• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
deadline.com

Dave Chappelle Won’t Have His Name On Theater At High School Alma Mater Amid Controversy; Compares ‘The Closer’ To The Mona Lisa

At the naming ceremony tonight, the comedian announced he would not place his name on theater after all.
The theater building at Duke Ellington School of the Arts in Washington D.C. was to be officially named in a ceremony tonight after one of the school's most famous graduates: Dave Chappelle.

The naming was in consideration of Chappelle's support of the school, especially after he and his friends were the group that raised the most money for the the building.

Chappelle has been the center of controversy after comments in his Netflix special last year were perceived as transphobic. In a visit to Duke Ellington School of the Arts in November, he was even confronted by students there over it.

Well, according to Washington Post columnist Josh Rogin and other reports, at the ceremony tonight the comedian announced he would not place his name on theater after all. Instead he decided it shall be called the Theater for Artistic Freedom and Expression.
"I saw in the newspaper that a man who was dressed in women's clothing threw a pie at the Mona Lisa and tried to deface it. And it made me laugh and I thought, 'It's like The Closer.' "
The amount of spite in this man is insane.

Feb 16, 2022
Why is this asshole so obsessed about this that he reorients his entire career and identity into making transphobic jokes

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Why is this asshole so obsessed about this that he reorients his entire career and identity into making transphobic jokes

It's so wild how fucking big mad he gets over this, it's crazy.

Like I've chatted with people and it's like even if you still really liked Chappelle's comedy you can't possibly be happy with this being his one joke for the last couple years. Like congrats on turning yourself into the One Conservative Joke, hope you're happy.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I don't even understand the joke. What is "The Closer" code for? Isn't that a show that was on TNT?
I think it's the name of his special, I was confused too and was wondering what the TNT show had to do with anything.

I think the joke was a man dressed as a woman disparaged the Mona Lisa and he is comparing that to the outrage over his special. I think that's what he's trying to get at?

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty wild to see someone who threw away a multimillion dollar deal and leave the country because he didn't like the way white people were laughing at his jokes and satire on sensitive topics turn into a lazy transphobic joke machine.

Feb 16, 2022
This is really what it comes down. People with an inflated sense of self worth absolutely cannot stand being told their behavior is wrong, to the point where even if they didn't care that much at first they will make a point of continuing to do it out of spite.
I have a coworker that's exactly like this, damn. These people have such a fragile sense of self that any gust of wind coming their way is seen as a threat.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
He's a petty fragile manbaby who can't deal with criticism from a group of folks he has genuine contempt towards.

He's not doing it for attention / more fame. Same with JKR.

Oct 26, 2017
This is really what it comes down. People with an inflated sense of self worth absolutely cannot stand being told their behavior is wrong, to the point where even if they didn't care that much at first they will make a point of continuing to do it out of spite.
Yep. Pretty much what children do. Chapelle is a grown ass man child.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
www.hollywoodreporter.com

Dave Chappelle Decides Against Having Name Attached to High School Theater After Backlash

The comedian, who faced widespread criticism for anti-trans jokes in his last Netflix special, made the announcement Monday night during a dedication ceremony at the Duke Ellington School of the Arts in D.C., his alma mater.

The Washington Post reported that Chappelle made the announcement at the theater dedication ceremony Monday night at the Duke Ellington School of the Arts, in Washington D.C. The event had been delayed since November after students at the school criticized the comedian for The Closer, which featured a number of jokes that have been widely criticized as transphobic.

At the dedication ceremony, Chappelle directly broached the rift between him and the student body, making it clear he was "hurt" by the backlash. According to HuffPo editor Philip Lewis, Chappelle said, "No matter what they say about The Closer, it is still [one of the] most-watched specials on Netflix," adding that it was a "masterpiece." Lewis wrote that Chappelle described himself as "maybe a once in a lifetime talent." Speaking to the student backlash, Chappelle said "these kids didn't understand that they were instruments of artistic oppression."

He added, "The more you say I can't say something, the more urgent it is for me to say it."

Instead of featuring his name, Chappelle said the venue will be called the Theater for Artistic Freedom and Expression.

This is the guy who once walked away from his entire career when he was much more poignant because white people took his jokes as an excuse to be racist

Now he's reduced to publicly belittling children for not appreciating his genius and his most watched special, decrying them as brainwashed. Accusing them of oppressing him while simulate touting his own genius and success

All while claiming that it is now his moral imperative to shit on trans people because people criticized him for it.

Look at this line

Perceived oppression

They're passing anti trans laws in state after state wnd he's out here calling it perceived oppression, calling children stupid and uninformed and celebrating himself as next level comedy genius with a moral imperative to mock trans people for freedom

When he is running as a Republican for governor

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Same question could be asked of JK Rowling. It's bizzare af that these once beloved creators could just go on being universally popular but they chose this hill to die on.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Plenty of bigots out there to praise him for it so he chooses to just stick with that reality.

People don't have to listen to criticism when they can just find people worshipping their shit instead. Bigots in particularly have absolutely mastered the art of lovebombing, bombarding instances of bigotry with defense and praise and tearing down their detractors, and people constantly fall for it because its the easiest path that requires zero reflection or acknowledgement that they've done something wrong.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Same question could be asked of JK Rowling. It's bizzare af that these once beloved creators could just go on being universally popular but they chose this hill to die on.
When you get called a genius and have your words treated as gospel for years, eventually you begin to believe it, end up unable to comprehend or accept the idea that you might be wrong and end up doubling down repeatedly because you've never learned that shutting up about topics you clearly don't know anything about is a viable option.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprised at all at Chapelle becoming a right wing darling after his snl appearance after trump was elected. "I'm going to give him a chance!"

Guy's been a chud for a while. He really is pathetic, and the antithesis of what comedy is really about. He's the embodiment of the status quo.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
in other news half the problem here is deadline calls the reaction to his special because of "perceived transphobia" while willfully publishing his new/old transphobe joke. And allow him to say "perceived oppression".

The media is complicit and they are truly on mission to wipe us out of existence. Facts.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
Sad some people I know think he was trying to make a point about LGBT progressing faster than black rights in his special when I'm like why even use one against the other in the first place and perpetuating this division?

May 26, 2018

Because he's a fading star whose last grasp on modern popularity is transitioning into new-wave systemic genocide for cruel laughs. Short term smart for the sake of greed, long term suicidal because what he supports will gun for him too.

An awful human being. Better men than me would dare to rehabilitate his complicit hateful ass.

Last edited:

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sad some people I know think he was trying to make a point about LGBT progressing faster than black rights in his special when I'm like why even use one against the other in the first place and perpetuating this division?
True or not beyond there being no reason for oppression Olympics but he has stated things more than once that show he thinks/claims trans issues are a "white thing" which is fucked up, not just because again it's dividing where we need intersectionality, but it also erases the fact that trans women of color whether black or brown or anything else non-white take a disproportionate amount of abuse compared to white trans people (and I say that as a white trans person knowing that while I am in a very dangerous position my non-white sisters are in even more danger they deserve the most protection both from within and from outside community) to the point where black trans people when adjusted for population and percentages are literally the Americans most at risk of getting murdered. And that's not even getting into other countries or other minorities that are not white.

But sure, it's a white thing.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Transphobia really is brain rot. People become obsessed and it wraps itself around everything they do.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
So like is ... is it like he sees a guy in a wig deface a piece of art and he's reminded of the woke mob coming after his special? The Closer is his Mona Lisa?

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Him and JK just continuing to double/triple/quadruple down and erase any speck of credibility they might have once had.

In other news, wanted to look into tickets for the Taylor Hawkins tribute show only to find this prick is doing support. Disappointing.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
imagine being the idiot that doubles down on this shit....

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I'm convinced that transphobia actually kills brain cells, every transphobic person eventually just goes off the deep end.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Wait i thought the school had decided to name it something else, but it was him who retained the right to name it and chose something else instead... this sucks...

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I think a reason (among others already mentioned like being rich and inflated egos, going down the bigot pipeline) why JKR, Dave Chappelle, Jordan Peterson, and dozens of other transphobes keep dying on this hill is because no one talks about their mediocre-to-bad work and are purely giving attention to their bad behaviour so they just resort to reacting to that until they slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob.

Last edited:

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I think a reason (among others already mentioned like being rich and inflated egos, going down the bigot pipeline) why JKR, Dave Chappelle, Jordan Peterson, and dozens of other transphobes keep dying on this hill is because no one talks about their mediocre-to-bad work and are purely giving attention to their bad behaviour so they just resort to reacting to that until they slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob.

Rowling's work is paid attention to way more than she is or ever will be as an individual for better or worse (even with the last Potter movie being a dud, the franchise probably has a lot of life if for nothing else than merchandise and licensing), and Peterson never had any real 'work.' He became famous purely for being 'anti-woke' or whatever, that's basically his sole claim to fame. Chappelle's work is also being talked about, it's his work as a stand up comedian and the terrible anti-trans jokes he tells that is all people talk about. So I don't think this idea really tracks.

Last edited:

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Good thing the kids at Duke Ellington made that stand against their most famous alum.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
This dude will shoehorn in a trans joke every chance he gets. He'll be at the grocery store like "hey can you tell me where the ketchup is? Oh and those trans people, am I right?!" It's weird.