd say give it another shot. Sometimes you need to step back to see what you actually miss and therefore want, you know?
Of course. But to a point. Guess it depends on how they treated you and why they want to try this time - is it to seek validation, or because you're only the next best option left, or are they genuinely interested in you. Tough to know on the outset, sure, but usually if they are interested in you, you don't need to give them a ton of time to figure it out.

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Hi ERA! :)
So, i'll tell you about this girl i like, so maybe you can give some advice or something.

I've been going to this bar every morning and this incredibly cute girl is working there, she's very kind but very shy and quiet.
I got out of Facebook and i'm usually very shy too, so i didn't know what to do. Luckly my friend knows her name and tells me she's single apparently.
One day i decided to left my card with my phone number under my cup of coffee, something i never did. It was pretty embarassing actually.
She didn't contact me the next days, but i saw her colleague picking it up and thought i fucked it up really badly.
Two weeks later, my colleague tells me we need to create the FB page for our new company and we need to use my account. I thought it was a good time to maybe add her and say hello, maybe asked her for a date. Her FB profile is just like her: very quiet, very private and no personal information which i thought it was very cool.
I added her and said hello the next day, but she just read it aaaand.. that's it.
So there's not really much i can do here, that's a shame cause i really would like to know her.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
So, i'll tell you about this girl i like, so maybe you can give some advice or something.

I've been going to this bar every morning and this incredibly cute girl is working there, she's very kind but very shy and quiet.
I got out of Facebook and i'm usually very shy too, so i didn't know what to do. Luckly my friend knows her name and tells me she's single apparently.
One day i decided to left my card with my phone number under my cup of coffee, something i never did. It was pretty embarassing actually.
She didn't contact me the next days, but i saw her colleague picking it up and thought i fucked it up really badly.
Two weeks later, my colleague tells me we need to create the FB page for our new company and we need to use my account. I thought it was a good time to maybe add her and say hello, maybe asked her for a date. Her FB profile is just like her: very quiet, very private and no personal information which i thought it was very cool.
I added her and said hello the next day, but she just read it aaaand.. that's it.
So there's not really much i can do here, that's a shame cause i really would like to know her.
Probably going to have to be more forward than that dude. If you like her ask her out directly or something, few women are just going to call you based on a card you left under a cup like a tip

Nov 17, 2017
If you want to get somewhere in dating and life, you definitely shouldn't be letting good opportunities pass you by due to focusing on a road with a clear dead end. My late teen years and early twenties in terms of dating was absolutely held back by my mentality of focusing on one girl at a time even when it was a waste of time because she ended up not being into me. One specific girl I realize in retrospect was giving a lot of signs that she liked me and had asked me out to a couple things. I would've liked to go out with her too had I not been fixated on another girl who only saw me as a friend in the end. In fact, there were a few girls I could've at least attempted to ask out in the time span that I was focused on this one girl, hoping something could happen.

I can think of a few girls who I thought I hit it off with but were too "busy" with life and promised to get back to me. One girl in particular, I remember was getting ready to take a test to get into law school. After failing to set up a date a few times she told me she needed to focus on her test which was in a week but after that she would definitely call me back. Well, you can probably guess that she never did. And honestly that's fine because the time that I would've been waiting for her to come back is when I met my girlfriend.

Look at your logic here. If he waits for her, two things can happen:

1. She gets back to him and they continue to date. Yay!
2. She never gets back to him and he spent all the time waiting for nothing.

Now let's say he moves on like everyone here is saying to do. Two things can happen:

1. She gets back to him and they continue to date. Yay!
2. She never gets back to him but he continued to try dating others so it doesn't matter, he's moved on. Yay!

I don't see any benefit to your idea whatsoever. Him moving on but leaving her open to contact him is literally the best of both worlds.

I generally don't ask out people with service jobs at their place of work. It's their job to be nice to you and so you can very easily think they are flirting with you when in fact, they're just being a good employee. Asking them out can also potentially make them very uncomfortable because they can't avoid you while they're working, especially if you're a regular like you say.

I know some people who have asked out bartenders, baristas, waiters, clerks, etc. at their place of work and it has worked out but it really needs to be a far more certain thing. Like if you two interact and talk a lot at the bar, if there's very clear flirting and you're hitting it off then, sure, ask her out. But you don't even know her name? What's the basis of your relationship besides the fact that you think she's cute and she's nice? From her perspective, what do you think she thinks of you? If you never asked her name, how do you think she feels about you finding her on Facebook anyway? You really gotta be considerate of her feelings in this situation.

Anyway, at the end of all of this if you still think you want to ask her out. Then just do it. Adding people on social media or leaving business cards under cups of coffee are very passive ways of showing interest in someone. If you want her to take some initiative in response to your softballs, you're gonna be waiting a long time. Probably forever. If you want to ask her out, ask her out. Directly. Just do it on Facebook since you have that. Better than doing it at her place of work where she can't go anywhere. But really you should consider all the above.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And a Master's degree is not the end all be all of time sinks either. If someone cannot take 1 hour out of their day to go on a date with you, they just aint worth the effort.

I agree with this statement.

My girlfriend was a medical student when I met her and was studying for her most difficult board exams. She still made time to get to know me and has made time to talk to me every day, even after a 20 hour shift in the emergency department of a busy hospital. Even if she studies at my place while I quietly cook us dinner or am doing my thing on the computer, she makes time to spend time with me however possible. Even if she gets home at 3am, she texts me to see if I'm awake and if so, we'll Facetime for a few moments because we both consider the other person to be important.

The point is, when someone wants to be with you, even if they are hustling for good grades or to start their career, they will make you compatible with their hectic life even in just simple ways. Even if the conversation is short or nonexistent at times (i.e. you read a book while she reads her textbook on the couch next to you) she will make you compatible with her life if she wants to. Just as you would do for someone you thought was incredible and worth it.

If she doesn't make that level of effort, despite even thinking you're a great guy or whatever, then she's really not good enough for you. You want someone who goes the extra mile and who inspires the same in you.

And if you think that's rare, well... yea that's the point. Hold out for the right one.