• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
Good on him, Blizzard (specifically Diablo devs) have been douchebags to him in the past.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I remember the comments from a former Diablo 3 Lead saying fuck him before it got deleted years ago. I'm with the original creator on this as well.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
I remember the comments from a former Diablo 3 Lead saying fuck him before it got deleted years ago. I'm with the original creator on this as well.

Had almost forgot about that

ZTVf35I.png

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
The story in D1 and D2 aren't exactly Shakespeare but they beat the pants off of the shit they pulled in 3. They had bad blood even before everything else came to light which makes a boycott a no brainer.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019

ZTVf35I.png
I just read that interview where he talks about his original thoughts on Diablo III. I think he was honest about it and it seems like the Diablo III team took exception to it. Pretty bad for the Game Director to say 'fuck that loser'. I wouldn't expect David to support them anyways and it just shows how bad the atmosphere was back then too. The whole company should be restructured from the top down.

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
I've had a lot of respect for Brevik for years. Used to love watching him stream Marvel Heroes and talk about development, and he always seemed like such a classy dude. Glad all the vile shit has seemed before his time and he's vocal about washing his hands of it.

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
Good on him, it'd be easy to say nothing but him being outspoken about it is another helpful voice in the choir against Activision-Blizzard and their rotten environment. Regarding his career: David Brevik eventually made Marvel Heroes so Hellgate: London is forgiven.

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
I've never played Diablo 2 but it was a game my best friend enjoyed back in the day and always tried to get me to try it. I was strictly a console gamer at the time and only had a laptop that would have been miserable to try and play it on. After he passed I put it on my list of games I absolutely must play so I've been waiting for a PC set up that would support it (comfy couch I don't think would have worked) and then the Remaster was announced so I decided to wait for that. I might not have the nostalgia boost for Diablo 2 like most people excited for Resurrected, but I've certainly been waiting a long time for it with a bunch of sentimental value.

I'm with Brevik. I'll continue to wait until Activision gets all of its toxic shit rooted out so I can feel comfortable giving them my money. If I can cut a specific Wendy's out of my life for screwing up my order one too many times, I can cut Activision no problem.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I feel really bad for the team that was vicarious visions
they got roped into this bullshit by being folded into blizzard

Oct 26, 2017
Good. I really hope this game does poorly, but I have little faith. I've replayed this game so many times, and have so many fond memories. I'm not giving them a fucking penny.

Rainer516

Oct 29, 2017
Hellgate was extremely forward looking. Well ahead of its time.
It was a proto-Destiny before Destiny perfected that framework and gameplay loop with new technology.

Good on him for this stance.

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
Pretty sure I remember HG:L had big time funding issues half way through development and the game released much earlier than it should have.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
Good on Brevik for saying this. While it seems that there was some bad blood between Brevik and parts of Blizzard before all of this, getting the creator of the series you're working on to actively disregard you due to the company's myriad failings speaks volumes.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
Hellgate was extremely forward looking. Well ahead of its time.
It was a proto-Destiny before Destiny perfected that framework and gameplay loop with new technology.

Good on him for this stance.
Doesn't matter. Clearly what matters is that it flopped and that's the only important part to these industry folks. Clearly.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017

ZTVf35I.png

I remembered the "fuck that loser" comment but man I'd forgotten what a wall of salt that was.

That was the point where it was obvious that Blizzard was a bunch of new school devs with rockstar attitudes rather than anything to do with the people who made the classics. And that was many years ago now.

A nasty culture festered there for so long. But it's still shocking how openly abusive it apparently was. What a shithole.

love how people are ragging on David for Hellgate London but Jay Wilson was lead designer on fucking Blood 2 lmao

One of the worst sequels of all time. Many here haven't played it and never will so trust me when I say that being involved with it is far more of a stain than the most dire games with Breivik's name on it.

And then of course he did the original version of Diablo 3, a game that sold incredibly well on the back of Blizzard North's reputation. And instantly led to a major backlash that now appears to be the turning point for Blizzard's reputation from a software perspective. These shittalkers oversaw the beginning of the end for the studio's infallible image.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
While that is appreciated, David Brevik has been talking shit about Blizzard and all things Diablo for decades now and quite a bit of it was petty. Even the already linked infamous Jay Wilson reply was in response to just that.

Ont

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I just can't fathom how stupid these people are posting all this publicly, I would never hore anyone of them, hope all of em crash and burn with Blizzard

Jay Wilson is known to anyone who followed the development of Diablo 3. He is no longer with Blizzard and I assume same is true for the others.

I certainly hope none of them are working on D4.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Would have loved to know what he thinks about some of the visual changes, but good on him to take a stand

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I just read that interview where he talks about his original thoughts on Diablo III. I think he was honest about it and it seems like the Diablo III team took exception to it. Pretty bad for the Game Director to say 'fuck that loser'. I wouldn't expect David to support them anyways and it just shows how bad the atmosphere was back then too. The whole company should be restructured from the top down.

Yeah the worst part about that whole interview "scandal" was just how thinskinned the D3 devs were. Brevik pretty much said "they didn't make the game I would have made" which, duh. They acted like anything other than fawning praise was utter betrayal.

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
What am I looking at exactly? It looks like Diablo 3 devs shitting on David Brevik? But I don't know what the context is.

That's exactly what it is. The context was just that Brevik was interviewed and said he wouldn't have made the same decisions if he were making Diablo 3. That's it.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
What am I looking at exactly? It looks like Diablo 3 devs shitting on David Brevik? But I don't know what the context is.
Brevik gave an interview (linked in that exchange) where he talked about how he wasn't a fan of D3 and the decisions the team made with the game. It just wasn't the game he would have made. Jay Wilson and the other devs on the team did not take Brevik's criticism well.

Isn't he the creator of Marvel Heroes?
Yep, Brevik joined Gazillion to dev Marvel Heroes.

For those curious, this is what Brevik hoped to do with Diablo 3 had he had the opportunity.