• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR

It's not the first time that he implies that, nor the last time that he will, or even a novelty for him to talk about themes that aren't exactly in his games (USgamer:
Does Detroit Become Human's David Cage Actually Know What His Game is About?
).
It's not that Detroit didn't talk about that (or did it well or not), it's more the implication that it had never been done before that makes it ridiculous.

An easy reply to that question (could video games talk about those topics?) that has already been done to death is of course Nier Automata, but talking about segregation and humanism, doing parallels (hamfisted or not) with our society, the right to be different... has already been done in other video games (including previous games in the Nier/Drakengard franchise). The Deus Ex and Bioshock franchises are also big examples for some of those themes, same thing for the Shin Megami Tensei franchise.

These themes are not only recurring in Japanese science fiction/fantasy games, but also in multiple classic western RPGs. What are some of your favorite games talking about "such serious things"?

edit:
by popular demand (or incomprehension), here's this other tweet to clarify Mr Cage's thoughts on the matter:

Last edited:

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
With all due respect, I don't see how he's saying his game is the only one that talks about those subjects, he just says that few videogames do (which is true) because of the stigma towards videogames as story tellers, and that his is one of those.

At least that's my interpretation.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I've not played it (need to get around to it!) but I'm dimly aware that Paul O'Brian's LASH touches on some related concepts.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't he have an interview before that said that it wasn't about anything in particular and any parallels to civil rights or racism were just coincidences, then he proceeded to put "We have a dream" as a message option and put the androids at the back of the bus?

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
Where exactly did David Cage once again imply that Detroit talked about never before seen themes in video games? But there are not a lot of games that deal with such themes especially tackling all of them in a single game.

PlzUninstall

Oct 30, 2017
Play some Nier Automata, Mr Cage. It will blow your small world. Makes Detroit Become Human look like a kids rendition of Romeos and Juliets.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guy is pretentious but I don't see anything on that tweet that implies what you're accusing him off OP?

Deleted member 4609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't he have an interview before that said that it wasn't about anything in particular and any parallels to civil rights or racism were just coincidences, then he proceeded to put "We have a dream" as a message option and put the androids at the back of the bus?

Yes.

Despite this, however, director David Cage told me that he's not trying to make a game with an overtly political message, nor is he heavily drawing on real world history or politics as influences.

"The story I'm telling is really about androids," he told me in an interview after the demo. "They're discovering emotions and wanting to be free. If people want to see parallels with this or that, that's fine with me. But my story's about androids who want to be free."

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
He described Detroit as "like Blade Runner except this time the robots are the good guys". The man is not capable of understanding the stories we would recommend.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Now that this guy isn't a PlayStation exclusive, he won't have as many blind defenders anymore.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think he's saying what you think he is, OP.

Regardless, in any case, I guess the Deus Ex series is a good suggestion.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
While David Cage isn't as nuanced or clever as he seems to think he is, people are always desperate to shit on him. I don't see anything wrong with that tweet. It doesn't appear he's claiming Detroit is the only game to talk about those things.

He also has a point about domestic violence since there was a fairly significant backlash against that scene when it was first shown pre-release, with many suggesting it's not right to be included in a video game.

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
He'd fit in pretty well here with some of you, tbh.

BYl3.gif

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He also has a point about domestic violence since there was a fairly significant backlash against that scene when it was first shown pre-release, with many suggesting it's not right to be included in a video game.
People concern was Cage lacks the nuance and subtlety to tackle that subject, not that it's wrong to be included

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
David Cage should be in the same tier as Tommy Wiseau but he probably has too many talented people surrounding him for people to fully notice what a hack he is

Tomma18

Banned
May 29, 2018

It's not the first time that he implies that, nor the last time that he will, or even a novelty for him to talk about themes that aren't exactly in his games (USgamer:
Does Detroit Become Human's David Cage Actually Know What His Game is About?
).
It's not that Detroit didn't talk about that (or did it well or not), it's more the implication that it had never been done before that makes it ridiculous.

An easy reply to that question (could video games talk about those topics?) that has already been done to death is of course Nier Automata, but talking about segregation and humanism, doing parallels (hamfisted or not) with our society, the right to be different... has already been done in other video games (including previous games in the Nier/Drakengard franchise). The Deus Ex and Bioshock franchises are also big examples for some of those themes, same thing for the Shin Megami Tensei franchise.

These themes are not only recurring in Japanese science fiction/fantasy games, but also in multiple classic western RPGs. What are some of your favorite games talking about "such serious things"?

And i'd recommend you actually read what he said.....

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With all due respect, I don't see how he's saying his game is the only one that talks about those subjects, he just says that few videogames do (which is true) because of the stigma towards videogames as story tellers, and that his is one of those.

"Could a video game talk about such serious things?" implies that it was a question that was still unanswered when he set out to make Detroit which, in turn, implies that no game had done that before. Because if a game had previously talked about such serious things then that would've already answered his question.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd prefer it if they could stick to a couple/few less ambitious themes and execute them very well rather than what they're doing with regards to Heavy Rain and Detroit because... yeah those games weren't great.

I can admire the intention but the execution is too often poor.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France

" Could a video game talk about such serious things?
#Happy22QD "
I read the hashtag has an answer to the question. And the answer is : yes, QD done it and he is refering to all the previous games.
So, at least, he is speaking about his studio and not himself. Maybe he improved at life and will be a good human being just before he die.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca

Fully agreed. The tweet is harmless, maybe a little clumsily written and too blunt, but that's Cage's English for you. OP seems very eager to twist his words into something that he can attack him for.

He'd fit in pretty well here with some of you, tbh.

Heh.

cmChimera

Oct 28, 2017
I could see this as an implication that video games don't talk about serious issues or just a sentence saying that they were wondering if they could talk about those issues during development of the game. The former would be condescending and ignorant of the breadth of topics video game stories deal with, but the latter is just fine.

Deleted member 4609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Could a video game talk about such serious things?" implies that it was a question that was still unanswered when he set out to make Detroit which, in turn, implies that no game had done that before. Because if a game had previously talked about such serious things then that would've already answered his question.

There's also this

which, lmao.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I love Cage's tweets and I love his delusions. I legit find it hilarious when people have such overblown egos about the things they've made, when it isn't justified at all.

Oct 27, 2017
Cage says dumb stuff but I take that comment more as that games in general don't talknabout those topics often not that Detroit is 100% the only one to do so

I really don't see a lot of games talk about Slavery, civil rights, etc others do but I think it's a good thing Detroit does. Enjoyed the game more than I thought

OP
OP
Eolz

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
And i'd recommend you actually read what he said.....
and other similar replies not getting the implication:
another poster already said it well above, but
We learnt from philosophers, Plato, Nietzsche, Aristotle, and many others. We wanted to talk about our society, about segregation, discrimination, domestic violence, the right to be different, humanism.
Could a video game talk about such serious things?
The philosopher bit implies that Detroit tried things that only literature could do.
"Could a video game talk about such serious things?" confirms the implication that "no game dared talk about this before, or did it well", which, well, is pretty obviously wrong. It's not deep.
There's also this

which, lmao.

This too, but this was even more ridiculous and getting examples would be too easy.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Amazing and huge props to David De Gruttola for proving that videogames can be art, finally, this conversation has been settled.
Truly, the greatest auteur of our generation.