• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
When I say I'n average looking that's not really me being down on myself, just honest. I'm into photography and know how to take a decent photo of myself. But I also don't want to use a picture that's too far from reality. For instance, I'm a guy that's lost my hair in my 20's which is something you can hid in a photo, but that doesn't feel right because I don't want the first thing a date feels when they see me to be disappointment, if you know what I mean.

The reason I'm nervous about dating is because I'm under confident and I know that's the most important thing. I'm actually really happy with myself as a person but I'm very awkward and shy when it comes to meeting new people. I figure he best thing is just to be go in with zero expectation and try to be myself
Plenty of guys lose their hair early on but there are always styles for that. There are people with receding hairlines in their early 20s and they still find dating success on apps because of other positive features. I don't have much hair but I never let a factor I don't have much control over dictate my dating life :)

Feb 16, 2018
When I say I'n average looking that's not really me being down on myself, just honest. I'm into photography and know how to take a decent photo of myself. But I also don't want to use a picture that's too far from reality. For instance, I'm a guy that's lost my hair in my 20's which is something you can hid in a photo, but that doesn't feel right because I don't want the first thing a date feels when they see me to be disappointment, if you know what I mean.

The reason I'm nervous about dating is because I'm under confident and I know that's the most important thing. I'm actually really happy with myself as a person but I'm very awkward and shy when it comes to meeting new people. I figure he best thing is just to be go in with zero expectation and try to be myself
I'm 27 and have recently started shaving my head back in April, going bald sucks and is tough when it comes to dating but its not the end of the world. I feel more confident with my shaved head then with my thin hair and receding hairline. Its also forced me to up my style game and work out more to make up for my lack of hair. I was very awkward and shy when it came to meeting new people, especially on dates but the more I did it the easier it became. My advice is make goals that will help fight your insecurities like working out or eating better to get in better shape, or force yourself to talk to new people to make meeting new people less awkward. Also use your photo skills to your advantage, having good photos on these apps helps a lot. I had to get rid of all my old profile pics since I shaved my head so I'm in the process of rebuilding my dating pic portfolio.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
i'm new to this site and just found this thread, and i needed to vent a little. i just broke up with my partner of the last 7 years. we're on good terms, but she wanted to end the relationship, and i didn't as i wanted to try going to couples counseling first before we make the final decision on continuing or not. I understand why she wanted to end it, as our relationship had become unhealthy and toxic, and 2 weeks ago we decided to take a break to think about if we wanted to continue.

she was my first and only partner, and this is my first experience with true heartbreak. when i think about it honestly, this might really be for the best for both of us, as we can grow and discover ourselves more. when we moved in together two years ago, we were both in really bad places mentally, and i ended up suffering from verbal abuse and she ended up suffering from me being closed off mentally due to that abuse i received. likewise, i became really insensitive to her struggles, and frequently crossed sexual boundaries with her. these hard feelings ended up not being resolved until our talk today, where we were able to forgive each other for what has happened in the past. i'm glad that we were both able to forgive each other for the past and not leave the relationship with hard feelings in that regard.

but this whole thing is really scary. this is coming at a time where i'm experiencing a lot of loss as i recently left my job due to the stress it caused me, and i'm about to graduate and no longer be a graduate student, so it feels like i'm losing a bit of my identity in that way. I've been working with a counselor through my school the past three months, but as I am about to graduate I had my last session with her last week, before the break up.

I know that time heals all, and that this long-term may be for the best. i'm doing my best to engage in healthy coping activities, but it's really tough.
Speaking from experiences (one marriage, many relationships), you tend to take what you've learned from each relationship and apply it to the next one, ideally growing with each one. Speaking for myself, pretty much every relationship has been better than the previous - although each one took longer/was harder to find than the previous; partly due to me being older, but also knowing better what I want and what someone can provide, and if they're receptive to what I can provide - meaning I was getting pickier, but in a healthy way, as it was emotional stuff that became deal breakers, rather than surface stuff.
Just don't jump into anything too soon - after 7 years, I think you need at least one year, if not two, to get in the right head-space to properly date again. I mean, you can date, in order to better move on, but you shouldn't jump into a committed relationship for a while still.

Skagulis

Oct 27, 2017
I told my friend I had feelings for her and she told me she just sees me as a friend. We're still friends right now but I asked her a week after I told her I had feelings for her if there was a specific reason why she wasn't interested in being more than friends. I asked if I just wasn't her type.

I asked this through a text message and this is how she replied, "yeah i guess type wise like idk i just see u as my friend u know". I've known her for around 2 months at this point and I know recently she had a crush on somebody else and was always super nervous whenever she planned on telling her crush she liked them(she always bailed in the end, but eventually talked with the person and got rejected).

She constantly said she was over it. Turns out she's not because I kind of pressed her for a different answer other than "I just see you as my friend" and she finally said "yeah i mean i guess im still just tryna get over this one person u know".

So, my thought process is this means that I technically still have a chance??? Idk, it's been several years since I've even attempted to get into a relationship with someone, so I could've been misreading all the signs she's been giving me.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
I told my friend I had feelings for her and she told me she just sees me as a friend. We're still friends right now but I asked her a week after I told her I had feelings for her if there was a specific reason why she wasn't interested in being more than friends. I asked if I just wasn't her type.

I asked this through a text message and this is how she replied, "yeah i guess type wise like idk i just see u as my friend u know". I've known her for around 2 months at this point and I know recently she had a crush on somebody else and was always super nervous whenever she planned on telling her crush she liked them(she always bailed in the end, but eventually talked with the person and got rejected).

She constantly said she was over it. Turns out she's not because I kind of pressed her for a different answer other than "I just see you as my friend" and she finally said "yeah i mean i guess im still just tryna get over this one person u know".

So, my thought process is this means that I technically still have a chance??? Idk, it's been several years since I've even attempted to get into a relationship with someone, so I could've been misreading all the signs she's been giving me.
No

move on

You pushed her for a deeper answer. She told you she just sees you as a friend. You don't need any more information than that.

OP
OP
Salamando

Salamando

Oct 25, 2017

No, you don't technically have a chance. Yes, you have been misreading the signs she's given you. The most blatant one is the "No" she gave you when you asked her out.

You asked her (twice!) why she didn't want to date you...that was a massive mistake. People don't need a reason to not want to date someone. Sometimes they just don't want to, and that's perfectly valid.

Skagulis

Oct 27, 2017
No

move on

You pushed her for a deeper answer. She told you she just sees you as a friend. You don't need any more information than that.
No, you don't technically have a chance. Yes, you have been misreading the signs she's given you. The most blatant one is the "No" she gave you when you asked her out.

You asked her (twice!) why she didn't want to date you...that was a massive mistake. People don't need a reason to not want to date someone. Sometimes they just don't want to, and that's perfectly valid.

I understand, and at first I wasn't gonna ask for a better answer, but I read somewhere that it isn't wrong to ask for a specific reason. Guess that was a mistake, but what if I didn't?

Well fuck, this took me nearly 10 years to actually confess my feelings to someone I ended up liking and this happens. The only good thing out of this is that I learned from my mistakes.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Im starting to get nervous
And I'm overthinking

But what the fuck are the rules now

I just don't know what to do around women anymore. I haven't flirted with anyone that wasn't my ex girlfriend in more than 2 years.

What are the do's and donts of a first time tinder meet up?

Context, I matched this girl a couple months back, we talked a lot, moved the convo to IG, and we talk every once in a while. I haven't been able to come meet her cause I was halfway across the world, but I'll finally be in that city, which I'm ultimately moving to in a couple months, this week.

I've never had a one night stand with someone I just met, so I don't know how to do that lol. I don't think I'd even be comfortable doing that lol
So I'm not really "trying to get her back into my hotel room"

Idk
Help
Lol

OP
OP
Salamando

Salamando

Oct 25, 2017
I understand, and at first I wasn't gonna ask for a better answer, but I read somewhere that it isn't wrong to ask for a specific reason. Guess that was a mistake, but what if I didn't?

Well fuck, this took me nearly 10 years to actually confess my feelings to someone I ended up liking and this happens. The only good thing out of this is that I learned from my mistakes.
Every girl in existence has a story about a guy who took rejection VERY poorly. Asking for a specific reason will most likely result in a comforting lie. There's no way to predict which men can accept the truth, or who'll turn into a raving fuckwit who makes them fear for their life.

You've made progress in dating though! Asking someone out isn't the easiest when you're just starting out. Your best way forward now is to redirect your romantic energy towards someone else, and asking them out.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Im starting to get nervous
And I'm overthinking

But what the fuck are the rules now

I just don't know what to do around women anymore. I haven't flirted with anyone that wasn't my ex girlfriend in more than 2 years.

What are the do's and donts of a first time tinder meet up?

Context, I matched this girl a couple months back, we talked a lot, moved the convo to IG, and we talk every once in a while. I haven't been able to come meet her cause I was halfway across the world, but I'll finally be in that city, which I'm ultimately moving to in a couple months, this week.

I've never had a one night stand with someone I just met, so I don't know how to do that lol. I don't think I'd even be comfortable doing that lol
So I'm not really "trying to get her back into my hotel room"

Idk
Help
Lol
Have you asked her what she's on tinder for?
That's what I usually ask early on when I first meet them now, just to get a feel for the limits of the relationship.
Just so you know, women don't put "Im only looking for sex" on their profiles unless they are a bot lol they'll put "im just looking for friends or someone to date."
This could also mean they're just looking for hook ups but obviously no woman wants to put that just in case their co worker or family member sees them on Tinder haha

Just be respectful and most of all be yourself. Most girls I've dated respond very well to you just cracking jokes and become calm and responsiveness.
You got this man

Field

Oct 29, 2017
Anyone cool here willing to privately judge/give suggestions on my set of pictures I use for online dating? Guy or a girl don't matter

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
my sister is trying to set me up on a date with her friend lol

not sure how i feel about that. apparently she's 10 years older (which is fine, i had a brief thing with someone much older than that before) but according to my sister, apparently this girl already tried looking me up online and figured out my age and where i live lol

not sure how i feel about that

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
my sister is trying to set me up on a date with her friend lol

not sure how i feel about that. apparently she's 10 years older (which is fine, i had a brief thing with someone much older than that before) but according to my sister, apparently this girl already tried looking me up online and figured out my age and where i live lol

not sure how i feel about that
It's nothing. Don't worry about it, they all do it. They kinda have to, as women (rightfully) have more to fear from men than men do from women, so a little online sleuthing goes a long ways to calm any initial trepidation they may have.

omgkitty

Oct 25, 2017
Nashville
After screwing around with Bumble for a few weeks getting nowhere, I decided to hop on OKCupid. Haven't been on there in probably 5 years and didn't realize they turned it into all the other apps. Kinda hate it, but I did match with someone. I sent her an initial message when I liked her profile, and she liked back but hasn't responded to the message yet, which was a question. What do you think is a good amount of time to wait for a reply before possibly messaging again unprompted?

Oct 27, 2017
After screwing around with Bumble for a few weeks getting nowhere, I decided to hop on OKCupid. Haven't been on there in probably 5 years and didn't realize they turned it into all the other apps. Kinda hate it, but I did match with someone. I sent her an initial message when I liked her profile, and she liked back but hasn't responded to the message yet, which was a question. What do you think is a good amount of time to wait for a reply before possibly messaging again unprompted?

Infinity. They don't owe you a response. And even if that sounds rude, it's the nature of these apps.

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
Bumble is a long game, takes a while. Try Hinge instead(too)

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
What's the longest you've gone before the first kiss? Like how many hang outs/dates?
Probably did 20+ when I was 18 and nothing happened despite my, and her apparent interest.

More recently I had several hangouts in the span of a month and half, like 7 and nothing happened. Though that was also me not being sure if I wanted anything or what.

With someone that I had actually something with, max 3 times since meeting.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
What's the longest you've gone before the first kiss? Like how many hang outs/dates?
I usually kiss on the 2nd date. I must admit, I do try to on the first but I am not afraid to admit I seem to fail every time lol I totally understand though. Even if there is good chemistry, who knows what will happen after the day is up, we may never see each other again so why should she kiss every dude on the first date.
Second date proves you're interested and you want to take things further and that's when I make my move

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So far, OK Cupid feels like some whacky culmination of every single modern dating app I've used before. Like, not even in a pre-cursor way -- it's basically a riff-off catch all. These personality questions are also hilariously wild and I've ended up skipping a lot of them and the matching percentages are a little suspect.

As for Hinge, it's been hit-but-mostly-miss with my experience. Matches are few, conversations aren't lasting long, and the only relatively in-depth one I've had so far was someone who did not tell me they'd been taking care of several children they've had since their teens.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017
It's nothing. Don't worry about it, they all do it. They kinda have to, as women (rightfully) have more to fear from men than men do from women, so a little online sleuthing goes a long ways to calm any initial trepidation they may have.
I don't know. If it was a random tinder match and they were just trying to assure themselves they weren't about to meet up with their murderer, it's fine. But it's her friend who is setting her up with her brother. That seems a little weird to me and I'd worry slightly if she was a bit too eager so to speak.

Dennie Dee

Oct 26, 2017
Bruges, Belgium
At work so don't wish to type a book.

I have a GF ATM, 25, she's great and sweet. I'm 32. Attracted to another woman who's obviously interested. I don't see that woman very often, but I just can't get her out of my head. Saw her last 3 weeks ago.

Relationship with my GF is pretty weird to other people. I don't want kids, I don't want to live together and she's fine with that (for now). My biggest gripes in my relationship right now are that my GF lives with her head in the clouds, is very impulsive and makes terrible decisions. The longer our relationship lasts, the more stupid shit she pulls and I'm starting to lose my head over it. The way she views people, the world, etc... also differs strongly from how I see things. Sexually, it's not great. She has childhood trauma of the sexual sort which can be an impediment when it comes down to it. We've talked about these issues at length, but I can't change who she is.

Am I looking for an excuse? What do other people do in situations like this?

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018

I have a GF ATM, 25, she's great and sweet. I'm 32. Attracted to another woman who's obviously interested. I don't see that woman very often, but I just can't get her out of my head. Saw her last 3 weeks ago.

Relationship with my GF is pretty weird to other people. I don't want kids, I don't want to live together and she's fine with that (for now). My biggest gripes in my relationship right now are that my GF lives with her head in the clouds, is very impulsive and makes terrible decisions. The longer our relationship lasts, the more stupid shit she pulls and I'm starting to lose my head over it. The way she views people, the world, etc... also differs strongly from how I see things. Sexually, it's not great. She has childhood trauma of the sexual sort which can be an impediment when it comes down to it. We've talked about these issues at length, but I can't change who she is.

Do you even want to be dating your current GF or are you just dating out of habit? It sounds like you wish your GF was a different person and that you aren't compatible. You should probably break up.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California

This relationship is definitely going to last 👌🏻

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018

sounds like you are wasting your current GF's time.

Razirel

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't posted here before, but I need to vent a little. Been seeing this girl for a couple of days and I think she already sees me as her girlfriend. Some things she's been saying kinda makes it seem like she broke up with her boyfriend for me and also told her parents, but other times she talks about her friend who did the same? I'm the first girl she's been attracted to, so this is all pretty new to her. It also seems like she has a pretty different view on what dating is like, and doesn't really have much experience with more casual relationships. We've been hanging out almost daily since we live pretty close, but only for a couple of hours every night. Hardly know her so I kinda need to figure out a way to cool things off a bit without hurting her feelings :I

idk this whole thing just kinda started as a drunken encounter through a common friend and I feel I may have made a mistake pursuing this

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka

Reading this makes me sad, but it is what it is. You should be honest with your girlfriend before you cheat on her

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston

Sounds like you're already checked out. Do her a favor and break up with her

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Haven't posted here before, but I need to vent a little. Been seeing this girl for a couple of days and I think she already sees me as her girlfriend. Some things she's been saying kinda makes it seem like she broke up with her boyfriend for me and also told her parents, but other times she talks about her friend who did the same? I'm the first girl she's been attracted to, so this is all pretty new to her. It also seems like she has a pretty different view on what dating is like, and doesn't really have much experience with more casual relationships. We've been hanging out almost daily since we live pretty close, but only for a couple of hours every night. Hardly know her so I kinda need to figure out a way to cool things off a bit without hurting her feelings :I

idk this whole thing just kinda started as a drunken encounter through a common friend and I feel I may have made a mistake pursuing this
She's more into you than you are into her and you're trying to let her down, right?

Razirel

Oct 25, 2017
She's more into you than you are into her and you're trying to let her down, right?
Pretty much yeah. This is the first time I'm seeing a girl without being all that crazy about her, so I'm not really sure how this goes. She's still fun to hang out with, but I don't want to give her the impression this is going to go much further than it already has

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Pretty much yeah. This is the first time I'm seeing a girl without being all that crazy about her, so I'm not really sure how this goes. She's still fun to hang out with, but I don't want to give her the impression this is going to go much further than it already has
What's your next move, to let her know that this is just going to be a casual thing and go on another date or to break it off? Sounds like she's exploring her sexuality and has overinvested to the point of telling her relatives, so it's growing pains for her and you'll need to be gentle if you do have to break it off.

Razirel

Oct 25, 2017
What's your next move, to let her know that this is just going to be a casual thing and go on another date or to break it off? Sounds like she's exploring her sexuality and has overinvested to the point of telling her relatives, so it's growing pains for her and you'll need to be gentle if you do have to break it off.
I mean ideally it would be nice if we could continue casually, but the signs kinda point to casual not really being an option? Already have a date with her tonight so I'm gonna talk to her about it then, but it sounds like the smart thing would be to de-escalate this in a gentle way.

There is also the factor that she's on exchange, and the dating scene is quite a lot different here in Denmark than what she's used to it seems. We already had a talk about what dating is like here, which seemed to slow things down a bit but she looked upset to hear that I didn't see her as my girlfriend

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's a bit frustrating Tinder tell you like to someone (yesterday it was one, but now it tells three) I feel it's just a bluff to push me to subscribe to Tinder Gold lmao

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
Is it common to just get a bunch of one word answers in messages on dating sites. I'm kind of confused if I'm doing something wrong, all I seem to get back is one sentence or one word answers, they don't seem to want to know anything about me. I don't know, do I just not understand how to have conversations online anymore. Do I just keep asking them questions and then see if they want to meet up. But then when it goes like that in the online conversations it doesn't make me want to meet up because they conversation's will probably be like that in real life too.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Is it common to just get a bunch of one word answers in messages on dating sites. I'm kind of confused if I'm doing something wrong, all I seem to get back is one sentence or one word answers, they don't seem to want to know anything about me. I don't know, do I just not understand how to have conversations online anymore. Do I just keep asking them questions and then see if they want to meet up. But then when it goes like that in the online conversations it doesn't make me want to meet up because they conversation's will probably be like that in real life too.
it is common. i would not associate it with how the person acts in real life though.
i suggest setting up the date. online conversations are a waste of time. body language is 80% of most worthwhile communication.
most people online have been through the small talk more times than you can count. it's boring and repetitive. get to the meat and potatoes.
if they keep on putting off meeting in person, move on

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
I wouldn't worry about that. I've gotten one word answers in texts from women I've been in serious relationships with. Thankfully they're far more expressive in person - so that's what you should focus on. Think of texting as just logistics to get to see each other in person: "see you there at 6" "OK", and so on.

Sayers

Oct 28, 2017
Don't spend a lot of time chatting online. Ask them out.

Dennie Dee

Oct 26, 2017
Bruges, Belgium
Do you even want to be dating your current GF or are you just dating out of habit? It sounds like you wish your GF was a different person and that you aren't compatible. You should probably break up.
This relationship is definitely going to last 👌🏻
sounds like you are wasting your current GF's time.
Reading this makes me sad, but it is what it is. You should be honest with your girlfriend before you cheat on her
Sounds like you're already checked out. Do her a favor and break up with her

Ok, thanks. Sometimes, you need to hear it from someone else...

Not going to cheat on her though. Not going to see that other woman until I randomly bump into her again one day.

I don't date often and have little experience when it comes to stuff like this. I'm also extremely oblivious. So no, it's definitely not out of habit. I don't want her to be a different person at all, but it does seem that we're not very compatible.

MegaBeefBowl

Oct 31, 2017
Left a long term relationship in early December last year. We made it just under 7 years. I'm an asshole and I wasted her time that last 8 months. We grew apart as her career took more of her time and my depression got worse. I stopped telling her things, I dreaded seeing her, I didn't tell her about a suicide attempt. NOT GOOD STUFF.

It was a really hard breakup but I landed myself into another relationship really quickly very randomly. I was scared it was too early so I pumped the breaks hard and focused on myself. Breaking up with the ex was paired with me starting therapy for the first time in my life. I blamed myself for the relationship falling apart because it just felt easy to blame depression. Therapy was super awesome. Its opened my eyes to the realities of that relationship and all of the toxic, awful red flags that we both weren't able to recognize. It just wasn't a healthy fit. It didn't help that everyone on the outside insisted we were "goals" and that we had to get married. Eventually you stick around due to peer pressure, you know?

So I reached back out to that girl, and fast forward to now, and I'm feeling like I'm making real progress on myself. Its been a handful months and stuff is just clicking. She's a wonderful person. She is making sure I stay on track with therapy, being super accommodating, and I am thrilled to be around her when I get the chance. She's hilarious, our values match up, she's interesting to talk to, and cool as fuck. Things I honestly never felt in the past (Yikes. What was I fucking doing??)

I don't mean this to just brag. I do have a question. Over 7 years I found every reason to not live with my ex (I fucking know. How did we let so much time get wasted...), but here I'm almost itching to make it happen. Anyone living with their partner, how long before you brought up the concept? I'm super cautious because I know that honeymoon periods exist. What's a realistic time frame? Before a year? After a year?

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Ok, thanks. Sometimes, you need to hear it from someone else...

Not going to cheat on her though. Not going to see that other woman until I randomly bump into her again one day.

I don't date often and have little experience when it comes to stuff like this. I'm also extremely oblivious. So no, it's definitely not out of habit. I don't want her to be a different person at all, but it does seem that we're not very compatible.
Why don't you want to break up with someone who's incompatible with you? You deserve compatibility. It's not like you're married or have kids, should be easier to break it off. Unless you're afraid you won't be able to find someone else but then you've got this other woman you're more into than your current girlfriend, so that's not it.

Dennie Dee

Oct 26, 2017
Bruges, Belgium
Because I've always had and still have a really hard time when I know I have to hurt someone. Combine that with me usually setting my self-interest aside for someone else. Both the result of childhood trauma and conditioning. Been working on it for over 5 years now and it's gotten a lot better, but it's not quite there yet. As you can tell...

My GF is blindly into me. It doesn't really matter what I do, she'll just accept it and will never second guess it. (Now don't conclude I'm being a dick to her. I'm not.) Makes it even harder for me to break up because I'm going to destroy her emotionally. Even though I'm quite convinced she realizes deep down we're not compatible, she just doesn't want to see that painful truth. Which, incidentally is a character trait she's got that has caused her a significant amount of problems and pain in her life. That can also drive me nuts.

I'm also afraid that I'm keeping her "head in the clouds/unwillingness to face reality" behaviour in check. And without me around I'm worried she'll end up in a bad place due to this behaviour.

As you can tell, I do really care about her, and I want her to be happy. Which makes me doubt myself, which is an extra factor to take into consideration.

And I know, if I truly care about her I should break up because I know that is the best thing for her.

Let me just gather all my courage first...

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mean this to just brag. I do have a question. Over 7 years I found every reason to not live with my ex (I fucking know. How did we let so much time get wasted...), but here I'm almost itching to make it happen. Anyone living with their partner, how long before you brought up the concept? I'm super cautious because I know that honeymoon periods exist. What's a realistic time frame? Before a year? After a year?

Don't live with my partner, but I'd wait at least a year. I found it took like 8-9 months before the honeymoon period kinda wore off and we started running into issues that kinda got glossed over at the beginning of the relationship. I don't think you really fully know what someone is like in the early part of the relationship, even if you think you do.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Because I've always had and still have a really hard time when I know I have to hurt someone. Combine that with me usually setting my self-interest aside for someone else. Both the result of childhood trauma and conditioning. Been working on it for over 5 years now and it's gotten a lot better, but it's not quite there yet. As you can tell...

My GF is blindly into me. It doesn't really matter what I do, she'll just accept it and will never second guess it. (Now don't conclude I'm being a dick to her. I'm not.) Makes it even harder for me to break up because I'm going to destroy her emotionally. Even though I'm quite convinced she realizes deep down we're not compatible, she just doesn't want to see that painful truth. Which, incidentally is a character trait she's got that has caused her a significant amount of problems and pain in her life. That can also drive me nuts.

I'm also afraid that I'm keeping her "head in the clouds/unwillingness to face reality" behaviour in check. And without me around I'm worried she'll end up in a bad place due to this behaviour.

As you can tell, I do really care about her, and I want her to be happy. Which makes me doubt myself, which is an extra factor to take into consideration.

And I know, if I truly care about her I should break up because I know that is the best thing for her.

Let me just gather all my courage first...

There is so much toxicity in this post i don't even know where to begin.

1. By stringing someone along you are hurting them. You are currently hurting/leaching off your GF that you don't love to feed your ego
2. You're just a guy, not Thanos. You won't destroy her. sure it will hurt but thats normal and she will be better for the experience
3. Yes, some people don't want to be the one to end things. don't judge her for an issue you also seem to be having. Step up and do the right thing for both of you
4.Get over yourself. you aren't her savior. you are just a guy that is currently lying to her. If she naturally makes "bad" choices they are hers to make. sounds like you are being more obsessive/controlling then loving.
5. You aren't the only thing that can make her happy. If its come to the point where that is true its another piece of evidence that this situation is toxic and you need to give her more space... possibly infinite space

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Any tips for moving in with a partner? What are some things to look out for?

We just moved in together and it's my first live in lady.

Last edited: