• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Borowski

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Jun 24, 2018

Summary:

Jaffe compares Uncharted 1 versus Uncharted 4 using two areas each. A climbing sequence in Uncharted and a climbing sequence in Uncharted 4. The other comparison is a shooting setpiece.

He then says he loves ND and they have great execution, but he's not singling them out. He's just more familiar with the franchise since he played them all.

He's aware they have improved some--better storytelling, set pieces, mechanics, but that's not enough for him.

He says he loves the games but is tired to do the same thing. He mentions it's the same thing Far Cry, Gears of War and other AAA franchises and the gaming press should call it out.

Nowhere does he mentions sales. He's talking as a gamer mostly.

UPDATE:

Last edited:

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
That ain't it, chief.

EDIT: Glad to see Jaffe clarified what he meant. I see where he's coming from.

Last edited:

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Eh, I don't foresee a time where high budget games become extinct. The method of their delivery might change over time but they'll always be here in some form.

Video title's misleading in itself too. Should probably be something more along the lines of "AAA creativity is dying". Saying Uncharted 1 and 4 are the "exact same game" made me roll my eyes hard though. They share 90% of the systems, but that 10% difference in production values, plot, setpieces, level design, mobility, etc are the selling point...obviously. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Most games nowadays are iterations of ones that came before.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Can you give a summary OP?

Yeah, at work computer, this would be nice.

Hard to imagine how he's reaching this conclusion though - they are certainly changing, and budgets are becoming a barrier to development, but there's just no way to interpret the sales figures on Spider-Man, God of War and RDR2 this year as "dying."

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Video is 5 minutes and change, handful of low effort comments under two minutes of the topic's creation. Keep up the quality discourse folks.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Nah. Maybe because he didn't get another shot?

People said the same about hollywood blockbusters.

Oct 27, 2017
Jaffe is gradually losing touch. Sometime ago, on twitter, He joking said he is ready make a 2D God of war game if Sony allows him.

Edit: more info

Last edited:

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Old, out of touch designer has old, out of touch opinions. I like how he doesn't mention God of War, the franchise he helped start which totally did reinvent itself and sold out the ass.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He took Uncharted 1 vs Uncharted 4 as an example, saying that they play pretty much the same, and using the same mechanics
if he's saying that gameplay innovation in AAA is dying, then yeah, absolutely, no question.

the only time we'll get interesting advancements in the AAA space is when an indie game does something new and it catches on like PUBG, but even the core battle royale gameplay is the tried and true boring stuff that we've known for decades.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
The OP is a rather misrepresentation of his points since there is no summary and people are going to post without watching the video. He makes some points there beyond the title.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
He took Uncharted 1 vs Uncharted 4 as an example, saying that they play pretty much the same and use the same mechanics
How is that dying? Going by that logic the game industry should have died during the 16 bit era where everything was platformers

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Red Dead 2 almost did 1B in revenue and were talking about AAA dying out lol Yep okay.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
His overall point isn't wrong. It just depends on how much said point bothers you.

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Honestly, this is sad. Jaffe is the director of God of War and I think if given a chance he can still make a great new SP IP instead of doing all these streams...

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
He's right that most AAA games are samey, but that's not really a problem exclusive to AAA games, it applies to most things.

Also nobody in this thread actually watched the video.