• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That was very good, the Jackson bit was hilarious and the trans stuff was ignorant as expected. It slows down a bit near the last third.

J2d

Oct 26, 2017
I thought it was awful, didn't laugh a single time. I was thinking back on when he commented on Kramer saying the n word and him being hurt (which to be fair he goes on saying hes something like 30% black and 70% comedian) but then failing to understanding how he shouldn't use certain words since he isn't part of it. Maybe I got it wrong, I zoned out at times since it felt so dull.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissing Concerns of Transphobia; Prior Severe Bans for Dismissing Concerns of Racism and for Misogyny
If it hit you hard, you probably need a sense of humor as Dave always made sure to give the actual point in the end of every piece. Quite intelligent although the actual jokes were really cruel. I liked it.

Pretty much exactly how I felt!

If you didn't wait till the end of his bits, you MAY have gotten offended without waiting for the full context.

Context is key for Chappelle, and his formula, which requires that, is genius to me.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Pretty much exactly how I felt!

If you didn't wait till the end of his bits, you MAY have gotten offended without waiting for the full context.

Context is key for Chappelle, and his formula, which requires that, is genius to me.
The end of the trans joke was that being trans is like being a chinese man stuck in a black man's body. That isn't a punchline worth waiting for. There also wasn't a good end to the pedophile/victim blaming section. Most of the other bits were classic Dave though with some great payoffs.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Finally saw it today, packed weekend seeing Ali Wong and Russell Peters live so it was interesting juxtapositioning their comedy with his. I'm a huge Chappelle fan for 20 years so obviously thats going to color my views.

I thought this was probably the weakest or second weakest of his netflix specials, there were some good bits but there were also lesser comedy "sketches". I use the word sketches, because all the bits where he talks about other people and society were kinda weak. The bits where he relates the topic to HIS life directly were amazing and fantastic, he is still one of the top story tellers imo and I just get sucked into it sometimes. His story about being poor vs being broke was fantastic. His other specials were mostly very, very personal things that mattered to him and it really came across, this special was half half-hearted and you could tell. Not much payoff to half the setups, as a few people have pointed out in this thread.

The epilogue is definitely great, wish he had kept going with that final Obama story I was really riveted. Still, end of the day I'd rewatch Age of Spin anytime while I'm not really sure I'd rewatch this one.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
The epilogue made really nostalgic for some reason.

I thought it was better than the special itself.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Watched this tonight. One of his better and more consistently funny specials. Didn't realize there was an epilogue portion. Will definitely watch.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
The Kanye joke is amazing, other than that it was mostly meh. Surprised that with all the criticism he's received, the Louis CK defending seems to have gone under the radar

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Finally got to see it this weekend. Will admit I was primed not to laugh after reading the vice thread about the special. The beginning did have it's cringe moments but I think the end tied most of them up. I was spoiled some because the middle of the show I had heard before when I saw him live. Wish he would of did the fart in mouth joke he did live. I think some of the jokes people are taking the wrong way which is ok but you should also see how someone could interpret them differently i.e. the Bourdain suicide joke. I do think he set out to be as crass as possible. The Chinese black man joke didn't land and was a classic transphobic joke. Later he mentioned though that his wife hates that joke but not for the transphobia but because of the racisim since she is Asian which ties back into the theme of the whole special about only really caring about what offendeds your social group.

I'd rate it about a 7. Sort of in line with his previous Netflix shows. Felt the set he did when I saw him live was much better.

Arjen

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Enjoyed most of it. Some parts in the second half had me laughing with tears in my eyes.

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's something hilarious about out of touch comedians complaining about censorship while 50% of Netflix's comedy output has "triggered" in the title and we have one of the most un-pc administrations of modern times.
You're opinions aren't some fringe minority, you are the norm
Well people still unsuccessfully tried to "cancel" him after this special, so the threat is still alive and well, and I doubt his opinions are the norm out of Netflix's stand up catalogue.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I brought this up in the other thread but we didn't really get a chance to discuss it there. Damon Young at Very Smart Brothas is pretty sharp in his analyses usually.

All the Worst White People Love Dave Chappelle's Sticks and Stones

Sticks and Stones is mostly an hour of Chappelle trolling trans people, rape victims, gay people, and other hyper-vulnerable communities while defending famous millionaires. And something happened while watching it that has never happened to me while watching Dave Chappelle. I got up and did things around the house while it was still on. Not because of some deep offense, but because I was just bored with it. Defending the words and rights of powerful people is perhaps the most mundane and least transgressive thing an artist can do, and last night was trash pickup night, so I multitasked so I could get to bed at a decent hour.

That said, there are also many who consider this to be one of his best performances. And among that group are trolls, professional bigots, white supremacists, Nazi sympathizers and more of the very worst white people; an adoration due to the parallels between their sensibilities and his.

Young highlights Breitbart, Jack Posobiec and other alt-right figures celebrating and lionizing Chappelle because of the special. Wondering what people think of Young's take here.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I brought this up in the other thread but we didn't really get a chance to discuss it there. Damon Young at Very Smart Brothas is pretty sharp in his analyses usually.

Young highlights Breitbart, Jack Posobiec and other alt-right figures celebrating and lionizing Chappelle because of the special. Wondering what people think of Young's take here.

Considering the Mollie (who?) chick didn't even understand the clear as fucking day Pro-choice bit, I think that says a lot about how dumb some right wingers can be.

But if people want to run with that and claim Dave Chapelle is somehow alt right, then I've truly lost all faith in America.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering the Mollie (who?) chick didn't even understand the clear as fucking day Pro-choice bit, I think that says a lot about how dumb some right wingers can be.

But if people want to run with that and claim Dave Chapelle is somehow alt right, then I've truly lost all faith in America.
I'm not sure anyone is saying Chappelle identifies as alt-right, but key alt-right figures and outlets have been elevating him to alt-right icon status-- Breitbart alone has published a staggering six(!) separate pieces celebrating & defending him in just over a week. It's pretty crazy how much they're dug in on the Chappelle love-fest now that punching down at the LGBTQ community is so key to his brand.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure anyone is saying Chappelle identifies as alt-right, but key alt-right figures and outlets have been elevating him to alt-right icon status-- Breitbart alone has published a staggering six(!) separate pieces celebrating & defending him in just over a week. It's pretty crazy how much they're dug in on the Chappelle love-fest now that punching down at the LGBTQ community is so key to his brand.

They're allowed to like whatever they want. Doesn't make them right (as in correct). That one chick wrote up an article herself after completely missing the point of the joke she gravitated towards in the first place.

The right are idiots. They can't process or contextualize shit.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018

I mean (y'all tired about reading this? think about how I feel having to type this shit out again) this isn't even the first time that Chapelle found his work being appropriated for fascist and fascist-adjacent causes. It's just that the last time it happened he had the good sense to stop and think about what he wanted to do.

Or maybe [waves hands around] this was what he concluded. In which case, I have but one yike left to give.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're allowed to like whatever they want. Doesn't make them right. That one chick wrote up an article herself after completely missing the point of the joke she gravitated towards in the first place.
Oh, sure of course. It's just interesting how the alt-right has coalesced around Chappelle with this special.

I mean (y'all tired about reading this? think about how I feel having to type this shit out again) this isn't even the first time that Chapelle found his work being appropriated for fascist and fascist-adjacent causes. It's just that the last time it happened he had the good sense to stop and think about what he wanted to do.

Or maybe [waves hands around] this was what he concluded. In which case, I have but one yike left to give.
I would have thought that it was a lesson learned but either way but it's hard to imagine that Chappelle would be surprised at the alt-right love-fest he's getting.

Kitten Mittens

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Oh, sure of course. It's just interesting how the alt-right has coalesced around Chappelle with this special.
I dont think anyone would argue against that. The right will latch onto anything that suits their agenda. The problem was initially you referred to Dave as an "alt right icon". He has never been one, and will never be one. He believes in far too many ideas contrary to their own to be an icon of theirs.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont think anyone would argue against that. The right will latch onto anything that suits their agenda. The problem was initially you referred to Dave as an "alt right icon". He has never been one, and will never be one. He believes in far too many ideas contrary to their own to be an icon of theirs.
I very much disagree with this-- the way he's being lauded and elevated by the alt-right is nothing short of remarkable. I mean Breitbart is pretty much the leading media outlet of that, uh, movement and with the way their pushing him, it's more than fair to say that the special has pushed him to alt-right icon status.

Kitten Mittens

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
I very much disagree with this-- the way he's being lauded and elevated by the alt-right is nothing short of remarkable. I mean Breitbart is pretty much the leading media outlet of that, uh, movement and with the way their pushing him, it's more than fair to say that the special has pushed him to alt-right icon status.
That just tells me you dont know what an icon actually is. But this is a stupid point of debate, so I'm gonna bow out.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That just tells me you dont know what an icon actually is. But this is a stupid point of debate, so I'm gonna bow out.
It's all good, I'm not trying to fight with you, but I emphatically disagree.

"icon- a person or thing regarded as a representative symbol or as worthy of veneration"

Breitbart: Dave Chappelle Just Might Save America

Breitbart said:
Chappelle's done it. Sticks & Stones is a rarity: a perfect piece of art… Nothing could be improved upon, nothing need be touched up. Every brush stroke is exactly where it should be.
Dave Chappelle wants to talk about what he wants to talk about, which is a God-given right that had been slowly melting away, starting in the late-eighties with the puritan jihads against Sam Kinison and Andrew Dice Clay. But as of late, in this new blacklisting era of ours, that right is almost entirely gone, and Chappelle is done sitting in the back of the satire bus.

(which is just one of six articles there lionizing or defending Chappelle in a little over a week)

Last edited:

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i thought it was weaker than his last two. i'd say his best bit was the jussie smollett bit. guess i'm more of a fan of him telling funny stories than i am his social commentary.

ry-dog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well people still unsuccessfully tried to "cancel" him after this special, so the threat is still alive and well, and I doubt his opinions are the norm out of Netflix's stand up catalogue.

I just see a lot of criticism, comedians don't have the thickest of skins ironically enough, usually handle criticism very poorly.

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
The Bird Revelation has been my favourite so far of the Netflix specials, this one wasn't up to standard smurfx but agreed the Smollett part was funny

Illenium

Aug 7, 2019
i thought it was weaker than his last two. i'd say his best bit was the jussie smollett bit. guess i'm more of a fan of him telling funny stories than i am his social commentary.

100% agreed. My boyfriend loves him but I laid in bed right next to him just being bored of every single joke. The only joke that might've gotten me is the chinese joke he makes about his wife but that's because I'm asian. It felt super forced

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked his bit about how he finally understood why white America didn't do much about the crack cocaine epidemic ravaging black communities in the 80s, as he put it "Watching all these white people on opoids made me realize... I just don't care". Its a bit of truth, a bit of harsh reality, a bit of making yourself feel uncomfortable and wondering if you are the same way about a lot of things (I am), but done in a way that for some reason just stuck with me.

I also thought it was interesting that like 2 of the questions/stories in the epilogue were people basically asking Chappelle for advice on breaking into comedy. I do wonder how many people watch these kind of specials and think "hey... I could do this!" They totally can too, but I think the work it takes to grind it out is probably a lot more crushing than people think. They even took away Last Comic standing!

Cities seem to have a LOT more comedy clubs now though, 3-5 new ones opened in Vegas alone in just the past year or two (Jimmy Kimmel's one is fantastic) and are always packed and tickets are crazy prices. I saw the club that Chappelle mentioned in the epilogue thats his favorite, the one in San Francisco, is $100 a ticket PLUS two drink minimum. Is it the same in NYC? I remember going to clubs in the 90s when I worked in NYC and it was super cheap to get in.

Staf

Nov 7, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Watched it last night and i loved it! Haven't watched the other ones but i will now for sure. Just loved the Smollett part, "Find out where Kanye West was last night" lol!

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got around to watching this and the "epilogue" last night, pretty classic Chappelle here, if you were into the Chappelle Show I can see no reason why you'd not be into this... perfect timing, great setup and delivery, thoughtful jokes and material and really works the crowd making them laugh even if they're not sure about it. Kinda funny to see how he perfectly predicts the precise reaction to some of the stuff he jokes about. Still at the top of his game and delivering an important perspective.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Double toasted weighing in - tl;dr: they like it but there is some nuance thats interesting (as a non black guy) to listen to

Finally got around to watching this and the "epilogue" last night, pretty classic Chappelle here, if you were into the Chappelle Show I can see no reason why you'd not be into this... perfect timing, great setup and delivery, thoughtful jokes and material and really works the crowd making them laugh even if they're not sure about it. Kinda funny to see how he perfectly predicts the precise reaction to some of the stuff he jokes about. Still at the top of his game and delivering an important perspective.

Yeah, it's pretty good. Like, I'll just watch the things that happen after his specials and make the same face as my avatar; like couldn't script this shit better.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I thought it was pretty good, not his best stuff, and not every joke landed, but you're always gonna get a bit of hit and miss in any comedy special.

It's kinda weird that the alt-right loves him, (especially with the jokes targetting white people)
but I'm not gonna let their opinions colour my own one way or another.

cormano91939

Banned
Sep 4, 2019
I am not a Progressive, so don't take what I am about to say as butthurt because of that: he's just not that funny, and I am really annoyed at all the media pieces that have come out and have praised how much of a "master of comedy" he is. All these videos showing up on my feed about how he "dodges laser beams," lol. Dude has a funny voice, and his manner is funny. But his actual writing is pretty average, and when he gets ponderous and starts to stretch his brand of racial humor, it gets predictable and just stupid. The best part of Chapelle show was Charlie Murphy, so maybe this foo shouldn't get as much credit as he has been getting.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I got around to watching it a second time last night and I feel like it is definitely more on the weaker scale compared to his other specials.

Still good overall

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Double toasted weighing in - tl;dr: they like it but there is some nuance thats interesting (as a non black guy) to listen to

What a milquetoast review tbh. They especially managed to not even address the transphobia instead just tossing us in as the gay people and using their gay friends liking it to wipe it all away.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I really liked his bit about how he finally understood why white America didn't do much about the crack cocaine epidemic ravaging black communities in the 80s, as he put it "Watching all these white people on opoids made me realize... I just don't care". Its a bit of truth, a bit of harsh reality, a bit of making yourself feel uncomfortable and wondering if you are the same way about a lot of things (I am), but done in a way that for some reason just stuck with me.

I also thought it was interesting that like 2 of the questions/stories in the epilogue were people basically asking Chappelle for advice on breaking into comedy. I do wonder how many people watch these kind of specials and think "hey... I could do this!" They totally can too, but I think the work it takes to grind it out is probably a lot more crushing than people think. They even took away Last Comic standing!

Cities seem to have a LOT more comedy clubs now though, 3-5 new ones opened in Vegas alone in just the past year or two (Jimmy Kimmel's one is fantastic) and are always packed and tickets are crazy prices. I saw the club that Chappelle mentioned in the epilogue thats his favorite, the one in San Francisco, is $100 a ticket PLUS two drink minimum. Is it the same in NYC? I remember going to clubs in the 90s when I worked in NYC and it was super cheap to get in.

Stand up comedy is hard as fuck. Much respect to Dave's success-- I think he's pretty good at it when he's not trying to "prove a point". That crack bit was on the money-- he's in the midst of controversy but blind spots aside he's a great social commentator when he chooses to be. The Ja Rule line is still used today even here on ERA. By all accounts he's squeaky clean and celebs and people who know find him to be a good person (this next bit isn't addressing your post directly btw).

I enjoyed the special for the most part but I'm not gonna co-sign on anyone thinking that the transphobic parts are some stretch of genius. That's basically been then type of humor among straight black dudes for years.

YouTube search Jamie Foxx's bit about being sexually attracted to Prince. He literally yells out, "I ain't no f**!" Before delivering his punchline. This then gives him a pass to keep his straightness or straight card after saying Prince made him feel some type of way when he looked in his eyes. I still think it's a funny bit but the humor is found in the glaring issue it mocks.

The dehumanize gay men as is so you can only imagine the shit they fling at the trans community. It's not pretty I've had to separate myself from a lot of hateful people.

I think my biggest disappointment is that Dave decided to use his platform as a black, rich n famous, dude to further perpetuate those things because he somehow felt the need to stand up or take one for comedy. Personally, I didn't think it was that bad from a comedy standpoint till I got on here. If those people that were specifically targeted go into detail as to why it hurt and what about it is harmful I have to believe it. Using the, "my trans friends thinks it's cool and funny," really doesn't help the cause.

He could do better.

Last edited: