• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Hey, so when you said nothing is off limits when it comes to comedy, does that include blackface?

tbt.gif

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not.

You said nothing is off limits in comedy. So is that actually nothing or just some things?

And further why is the mockery of the existence of trans people open season but black face may not be? They're not the same but they are similar in that both dehumanize marginalized people.

TheMilkman

Banned
Aug 30, 2019
Just finished this. Nigga had to pause and take a breath at that duck grease bit. This nigga Dave man

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
It's a pretty simple question if you feel comfortable with the assertion there are no limits. You're being asked to defend your position that you yourself offered.

Nothing offends me when it comes to comedy, I'm sure Dave Chapelle could write a funny black face joke if he wanted to.

El Gallo

Banned
Aug 27, 2019
User Banned (1 week): dismissing concerns around blackface/racism.
Ok.

Also, are you suggesting that blackface is not off limits? Because that's what the conversation was about that you chimed in on.

Nothing should be off limits in comedy. The It's Always Sunny Lethal Weapon episode is one of my favorites and it has Mac and Dee in blackface.

Go-suck-an-egg-1152x660.jpg

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
Just so we're all clear. A joke involving blackface that involves more than just showing a character in blackface is fine.

Dave's whole joke was "imagine being born into the wrong body. That is funny. Imagine if I believed I were Chinese in this body. Walking around making a squinty Asian stereotype face and talking in a stereotypical accent."

Hilarious punchline, that being trans sucks for trans people but is funny if you have privilege.

Truly a visionary noting society through a refreshing lens.

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissing concerns around blackface/racism; prior severe bans for dismissing bigotry and for dismissing concerns of sexual misconduct
Nothing should be off limits in comedy. The It's Always Sunny Lethal Weapon episode is one of my favorites and it has Mac and Dee in blackface.

Go-suck-an-egg-1152x660.jpg
Dee did blackface and a hugely offensive Asian impression in one episode. It was fucking hilarious.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just so we're all clear. A joke involving blackface that involves more than just showing a character in blackface is fine.

Dave's whole joke was "imagine being born into the wrong body. That is funny. Imagine if I believed I were Chinese in this body. Walking around making a squinty Asian stereotype face and talking in a stereotypical accent."

Hilarious punchline, that being trans sucks for trans people but is funny if you have privilege.

Truly a visionary noting society through a refreshing lens.

His comedy has always been like this. Treating serious subjects with levity.

And your misrepresenting his Chinese joke. He has stated numerous times on his specials that "trans people are people born into the wrong body" so it's not someone who "believes he is Chinese" it is a Chinese person born into the wrong body.

It's probably one of the things he's been very direct about, it's a performance he doesn't have to tell his true feelings. Now how you think we should approach the subject of "people born in the wrong body" is very personal but his joke that the difference between poor black people and poor white people is that poor whites don't believe it should be happening to them says more about privilege than your comment.

Deleted member 19844

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
You literally just suggested I use my imagination to find a scenario where blackface is funny.
It doesn't follow that that is defending blackface, though. A scenario involving, for example, murder isn't necessarily defending murder. A joke involving a character saying the n word isn't necessarily defending its use. It depends on a whole host of things — the intent, the author, the tone, the meaning in the context of the joke / scenario, etc.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
It's not.

You said nothing is off limits in comedy. So is that actually nothing or just some things?

And further why is the mockery of the existence of trans people open season but black face may not be? They're not the same but they are similar in that both dehumanize marginalized people.

I'd say what Dave did is quite different from blackface.

Although, I get your point.

Middleman

Banned
Jun 14, 2019
Lol wow.

And not just "find funny" but *checks notes* put myself into an imaginative headspace where I can find hilarity in blackface in TV or film.

That's gonna be a yikes from me.
You're just talking nonsense now.

Being able to find humour in a situation or behaviour is not the same as condoning the behaviour itself.

Stop just throwing out buzzwords.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're just talking nonsense now.

Being able to find humour in a situation or behaviour is not the same as condoning the behaviour itself.

Stop just throwing out buzzwords.
Buzzwords? What are you talking about?

Chappelle made a ridiculously transphobic & homophobic special and people are waving away these communities' concerns. Which to me is fucked up. I'm justtrying to find what Chappelle stans' bottom is. And now we're seeing people try to find ways to justify humor in blackface. I'm also trying to make sense of people's thinking around so called comedy that revolves around punching down at marginalized people.

Last edited:

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the epilogue, you guys built it up way too much! Was pretty good though. The bit about normalizing something was food for thought (maybe less so for people who think about American current affairs often).

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
His comedy has always been like this. Treating serious subjects with levity.

And your misrepresenting his Chinese joke. He has stated numerous times on his specials that "trans people are people born into the wrong body" so it's not someone who "believes he is Chinese" it is a Chinese person born into the wrong body.

It's probably one of the things he's been very direct about, it's a performance he doesn't have to tell his true feelings. Now how you think we should approach the subject of "people born in the wrong body" is very personal but his joke that the difference between poor black people and poor white people is that poor whites don't believe it should be happening to them says more about privilege than your comment.

No the joke is to contrast something that is accepted as true with something ridiculous and encourage the audience to see trans people as ridiculous.

The whole joke centers on lol trans folk thinking they are who they are is as laughable as Chappelle thinking he's Chinese.

It's just a modified attack helicopter joke.

Chappelle's schtick is to basically joke that trans folk are crazy but they should have the right to be crazy. Which is still transphobic

Middleman

Banned
Jun 14, 2019
Buzzwords? What are you talking about?

Chappelle made a ridiculously transphobic & homophobic special and people are waving away these communities' concerns. Which to me is fucked up. I'm justtrying to find what Chappelle stans' bottom is. And now we're seeing people try to find ways to justify humor in blackface. I'm also trying to make sense of people's thinking around so called comedy that revolves around punching down at marginalized people.
Death, poverty, racism, violence, hunger.

There are ways to see humour in all sorts of subjects. Are you familiar with dark comedy?

Stop pretending you're trying to "make sense" or "trying to find" anything. You just want to browbeat people into either seeing things your way - which isn't going to happen - or trip them up so you can play another misguided gotcha.

You didn't like the special. That's ok. But extending your objection out into "bad things can never be funny and if you think they are, you're condoning them", is just stupid.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
This is phrased as a gotcha question but there's popular media that's used it hilariously in the past decade. It actually helps the point tbh

Thats what people were trying to point out by posting about Tropic Thunder, a comedy that literally has a character in Blackface the whole film, and other TV shows. But these days people see what they want to see. Honestly giving this topic conversation any more is just a waste of time now anyway. Its done, special did well, people enjoyed it, and some folks didnt. Sound exactly like every other comedic routine in the world. Sorry if you didnt like it, but no, folks aren't going to trash/cancel a person over a stand up special you didn't like. Make peace with that, or don't. Im honestly done.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Death, poverty, racism, violence, hunger.

There are ways to see humour in all sorts of subjects. Are you familiar with dark comedy?

Stop pretending you're trying to "make sense" or "trying to find" anything. You just want to browbeat people into either seeing things your way - which isn't going to happen - or trip them up so you can play another misguided gotcha.

You didn't like the special. That's ok. But extending your objection out into "bad things can never be funny and if you think they are, you're condoning them", is just stupid.
Dark comedy is great. Cheap punching down at marginalized people is not.

And we certainly don't need to agree. I would suggest not dismissing people's concerns about this special even if you don't agree with them.

Deleted member 45211

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Man, his bit about Renee from standards-and-practices is so stupid. "Renee" says the network isn't comfortable with him satirically using a slur aimed at gays because he is not gay. They give him leeway to satirically use a slur aimed at black people because he is black. That's not hard to understand, is it? And it's not particularly deep.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Man, his bit about Renee from standards-and-practices is so stupid. "Renee" says the network isn't comfortable with him satirically using a slur aimed at gays because he is not gay. They give him leeway to satirically use a slur aimed at black people because he is black. That's not hard to understand, is it? And it's not particularly deep.

But like what Dave said, he's not that slur.