• Welcome to ResetEra 2.0! Guests should now be able to save their dark or light theme preferences, found on the left sidebar.

David Jaffe (creator of God of War) has a bone to pick with ResetEra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 31, 2017
Many in the industry don't, but they don't publicly say anything because of more threads being made where people will complain that they aren't liked.

You only have to look back about 13 months when the old forum died, and many devs openly celebrated its demise (and not because the owner was scummy, but because the forum and discussions themselves were toxic).
I think it takes 3 seconds looking at ERA for anyone who was around when GAF was an hot darling of the industry to understand the trust is gone. I don't think the industry at large dislikes ERA, at least not as much as ERA seems to dislike the industry itself, but it definitely doesn't want to get involved with it as a community as it did during the peak days of GAF.

And honestly, can you blame them? For better or worse, be it videogames or Etcetera, every single day is a long parade of "In today's episode of All Corporations and Industries Suck and the People Working in Them Are Monsters™, here's 5 more blog posts from 2007 by people you should start to petition against".

I still believe ERA has its heart in the right place, and I'll still take making the community safe and welcoming to everyone over making it more popular with "celebrities", but I feel like the discussion has not-so-slowly devolved into the kind of exausting, never ending purity testing that ultimately leads communities like this to collapse or isolate themselves from everything else.

Oct 30, 2017
I think it takes 3 seconds looking at ERA for anyone who was around when GAF was an hot darling of the industry to understand the trust is gone. I don't think the industry at large dislikes ERA, at least not as much as ERA seems to dislike the industry itself, but it definitely doesn't want to get involved with it as a community as it did during the peak days of GAF.

And honestly, can you blame them? For better or worse, be it videogames or Etcetera, every single day is a long parade of "In today's episode of All Corporations and Industries Suck and the People Working in Them Are Monsters™, here's 5 more blog posts from 2007 by people you should start to petition against".

I still believe ERA has its heart in the right place, and I'll still take making the community safe and welcoming to everyone over making it more popular with "celebrities", but I feel like the discussion has not-so-slowly devolved into the kind of exausting, never ending purity testing that ultimately leads communities like this to collapse or isolate themselves from everything else.
If deplatforming Nazi enablers is some kind of purity test, yeah, I'm all in on purity testing.

Oct 27, 2017
1) I wouldn't call calling someone advocating for Nazis out on it hate speech.
Well, it’s one thing to call someone on a bad idea, and to argument why it is wrong. But it’s completely something else, when a bulk of the reaction that follows is more in tune with things like: “he’s an idiot”, “he only makes shit games”, “fucking moron”, “can’t believe this Nazi shitbag”.

What’s even more funnier is that it seems like he is not some kind of pedophile/Nazi extremist, he even outright says it that he does not support that shit, but it’s more a matter of having a bad idea and trying to sound smart about it.

But the reaction on Resetera has been so aggressive and loud that suddenly he finds himself in war without even wanting to.

2) He's a grown man choosing to going to war with an internet forum.
He is just a game dev who likes to express his opinion on whatever comes to mind. It’s not like he is some kind of PR person well prepared for this type of shit-storm.

I don’t know Jaffe, and I am not saying he is a good or bad person, but saying some random shit on internet, which he probably isn’t even attached to, does not mean he is suddenly a holy crusader of that idea and that he should be crucified for that. But then again this is a play. Two sides of the same coin. He likes to be provocative with stupid ideas, resetera likes to be hysterical. It’s like one deserves the other. Who would even know of the stupid stuff he says if it wasn’t promoted in the previous threads. I and many others sure wouldn’t. Not everything has to be dissected and looked at with a magnifying lens.

Stampy, are you suggesting that we should CENSOR OURSELVES so that someone else does not FEEL OFFENDED by us?
Nope. :) But when you call someone out in a rude way, don't be surprised when that person responds back rudely and all arguments are put aside.

Oct 25, 2017
Lancaster, PA

Ironically this entire post screams of pearl clutching

Oct 28, 2017
I don't agree with his view, but I do feel some of the insults on here are a bit too much. Some people need to grow up a bit. I know it is the internet, but surely that is not the way you articulate in real life? Some people like Trump and Milo i would say are fair game, but I don't think Jaffe is. To be clear, I don't agree with his argument at all, but I find the level of invective high.

This is absolute nonsense, for the sole reason that every thread we have about even a slightly controversial issue (this Jaffe thing is a prime example) has *countless* people defending and even agreeing with the people the threads are against. The idea that Era is some puritanical hivemind is ridiculous to me because if you spend more than your allotted 3 seconds you would see people with wildly differing opinions on almost every topic

Oct 25, 2017

what specific industry involvement is missing that was so prominent when gaf was the industry darling? and what years was that?

Nov 3, 2017
or December 5th 2018 tweets about caping for Nazis, you say potato, I say potato

Oct 31, 2017
Guys, guys, I'm not saying any of that is wrong. Deplatforming nazis, exposing hateful opinions, taking political stances: it's fine. It's right. It's just not inviting for people who have high stakes in their public image to partecipate.

Oct 25, 2017
Once again since some people think we're "Being too Mean" This is the man you're defending.
Lmao. How does Jaffe think a white ethnostate could be established nonviolently exactly?

Like is his ego so large that with what amounts to moderate criticism and a lot of attention from ResetEra he’s willing to die on stupid fucking hills like this? Jesus between this and CDPR 2018 has been a disappointing year for developers I respected.

Oct 27, 2017
It’s telling that this is something that genuinely concerns you.
Already pointed out that this is a small passing subject from a random discussion. People requested an example, and that's one.

I knew it would come to this. Even when I explicitly state that this is not that big of a deal and just something that could be discussed, I still get a dozen replies painting my posts as some kind of rage induced bullshit.

In any case, I may have misspoke when I said that learning new pronouns is a hassle. That came out wrong and I apologize. I'm not sure if I'll be given a chance to explain what I meant in detail, or if this thread is the right place to take this further. To that end I'll just stop here.

P.S. thanks to every person who put effort in their replies instead of resorting to personal attacks.

Nov 5, 2017
Sounds like another case of "celebrity says stupid shit on social media thinking only a couple of friends will see it" and instead of just saying sorry, he digs deeper and deeper and deeper. Because saying sorry and admitting you made a mistake is so fucking terrible that you'd rather defend an embarassing piece of shit like Milo (without even knowing what he did, apparently). Good job!

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Guys, guys, I'm not saying any of that is wrong. Deplatforming nazis, exposing hateful opinions, taking political stances: it's fine. It's right. It's just not inviting for people who have high stakes in their public image to partecipate.
David Jaffe has high stakes in his public image? Is that why he's wasting his time calling out Phantom Thief on Twitter and making a fool of himself with hot take opinions that wouldn't even go over well in many parts of Reddit? Lol.

Jun 29, 2018
Resetera is very much governed like Singapore. I think this is very much a clash with the American values of free speech. I have no problem with how a person or community govern themselves, but it's totally disappointing when we judge someone and treat them as a bad person with just one comment of their entire live.
Wut

Jan 31, 2018
Funny thing is I don't 100% disagree. Of the community I've been in, era has been by far one of the most toxic.

Has something to offer but I get really frustrated at the super constrained conversation offered here. It's a very singular forum.
You can have good and sometimes heatedly discussions and conversations, there are a lot conservative opinions and thesis here to discuss. Of course there is less value in discussing with racist or xenophobe people. Its a waste of time in most of the cases.

On topic, always happy to see people exposing their true feelings on twitter like this.

Oct 30, 2017
Than god for people like David Jaffe, who will always be there to fiercely defend others’ right to tell me and my family that we are innately inferior and must be purged from the country.

Resetera is very much governed like Singapore. I think this is very much a clash with the American values of free speech. I have no problem with how a person or community govern themselves, but it's totally disappointing when we judge someone and treat them as a bad person with just one comment of their entire live.
When someone says that not giving space to someone who advocates for white-nationalish/Nazism, someone who spouts transphobic shit all the time, someone who even says pedophilia is fine is ruining the country the only appropriate reaction is "Fuck David Jaffe" unless you as a person also support Nazis/White Nationalists/Pedophilia.

The American Values allows these people to spew their hate and the same American Values allow everybody else to tell them to fuck off from their private space because they are bigoted hateful pieces of shit that nobody should be promoting. David Jaffe and Milo can go to any sidewalk and spew their hate if they want to preach. And if they do, I hope someone punches Milo again.

Oct 29, 2017
Than god for people like David Jaffe, who will always be there to fiercely defend others’ right to tell me and my family that we are innately inferior and must be purged from the country.
That's always the thing isn't it. People like Jaffe who bravely fight for the rights of scum like Milo Y. are enamored and affected by his false victimhood while the actual targets of his harassment, the people who have to suffer the brunt of Milo's bigoted rhetoric are expected to just tolerate it. In fact we're seen as the villains for making Milo pay the price for trying to classify black people and trans people as inhuman. If people like Jaffe fought this hard for actual marginalized groups, bigotry would be curtailed a lot more efficiently. Except as another poster mentioned before, they stem progress or outright reverse it by claiming that these tired worn out "opinions" about black inhumanity and xenophobic fearmongering deserve to be listened to or people will somehow get dumber.

Jaffe's "views" here are absolutely twisted. What's his problem exactly?
He mistakenly believes that there's no such thing as inherently violent rhetoric. To him, talk about literally culling the population to establish white supremacy is functionally harmless and doesn't produce people who put the words into action.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Cool comparison. The Singapore government has provided infrastructure for fantastic public transportation, public healthcare, public education, while also offering tons of choices for private transportation, private healthcare, and private education for those who can afford them. The standard of living is pretty good, the food is amazing, and we have a multi-racial and multi-religious country that doesn't implode everytime someone tries to start shit. What has American values of free speech gotten the USA? Slavery, racial discrimination, a divided nation, and a paralyzed government system where no one can make any real meaningful changes to declining quality of life for millions of Americans. FUCK YEAH USA! Right? :)

Hecht

Welp
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Cool comparison. The Singapore government has provided infrastructure for fantastic public transportation, public healthcare, public education, while also offering tons of choices for private transportation, private healthcare, and private education for those who can afford them. The standard of living is pretty good, the food is amazing, and we have a multi-racial and multi-religious country that doesn't implode everytime someone tries to start shit. What has American values of free speech gotten the USA? Slavery, racial discrimination, a divided nation, and a paralyzed government system where no one can make any real meaningful changes to declining quality of life for millions of Americans. FUCK YEAH USA! Right? :)
yeah but I can't spit in public so what's the point

/s

Oct 29, 2017
How fucking dumb do you have to be to see bigots rallying for a white ethnostate and think that they won't act on it? How does one force America into an ethnostate nonviolently?
To a white man like Jaffe, talk of a white ethnostate is just that; "harmless talk". He's not in the crosshairs so he doesn't have to consider how it can come about non-violently. Jaffe is worse than just ignorant though because he chastises those people who know what the rhetoric means, see how it has actually affected people (like again after Charlottesville or the synagogue shooting I don't know how people like Jaffe remain this fucking oblivious) and its ultimate goals. Sure it's "gross" to him but its a sanitized, nebulous disgust. It's disgusting because it just sounds like bigoted talk but doesn't take into account that bigoted talk ends up with victims and real human bodies who have to suffer when that talk takes hold.

Oct 25, 2017
honest and real question: why are people caring that much about the opinion a failing game developper ?
I initially thought he was still working on the God of War IP at sony and was like "oh wow thats a big scandal" but actually sony took the ip from his hands and now he just makes games that no one plays like drawn to death

Nov 12, 2017
That's a pretty big slippery slope there
It really isn´t. Are laws against hate speech (which are already in place) a slippery slope then? Can I stand right outside your door with a megaphone shouting lies and accusations against you that will hurt, possibly destroy your entire life? Is it "a slippery slope" when you get out and tell me not to do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.