• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Thank you.

Does he use the word "dying" or is that just a poor thread title? It's not an appropriate word unless he's talking about sales decline and eventual extinction of certain game types. Being tired of something doesn't mean it's dying.
That's the title of his video in his personal YT channel. Looks like it was a stream he did and placed it on his YT channel from the stream.

But dying here is mostly expressed as creatively bankrupt.

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
That Uncharted argument is silly. Why would games in the same franchise play drastically different from one another? I've only seen that happen with Resident Evil.

Even games on the same series can do more changes without changing genres or having drastic changes. Hell, the game on your avatar is an example of that, one of the original fears of DMCV was that it would be only end up being a DMC4.5 with prettier graphics.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It just blows my mind that he wouldn't talk about God of War evolving, but I get wanting to distance himself. Still, GoW took a different approach and fucking knocked it out of the park.

Deleted member 34239

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 24, 2017
As someone who loves the Uncharted series, he's not wrong. You can tell who actually watched the video and who didn't. Then again, I think fans expect games in a particular series to have similar mechanics between iterations. It's what they're drawn too but, his point does highlight the lack of significant gameplay innovation that occurs from iteration to iteration.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, because I did not say that. I said that it does not spell doom for the AAA industry.

Good to know you can cherrypick a sequence from one AAA videogame series, and that spells doom for the entire market.

considering the video was about the lack of innovation in the AAA space and you're calling out jaffe for using that scene when there's probably another 5000 examples he could have used, yeah, your comment seems silly to me.

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
We are at this point where publishers are terrified of a game bombing if it has AAA $100mil+ budget, so most games can feel somewhat samey, which happens more with third party publishers though. Using Uncharted climbing as an example for his point is odd.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I partially agree with him

Look at the Far Cry series. It's basically always the same game with a new skin on top

With the new one being the best selling one if i remember right .
Which shows how little gamers care about innovation even more so in the AAA space if you look at other titles .
Plus i don't think people expect every game from a series to wilding different .

Oct 25, 2017
He's saying AAA games are dying to him, as in he doesn't find them interesting anymore. Which is a fair stance to have nowadays. A lot of western AAA games are f***ing dull design wise. God of War was such a breath of fresh air in that regard, they made something that played very differently from the established GoW formula.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
That Uncharted argument is silly. Why would games in the same franchise play drastically different from one another? I've only seen that happen with Resident Evil.
Final Fantasy is a good example of this. They rarely play like the previous games. The NES Marios as well. All very different art styles, mechanics, and so on. Although I'm cheating with Super Mario Brothers 2. USA.

Oct 27, 2017
Dude was an absolute shit heel to work with on the first game. Any belief that Sony would want him back on one of their flagship games after that is misguided. He also has had several major bombs under them. The direction of the new God of War is all thanks to the genius of Cory Barlog, who previously made the best God of War with God of War 2

IIRC Shannon Studstill considered him for the God of War soft reboot.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
AAA games are absolutely dying, but there will be a handful of em yearly for quite a while.

They're basically the Hollywood summer blockbuster sure bet of gaming, although there won't be as many of em as there are movies.

Not every AAA game sucks yet, but soon we'll reach the dream.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Misleading thread title, but I agree with his points 100%. A more appropriate title might be "AAA games are losing their innovation, and I don't wanna make em anymore."

It's why I applaud games like the latest couple Assassins Creed titles. They aren't perfect in many ways and definitely lift ideas from other games, but they go out of their way to utilize new ideas and shake up the core gameplay. More and more I also find most big releases 'boring' even if they are beautiful and mechanically sound.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not being able to distinguish the mechanical differences between Uncharted 1 and 4 is something I expect from a random forum poster, not the game designer that helped create God of War.
having played 2, 3, and 4 i'm surprised that someone would argue that they're not incredibly similar gameplay wise. and i say that a fan of series.

OP
OP
Borowski

Borowski

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Jun 24, 2018
And that has worked out tremendously for Ubisoft, the Far Cry games sell exceptionally well. My question is then why would they stop making them?

From an investor/publisher perspective? Sure

As a consumer i like to see new things from developers, and even if they don't do something completely different, at least they should try to evolve their franchises.

Resident Evil 7 and the new God of War are good examples of how you can change things while keeping it familiar at the same time

Oct 30, 2017
It's ironic that statement is as I actually believe Twisted Metal is one of the IPs that would benefit from being AAA and having the aspects of the new trends from this current generation. Battle Royale can work with Twisted Metal. GaaS model with new maps, and vehicles added over time also would fit. With the popularity with online competitive games Twisted Metal would be perfect.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
It's ironic that statement is as I actually believe Twisted Metal is one of the IPs that would benefit from being AAA and having the aspects of the new trends from this current generation. Battle Royale can work with Twisted Metal. GaaS model with new maps, and vehicles added over time also would fit. With the popularity with online competitive games Twisted Metal would be perfect.
Rocket League!

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Guy who helped create God of War uses a Sony game from last year to argue game sequels are no longer creative in the very year Sojy shook the industry with a new God of War game that's wildly different from the series' trajectory.

Kongroo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
Jaffe took a real weird turn after his studio closed down. It seems that his livelihood is completely based on these annoying streams where he legit just tries to say something controversial.

I had mad respect for the dude and he's coming off as a cringey dweeb recently. It's a shame. I'm one of the few who actually enjoyed Drawn to Death.

J_Macgrady

Oct 25, 2017
Even games on the same series can do more changes without changing genres or having drastic changes. Hell, the game on your avatar is an example of that, one of the original fears of DMCV was that it would be only end up being a DMC4.5 with prettier graphics.
My biggest fear with DMC5 was them adding a universal dodge button that takes away some of the crazy stuff that you can do with DMC like the new Devil Breaker system.

Jan 10, 2018
They are not dying, but they have become the "Marvel effect", where you can expect a certain formula, have a good time and then you just move on to the next one. Skip two Uncharted games and then buy the third one and it doesn't really matter, as they all kind of blend together in a certain way. Jim Sterling talked about this effect in his BFV video.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Jaffe took a real weird turn after his studio closed down. It seems that his livelihood is completely based on these annoying streams where he legit just tries to say something controversial.

I had mad respect for the dude and he's coming off as a cringey dweeb recently. It's a shame. I'm one of the few who actually enjoyed Drawn to Death.
He just seems like a passionate and opinionated dude. He was like this when he at Sony as well. It's just that people can broadcast themselves more readily now with free platforms like YT, Twitch, and so on.

But his personality has always been a bit passionate, yet acerbic. But you can tell he's really passionate about gaming. And his sentiment aren't much different from what we've discussed here across the many years in two website.

If you read his statement in pure economic terms, yes, he's rather wrong. But he just seems to be riffing on the mic.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Misleading thread title, but I agree with his points 100%. A more appropriate title might be "AAA games are losing their innovation, and I don't wanna make em anymore."

It's why I applaud games like the latest couple Assassins Creed titles. They aren't perfect in many ways and definitely lift ideas from other games, but they go out of their way to utilize new ideas and shake up the core gameplay. More and more I also find most big releases 'boring' even if they are beautiful and mechanically sound.
honestly, i don't think that's the level of innovation that jaffe is clamouring for either.

i say this because i believe i can totally relate and it's something that bothers me greatly too. i want to want the latest cod, tomb raider, gears of war etc, but i can't. i want to see radically new gameplay ideas and i think there's still plenty of room for it. there's still so much we can do in terms of gameplay with new software and hardware tools available to us. no mans sky and the possibilities of procedural generation in games is a great of example of the innovation i would want to see in the AAA space.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I agree. Just the fact that publishers need to add micro transactions in games means the industry is not big enough to support these games. We need more games that bring people in, and those need to be medium to high budget titles.

OP
OP
Borowski

Borowski

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Jun 24, 2018
Thanks for the summary. Borowski should update the top post with this.

Can't say I'm a fan of Jaffe as he's been overhyped for a long while, much longer than just his recent output. But if he's really speaking just from his own perspective as a player, I think this is fine. There is a lot of recycling between big budget games and sequels often aren't much more than upgraded expansions with one or two new mechanics thrown in.

But that's not exactly news, and it doesn't sound like he makes a particularly novel argument for it. Since this whole thing seems pretty insubstantial, it seems we're only talking about this because it's an initially dumb thing Jaffe said. In which case, a lot of these heated posts around here are perfectly on topic.

Done

rapid32.5

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Would love to hear him talk about how Indy games ain't the same shit and GOW was nicely left of of the argument.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
in the defense of Uncharted 4 tough....the project had a really problematic development with the game getting new directors, which ended up finishing project in the span of 2 Years.
Druckman and co. had to cut off many ideas due the lack of time (like the new Climbing Mechanics, the Swords Fights, the Snowball Fight Section)

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
I truly couldn't take the whole "GAMES ARE DYING" in this clip, and I don't think he's saying that explicitly in the video, so I can say both the video and thread title are really misleading (and that Jeff's fault, this is from his own channel).

Jaffe is basically saying that the AAA industry is burning him out cause they pump out games that are mechanically the same, which is a valid point IMO. Now to state in a "headline" that their are DYING is a bit too much. If they are dying to you specifically, fair enough.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
This, too.

I get it if the man 100% doesn't care about polish and refinement, but there's more to Uncharted's evolution than just polish.
His gunplay comparison is so surface-level that he could compare Uncharted 4 to any other third-person shooter. He's basically saying they're the same because you pull out a gun and aim it at an enemy, I would just expect a veteran game designer to dig a little deeper than that and not just say "Oh, I might be able to tell the difference if I played them right next to each other".

Oct 25, 2017
He's saying AAA games are dying to him, as in he doesn't find them interesting anymore. Which is a fair stance to have nowadays. A lot of western AAA games are f***ing dull design wise. God of War was such a breath of fresh air in that regard, they made something that played very differently from the established GoW formula.
"Dying to me" and "Dying" are such radically different claims that even if I have no problem with the idea that there's little innovation in AAA, I have to call him out on using dumb, misleading, inflammatory language.

Nov 20, 2017
Hard disagree. RDR2 is like a great American novel, breath of the wild was revolutionary, god of war was a creative triumph on a genuinely epic and mythic scale.

Compare that to bald space marine times.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I think he's right that AAA games can no longer take big creative risks. I think that's largely true...