• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hes right. In this forum when people dont agree with someone, they immediately trash him and call him names. Theres a lot of hateful people in here. If you dont agree with someone theres no need to say shit about him.
I'd probably agree in any other instance but this one. You don't have to go far to learn about Milo cause Wikipedia has a bunch of it documented.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milo_Yiannopoulos#Alleged_support_for_paedophilia

In the interview in a January 2016 episode of the podcast Drunken Peasants,[105] Yiannopoulos stated that sexual relationships between 13-year-old boys and adult men and women can "happen perfectly consensually", because some 13-year-olds are, in his view, sexually and emotionally mature enough to consent to sex with adults; he spoke favourably both of gay 13-year-old boys having sex with adult men and straight 13-year-old boys having sex with adult women.[106][107] He used his own experience as an example, saying he was mature enough to be capable of giving consent at a young age.

Damn, you know maybe....

nah you're full of shit.

Well, damn.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I love extra credits, but I am so tired of that video being paraded around. It's one of their most flawed videos. I have objections of their reading of aristotle's writing, and even if I were to go with their reading, I have objections whether it really works as a modern tale where definitions of what tragedy even is has changed, and I object to the interpretation that Kratos isn't actually crushed by his guilt because he's not really depicted as feeling guilty, and I definitely object that the ending concludes on a tragic note when his fucking ascension into godhood happens, when I don't think you can ignore is basically as great a reward as one can get in Greek Mythology and that it is basically the greatest thing that can happen to someone with Kratos' sociopathic personality.

I can agree that God of War had pretensions to be true to the structure of Greek myths, but that's just narrative structure. A movie can suck even if it has a distinct 3 act structure, because stucture is just a tool to organize the story, it does not, by itself, make a story worthwhile.

So yeah, no, perfection is pretty fucking far from what God of War is as far as I'm concerned.

It's not seen as a reward to Kratos. He's not happy. He didn't get what he wanted. He sits on his throne, scowling. The powers of a God, but still impotent to cure his actual problems.

StayHandsome

Nov 30, 2017
You mean "opinions" like racism, bigotry, sexism, blatant lies, and general alt-right garbage?

We were the intolerant ones all along
giphy.gif

His opinion isn't bigoted, he simply didn't have enough context to make the statement that he did. He even explains that he's changed his opinions on it after having been given more information.

I watched the whole video and I never saw him say anything racist, bigoted or sexist. If I understand correctly, he initially claimed that even toxic people should have a platform for speech. I disagree with that if the context is privately owned businesses like Twitter or YouTube... but calling Jaffe a racist bigot is an extreme and unfair mischaracterization of his opinion.

I'm assuming that in order to hold this view, many people here, if they care enough, will probably think of me as an alt right bigot myself. Sigh.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
I watched Jaffes video and... no lies detected.

Seriously. Milo had platforms that exposed what he stood for. He subsequently burnt out pretty quick. Now he's begging for donations. The greatest way to expose a bad idea is to shine light on it. The deplatforming idea is just not forward thinking at all. It's like shooting yourself in the foot.

edit: Too many replies to answer them all. My point is he is in debt. How did he get there? He's there because was allowed to speak until it got him banned from private services. I don't consider Alex Jones and Milo Y. deplatforming "wins" since they were both hoisted by their own petard. I'd still argue they should be allowed to publicly have opinions.

I don't get this. Milo can have an opinion in public whenever he actually wants. He's just buried in debt so he can't exactly speak without creditors coming after him. There's nothing that is a win about people being hateful enough and driving bots and real people at others.

But you also can't sit here and expect people to sympathize with people who completely abused their platform being able to return to it.

T.Slothrop

Jan 21, 2018
Milo de-platformed himself with the pedo comments. Until that point he would've been a welcome guest on any of the many right wing outlets that millions upon millions of Americans pay very close attention to.

Don't know what Jaffe's on about. My guess is he's an alt-right guy waiting to make his debut.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't the boat captain brought back only in gow2 tho? and iirc he was a soul temporarily summoned by the zombie dude with hammer, i won't necessarily call that being brought back to life, but that's just me.
Doesn't matter, he was brought back. Also, the gods can seemingly do everything else and it's not exactly established that they can't bring people back to life and we have proof that people themselves can be brought back to life in various ways, from raising souls to crawling out of hades to fucking time travel, it all comes down to the same thing: if Kratos wanted to save his family, he had options he could have atleast tried. He didn't. Why would that be?

Maybe that's what Tarantino thinks, but let's be honest, that's not what transpires in the movie at all,
No, that is what transpired, actually. Schultz hated Candy for his racism and pretentiousness, certainly, but in the scene in question, the part of the movie that actually has him kill Candy, it was because Candy pissed him off by lording his victory over him. Hell, if his objective was to help Django, then what he should have done was shaken his hand and then come back to kill him later, because that would let them walk out alive without risking Brunhilde's life. But he wanted to get back at Candy for being an annoying twerp, so...

I do think that as a slave his violent rebellion against ares was ultimately justified, but again that doesn't mean that he isn't an a hypocritical dick, that was always pretty clear.
No, whats happening is you sympathize with a slave rebelling against his master because slavery is abhorrent. But that's not the actual point here. I'm not talking about whether Kratos rebellion against Ares is justifed in an abstract, moral sense.

I'm saying that specifically about how Kratos frames the event. He thinks Ares betrayed him and he just factually didn't. I'm not talking about the legality either. I'm saying Kratos went "I will be your slave" and Ares goes "ok *treats kratos as a slave*" and Kratos goes "HOW COULD YOU TREAT ME AS A SLAVE, WE WERE PARTNERS AND NOW U BETRAY ME? D:"

The point I'm getting at here is that Kratos is DELUSIONAL, so he makes up a framework for events that didn't actually happen that way and uses it to justify his revenge. That's why his revenge isn't justifiable by Kratos' terms, it's because the framework itself is a lie. If he simply went "Ares is fucking evil" or something, that'd be one thing, even if it'd be a tad rich coming from him. But instead he pretends that they had some kind of trust that Ares betrayed, and that just literally never happened.

Last edited:

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
His opinion isn't bigoted, he simply didn't have enough context to make the statement that he did. He even explains that he's changed his opinions on it after having been given more information.

I watched the whole video and I never saw him say anything racist, bigoted or sexist. If I understand correctly, he initially claimed that even toxic people should have a platform for speech. I disagree with that if the context is privately owned businesses like Twitter or YouTube... but calling Jaffe a racist bigot is an extreme and unfair mischaracterization of his opinion.

I'm assuming that in order to hold this view, many people here, if they care enough, will probably think of me as an alt right bigot myself. Sigh.
I wasn't taking specifically about Jaffe. You made a general comment that we attack anyone with "opinions we don't like". Read your post again and then read my response.

Jaffe is just an idiot who is coping for hate groups because MUH FREE SPEECH.

It takes the a very minimal amount of critical thinking to know how fucking stupid his whole beef is here. It's barely worth debating.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Dude I don't really care about this useless talking point, but I'll humor you I guess. If you display constant hatred to entire groups of people such as women, people of color, LGBTQ people, then you are in fact, a monster. Not as deep as you think.
But you see, David Jaffe is none of those things, so why should he empathize with us?

Frankly, his ignorance is less forgivable post-Trump. I thought we were done with both-sides and "let the racists recruit because that's the tolerant thing to do".

You hear that David? You're part of the problem, and until you realize that, you should shut the fuck up and listen for a good long time. This ain't no game for minorities. Don't you fucking dare pretend bigotry and hatred are not existential threats. You are severely underestimating the fear, trauma and pain that has been inflicted on people who don't share your skin color, penis, religion or sexual orientation.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
As a white guy, that video reeks of white entitlement and privledge... I couldn't get very far into it unfortunately. Who gets to decide what's toxic/hateful/inciteful? Spoken like someone who has never been at the receiving end. We have codes of ethics, morality, and laws that pretty much can help you... we are taught about the simple ethical "golden rule" at birth, Pretty sure a lot of people don't want to be treated the way many of the types of people he's defending speak about said people.

You're not defending freedoms, you're advocating stripping others of theirs. And he clearly has difficult seeing that past his nose.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
I agree with a lot of what had to say. And I laughed a few times too

I agree with what he had to say to an extent. I just think he's actually ignorant of what Milo actually was online because he was in the middle of making a game. Instead of just yelling on the internet Milo deserves a platform, he could have looked into it a bit more.

Instead of having to admit a mea culpa that changed his mind on some things he could have read first and then spoke informed.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
[SNARK]HEY PEOPLE, DO WE EVEN KNOW IF THIS IS THE REAL JAFFE? HE ISN'T EVEN VERIFIED ON TWITTER.[/SNARK]

Seriously though, he's apparently walking his dog then going to twitch to stream debates with people that call in, in ooh, ten minutes.

Honestly, this all sounds like someone afraid of losing their own platform. Which is understandable. But there are better hills to die on than trying to get Milo his soap box back.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Milo de-platformed himself with the pedo comments. Until that point he would've been a welcome guest on any of the many right wing outlets that millions upon millions of Americans pay very close attention to.

Don't know what Jaffe's on about. My guess is he's an alt-right guy waiting to make his debut.
Palmer Luckey is waiting in the wings to welcome him with open arms.

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
really owns how so many of these tech/gaming dudes keep demonstrating every fucking time they open their mouths that they're dumb as a ton of bricks outside their extremely specific occupational niches (and sometimes even inside them!)

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, this all sounds like someone afraid of losing their own platform. Which is understandable. But there are better hills to die on than trying to get Milo his soap box back.

It's honestly so desperate and sad, and so transparent that the most respectful thing I can do personally is ignore his bit. Like, during his original pitch around that first video, I tried to spell out the very specific reasons Yiannopoulos was eventually banned from the various social media platforms, and Jaffe seemed bulletproof to any sort of recognition or integration of that info, even though it undermined his premise.

Last edited:

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
It's not seen as a reward to Kratos. He's not happy. He didn't get what he wanted. He sits on his throne, scowling. The powers of a God, but still impotent to cure his actual problems.
Kratos was scowling when he defeated the Barbarian, Kratos was scowling when he was enjoying himself murdering villages, Kratos was scowling when having sex. Hell, the fact that Kratos scowls nearly the entirety of GoW 2018 is a running gag. So forgive me if I don't think that means anything. It's really his only expression, regardless of what's happening.

Edit: Hell, try googling "Kratos smiling". The only thing that comes up is photoshopped images of how hilarious it looks because his face is such that it was literally made with only scowling in mind, so it looks wrong and hilarious when he does smile. And also it means he never smiled through out any of the games.

And that's kind of what I'm getting at for why I don't see GoW as a good story. Yeah, the narrative clearly wants us to think that Kratos wouldn't be more happy being a god of war than he would be having his wife and kid back, but I don't believe that. His love of violence and murder is well established, while his love of his family is something that's, at best, implied. So, from what I've seen, Kratos would LOVE being the god of war, even if he still had was still going >:( the entire time.

The story is telling me one thing, but it's shown me something else, which no amount of greek structure references are gonna fix.

Last edited:

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
OOOOOOHHH I GOT A REPLY.

My reponse as well

Soo...allow obvious hate speech and bigotry because free speech has spawned progressive movement in the past? Seems to line up one to one!
[SNARK]HEY PEOPLE, DO WE EVEN KNOW IF THIS IS THE REAL JAFFE? HE ISN'T EVEN VERIFIED ON TWITTER.[/SNARK]

Seriously though, he's apparently walking his dog then going to twitch to stream debates with people that call in, in ooh, ten minutes.

This is my takeaway from all of this. Dude probably feels like he's fading into obscurity and this is attempt to reassure himself that he is relevant lol.

Oct 28, 2017
It says a lot that he's most offended by the implication that he "doesn't have the testicles" to be forthright with his alt-right sympathies. Reminds me of that thread that concluded that most Trump supporters were primarily insecure about their societal power / masculinity.

Pathetic.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
Milo wasn't deplatformed until comments he made defending pedophilia surfaced.

If it wasn't for that the dude would have continued spouting evil bullshit for years to come.

Allowing these people to fester unchallenged just leads to people thinking that these opinions are okay to have.

Alex Jones was around long enough and got popular enough to have a blatant effect on the politics of the U.S. He stoked the conspiracy theories over mass shootings. He interviewed the goddamn president while he was running. He had a very real harmful impact on people's lives and a decent number of people ate it up/continue to eat it up.

Those against deplatforming always seem to have this strange idea that letting them talk is somehow harmless. But you're not just letting them talk, you're directly helping them reach millions with your half-assed responses. By the time they eventually get banned after amassing a following the damage has been done.

Hefty

Nov 9, 2018
I'm saying that specifically about how Kratos frames the event. He thinks Ares betrayed him and he just factually didn't. I'm not talking about the legality either. I'm saying Kratos went "I will be your slave" and Ares goes "ok *treats kratos as a slave*" and Kratos goes "HOW COULD YOU TREAT ME AS A SLAVE, WE WERE PARTNERS AND NOW U BETRAY ME? D:"

The point I'm getting at here is that Kratos is DELUSIONAL, so he makes up a framework for events that didn't actually happen that way and uses it to justify his revenge. That's why his revenge isn't justifiable by Kratos' terms. If he simply went "Ares is fucking evil", that'd be one thing, even if it'd be a tad rich coming from him. But instead he pretends that they had some kind of trust that Ares betrayed, and that just literally never happened.
I still don't agree with this, Ares DID betray Krato's trust, and imo kratos CAN say that ares betrayed him, even as a slave, which btw isn't even what I would call the de facto kratos-ares relationship, Kratos very much enjoyed being his "slave" up until that brutal day and it was clear that there was an understanding between them, so betrayal(of trust) is an appropriate term in this case(imo).

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 5 minutes in so far, and I understand what he's getting at, but it feels like he hasn't thought much about what he's saying. If Milo wants a platform, he can find people to work with who will give him a platform. Twitter doesn't have to keep every single account active just because "muh free speech". He broke the terms of service on Twitter, so he is no longer allowed to have an account on Twitter. Does he not realize this?

Status
Not open for further replies.