• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure anyone is saying Chappelle identifies as alt-right, but key alt-right figures and outlets have been elevating him to alt-right icon status-- Breitbart alone has published a staggering six(!) separate pieces celebrating & defending him in just over a week. It's pretty crazy how much they're dug in on the Chappelle love-fest now that punching down at the LGBTQ community is so key to his brand.
I wonder how many times they talk about him going on about voting for Hillary 😆

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was funnier than his other Netflix specials. It's a shame epilogue isn't available to all. That's pretty much a show in itself.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
I hope Breitbart interviews him and live on air he surprises them with an epic Trump rant that they have to cut the broadcast 😂

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope Breitbart interviews him and live on air he surprises them with an epic Trump rant that they have to cut the broadcast 😂
He's pretty fixated on punching down at at-risk marginalized communities at the moment. Mocking trans people and defending sexual abusers is his brand now.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I can't really be pressed to give a shit about what the alt-right thinks in any capacity. They are shitheels and reactionist that just feed off of the actions of the left in moments like this. They are just capitalizing on Dave's material and acting like he was speaking on their behalf when he doesn't give a fuck about them and was being more protective of comedy as some sacred untouchable thing. As usual, they ignore context just to own da libs. It fucking sucks that because I've watched Chappelle clips on YouTube I am now getting, "DAVE CHAPPELLE SHITS ON LIBERALS AND OUTRAGE CULTURE" with the smug ass video cover to boot. Gonna have to stop altogether because I hate when my feed gets cluttered with their edgy garbage.

This isn't to say Dave could have left the transphobic stuff alone but it clearly bothers him more than he likes to admit. He wants so badly for the Trans-Community to just give him the okay on this kind of shit. But respect goes both ways unfortunately and he'll have to live with the fact that not every trans person is Dapheny and they don't have to respect him or his comedy.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017

Or how he advises his black fans to legally purchase firearms so that gun control legislation will finally be passed.

It seems like a lot of commentators are counting on their viewers/ listeners not actually watching the special because dumping on trans people and doubting victims are the only the two points where their views line up with Chapelle's.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
Or how he advises his black fans to legally purchase firearms so that gun control legislation will finally be passed.

It seems like a lot of commentators are counting on their viewers/ listeners not actually watching the special because dumping on trans people and doubting victims are the only the two points where their views line up with Chapelle's.
I gave the special ten minutes before I turned it off, because what you described pretty much summed up what I saw. So the special is in fact more than making fun of child rape victims etc?

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm not so sure. It might be that their and his mutual extreme hatred for the LGBTQ community is enough to override any differences. That and they love bitching and moaning about "cancel culture" just like Chappelle.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

He'll probably just claim Trump is just like Trans people total liars or something

And then folks here will go oh man did you see Chappelle own Trump, stop being sensitive trans people!

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I gave the special ten minutes before I turned it off, because what you described pretty much summed up what I saw. So the special is in fact more than making fun of child rape victims etc?

Yes and no. There were a handful of jokes/ points I found funny, but definitely a majority of it is just Dave gleefully saying things he knows he's not supposed to.

It definitely seems way, way more mean-spirited than I remember his show being (I never watched any of his standup content before these Netflix specials). After he talks about not believing that Micheal Jackson molested anyone he starts talking about R. Kelly. The intro was actually funny I thought, he finishes talking about Jackson and says something along the lines of "People are always asking me, 'If you give Micheal the benefit of the doubt, why not R. Kelly?' And that's a completely different story, because I'm pretty sure he did that shit." He then does a bit calling Kelly a moron for recording himself having sex with a teenager while they both reference multiple times how she's only 14. He says, "What he SHOULD have done is record himself saying 'This is the best THIRTY-SIX year old pussy I've ever had' to give his lawyer something to work with. Of course that would have been a lie, since we all know there's no such thing as good thirty-six year old pussy." There's a lot of moments like that that just seem really awkward to me. It really seems like Dane Cook level humor where the entire joke is just "He said WHAT!?!" Maybe I would have found it funny as a teenager, but now I just think "God damn, sucks to be his wife."

I watched the entire thing, which I suggest doing if you're following reactions to it to have the whole context of what he said. I do believe there's a few jokes that come across terribly on paper but that come across better when you hear him say it. There's also some lines where that's not true, and he's just openly, honestly being hateful.

Overall, even disregarding the offensiveness of some of the jokes, it's still really, really disappointing. I see some (mostly right-wing) commentators saying he's like this generation's George Carlin, and that this is his masterpiece. I really don't understand how anyone could think that, even if you don't bat an eye at any of the LBTQ/ victim blaming remarks. There's absolutely zero insight here, Dave doesn't express a single original thought during the entire special. At it's best most of the material is just a repackaging of very common "conservative" talking points. Even when he branches out from making comments that will light up the faces of the alt-right he's rehashing comments I've seen many times before, like the example from my last post where he says gun control is only going to happen when black people start buying guns. He talks about the Louis CK situation and at one point says something along the lines of "Can you imagine calling the police and saying 'Hello! Someone is masturbating on the other line!' Just hang up the phone!" Again, even putting aside whether or not I agree with the sentiment I've heard that take so many times.

Garou

Oct 25, 2017
FYI, the epilogue is now available in my region under "Trailers, etc." of the Special. They probably were late with the localisation.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
Watched it yesterday. Some good bits, but honestly, Chappelle is really out of touch on some issues.

The Michael Jackson bit is just plain weird. I mean, I know that with some black people it's an OJ Simpson kind of situation, but defending a child molestor. That's the hill you want to die on? Then the Kevin Hart bit and the cancel culture stuff. The only thing that I actually thought was hilariously unfunny to the point of being cringey because it was so bad was the asian bit. Like, wtf?

That and the other very telling thing in my opinion was the faggot - nigger bit. For me those two just highlight that he does not understand gender issues at all. Up to the point of being completely clueless about transsexuality.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, sure of course. It's just interesting how the alt-right has coalesced around Chappelle with this special.

Is it really all that interesting? The alt right likes to coalesce around ANYTHING they think someone somewhere is offended by. It's not like this behaviour from them is new. It's been going on years. They gravitate towards movies, tv shows, hell even comedy that people yell offends them.

Exactly. Like, you are wasting your time expecting me to care about what shit like Breitbart has decided they "like" today. They play the exact same system for nearly a decade and folks are still surprised? They will cherry pick all day, because thats what they do.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I watched it yesterday and loved it, one of my favourite shows in a long time.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
I'm tired of the stupid and lazy take that people don't like this special because they are offended. If there had been funny punchlines or hell, punchlines at all this would have been much different. I see more people who claim to like it just to stick it to the imaginary offended people than anything.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Excusing transphobia
It's creepy how many people are into attacking LGBTQ people and shaming the victims of sexual assault.

Nothing is off limits when it comes to comedy, laughing at an offensive joke doesn't make you a bad person, it's called a joke for a reason. Anything can be funny if told right, and Dave is a master, if you don't agree you can completely avoid his content without any effort at all.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing is off limits when it comes to comedy, laughing at an offensive joke doesn't make you a bad person, it's called a joke for a reason. Anything can be funny if told right, and Dave is a master, if you don't agree you can completely avoid his content without any effort at all.
Not really.

Blackface is off limits for good reason and not at all funny. That bizarre shtick Chappelle pulled with with the racist Chinese stereotype and likening it to trans people's experience is definitely not funny and extremely creepy. If you feel good laughing at that, knock yourself out. But don't expect to be insulated from people's understanding of just how transphobic, homophobic and in the case of that particular "joke" racist Chappelle's retrograde "humor" is.

Cow

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing is off limits in comedy is just creating an opening for extremely bigoted comedy to become acceptable. The argument that nothing is off limits if it is funny is flawed because almost everything is funny to different groups of people. You do not get to decide what is and is not funny. You can get an extremely bigoted piece of stand up and there will be people who find it funny. Is that all fine? Some people will find blackface funny. Is it fine? It's not fine at all. Suggesting nothing is off limits is for bigoted comedy and comedians.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
Daphne is trans and she seems to be a huge fan of Chappelle's as well

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Please don't do this. Don't try and hold up one trans person who liked his jokes while dismissing every single one of the trans people who have spoke up in this thread and the other one.

And of course there are limits in comedy. Do you seriously think that a minstrel show would be full of people celebrating it because it's funny to some racist people?

Last edited:

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
It would be an unnecessary risk as a critic to say you enjoyed or endorse this special at all.

Outside of Era, the reception seems to be nearly universally positive.
It does seem like the general public is in to it like with anything Chapelle has done. Weirdly enough, the radio station I listen to played a bit from this the other day, I've not heard that before.

With that said, though, I think at this point it's impossible to really gauge anything with RT user reviews. People just use it to push agendas like with TLJ and Captain Marvel. It's pretty much only ever useful for things that aren't high profile or have any controversy.

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm tired of the stupid and lazy take that people don't like this special because they are offended. If there had been funny punchlines or hell, punchlines at all this would have been much different. I see more people who claim to like it just to stick it to the imaginary offended people than anything.

Generally, comedians tell the same jokes for years and switch out various bits keeping what works and dropping what doesn't. They often even tell the same jokes on late night shows and during interviews as they do in their specials. There's nothing unusual about it. It's like a musician changing the set list around. The later performance also added some new lines, clearly indicating it was a response to the reaction it got the first time.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017

Having a black friend doesn't give you a pass to wear blackface.

It would be an unnecessary risk as a critic to say you enjoyed or endorse this special at all.

Outside of Era, the reception seems to be nearly universally positive.
how is it a risk if the backlash only exists on era?

Funny how you have to be careful not to risk your career by liking this special, yet everyone but the evil Era hivemind likes it anyway. Imagine being able to believe both of these at once.

Generally, comedians tell the same jokes for years and switch out various bits keeping what works and dropping what doesn't. They often even tell the same jokes on late night shows and during interviews as they do in their specials. There's nothing unusual about it. It's like a musician changing the set list around. The later performance also added some new lines, clearly indicating it was a response to the reaction it got the first time.

Yeah, comedians workshop things all the time. Then a special comes out and they perform a joke at it's peak. They don't use the same joke in multiple specials.

Also, if you workshop a joke and years into it still have no punchline, you aren't a master of comedy.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
Having a black friend doesn't give you a pass to wear blackface.

Funny how you have to be careful not to risk your career by liking this special, yet everyone but the evil Era hivemind likes it anyway. Imagine being able to believe both of these at once.

Yeah, comedians workshop things all the time. Then a special comes out and they perform a joke at it's peak. They don't use the same joke in multiple specials.

Also, if you workshop a joke and years into it still have no punchline, you aren't a master of comedy.
I hit 200 before I stopped counting the ways in which that's a false equivalence.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hit 200 before I stopped counting the ways in which that's a false equivalence.
You really don't see the correlation between "hey there's one trans person who thinks these transphobic jokes are funny" (with the apparent implication that those jokes must be fine then) and someone saying "I have black friends" (so they can't be racist even though their words & actions state otherwise)?

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Dave chapelle is just too damn funny. I think there's few that can succeed in making jokes about controversial and distastegul subjects like he does, but the way he does it is just so funny and very obvious for comedic purposes. I especially like it when he first tries to make u think he is serious and then he goes to such an extreme that it cant be serious lol. He is the only one who'll be able to pull that off today.

Last edited:

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
Finally got around to watching the special last night. The most offensive thing about it is that it's just not that funny. Chappelle has some of the best comedic delivery I've ever heard, but his joke writing in the Netflix era has been very mediocre in my opinion. His best jokes are when he's telling stories from his life, not talking about culture and society.

I'm of the mind that if you're clever, creative and funny enough, you can talk about any topic in comedy. The issue with the jokes in this special is that they aren't clever, creative or funny. They're offensive for the sake of being offensive which got old in, conservatively, 2010.

The "alphabet people" bit is an example of this. The idea of "people going to different protests all riding in the same car" is kinda funny, but then he goes on to just be mean for ten minutes.

Also, the audience is so fucking annoying. The constant cheering at everything controversial thing he says just feels like ass kissing

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Dave chapelle is just too damn funny. I think there's few that can succeed in making jokes about controversial and distastegul subjects like he does, but the way he does it is just so funny and very obvious for comedic purposes. I especially like it when he first tries to make u think he is serious and then he goes to such an extreme that it cant be serious lol. He is the only one who'll be able to pull that off today.

I ended up watching all of his specials today, and they were great, I'd never really seen much of him before.