• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
Totally, completely off topic, not hinting at anything at all

SpongeBob is a pretty good show! Classic, really.

This is a thing!? I'm intrigued.

I'll fully admit that I haven't watched any of his stuff in years. Loved the Chappelle Show back in the day, but that definitely seems like a different time.

My impression is that Chappelle just cannot handle the concept of intersectionality. It's why he insists on framing everything as certain groups against each other and can't imagine any other kind of dynamic existing.

And the part about the COVID shot... Holy shit. Pisses me off especially because there's just been over-representation of black people assaulting Asians in news. I remember reading that the majority of attackers in these racist incidents weren't black. Either way, Chappelle can fuck off.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
This is a thing!? I'm intrigued.

I'll fully admit that I haven't watched any of his stuff in years. Loved the Chappelle Show back in the day, but that definitely seems like a different time.

My impression is that Chappelle just cannot handle the concept of intersectionality. It's why he insists on framing everything as certain groups against each other and can't imagine any other kind of dynamic existing.

And the part about the COVID shot... Holy shit. Pisses me off especially because there's just been over-representation of black people assaulting Asians in news. I remember reading that the majority of attackers in these racist incidents weren't black. Either way, Chappelle can fuck off.
Yeah pretty smart commentary on "punching down" humour from a kid's show. He then transitions to self-deprecating humour which is much more popular.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
The right wing and shit comedians have moved onto a concentrated campaign against trans people because gay people are now more intergrated into society.

shit people love to attack the vulnerable. Look how the GOP have stopped openly going to war against gay marriage, and swapped to trying to cut trans people out from society.

This is the final evolution and showing that Chapelle is now one of those shit people and comedians, he has no new content, it's all just worse versions of old stuff or just disgusting punching down.

he is just another terrible rich person who is used to having his own way without any pushback, he only came back into comedy for money you can see this plainly.

Last edited:

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
you know if I'm ever feeling like a sensitive loser I can always look at Dave Chappelle's recent stand-up specials and feel a little bit better about myself ☺️

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
To say it's disappointing to hear him go this route is an understatement. I honestly don't understand how someone whose made such point on comedy about discrimination can turn around to basically say "but this is different" and essentially support shitty attitudes towards another marginalized community.

WTF Dave

Jun 22, 2019
Yeah pretty smart commentary on "punching down" humour from a kid's show. He then transitions to self-deprecating humour which is much more popular.

That episode ends really yikes IMO. He doesn't shift to just self-deprecating humor, he makes fun of everyone there in ways that are clearly meant to be stereotypical in-universe ("fish are smelly").
It veers waaay too close to "it's okay to have racist jokes as long as you make racist jokes about everyone."
I actually think it's a big fucking miss from early SB.

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
About a rich comedian beating down down the social ladder:

One thing that really pisses me off about the elite these days is how they cultivate some kind of middle-class-image to beat down on the lower classes while making it seem like they act on a level field.

And how many celebrities and/or billionaires pretend to be some sort of "rags to riches"-story when they come from an old money background.

In historical times it would've been somebody in a silk robe and a powdered wig beating up a ragged beggar with their gilded walking-cane. But since the rich guy and the beggar now both dress in a shirt and jeans people seem to think that it's somehow equal fight.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
That episode ends really yikes IMO. He doesn't shift to just self-deprecating humor, he makes fun of everyone there in ways that are clearly meant to be stereotypical in-universe ("fish are smelly").
It veers waaay too close to "it's okay to have racist jokes as long as you make racist jokes about everyone."
I actually think it's a big fucking miss from early SB.
Ah shit I misremembered, yeah that isn't as ideal as I'd thought.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm incredibly disappointed by this. How a comedian can go from 8:46 to this is beyond my understanding. It doesn't seem like the same person and this is not a message I'm willing to support in any way.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Chappelle further admits that he "didn't get sick at all" from contracting COVID, calling himself "the Magic Johnson of coronavirus," but that he did get stressed out by watching so many videos of Black people beating up Asians on the streets during the pandemic—before cracking, "I couldn't help but feel like, when I saw these brothers beating these Asians up, that's probably what's happening inside of my body."

dailybeast article

That's horrifying. I would say "what the fuck, Dave", but my expectations are already too low for that.

It almost feels like he thinks there are no black LGBTQ people, so they are all white and thus punching down.

Honestly that's how it feels, like he is going "fuck these white people trying to make it about themselves "
I've noticed that there's a subgenre of homophobia in the black community that seems to unironically think that queerness is some sort of anti-black assault from white people in order to emasculate and control black men. An extreme example of this mentality would be the documentary on the practice of Buck Breaking where Tariq Nasheed, an infamous hotep on social media, tries to make the argument that modern homosexuality is some kind of conspiracy that has roots in slave masters punishing male slaves through sexual assault.

Chappelle further admits that he "didn't get sick at all" from contracting COVID, calling himself "the Magic Johnson of coronavirus," but that he did get stressed out by watching so many videos of Black people beating up Asians on the streets during the pandemic—before cracking, "I couldn't help but feel like, when I saw these brothers beating these Asians up, that's probably what's happening inside of my body."

dailybeast article
jesus fuck man, that doesn't even make sense

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
I've noticed that there's a subgenre of homophobia in the black community that seems to unironically think that queerness is some sort of anti-black assault from white people in order to emasculate and control black men. An extreme example of this mentality would be the documentary on the practice of Buck Breaking where Tariq Nasheed, an infamous hotep on social media, tries to make the argument that modern homosexuality is some kind of conspiracy that has roots in slave masters punishing male slaves through sexual assault.
Yeah, Tariq Nasheed, that's the nutball I was trying to think of in my post a few pages back. What a fucked up notion.

May 26, 2018

dailybeast article

So trans people aren't people and asians are viruses for black antibodies to destroy.

This man's mind must be an everwinding labyrinth of gross shit.

This is even more crazy for him to say when you remember his wife is Asian.

Holy shit what an incredible douchebag.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netflix should have paid him based on critic reviews. This was a lazy, unnecessary special.

He outright calls himself the GOAT lol. He needs competition to call him out because he sounds so uninspired.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I found this part to a small window into his Youtube algorithm. The whole "Blacks assaulting Asians" thing was pushed hard from the right, and this tells me he's probably stuck in the far-right Youtube cycle, which ... actually explains a lot about his last few specials really.

Richi

May 15, 2021

dailybeast article

But hey, if you laugh at it... you too can be Dave's friend. Like Daphne (Dave's trans friend) because she laughed when others didn't see the humor. THAT'S what makes a good trans friend.

Good Lord, this man is ridiculous.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I found this part to a small window into his Youtube algorithm. The whole "Blacks assaulting Asians" thing was pushed hard from the right, and this tells me he's probably stuck in the far-right Youtube cycle, which ... actually explains a lot about his last few specials really.

Nah, that hit mainstream. It's actually only because we're on a left-leaning forum that we even saw counterevidence of any kind.

OP
OP
Firmus_Anguis

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Has any other comedian even called him out yet? Has anyone...?

Random comments? Sure. Articles? Yes.
But no fellow celebrities, as of yet... His BS message about cancel culture is resonating with them, it seems... No one is speaking out.

waterpuppy

Too green for a tag
Jul 17, 2021

But no fellow celebrities, as of yet... His BS message about cancel culture is resonating with them, it seems... No one is speaking out.
My guess is that he's seen as so untouchable by a lot of comedians that people don't even bother. And the ones who do care probably aren't big enough to call him out without risking their livelihoods.

OP
OP
Firmus_Anguis

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
My guess is that he's seen as so untouchable by a lot of comedians that people don't even bother. And the ones who do care probably aren't big enough to call him out without risking their livelihoods.
It's nonetheless frustrating. Cancel culture isn't even a thing!!

It feels like these assholes could get away with murder at this point (which in a way they are, with specials like these...).

"What?! I'm facing a prison sentence?! But I only killed, like, 4 people! Cancel culture!!!"

It's fucking ridiculous. In their worldview, they're infallible; they can do no wrong and anyone upset about their ignorance is trying to cancel them. There should never be any repercussions for what they say.

Oh, and they're already rich as fuck, so I don't fucking care if you have a platform to spew your ignorant-ass hate on or not!

I'm sure you'll manage. I'm still fucking furious about this, Chappelle can seriously fuck off!!

loco

Jan 6, 2021
It blows my mind how many people are watching this special and not seeing anything wrong with it. I'm already seeing a lot of dismissive "lol white people angry" responses on my social media. Chapelle really is untouchable and can get away with anything. He's basically flipping it back in victims faces and saying deal with it. All the while making sure to play the victim like when he fought a lesbian which was ok because he thought she was a man. It's disgusting and reckless. My 18 year old nephew just came out and it's shit like this that makes him suicidal. We already warned my sister in law to make sure he doesn't watch it

y0shizawa

May 3, 2021
I've loved Dave Chappelle in years gone by. But this special — on top of everything else, it's just not funny either. I don't think much of it was even meant to be punchlines or comedy bits, so much felt like just a platform to rant / defend himself from criticism

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017

One or two days ago he premiered a new movie about his summer festivals in Ohio last year, at a special sold out performance at the Hollywood bowl, and a bunch of celebrities joined him on stage and applauded him including Snoop Dogg, Stevie Wonder, Lizzo, Jon Hamm, and many more.

So no, not really to answer your question.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
One or two days ago he premiered a new movie about his summer festivals in Ohio last year, at a special sold out performance at the Hollywood bowl, and a bunch of celebrities joined him on stage and applauded him including Snoop Dogg, Stevie Wonder, Lizzo, Jon Hamm, and many more.

So no, not really to answer your question.

Hmmm, it's almost as if this "cancel culture" dead horse is mere fear mongering not based in reality? 🤔