• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That argument is a bit nonsense, but I can see the perspective. The thing is, if your argument hinges on Uncharted 1 and Uncharted 4 being mechanically similar on a superficial level, that kind of reductivist point can be made about anything to drive a narrative. It's not an honest argument.

Oct 25, 2017
"ERA posters dismiss developer opinion with decades of experience based on a thread title and their dislike of his last couple games instead of listening to his points"

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Saying "sequels to AAA games are all the same" and "AAA games are dying" seem like two very different thoughts and I'm not sure they're related.

Oct 25, 2017
Coming from a guy that has been trying to chase nostalgia dollars since he got kicked off being lead of the God of War franchise this is a real hot take.

Does anyone remember Calling All Cars? How about that bad Twisted Metal reboot? Or his awesome arena shooter Drawn to Death?

You know, the one that got savaged in reviews and that nobody played so it got shut down.

When nobody wants to fund your projects anymore because they completely miss the mark and everyone stops caring about you, you start a low-effort YouTube show and spout hot takes about games better than yours and developers better than you.

Can't wait until Jaffe, Dyack, and Clifford get together to start 'Pretty Bad Developers', the hottest YouTube channel for washed creative leads.

Go make a bad battle royale game for mobile with some big food company in Asia or something, Jaffe.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Is this just sour grapes for the new God of War succeeding in part because it called out all of the bullshit baggage the series carried from GoW1 through...what was it, seven games of senseless rage and sex minigames?

Like, Jaffe. Dude.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i'm halfway through and he's not talking about sales y'all, check out the video.

Good to know you can cherrypick a sequence from one AAA videogame series, and that spells doom for the entire market.

i mean, do you really feel like AAA games have been innovative? personally, i think mainstream games are even less innovative than mainstream movies and music

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
So I"m down the David Jaffe rabbit hole. He's ranting about Thanksgiving his YT podcast lol.

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Why did he reject working on the new God of War is beyond me, he had an opportunity to innovate right there...

Sliver

Oct 27, 2017
People should be banned for dumping their opinions in here based on the title alone. Fucking dreadful thread.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
The eg he used made no sense to say AAA dying .
The form of AAA games will change like how we all moving to GaaS but there will always be AAA games.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing particularly insightful about those comments. I was expecting a lot more in depth analysis about the trajectory of the industry, coming from someone like Jaffe.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Jaffe is gonna get crapped on here, but a lot of AAA franchises are certainly guilty of this. Doesn't make them bad, but there has been some stagnation and apathy towards them interest as far as my interest goes.

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
i'm halfway through and he's not talking about sales y'all, check out the video.

i mean, do you really feel like AAA games have been innovative? personally, i think mainstream games are even less innovative than mainstream movies and music
I would say you can expand this into Indie games. Despite what a few innovative games, the rest are basically taken from other games, but looks different or try to take different things from different games that AAA do too.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe somebody who has could summarize it for those of us who cannot watch a video!

The gist: AAA games are sorely lacking in innovation.

80% of the comments on first page are indicative of people not watching the video and just being weirdly negative for no god damn reason. The Ralph Breaks the Internet comment scene comes to mind. Damn shame.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Summary:

Jaffe compares Uncharted 1 versus Uncharted 4 using two areas each. A climbing sequence in Uncharted and a climbing sequence in Uncharted 4. The other comparison is a shooting set piece.

He then says he loves ND and they have great execution, but he's not singling them out. He's just more familiar with the franchise since he played them all.

He's aware they have improved some--better storytelling, set pieces, mechanics, but that's not enough for him.

He says he loves the games but is tired to the same thing. He mentions it's the same thing with Far Cry, Gears of War and other AAA franchises and the gaming press should call it out.

No where does he mentions sales. He's talking as a gamer mostly.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Why did he reject working on the new God of War is beyond me, he had an opportunity to innovate right there...

Dude was an absolute shit heel to work with on the first game. Any belief that Sony would want him back on one of their flagship games after that is misguided. He also has had several major bombs under them. The direction of the new God of War is all thanks to the genius of Cory Barlog, who previously made the best God of War with God of War 2

Rathorial

Oct 28, 2017
There will always be a market for AAA games, but he's not wrong how little Uncharted has changed mechanically over time.

The only major mechanical additions to 4 was a rope, and driving a car during part of the game. Everything else were iterative improvements to the same core mechanics and systems. The series never had a GoW 2018 or AC: Origins gameplay shakeup.

Oct 25, 2017
Was he offered that opportunity?

I don't know, given his last decade of decisions and feelings about AAA development, I think the game was in better hands with Barlog and without Jaffe influence. Like, if Drawn to Death still reflects his sensibilities, is he the right fit for something like GOW 2018?

J_Macgrady

Oct 25, 2017
That Uncharted argument is silly. Why would games in the same franchise play drastically different from one another? I've only seen that happen with Resident Evil.

OP
OP
Borowski

Borowski

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Jun 24, 2018
Jaffe is gonna get crapped on here, but a lot of AAA franchises are certainly guilty of this. Doesn't make them bad, but there has been some stagnation and apathy towards them interest as far as my interest goes.

I partially agree with him

Look at the Far Cry series. It's basically always the same game with a new skin on top

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hes washed up, not sure why anyone gives this guy any credence. AAA gaming is costly but then they're just as alive of not more so if you look at the popularity of home consoles and the type of games that dominate them.

No. His game is though.

Dead.

Oct 25, 2017
I think Jaffe is super smart, was hoping for a video with some depth or analysis though. This is basically saying nothing besides sequels in AAA series playing similar to each other. Duh.

I do like that he calls out critics though. They give 9/10 or 10/10 to the same games over and over again. RDR2 got away with murder on the gameplay front.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
No where does the mentions sales. He's talking as a gamer mostly.
Yeah. But we also live in 2018, where a title like that is either made intentionally or ignorantly. If you want your point to be taken seriously, you make an actual worthwhile title coherently summarizing your thesis, and you use more than a single clear example of what you're talking about. There's no depth here. No proper analysis.

Everything about the video and its all-caps title is basically meant to rile people up and seek attention, as it has successfully done (to a certain extent).

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would say you can expand this into Indie games. Despite what a few innovative games, the rest are basically taken from other games, but looks different or try to take different things from different games that AAA do too.
and i'm super thankful for indie game devs and mostly buy indie at this point, but both the music and movie industries maintain wildly innovative indie scenes but also still manage to have somewhat innovative pop/mainsteam content as well. the videogame industry however, doest not.

Oct 25, 2017
Summary:

Jaffe compares Uncharted 1 versus Uncharted 4 using two areas each. A climbing sequence in Uncharted and a climbing sequence in Uncharted 4. The other comparison is a shooting set piece.

He then says he loves ND and they have great execution, but he's not singling them out. He's just more familiar with the franchise since he played them all.

He's aware they have improved some--better storytelling, set pieces, mechanics, but that's not enough for him.

He says he loves the games but is tired to the same thing. He mentions it's the same thing Far Cry and other AAA franchises and the gaming press should call it out.

No where does the mentions sales. He's talking as a gamer mostly.
Thank you.

Does he use the word "dying" or is that just a poor thread title? It's not an appropriate word unless he's talking about sales decline and eventual extinction of certain game types. Being tired of something doesn't mean it's dying.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Not being able to distinguish the mechanical differences between Uncharted 1 and 4 is something I expect from a random forum poster, not the game designer that helped create God of War.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
As an expert on dead games, I guess I have to respect his opinion on the topic.

/snark

AAA games are not dying. And the Uncharted comparisons he's making are just silly.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funny because uncharted 4's shooting and overall combat design is a pretty big leap over the first 3 games which had a lot of bullshit like enemies spawning behind you and an over reliance on heavy enemies and enemy waves. The actual environments are much better built as well and allow for swinging around on drake's rope and using stealth which was a super limited option in 1-3.