• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Let's face it, his last project that wasn't simply a command from a studio was Benjamin Button. Since then he's basically a mercenary, taking money for big studio projects.

Gone Girl, House of Cards and Mindhunter were "big studio projects"? They seem pretty much in-line with the rest of his filmography in terms of scale and tone.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they film a bunch of it in Glasgow again. It made my walks to uni real weird for a while.

The Leewit

Oct 27, 2017
Nice indeed...maybe he's seen the script and likes what he's seen. I'm not looking for any book adaptation at this point...just a great visual popcorn flick with a pinch of gravitas and heart.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Didn't Benjamin Button spend a decade in development hell under many different directors, and he wound up being the one guy willing to say yes after all that? It's hard to see any kind of real passion there for the material beyond the visual effects work.

Reviving a dead project is not like being the one accepting the hot current script. Seven was also a dead project, but he clearly had s special interest in those.

Gone Girl, House of Cards and Mindhunter were "big studio projects"? They seem pretty much in-line with the rest of his filmography in terms of scale and tone.

House in cards really ? lol. That's pure mainstream money here. And it was never really good. Also i hated Gone Gril but that's just me.
Fincher was basically doing things against the studio at some point. He's at that age where he's more willing to play the game.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wish his name could excite me at this point, but it just doesn't.

I'll wait for reviews. First one was barely competent, and sadly nothing like the book at all.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Fincher's filmography is mostly well made schlock. How is this movie going to be any different?

This is wildly underselling Fincher's output and genre films in general. Just because he strays towards genre/high concept films over straight dramas doesn't mean they're not filled to the brim with substance and thoughtfulness. These are not high production-valhe b-films.

Seven, Fight Club, Zodiac, The Social Network and Gone Girl are all endlessly fascinating films with heaps going on beyond their immediate craft.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
This is wildly underselling Fincher's output and genre films in general. Just because he strays towards genre/high concept films over straight dramas doesn't mean they're not filled to the brim with substance and thoughtfulness. These are not high production-valhe b-films.

Seven, Fight Club, Zodiac, The Social Network and Gone Girl are all endlessly fascinating films with heaps going on beyond their immediate craft.
I said mostly. Seven and Gone Girl are exactly b-movie material. Fight Club is put on a pedestal because people think Palahniuk's Gender Studies 101 musings are interesting.

OP
OP
Scullibundo

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Let's face it, his last project that wasn't simply a command from a studio was Benjamin Button. Since then he's basically a mercenary, taking money for big studio projects.
This is the dumbest shit I've read in a while.

Sony literally rebooted Dragon Tattoo after how much Fincher clashed with them to see his vision through. They axed an all star cast of players including Fincher, Steven Zaillian, Craig and Mara and retooled the series into a B movie franchise, all because they refused to go through it all with Fincher again.

Gone Girl being a hack workman-like job is also a ridiculous notion.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017

apstyl

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like Paramount is being gun shy after a few misfires at the BO. Regardless, this studio hemming and hawing is what will push talent like Fincher to be Netflix exclusive. Now with Roma perhaps on the cusp of showing the streaming giant can be a place for prestige film and creative freedom, I can see Fincher staying with Netflix for good. Gimme Mindhunters S2, is all I'm saying.