• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Thread has been rebooted because we judge that the substance is worth discussing. The original was locked because we believe the OP was not acting in good faith and was attempting to stir up drama from an unrelated thread.

For the record we have banned members in the past for defending Bowie's sexual proclivities and are prepared to do so again.

Please keep the discussion focused on the subject at hand.

From https://jezebel.com/what-should-we-say-about-david-bowie-and-lori-maddox-1754533894:

The facts are not debatable. Bowie was accused of rape in 1987 by a 30-year-old woman named Wanda Nichols (though never indicted, due to a lack of evidence; through a spokesperson, he called the accusation "ridiculous"), and he participated in a groupie scene that normalized and valorized statutory rape.

Maddox, enthusiastic and starry-eyed a full 43 years later, does not recount her encounter as rape; legally, however, it would have been in the state of California, and a strong subset of today's moral vocabulary dictates that it was, qualitatively, regardless of what Maddox says, an act of coercion—that he was an abuser and a predator no matter what.

From https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Bowie :

In 1976, speaking as The Thin White Duke, Bowie's persona at the time, and "at least partially tongue-in-cheek", he made statements that expressed support for fascism and perceived admiration for Adolf Hitler in interviews with Playboy, NME, and a Swedish publication. Bowie was quoted as saying: "Britain is ready for a fascist leader... I think Britain could benefit from a fascist leader. After all, fascism is really nationalism... I believe very strongly in fascism, people have always responded with greater efficiency under a regimental leadership." He was also quoted as saying: "Adolf Hitler was one of the first rock stars" and "You've got to have an extreme rightfront come up and sweep everything off its feet and tidy everything up."[314][315] Bowie later retracted these comments in an interview with Melody Maker in October 1977, blaming them on mental instability caused by his drug problems at the time, saying: "I was out of my mind, totally, completely crazed."[316]

In the 1980s and 1990s, Bowie's public statements shifted sharply towards anti-racismand anti-fascism. In an interview with MTV in 1983, Bowie criticised the channel for not providing enough coverage of black musicians,[317][318]and the music videos for "China Girl" and "Let's Dance" were described by Bowie as a "very simple, very direct" statement against racism.[319] The album Tin Machine took a more direct stance against fascism and Neo-Nazism, and was criticised for being too preachy.[119]

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Why is the Fascism thing brought up at all if he went completely against it a few years later and said he was whacked out on drugs when he did say it?

Oct 31, 2017
I'm not super knowlegeable about any of this in regards to David Bowie, nor am I a super big David Bowie fan, but I've always thought that his Fascism comments were deliberately antagonistic/subversive/contrarian because he was living as a persona and way deep into a drug rabbit hole. Basically all just an act/performance, rather than genuine opinion, but I don't know.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Most rock stars of the era could probably be classified as pedophiles if you sleeping with under-age girls is that. It's kinda fucked to think about, but I'm sure that happens more often than we ever thought. Still today.

As for his facism comments...it's hard to blame it on drugs at the time. He seemed like a pretty whack dude at some point. And we know that racist stuff was prominent in the UK during that era.

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
God knows if I say something edgelordy and spend 42 years publicly disavowing it with my words and actions, there'll always be a clickbait article ready to bringt it up after my death.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not super knowlegeable about any of this in regards to David Bowie, nor am I a super big David Bowie fan, but I've always thought that his Fascism comments were deliberately antagonistic/subversive/contrarian because he was living as a persona and way deep into a drug rabbit hole. Basically all just an act/performance, rather than genuine opinion, but I don't know.

Yeah the thin white duke was one of his personas/acts

How can this not be known? He had seversl over the years

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I wouldnt be suprised if most of the big artists from the 60s and 70s knowingly and unkowingly slept with minors. Groupie culture is weird

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
I'd argue that the fascism part of the post is trying to provoke outrage here, and it's just a c&p from Wiki anyways. It's clearly always been taken as satire/irony/facetiousness, he distanced himself from those viewpoints, and it distracts from the article which mentions nothing about fascism.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is Kanye legendarily known to be fucked up on drugs?

Is the drugs part the important part? Or is it the actions that Bowie did since then? I feel like it's the latter. So not sure why we shouldn't hold people accountable for things they do while inebriated or high.

So do I, So do a lot of people. That's not really an excuse for the types of things being said.

Neither is being drunk or on drugs honestly.

args

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There was a very very large groupie movement from the 60's up through the 80s. It wasn't that taboo at the time, it's only recently that people have really taken issue with what the rockstars of the past did.
but it's not like pedophilia has become any more or less acceptable over the decades. groupies turned ordinary rockstar dudes into pedophiles because the underaged girls were just hanging around them?

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess Kanye could change tomorrow and say the same thing :/.

Maybe. But Bowie went on to several decades of being an upright dude and consistently disavowing The Thin White Duke. Rehabilitation is usually possible, it's just very expensive. It'll take Kanye a long time to win back any credibility.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
why did so many rockstars back in the day sleep with kids
Most of them didn't or atleast not that were aware of. I imagine when hanging with groupies the artists were less concerned about age as much as when they could snort the next line or shoot another shot of whatever drug they could get. I think it's not fair to ump all rock stars into the same group though. By the 80's though rock artists were alot more careful of that sort of thing, except for a few like Ted Nugent and Gary Glitter.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
but it's not like pedophilia has become any more or less acceptable over the decades. groupies turned ordinary rockstar dudes into pedophiles because the underaged girls were just hanging around them?

The truth at the time was, generally, if the women were backstage and looked to have gone through puberty, they were considered fair game. Whether 15 or 35, no one seemed to really care.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Considering the mods just scolded an individual for bringing up Bowie in an unrelated thread, then locked his thread that he made specifically about Bowie - those of you bringing up Kanye may want to slow your role before you get a stern talking to as well apparently.

As for the topic at hand, the fascism stuff is a bad look but it's hard to say 100% what the intention was. The rape is awful and disgusting, really no way around that.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
Oh, I have researched a lot about David Bowie so Im glad that this thread was finally made.

Was David Bowie a rapist? At a point in his life, yes. He had sexual relationship with multiple girls that were below the 18 or 17 year old range. This is a fact and one that shamefully he never asked forgiveness for.

Was David Bowie a fascist? At a point in his life, also yes. But here is where the questionable part happens.

See, both the rascism and the rapes happened around the mid-70s, and those years were the darkest of Bowie"s life. With a coke addiction that grew stronger continously and a genuine lack of direction in terms of what he wanted to do and what he was as a person (best summarized by the song Who Can I be now? that directly adresses the fact that after Ziggy Stardust he kind of was back to being a person he had "left behind" around 1971). David Bowie, for a few years, stopped being David Bowie, and it was this man that did the horrible things described above.

When, in 1976, Bowie left for Europe and abandoned cocaine, he started to find himself again, creating some of his best music ever as a result of this soul searching. After his years in Germany, he became a new person, one that eventually had a functional marriage and that had a lot of positive political opinions, even if he didnt share them that much after Tin Machine. This new person stayed away from the scandals and focused on the music, aside from a 1987 incident in which he was accused of rape but nothing else came out of it.

So, in his worst moment of his life Bowie was a rapist and eventually a fascist. Can the good he did decades later be remember fondly after learning about his most disgusting actions? That is a question only the reader can answer. I personally will never forgive a rapist, but I also acknowledge that I could not live in a world without his music. Also, what he did in terms of gender helped me to actually explore my expression and discover that I might not be a cis man like I once thought. However, I also understand why someone would want to avoid his music forever, and I cant blame them for it.

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, I have researched a lot about David Bowie so Im glad that this thread was finally made.

Was David Bowie a rapist? At a point in his life, yes. He had sexual relationship with multiple girls that were below the 18 or 17 year old range. This is a fact and one that shamefully he never asked forgiveness for.

Was David Bowie a fascist? At a point in his life, also yes. But here is where the questionable part happens.

See, both the rascism and the rapes happened around the mid-70s, and those years were the darkest of Bowie"s life. With a coke addiction that grew stronger continously and a genuine lack of direction in terms of what he wanted to do and what he was as a person (best summarized by the song Who Can I be now? that directly adresses the fact that after Ziggy Stardust he kind of was back to being a person he had "left behind" around 1971). David Bowie, for a few years, stopped being David Bowie, and it was this man that did the horrible things described above.

When, in 1976, Bowie left for Europe and abandoned cocaine, he started to find himself again, creating some of his best music ever as a result of this soul searching. After his years in Germany, he became a new person, one that eventually had a functional marriage and that had a lot of positive political opinions, even if he didnt share them that much after Tin Machine. This new person stayed away from the scandals and focused on the music, aside from a 1987 incident in which he was accused of rape but nothing else came out of it.

So, in his worst moment of his life Bowie was a rapist and eventually a fascist. Can the good he did decades later be remember fondly after learning about his most disgusting actions? That is a question only the reader can answer. I personally will never forgive a rapist, but I also acknowledge that I could not live in a world without his music. Also, what he did in terms of gender helped me to actually explore my expression and discover that I might not be a cis man like I once thought. However, I also understand why someone would want to avoid his music forever, and I cant blame them for it.

How much below 17 and 18? Because here in the UK, where I'm guessing most of this happened, the legal age of consent is 16.

Oct 27, 2017
He said stupid shit and then learned from it. Much respect to him for that. The rape shit you dont grow out of. If you raped, you're a rapist for life.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 day): unreasonable hostility towards another user
How much below 17 and 18? Because here in the UK, where I'm guessing most of this happened, the legal age of consent is 16.

Congrats to the UK on their bad laws and congrats to you on your broken morality that privileges what is legal over what is good.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Maybe the drugs played part in it, but seems like your typical ignorant and obnoxious phase. He was probably an attempt at being edgy, since he was reinventing his brand quite a lot. Either way, he went back on it as it clearly bombed and he seemingly didn't believe it anyway.

The other stuff though? I don't care how commonplace it might have been in that whole scene. Fuck that guy.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The Duke persona was that, a persona and a well known cokelord at that. He said a lot of stupid shit during that time and he regretted it later once he sobbered up.

And it is lower than that in some parts of Europe.

So these "rapes" took place in Europe or USA? And were they rapes only because of the age or he did force the girls? I'm confused.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
The Duke persona was that, a persona and a well known cokelord at that. He said a lot of stupid shit during that time and he regretted it later once he sobbered up.

So these "rapes" took place in Europe or USA? And were they rapes only because of the age or he did force the girls? I'm confused.

The stuff in the OP mentions California and even the girl said she wasn't raped but there's a lot of talk about being coerced into having sex by Bowie. It's all kind of muddy and bad.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lori_Mattix

The rock scene in the 60s and 70s and even 80s was shady as hell. Just look at Don Henley from The Eagles, and the corrupt detective involved in covering him crimes by him and other celebrities. http://articles.latimes.com/1994-07-24/news/mn-19382_1_golden-boy

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
The fascism thing is a non issue. The fucking of hundreds of underage boys / girls is another thing, entirely.

Deleted member 11018

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Defense of pedophilia.
Drugs make people pedophiles/fascists?
Some Drugs can break your self imposed boundaries. It doesn t even have to be illegal... Some people can be violent and rape-bordering under alcohol while they are calm and composed when sober.
It can also cloud your analysis of the situation, 14 or 40 one could just see a mate to copulate with, and you wouldn t even remember it.

Age of consent is BS, kids can have all the fun among themselves, just let them explore without influencing them. It's so much more fun for them.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Man that's fucking bad. It was another time, but shit, it's not an excuse. She remembers it fondly but she was a fucking child ffs.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Some Drugs can break your self imposed boundaries. It doesn t even have to be illegal... Some people can be violent and rape-bordering under alcohol while they are calm and composed when sober.
It can also cloud your analysis of the situation, 14 or 40 one could just see a mate to copulate with, and you wouldn t even remember it.
That is not a valid excuse.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure every member of the Beatles and Rolling Stones were at some point pedophiles as well.
Not excusing it but just pointing it out. 60s and 70s rock bands knew no bounds.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
So these "rapes" took place in Europe or USA?

It's not the clearest of articles, in this sense. The way this is phrased:

Maddox, enthusiastic and starry-eyed a full 43 years later, does not recount her encounter as rape; legally, however, it would have been in the state of California

doesn't explicitly state it happened in California, but Maddox herself is quoted

We got to the Beverly Hilton and all went up to Bowie's enormous suite...

So, Beverly Hills, California.