• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I loved Monster Hunter World for a while, but games that are too menu-based drag on me after some time. This seems a lot more straightforward in that regard. Also I pretty much exclusively play on Switch these days, and I dig the style here more than MHW, I'm a sucker for more cartoony things. I'm excited to check this out!

Dogzillaboot

Nov 12, 2017
Sacramento, California
Always wanted to try this out but heard the PS4 performance was kind of rough at times. The switch gameplay looked like it's 60fps though? Is that what it actually runs at or was that just trailer shenanigans?

Edit: That was some trailer shenanigans lol

Last edited:

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
I played quite a bit on PC but stopped. I downloaded it on Switch and the performance in the town is quite iffy. I'm not sure if it's due to hardware or the connection. In quests, it's better. The game seems to be low on population though, matchmaking takes ages.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Switch performance in the town is fucking badddddd. On missions it seems ok. In general the game looks pretty ugly though.

Game's fun though!

Last edited:

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
I played quite a bit on PC but stopped. I downloaded it on Switch and the performance in the town is quite iffy. I'm not sure if it's due to hardware or the connection. In quests, it's better. The game seems to be low on population though, matchmaking takes ages.

From what I remember playing on the PS4 (only did one mission), the framerate on the town is similar.

but matchmaking only took me around 30s max in 10-ish hunts!

edit: crossplatform really is an amazing feature!

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
So I downloaded it yesterday and played a bit. Performance in town is awful but it seems ok in missions.
So is the game worth it or is it just poor man's MH ?

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
I stopped playing because performance in the town on PS4 was really bad. Its also bad on Switch, but being able to play it portable makes it worth it for now.

I find the character movement on Switch a bit weird, like when you are running forwards if you try to turn left or right there is a weird dead zone, it feels like the movement is almost 8 way or something.

Dogzillaboot

Nov 12, 2017
Sacramento, California
Cross play like this is fucking magical. It's so nice being able to hop from console to pc back to a separate console. Me and my friend group are hooked.

Is it worth getting the hunter pass early on in the game or is it best to hold off until you progress a bit further so you have access to more monsters/quests?

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I stopped this because the performance on base PS4 was a disgrace for too long. I don't really care about the dips in town, but against the monsters that was fucking annoying too often.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Wasnt expecting to like using Pikes and Fists as much as I did.

I'm usually a Sword (specially dual sword, but no dice here) guy, but tried both weapons and damn, they are fun as well!

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I think the Switch version runs at 10fps in town. It is awful.

The town is indeed beyond awful. Hunts are better, though still far from perfect, which is a shame cause I don't really understand what's so demanding in that game.
I would really be be happy to have a substitute to MH on switch, and the game definitely looks fun, but not at this performance level...

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
If you turn off the chat in town and turn down off motion blur, performance is a bit better I feel. Could be placebo for all I know.

Rafavert

Oct 31, 2017
Portugal
Well, I've been waiting for this to release on the Switch to give it a try... and am hooked! Really scratches that MH itch, but at the same time it's so different it manages to be its own thing. The design philosophy of the monster is quite different (much more fantastic). The weapons are all fun to use, and I quite like the mastery system. Interesting progression system.

it also severely reduces the searching for a monster part and goes straight to the action. I also feel the way the game adjusts the monster to the amount of players is more fair than MH's.

The performance in town is rather poor indeed, but during combat it's fine.

Now I just need to stop being greedy so I don't get hit as much.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Having played the PC version for the last year, I'm very happy with how it runs on Switch. Yes it's a lower frame rate and Ramsgate is real framey... but it's nice to be able to log in, grab the daily bonuses and do some hunts portably.

I tried to get into Monster Hunter several times but it never really took. But Dauntless is easy to pick up, the gameplay is very straightforward and the sessions are generally quick. And the additions Phoenix Labs made recently with Bounty Tokens and Escalation makes it even more accessible, tbh.

Upgrading weapons gets a bit more tricky later when you need parts that only appear in more difficult hunts and only if you break parts off in the beginning minutes of a fight, but... you've probably got a lot of game ahead of you before you starting seeing that. Glad more people are getting into it with the Switch version!

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I logged 2 days ago, and was pleased by many Quality of Life improvements. Frame rate is still dog shit in town, but seemed better in hunts, so that's fine by me.

Is there an Era Guild I can join with my partner and his brother?
There is one, I don't know if it's still active though. The leader is GhOstOfNY, I don't remember his Era name...

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Is there an Era Guild I can join with my partner and his brother?
I logged 2 days ago, and was pleased by many Quality of Life improvements. Frame rate is still dog shit in town, but seemed better in hunts, so that's fine by me.

There is one, I don't know if it's still active though. The leader is GhOstOfNY, I don't remember his Era name...

Count me in for a Era Guild! Would also like to join an existing one or if someone creates a new one.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Quick reminder that a double XP event is going on right now. The current hunt pass ends next week so it's a good time to try and get it done. Escalation plus double XP... you could blow through this hunt pass pretty quick if you pick the right bounties.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I have to say, I'm pleasantly surprised by the addition of Trials and Escalation mode (especially the latter, hella fun). Even the pass, perhaps more grindy, but with better rewards for the free section. And with the bonus Xp Week end, it's really not that hard anyways...

Regarding Escalation, the fact that the upgraded lantern is giving you permanent attack and defense bonus is very good and bypasses the need to have insane Slayer level to upgrade the armor.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA

New hunt pass and event launched today.

Performance on Switch seems a bit improved to me in this build. Ramsgate especially but also the other areas. Load times seem a little better too. I'm not too hot on the cosmetics this time around but the aesthetic is cool.

Rafavert

Oct 31, 2017
Portugal

New hunt pass and event launched today.

Performance on Switch seems a bit improved to me in this build. Ramsgate especially but also the other areas. Load times seem a little better too. I'm not too hot on the cosmetics this time around but the aesthetic is cool.

The Switch version had a MASSIVE downgrade <.<

it doesn't let us choose the game language anymore! Now it forces the system language. I'm Portuguese. I do NOT want the game in Brazilian Portuguese, thank you very much!

I already reached out to them. This is a huge deal to me. I understand not having the game in European Portuguese. Heck, I never expect that, but to FORCE Brazilian onto me is not acceptable, especially when we used to have the option before.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So how is this game now-a-days? I know it hasn't been THAT long since it launched but was thinking of checking it out. Haven't played since the first BP.

Rafavert

Oct 31, 2017
Portugal
So how is this game now-a-days? I know it hasn't been THAT long since it launched but was thinking of checking it out. Haven't played since the first BP.

As far as I can tell (only started playing in november), the two most noteworthy new features are the Escalation (multiple hunts in row, quite fun) and the Trials (hunt a monster under very special criteria). They were already available when I started playing, though, so it's likely there's more new stuff for you.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
Started playing this yesterday with a friend. It was fun but also confusing for new players (so much information on the screen and "hunter pass" and cells and it just keeps going on)

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to get back into this but am lost on how to play my weapons again. It's quite frustrating at times!

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Check the Moveset option in the main menu. They just revamped it to be much clearer!

Goodness lord...The UI, the help menus, basically everything is different from when I played. It's SO much more clear what's happening now, ha. I main repeaters, and I can actually tell when I'm empowered!

Did an escalation yesterday and enjoyed it. I also noticed the leaderboards and swamped with the new fist weapon. Are they OP as hell or something?

Rafavert

Oct 31, 2017
Portugal
Goodness lord...The UI, the help menus, basically everything is different from when I played. It's SO much more clear what's happening now, ha. I main repeaters, and I can actually tell when I'm empowered!

Did an escalation yesterday and enjoyed it. I also noticed the leaderboards and swamped with the new fist weapon. Are they OP as hell or something?

The new fire ones? Strikers are rather strong, though they require you to be constantly keeping the buffs and whatsnot. Not sure abotu the new Torgadoro ones specifically, though. I know they have a new skill, but no ideia if it's strong.

Also, if you use repeaters, I recommend checking out Lady Luck's store =) the Twin Suns are SO fun!

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
Just got into this while in quarantine central. Got some plat and the hunters pass. Any other shop must buys?

Rafavert

Oct 31, 2017
Portugal
The extra loadouts are handy, but you unlock more as you level up. An additional Middle Man slot for cell fusing is also quite useful and you can't unlock those without platinum. Aside from that, it's pretty much just cosmetics.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
How's the monetization work in this? Is it purely cosmetic still, or are there exclusive character classes/weapons/expansions of sorts?

Also, does it perform any better on the Switch now than it used to? How about on PS4 regular and Pro? Considering getting some friends together and starting.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
How's the monetization work in this? Is it purely cosmetic still, or are there exclusive character classes/weapons/expansions of sorts?

Also, does it perform any better on the Switch now than it used to? How about on PS4 regular and Pro? Considering getting some friends together and starting.

Besides the framerate being a bit finicky on the town hub, the rest of the game plays great on the Switch.

Also, crossplay with everyone, so you're good anywhere you choose to play!

The monetization as far as I know is purely cosmetic

Rafavert

Oct 31, 2017
Portugal

It's not purely cosmetic, but the paid elements aren't intrusive. From the top of my head, there's the following paid elements:

Elite Hunt Pass (additional rewards in the Hunt Pass, basically)
Additional loadouts (you unlock up to 6 for free, with another 6 paid)
Additional Cell Slots (put more cells combining simultaneously. You can put one and can't unlock the other two without paying)
Hunting supplies (VERY easy to get ingame. Some can even be bought with the game's currency, which is also pretty easy to get. They really need some money sinks)
Patrol Chests (more specific rewards)
The weird purple coins? Speed up the cell combining process.

So yeah, aside from patrol chests (you get 2 free per day, and can receive more from the daily login bonus) and the purple coins, both consumables, there's a really low ceiling of how much you would spend. Iirc, for 20 euros/dollars you get all permanent stuff with actual gameplay effects.

You need to buy the Elite Hunt Pass every season (a season is a little over a month), but the pass also gives some platinum, so you end up recovering some of the investment and using it in the other things I mentioned. I bought 2 of the 3 last Hunt Passes and with the platinum I got from the passes I bought one set of extra loadouts and one cell slot (which is only useful as long as you have cells to combine. Once you got all the skills at +3 x2, which honestly isn't even difficult, it's... kinda useless.)

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I think I finally hit "mid game". Playing sword and repeaters and having a lot of fun. There's a bit of jank here and there that makes some fights more difficult than others, but that feels like what I'd expect for any hunting game that hasn't been through the ringer like MonHun.

Also, this event is boring and not worth my time. I did two runs and felt like I got nothing for it. Looking at the rewards, they aren't even that great.

Oh and I love how they revamped the hunt pass XP. The last time I bought one was terrible for casual players. I think I got it to level 13 before giving up. I'm at 35 already with these changes. I love that it rewards you for any activity you do in a meaningful way.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
So, on the PC version, as soon as I "Press A to play" the game matchmakes and crashes with the following error:

Assertion failed: [File:Unknown] [Line: 346] Direct3DDevice->CreateTexture2D(TextureDesc,SubResourceData,OutTexture2D) failed at D:/Jenkins/GB_Target_release/Engine/Source/Runtime/Windows/D3D11RHI/Private/D3D11Texture.cpp:480 with error E_INVALIDARG, Size=10x6x1 PF=10 Format=DXGI_FORMAT_R16G16B16A16_FLOAT(0x0000000A), NumMips=6, Flags=D3D11_BIND_RENDER_TARGET D3D11_BIND_SHADER_RESOURCE D3D11_BIND_UNORDERED_ACCESS , Usage:0x0, CPUFlags:0x0, MiscFlags:0x0, SampleCount:0x1, SampleQuality:0x0, SubresPtr:0x0000000000000000, SubresPitch:0, SubresSlicePitch:0

Dauntless_Win64_Shipping
Dauntless_Win64_Shipping
Dauntless_Win64_Shipping
Dauntless_Win64_Shipping
Dauntless_Win64_Shipping
Dauntless_Win64_Shipping
Dauntless_Win64_Shipping
Dauntless_Win64_Shipping
Dauntless_Win64_Shipping
Dauntless_Win64_Shipping
Dauntless_Win64_Shipping
Dauntless_Win64_Shipping
Dauntless_Win64_Shipping
Dauntless_Win64_Shipping
Dauntless_Win64_Shipping
Dauntless_Win64_Shipping
Dauntless_Win64_Shipping
Dauntless_Win64_Shipping
Dauntless_Win64_Shipping
Dauntless_Win64_Shipping
kernel32
ntdll

Couldn't find anything about this and still no reply from the devs!

Any help?

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I think I hit 38 on the new Hunt Pass last night. I'll probably have it finished up by the end of the weekend. I also think I need to start running solo hunts. Group hunts are fine, but the additional health for a 3 person hunt when 2 of them are doing nothing but dying seems like a waste of time. I fought a Scorchstone Hellion last night that took my group 9.5 minutes which is way too long for that fight.