• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
How did you all move on from break ups?
Looking for actual advice here, having a hard time after an 11 month relationship ending with my best friend.,

Jokab

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Looking for actual advice here, having a hard time after an 11 month relationship ending with my best friend.,
If you're really committed then the best way is to remove anything in your life that reminds you of your ex. Delete (or at the very least unfollow) on all social media, delete pictures, get rid of small gifts that aren't useful to you. If she gave you tons of clothes then I'm not saying you gotta throw them all away, but be aware that if you're constantly being reminded of your ex it's gonna be a lot more difficult. Don't fall for the temptation of going of going looking for old pictures of you two, how happy you were etc. It's not gonna help. The less you think of him/her the better, and eventually you'll reach a stage where you haven't thought of your ex in a few days, or even a week.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
If you're really committed then the best way is to remove anything in your life that reminds you of your ex. Delete (or at the very least unfollow) on all social media, delete pictures, get rid of small gifts that aren't useful to you. If she gave you tons of clothes then I'm not saying you gotta throw them all away, but be aware that if you're constantly being reminded of your ex it's gonna be a lot more difficult. Don't fall for the temptation of going of going looking for old pictures of you two, how happy you were etc. It's not gonna help. The less you think of him/her the better, and eventually you'll reach a stage where you haven't thought of your ex in a few days, or even a week.

I've already:

• gotten rid of any clothing handed to me
  • gotten rid of her on social media
  • gotten rid of any gifts
I'm working on the photo part, which is the hardest one for me of all. I would delete everything on my instagram but there's so many photos of us and I can't fully emotionally do it right now, so I just deleted the app, overall.

Jokab

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've already:

I'm working on the photo part, which is the hardest one for me of all. I would delete everything on my instagram but there's so many photos of us and I can't fully emotionally do it right now, so I just deleted the app, overall.
That's a good start. Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with saving photos, as long as you realize it's going to make things harder. After all, it's a part of the life you've led.

Other than what you've done already it's mostly gonna be time and keeping your mind occupied. Dating casually might be fun depending on what kind of person you are.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
That's a good start. Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with saving photos, as long as you realize it's going to make things harder. After all, it's a part of the life you've led.

Other than what you've done already it's mostly gonna be time and keeping your mind occupied. Dating casually might be fun depending on what kind of person you are.

I'm not emotionally ready to date, at all right now. I lost my best friend who I was in love with for over a year, and the way it all ended was absolutely devastating. The last thing I want to do at this point in time is even think about another woman. I'm 21, by the way, she was my first love so to add the whole: best friend + 1 year + first love + devastating ending = one massive dark place it put me in. I did everything I could to end it in at least an okay matter, she left me and wanted nothing to do with me anymore. She fell out of love with me. Hearing that was one of the hardest things I had to be told in my entire life.

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spoke to this girl on tinder and she asked me to come over that same day. We had fun for a few hours and as I was getting dressed ready to leave she asked me if i wanted to stay for a while. We end up cuddling and talking about some real deep personal stuff. We didn't text after that night and I didn't want to text her because I knew this was just sex but I went ahead because I didn't want to keep thinking what if.

She didn't reply back which was fine because I expected it. This all happened a couple of weeks ago, what sucks is that ever since that night I can't get her off my mind. I met different girls and have plans to meet a girl later tonight but everything just feels...blah. I want to text her again but I know it'll probably end with the same outcome. Feelings suck.

I hate to tell you this, but you'd have had an invite back if you hadnt done all the personal talk stuff.

WorldofMiku

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spoke to this girl on tinder and she asked me to come over that same day. We had fun for a few hours and as I was getting dressed ready to leave she asked me if i wanted to stay for a while. We end up cuddling and talking about some real deep personal stuff. We didn't text after that night and I didn't want to text her because I knew this was just sex but I went ahead because I didn't want to keep thinking what if.

She didn't reply back which was fine because I expected it. This all happened a couple of weeks ago, what sucks is that ever since that night I can't get her off my mind. I met different girls and have plans to meet a girl later tonight but everything just feels...blah. I want to text her again but I know it'll probably end with the same outcome. Feelings suck.
Send her one more message, but be aware that she probably had second thoughts after doing the personal talk stuff. You may have said something that could be a turnoff. Hence why she didn't reply back.

A woman that is interested in you, would want to respond to you ASAP and you'll just know she's interested in you through your gut feeling.

In all honesty, don't get your high hopes on this girl. If she doesn't respond, move on and don't feel bad about it.

P.S. - It's actually GOOD you did the personal talk stuff, because it saves time for the both of you. It'll be annoying if you had another date, then she found out about the turnoff.

Nov 17, 2017
As been said, don't get overinvested with one girl or heck, any number of girls. I ask for a date in the first few messages and go from there. If they say they'll get back to me, that's it, the onus is on them and unless they come back with a time, I'm moving on to the next.
That said, it can be tough not getting somewhat invested when "the next" isn't always there. Sometimes you put more effort into making one thing work when you can't seem to get anything else. You're right that you want to put getting back to you on them when they pass up your offer.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Today I had my first date since my breakup. It honestly felt like a waste of everyone's time.

TL;DR - My first date since my breakup was with a workaholic who doesn't do anything outside of work besides go to raves and has no interests or hobbies outside of work.
Yeah, I've dated a couple girls like that. It happens - think of it as eliminating women that you won't want to be with. And people do this for different reasons, but usually due to insecurity - they can never be "in the moment" and are way too anxious about the next thing. You don't want that, and she's gonna be alone for a while.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I've dated a couple girls like that. It happens - think of it as eliminating women that you won't want to be with. And people do this for different reasons, but usually due to insecurity - they can never be "in the moment" and are way too anxious about the next thing. You don't want that, and she's gonna be alone for a while.
That makes sense. And yeah, I don't want that.

gaiages

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I hate to tell you this, but you'd have had an invite back if you hadnt done all the personal talk stuff.

That's not necessarily true... There could be a billion reasons, and yeah that could be one of them, but to say it with such finality isn't really the best idea. If she only wanted a fuck buddy, why was she the one to ask him to stay, anyway?

Blitzrules240

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Oh man, she sent me a snap from a hospital bed. I feel like a huge ass for what I said earlier last night. Damn, she just can't catch a break :(

Nov 17, 2017
Sounds like a nightmare Beren I'm having trouble figuring out exactly why she even wanted to go on a date, like you said.

For me, one of the worst things someone can do on a date is do stuff on their phone in the middle of it. She apologized constantly yet kept doing it; that just makes the sorrys feel insincere. Like not having a ton of time for a first coffee date is fine, those usually are like an hour long unless you really hit it off. The timeframe was communicated so that's fine but she should have had her shit together so she wasn't constantly texting while you were trying to talk to her.

I guess the good thing about bad dates like that is that the person gave you a clear impression so it's easier for you to write it off and move on.

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ummm, why exactly?
Every person is unique, you can't say that like it's a fact.

No but you can speculate based on human psychology and experience. The OP gave too much of himself too soon, and shot himself in the foot getting too attached. Not a crime, but the usual result is no call back.

Oh man, she sent me a snap from a hospital bed. I feel like a huge ass for what I said earlier last night. Damn, she just can't catch a break :(

CAD?

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's a really weird assumption to make.

And CAD?

Thats fine, you dont need to accept my opinion on it. I dont think its wise to spend 3 hours setting the world to rights after a tinder hookup, you've immediately changed your own status from "I can call this person for sex" to "this person will cry in my arms for hours afterwards". It reduces your stock.

CAD = hospital bed etc.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thats fine, you dont need to accept my opinion on it. I dont think its wise to spend 3 hours setting the world to rights after a tinder hookup, you've immediately changed your own status from "I can call this person for sex" to "this person will cry in my arms for hours afterwards". It reduces your stock.

CAD = hospital bed etc.

Or maybe it was an equal thing that she also opened up and talked deeply as well? You make it sound like the poster just started bawling and told her his life story.

Also what does that have to do with anything???

gaiages

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I've never heard CAD used for anything involving hospitals before, am I just out of the loop on medical lingo? I'm so confused right now

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Or maybe it was an equal thing that she also opened up and talked deeply as well? You make it sound like the poster just started bawling and told her his life story.

Also what does that have to do with anything???

Why are you so upset by my opinion. I dont think its smart to stay for ages after tinder hookups. Yes she opened up, and she also now considers him as someone she cant just snuggle with, she knows he will want more. He's shot himself in the foot. If you dont get the CAD reference then no problem.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why are you so upset by my opinion. I dont think its smart to stay for ages after tinder hookups. Yes she opened up, and she also now considers him as someone she cant just snuggle with, she knows he will want more. He's shot himself in the foot. If you dont get the CAD reference then no problem.

If you're talking about the CAD miscarriage comic, then sure I get the reference. But I don't understand what that has to do with anything here.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017

CAD = hospital bed etc.
Nowhere in his post did he say he was crying. All he said was they had a deep talk. Hell, for all we know she might be the one to initiate the talk and let all her emotions out, no need to put the "blame" on him because of a mere assumption.
She may have felt lonely and wanted someone to talk to, I'd probably do the same because I'm capable of empathy and not just "nope we already fucked cya"

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nowhere in his post did he say he was crying. All he said was they had a deep talk. Hell, for all we know she might be the one to initiate the talk and let all her emotions out, no need to put the "blame" on him because of a mere assumption.

Apparently whether she initiated it or not doesn't matter. His stock/value dropped because he had a deep talk.

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Im not putting any blame on him whatsoever, he is in fact in the right and sounds a good person. Sadly, the upshot of that will often be a rejection. Best off sticking to the shallow hook up.

Blitzrules240

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
wtf happened that I got roped into this. All I said was the girl sent me a snap from her hospital bed and now we're talking about CAD and miscarriages???

Jebus

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
LOL she ghosted OP because she was having a miscarriage! Am I getting the joke right?
tis.gif

wtf happened that I got roped into this. All I said was the girl sent me a snap from her hospital bed and now we're talking about CAD and miscarriages???

Jebus

Yeah I don't know what Angel is on about.
Anyway, has she said anything about why she's in the hospital?

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017
For me, personally, it was just time. We were together for almost two years. I was definitely sad when I thought about it but managed to keep myself occupied and hanging out with my friends more. We broke up on good terms and still talk here and there (wishing happy birthday, happy holidays, how are things going?, that kind of stuff). Obviously, this won't work for everyone but it worked out well for me.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Update from a couple of pages ago:

So I texted her about going out this Saturday for drinks and she said she starts grad school this weekend. I asked her when is she free then and she told me she'd get back to me after finding out how much homework she has.

Ayyyy lmao. The ole I have so much school work I cant find 2 hours to chill routine. Lemme tell you, no one in school is so busy they can't chill. Especially early on starting a graduate program.

I should give her the benefit of the doubt but my skeptic mind is whatever about it. Best thing would to start setting up something with someone else. That way I don't linger on this one chick. I need to get on tinder or something, just been lazy about it tbh.

Yeah dont extend benefit of the doubt. That has to be earned. Get out there and date other people. Dont waste time on this one.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Doing things that will keep your mind occupied helps. Do things you enjoy, go out for walks, hang out with your friends. Basically, Hit the Gym(tm). You'll feel better with time.

Krauser Kat

Oct 27, 2017
i was in a 9 year relationship and was dating within 2 weeks of it ending and within a week of the next 2 year relationship ending. I was def mourning the loss of those while still in them. Jack Sparrowing that ship all the way to shore. It was already dead on arrival.

Put more time into yourself and be more awesome. You will get your mojo back.

Nov 17, 2017
She may have felt lonely and wanted someone to talk to, I'd probably do the same because I'm capable of empathy and not just "nope we already fucked cya"
Yeah, it's also easily possible that she was the one to really open up and surprised herself. It's a pretty common thing for people looking for something casual to start feeling a hint of attachment or a deeper bond from themselves and cut it off because they don't feel ready for that at the time. Ultimately, I think you do whatever you feel is right in a situation like that. I think when it comes to dating and hookup culture, it's ingrained in a lot of our minds that the guys make moves and the girls react to them. One problem with that logic is that anytime something fizzles out in a dating or hookup situation, it's assumed it's the guy who did something to cause it.

Ayyyy lmao. The ole I have so much school work I cant find 2 hours to chill routine. Lemme tell you, no one in school is so busy they can't chill. Especially early on starting a graduate program.
I've gotten this enough that I now know this excuse is actually saying "I don't have time for you specifically." I used to wonder how someone couldn't spare a few hours in a week to see me but then I realized, they can spare that time - they're just sparing it for friends, family or other dates. People have their priorities and you're just low on the list. Nothing wrong with that; I just learned that you have to adjust accordingly with where you place them on your priority list. Ideally I want equal effort from me and the other person when it comes to dating, relationships and friendships. If someone is investing less than me, I'll invest less too.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I've gotten this enough that I now know this excuse is actually saying "I don't have time for you specifically." I used to wonder how someone couldn't spare a few hours in a week to see me but then I realized, they can spare that time - they're just sparing it for friends, family or other dates. People have their priorities and you're just low on the list. Nothing wrong with that; I just learned that you have to adjust accordingly with where you place them on your priority list. Ideally I want equal effort from me and the other person when it comes to dating, relationships and friendships. If someone is investing less than me, I'll invest less too.

Yup. Basically, there is nothing wrong with someone having you low on the priority list. You just have to understand cues that inform that. "I have too much school work" always means you are low priority. As does, lemme check my schedule or any variation of. Because if someone wants to chill, they'll push that idea and work with you to make it work. If they say they will get back to you, 90% of the time they aint gettong back to you.

And personally I prefer the excuse I can read as disinterest than someone really pretending to be pumped but knowing fully well they'll blow you off. That's worse. Its like "just give me some weak ass lie so I know not to schedule shit around you" lmao

Same thing with canceling. Shit happens, no need to get mad about it. But someone who cancels for legit reasons will immediately try to set something up after. They will work with you to get another day in place promptly. Someone who is camceling to get out of it wont take any responsibility for setting up a new day. That's the signal to not waste extra time on that person. Knowing this just makes life easier.

None of this is bad either. If someone doesn't wanna do things with you its better you dont waste your time planning with them. Value your time and spend it with people who are down or spend it on yourself doing stuff you value.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's also easily possible that she was the one to really open up and surprised herself. It's a pretty common thing for people looking for something casual to start feeling a hint of attachment or a deeper bond from themselves and cut it off because they don't feel ready for that at the time. Ultimately, I think you do whatever you feel is right in a situation like that. I think when it comes to dating and hookup culture, it's ingrained in a lot of our minds that the guys make moves and the girls react to them. One problem with that logic is that anytime something fizzles out in a dating or hookup situation, it's assumed it's the guy who did something to cause it.
Yeah, it's a shame that if something happens it's default that it's the man at fault.
Anyway, I can totally relate to this incident. It happened to me already that I grew attached to a girl who I recently met, and although that is something that shouldn't happen since it only leads to disappointment, feelings are mostly not in our control. Sometimes you just find a person who you get this sudden click with and everything is going smoothly and your brain just gives you the illusion that you're really close. It's shitty for both sides, no one needs to blamed.

Blitzrules240

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
HammerFace

Haven't heard from her since I asked what happened this morning, I'm hoping she's resting, probably off her phone till later.

Hope she's alright, looked health related and not injury related based on the pic.

Nov 17, 2017
Yup. Basically, there is nothing wrong with someone having you low on the priority list. You just have to understand cues that inform that. "I have too much school work" always means you are low priority. As does, lemme check my schedule or any variation of. Because if someone wants to chill, they'll push that idea and work with you to make it work. If they say they will get back to you, 90% of the time they aint gettong back to you.

And personally I prefer the excuse I can read as disinterest than someone really pretending to be pumped but knowing fully well they'll blow you off. That's worse. Its like "just give me some weak ass lie so I know not to schedule shit around you" lmao

Same thing with canceling. Shit happens, no need to get mad about it. But someone who cancels for legit reasons will immediately try to set something up after. They will work with you to get another day in place promptly. Someone who is camceling to get out of it wont take any responsibility for setting up a new day. That's the signal to not waste extra time on that person. Knowing this just makes life easier.

None of this is bad either. If someone doesn't wanna do things with you its better you dont waste your time planning with them. Value your time and spend it with people who are down or spend it on yourself doing stuff you value.
I'm dating a girl right now who is sort of like that. Very enthusiastic when we set up a date but she has cancelled or postponed a lot in the last minute. Mainly it's work and her getting called in but a few times she's been like "I've been working long shifts all week and I'm super tired. Sorry, gotta cancel!" I used to get upset about that sort of thing, especially after this one time I got stood up by a different girl but I've learned how to deal with it.

Luckily, I'm dating another girl who I see way more consistently so I make plans to see her and let the first girl reach out to me whenever it happens. It makes it easy to manage my investments but even if I was seeing them separately, treating my level of investment based on theirs should be the same.

Blitzrules240

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I hope its something minor man.

Also what are you looking for? Just hookups or something more?
I'm just trying to get back into dating, hit it off with this girl pretty well but haven't gone out yet and it seems like things just keep going against me.

First she was sick, then I was sick, then we both felt better but she wanted to reschedule and now she's in the hospital and I feel like a dick for thinking she was ignoring me.

Feels bad man.

I'm still swiping on profiles and checking my sites but shit, I feel for her because she's had a rough go so far this year.

Maven

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Earth

It happens. Sometimes it is just what it is. A one night stand or in your case a day stand.

Definitely do not text again and wait to see if she ever writes back. If she does, set up the next encounter quickly.

Blitzrules240

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Damn she had to have an emergency medical infusion and was hooked up to IVs for 3.5 hours.

Glad to hear from her and report to you all she's okay. I'm probably too invested in her well being since we haven't met but it's jusy my good nature.

Maven

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I've already:

I'd keep the gifts if they're useful.

As for the photos? Take them off your phone and stick them in the cloud. Or a file on your computer and put them away.

I personally like to keep them. One day you'll be ready to look at them without bringing up the feelings you're having now.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just trying to get back into dating, hit it off with this girl pretty well but haven't gone out yet and it seems like things just keep going against me.

First she was sick, then I was sick, then we both felt better but she wanted to reschedule and now she's in the hospital and I feel like a dick for thinking she was ignoring me.

Feels bad man.

I'm still swiping on profiles and checking my sites but shit, I feel for her because she's had a rough go so far this year.

Oh whoops got posters all confused with that "what're you looking for" stuff I asked. Sorry about that

I'm glad she's doing better. Hopefully you guys actually have the time to set something up and meet, but yeah keep at the swiping and looking to meet other people.

CQC

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah dont extend benefit of the doubt. That has to be earned. Get out there and date other people. Dont waste time on this one.
I agree.

To top things off, I have a co-worker who is part of her cohort and she just told me that she's down to go, but wouldn't want to go by herself. She has her reasons, but I'm way less interested now knowing that.

On to the next one.

Last edited:

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok going on my first date for first time in 10 years since i have been in a relationship.

The girl is pretty and i feel dumb. When you meet for first time, do you shake hands or give a hug or just stand there like an idiot and saying hi?

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Ok going on my first date for first time in 10 years since i have been in a relationship.

The girl is pretty and i feel dumb. When you meet for first time, do you shake hands or give a hug or just stand there like an idiot and saying hi?
Give a hug. The only correct answer.
Make it friendly and light so it doesn't come off as intimidating or something like that.
Also, be yourself. Be the best version of yourself that is - but don't try to be something you're not.
Be interesting, funny, witty and charming as much as you can.
You got this, good luck!

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Give a hug. The only correct answer.
Make it friendly and light so it doesn't come off as intimidating or something like that.
Also, be yourself. Be the best version of yourself that is - but don't try to be something you're not.
Be interesting, funny, witty and charming as much as you can.
You got this, good luck!
Yeah no problem with personality. Just worried over first impression.

We are both lyme warriors so we have stuff in comon.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a nightmare Beren I'm having trouble figuring out exactly why she even wanted to go on a date, like you said.

For me, one of the worst things someone can do on a date is do stuff on their phone in the middle of it. She apologized constantly yet kept doing it; that just makes the sorrys feel insincere. Like not having a ton of time for a first coffee date is fine, those usually are like an hour long unless you really hit it off. The timeframe was communicated so that's fine but she should have had her shit together so she wasn't constantly texting while you were trying to talk to her.

I guess the good thing about bad dates like that is that the person gave you a clear impression so it's easier for you to write it off and move on.
Yeah, it's just odd all around. Lol maybe she had an hour or so to fill and couldn't find anything else.

Deleted member 8118

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How long do you all wait until you ask someone out on a date in online dating? I've been messaging this woman for a little bit in the span of a few days just getting to know her. Should I go ahead?

I've never taken online dating seriously, so I'm not too advised on it.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
How long do you all wait until you ask someone out on a date in online dating? I've been messaging this woman for a little bit in the span of a few days just getting to know her. Should I go ahead?

I've never taken online dating seriously, so I'm not too advised on it.
Honestly, the quicker the better, for both of you, just so you won't waste each other's time.