• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Q-Train

Designer at Zenimax Online
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
San Diego
giphy.gif

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That's a pretty big slippery slope there

You serious?

If someone is being antisemitic or harrasing with what they're doing or saying, and using a company's service as a megaphone, the company has the right to refuse that service if they don't want to be related to what the person is saying.

They can still say it, they just won't be able to use that service.

What slippery slope is there?

Oct 30, 2017
I honestly can't believe that it has taken him this long to get to this point. If he jumped on the Grift train back during GamerGate he would easily have a thing going in the world of trash.

Era was right to engage his nonsense the first time but from here on out, he is simply using this site to propel himself back into relevance. There are plenty of terrible people on Youtube saying terrible things. Jaffe should just be left to be another nobody who's video shows up at the top of a google search for "resetera".

The man has never struck me as a good person and it is clear as day what he is doing.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
Listening to any idea regardless of merit, on the grounds that an open forum is more valuable than a inclusive and *productive* one is the *opposite* of critical thinking.

I've seen this so many times and it comes down to this dogmatic idea that the forum is about accepting and listening to any and all viewpoints instead of the real point of the forum: to negotiate truth and improve our understanding of the world. Some ideas are shit, have already been discussed and consensus has been reached that they don't have merit and aren't worth talking about in the year 2018. To illustrate: there is a reason we don't teach phrenology and astrology in universities.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly can't believe that it has taken him this long to get to this point. If he jumped on the Grift train back during GamerGate he would easily have a thing going in the world of trash.

Era was right to engage his nonsense the first time but from here on out, he is simply using this site to propel himself back into relevance. There are plenty of terrible people on Youtube saying terrible things. Jaffe should just be left to be another nobody who's video shows up at the top of a google search for "resetera".

The man has never struck me as a good person and it is clear as day what he is doing.
Thats the amazing thing about scumbags like Jaffe is they should have half a brain to know that by taking the stance they are taking and going public about it, their new crowd of fanboys is going to be mostly comprised of soul-draining alt right proud boy wannabes and they have to live with that. Only conclusion to then make is, they themselves enjoy that company. Hey, let them go down in flames together i say.

SideMatt

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honest question. How do you decide who is a monster, and who gets to make that decision? It seems to me that someone or something will always be in control and pushing a certain agenda. It's really interesting to think about.
Dude I don't really care about this useless talking point, but I'll humor you I guess. If you display constant hatred to entire groups of people such as women, people of color, LGBTQ people, then you are in fact, a monster. Not as deep as you think.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
who could have expected this from david jaffe

david "hillary could do more harm than trump" jaffe:
coqmmu-viaaayq0ywstw.jpg

(read from bottom up)

david "I fundamentally agree with a lot of the things that a number of the people who claim to support Gamergate agree with" jaffe

david "new [gaming] hardware is like new pussy" jaffe

david "women should use guns so they don't get raped" jaffe

or david "Wait, what are you saying? I didn't catch that cause I was distracted by the pussy on your face" (directed at female gaffer) jaffe

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Oh, so believing "corporations shutting someone for being a Nazi" =/= "corporations shutting down someone for protesting racism" is "hypocrisy". Good to know.

My point is merely if you believe if free speech, you shouldn't make exceptions to things you dont like or find bad. There are plenty of things that hurt me, or i find completely disgusting. Youtube is an alt right haven and actively promotes garbage like pragerU on advertisements and every single recommended feed. But assuming that i would want it to all disappear just because i believe in the exact opposite beliefs would be wrong.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pinched a nerve, eh?
If Jaffe actually read the last thread, he would know our arguments already.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
You are hilarious if you honestly think there would be any kind of civil discussion... from either side. On this forum of all places.

Lets be honest, it would be insanely hard to have a civil debate when one of the core points is centered around Milo. A guy that hates Jews and has defended pedophilia. How can anyone have a civil conversation about that?

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Is Destiny for deplatforming Milo?

If so, get them to debate each other. Someone put them in contact.
Yes, Destiny is super pro De-Platforming. He helped me critically think about it and come to the same conclusion. You simply can't engage with people that spew lies, nor should you allow them to normalize thoughts or ideas that makes violence okay.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
You serious?

If someone is being antisemitic or harrasing with what they're doing or saying, and using a company's service as a megaphone, the company has the right to refuse that service if they don't want to be related to what the person is saying.

They can still say it, they just won't be able to use that service.

What slippery slope is there?

What is the definition of hate speech and antisemitism? I mentioned marc lamont hill earlier because he was fired for a perfectly reasonable speech because the right wing on twitter twisted his words into being hateful when they were nothing of the sort. Its that kind of thing that really cripples the idea of free speech.

Nov 20, 2018
Freedom of speech is not the same thing as allowing someone on a commercial platform to spew hate. Milo is free to say what he wants, just as Twitter/YouTube has the right to refuse him to use their service to do so.
100% this, while i personally think sites like twitter should have a moral obligation to maintain an appropriate level of free speech, they also should have a moral obligation to not let these type of people be major influencers in their platform. Also many people forget that twitter is a private entity it has no legal obligation to host toxic speech

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I think Jaffe as an adult should use his time better than arguing with people on the internet.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yeah after watching this video I kind of get the feeling something's not right. There's no reason for someone of his accomplishments and resume to be stooping to this pandering streamer commentary hot-take bullshit. Is he having a mid-life crisis? Go home and be a family man, Jaffe. Don't be a Boogie.

David jaffe has been a reactionary douchebag for years. Back on gaf they use to fall all over themselves to praise him when he'd go off on someone.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Dave just log out and go play some Calling All Cars or something man. What you're trying to do is asinine and you're just torpedoing your reputation for nothing

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My point is merely if you believe if free speech, you shouldn't make exceptions to things you dont like or find bad. There are plenty of things that hurt me, or i find completely disgusting. Youtube is an alt right haven and actively promotes garbage like pragerU on advertisements and every single recommended feed. But assuming that i would want it to all disappear just because i believe in the exact opposite beliefs would be wrong.
You clearly don't give a shit about free speech, because forcing platforms to host content they don't want to is a literal violation of free speech.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
What is the definition of hate speech and antisemitism? I mentioned marc lamont hill earlier because he was fired for a perfectly reasonable speech because the right wing on twitter twisted his words into being hateful when they were nothing of the sort. Its that kind of thing that really cripples the idea of free speech.
The idea of free speech relates to the government, not social media platforms. And yes, deplatforming is a two way street

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Jaffe, not like this. You should know that you can never win an argument on the internet, and especially not with this lot here.

Go and grab a pint with Cliffy and Dyack and try to aim for Jeff Bell's contribution to society before the next video.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
who could have expected this from david jaffe

david "hillary could do more harm than trump" jaffe:
coqmmu-viaaayq0ywstw.jpg

(read from bottom up)

david "I fundamentally agree with a lot of the things that a number of the people who claim to support Gamergate agree with" jaffe

david "new [gaming] hardware is like new pussy" jaffe

david "women should use guns so they don't get raped" jaffe

or david "Wait, what are you saying? I didn't catch that cause I was distracted by the pussy on your face" (directed at female gaffer) jaffe
Ok that's new

Oct 25, 2017
Hey David, I'll have a conversation with you live on stream. Namedrop me on Twitter. I'm happy to participate. We can talk about how absolutely tone-deaf you are and how bad your last several games have been.

Does anyone even remember Calling All Cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.