• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

razt99

Jan 7, 2021
So Forspoken hits early next year... I'm guessing we might not get FFXVI till Fall 2022 then

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At this point I think everyone knew XVI was early 2022 at the earliest so this isn't that surprising.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i dont think thats entirely true, like we have dragon quest dai no daiboken releasing 3 games, ff7 releasing spin offs, the world ends with you sequel

i think this talks about AAA games and not major ips

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany

Aloy38

Jul 31, 2020
I just want a new Tomb Raider game :(

(Square Enix still make that series, right?)

tucah

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody really should have expected the big sequels before March 22 anyway, this isn't a shock. There's still tons of existing IP stuff coming out - Endwalker, Infinity Strash, TWEWY2, FF7R:I, LIS3.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I am fine with this, we have FF14 Expansion this fall, ForSpoken probably early 2022 and then FF16 after that.

SirShorse

Jul 16, 2020
There's also supposedly a Kingdom Hearts 20th anniversary project being released either next year or 2023

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
XVI seemed like one of those games that would make a November release in normal times, but would only take a little bit of covid delay to fall to next year. Dragon Quest I don't think I expected within the next year to begin with.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Not surprising. Before Sony removed 3rd party release dates from their CES 2021 trailer( or end screen), it had forspoken, now known as Project Athia for January 2022.

I just hope Square don't make an EGS exclusive and Screw over a lot of PC users again...but i don't have a lot of expectations that they won't screw their PC release for more money..

Oct 31, 2017
What about Mel Gibson
c3749c73c5df5132ae4102e13b10d1f4.jpg

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm expecting FF XVI to be mid 2022. Or maybe April, like VII Remake.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I think SE's statement doesn't rule that out. They are speaking from fiscal year standpoint so their comments are always like "year ending in March".
Yeah, this is what I was thinking about, then just looked it up and it was expected Jan 2022 before this so, lol.

If thats the case, no need to rush it for this year then.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I just want a new Tomb Raider game :(

(Square Enix still make that series, right?)

yeah SE is also regular happy about that franchises performance (even though back then they went all idiotic on the first one underperforming at first)

save to assume theres more of it coming

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
I think FFXVI will hit late 2022 or early 2023 after Forsaken releases around early 2022

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I don't quite understand the tweet. Square Enix is surprised? Who is announcing this? What does "surprised at results" mean?

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
What is this guy quoting? Is there a source besides this tweet? Not that I don't believe him but if we could see where this statement came from we might be able to infer more. Like...is it in the FY report? And if so where?

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
People who expected FFXVI same year as Endwalker were delusional.

We had insiders saying it was coming earlier than we expected, so I don't think it was a stretch at all for people to think 2021.

I think "expected" was probably leaning a bit too hard into the memes of people expecting it to come out in like 2025 now that ffXVI is almost assuredly coming out next year tho.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
FF16 might have made this year in normal times but I could see April/May if it was delayed. And spaces it out from Forspoken if that's January like that early Sony trailer mentioned.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
We had insiders saying it was coming earlier than we expected, so I don't think it was a stretch at all for people to think 2021.

I think "expected" was probably leaning a bit too hard into the memes of people expecting it to come out in like 2025 now that ffXVI is almost assuredly coming out next year tho.
We never had another FF launch same year as a XIV expansion, it doesnt make sense.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I think XVI probably just missed the window and will be May/June. It would fit with a 6 month delay from the end of 2021.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I was expecting a full reveal at E3 for FFXVI, a new trailer, CE reveal and a release date of later this year or before March next year.

I thought it was revealed it was further along than we all thought.

Edge_Maverick

Oct 25, 2017
What is this guy quoting? Is there a source besides this tweet? Not that I don't believe him but if we could see where this statement came from we might be able to infer more. Like...is it in the FY report? And if so where?
It's most likely their presentation to investors and stuff that happened yesterday. By the end of the month we should get their "Outline of Results" in which they answer questions and give more details regarding plans for their next fiscal year. Square's CEO probably said that their focus will be on new IP's until March 2022. We'll see in a few weeks.

Jimmypython

Oct 27, 2017
FF14 EndWalker and FF7R Intermission will be enough for me this year anyway, for major new titles at least.

For FF16 this year, I just need some major info dump, which I am sure will happen soon.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
We never had another FF launch same year as a XIV expansion, it doesnt make sense.

That never seemed like a hard rule by any means though. Have I missed where they said they weren't going to ever do that? It's not like they don't have big releases in years or fiscal years of expansions in the past.

And 2022+ is certainly not earlier than many people expected, so it made sense to consider 2021 going by insider's words.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
DQ12 I'm assuming will be announced but not out til 2023 earliest.

FF16 is likely holiday 2022 is my gut feeling. Maybe next spring/summer but yeah after March.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I'd been betting on Spring 2022 for XVI, but this still bums me out. Like, obviously all this means is the game not releasing before March, but I kinda have the fear that it might slip into late 2022.

In any case, yeah, maybe that Forspoken date during the Sony slide is actually current and not a mistake or, as I thought, a pre-Covid target.