• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif
TM2 and Black are great games

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's always two things that bug me when I see situations like this:

1. I don't like it when people lump a couple of posters opinion together and deem it Resetera consensus as a whole. That was a big issue with Gaf, like the forum was some big boogyman in the woods throwing rocks at industry people... instead of a simple platform with various gamers from different walks of life. It always quickly decends from "So and so posted this shit about me." to "Yeah, fuck that entire site and the people on it."

2. As far as the site is concerned, I also hate how everything is so polarized too (I do agree with Jaffe on that). Everything is wrestling... It's either you're a heel or a comrade, for or against, no shades of gray or middle ground. But hell, I guess that's how everything is and has always been, from gaming websites, to politics, sports, and society as a whole.

Anyways, whatever...

I love the polarization. There's no middle ground for me. If you support racism, misogyny, pedophillia, homophobia, nationalism...fuck you.

Pretty easy line in the sand. Not only that, it's a matter of survival for me and mines. It's a very simple case of you're either with me or against me.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Of course the far-right fest of the other place is celebrating this.

Gamergate really did a work there.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funny Jaffe would say that "there are laws against that stuff" when we've seen these past years how police will side with white supremacist neo-Nazis and protect them during rallies. The law is on their side because of how systemic this all is.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
dude whatever we're splitting hairs at this point, we're just discussing semantics, to what end actually lol? I still think that Kratos's use of the word betrayal in his context was correct, you don't, let's just leave each other with that, I don't even care about this argument that much to let it continue, which besides, is extremely offtopic as is. So in conclusion, my dude, have a good stay in this thread and see you around on the site✌️
Sure, no prob, but I do want to say that this isn't a matter of semantics. We both agree that what happened is that Kratos got fucked over by Ares and he didn't expect to be fucked over and him being angry about being fucked over is something he can understandably be angry about. We're on common ground there.

The distinction I make, and I think it's an important one because it tells us about how he thinks about his worldview. I think it's important that he views himself as a victim of deception when Ares when we can literally that that isn't the case. It would be an interesting framework of Kratos if the writers remembered that Kratos' view of this is bullshit, but they don't, which is a flaw in the narrative imo and what makes Kratos so contemptible as a character. GOW2018 fixed this on both fronts by having characters call him out whenever he tried to pull that shit on them, and is one of the reasons, arguably the biggest reason for me, why it's a far more effective story.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

lol, world famous video game director and designer, getting one lonely Twitter like for his boomer oatmeal brained understanding of how white supremacists recruit via the internet...

I think Jaffe, like Boogie and every other peabrained centrist in the gaming sphere who think they need to speak on politics without having any idea of what they're talking about ("i didn't know what NPC was! I didn't realize the "alt-left" isn't a thing!) legitimately don't understand that for these extreme right-wing hate groups, their ideas are never actually disinfected by sunlight. And this idea of "what if one day what you say is deemed hate speech" is such a ridiculous slippery slope fallacy.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It may also be because they think they will get banned instantly for having a dissenting viewpoint. You say "offensive bigotry", but this could be an awfully broad brush, depending on one's interpretation. These days everyone's an extremist, and people like Jaffe get mocked because they say stuff like "let's all just let people have whatever opinions they want", which is exactly what Voltaire said in his treatise on Toleration (p54) https://archive.org/details/tolerationother00volt/page/43 :

"Do I propose then, that every citizen shall be free to follow his own reason, and believe whatever this enlightened or deluded reason shall dictate to him? Certainly, provided he does not disturb the public order."

There are laws against incitement, and there are laws against vilification and discrimination. These are all well and good, but let's be careful we don't impose laws against giving your opinion.

Funny you mention Voltaire. Let's see what he thought about Jews:
Wikipedia said:
In short, we find in them only an ignorant and barbarous people, who have long united the most sordid avarice with the most detestable superstition and the most invincible hatred for every people by whom they are tolerated and enriched.

...Oh.

Also your last sentence is completely irrelevant. No government told Milo he couldn't spew his filth. Private websites can police their users as they see fit.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There's this pure coincidence where people who want Milo to have a platform never actually acknowledge the things that Milo has done.
Yep. Never reflecting what got these people removed from the spotlight in the first place. Just some disingenuous call for the public to be forcefully subjected to their bullshit again because "what about free speech?"

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Everything is wrestling... It's either you're a heel or a comrade, for or against, no shades of gray or middle ground. But hell, I guess that's how everything is and has always been, from gaming websites, to politics, sports, and society as a whole.

Anyways, whatever...

When it comes to issues like racism, sexism, transphobia etc yes of course you're either for or against. Era is good in that it's not interested in hand waving any of that bullshit. It's wrong, and there's no argument to be made against the fact that it's wrong.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
There's always two things that bug me when I see situations like this:

1. I don't like it when people lump a couple of posters opinion together and deem it Resetera consensus as a whole. That was a big issue with Gaf, like the forum was some big boogyman in the woods throwing rocks at industry people... instead of a simple platform with various gamers from different walks of life. It always quickly decends from "So and so posted this shit about me." to "Yeah, fuck that entire site and the people on it." Like, if you're going to go apeshit, do it on the individual, instead of lazily stating the masses, because no... not everyone gives a shit in the first place.

2. As far as the site is concerned, I also hate how everything is so polarized too (I do agree with Jaffe on that). Everything is wrestling... It's either you're a heel or a comrade, for or against, no shades of gray or middle ground. But hell, I guess that's how everything is and has always been, from gaming websites, to politics, sports, and society as a whole.

Anyways, whatever...
Regarding point 2. If you are in the middle of an argument and by that I mean you can see and relate to both sides of the coin, you are less likely to have a strong opinion and therefore post.

I understand what Jaffe was trying to say, he was basically saying if you don't see these types of opinions how do you learn the skill of critical thinking to effectively recognise shit and argue against it.

Or at least that's where I thought he was going until the absurd ethnostate defence where now I think he is deluded enough to think racial exclusion is acceptable so long as there is no violence involved, which is ironically a moronic view to hold.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
There's always a middle when you're unaffected by it. Between supporting minorities and calling for their extermination, there's a vast gulf of apathy.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

jiggle

Dec 23, 2017
Wow is he trying to get him and Milo a job at terrible company cdpr or square eatshitx

Brawlz

Banned
May 18, 2018
User Banned (permanent): Trolling, Editing post to add antagonistic content, Account in junior phase
Okay, so I'm going to have to follow up with this. Why did you make a post about separating the art from the artist when this thread has absolutely nothing to do with that to begin with? This is not a thread about Twisted Metal or God of War, and there is no reason why people's opinions about these games even has to come up in order for you to engage in the topic.
That's the thing, they do. As long as I've been browsing this site, the entire notion of "Separating the artist and art" always comes up. Individuals getting lambasted over supporting the art, when the artist was a scumbag. Literally the same situation happening now.

I saw the title
Read through (Gather more info etc etc)
Saw the aforementioned comment
Made a quip considering I know how this site operates with its hive-mind approach and attacking individuals who support the "Art" of certain "Artists"
Had many individuals respond back with triggered responses (Including my joke over how Gaf is better with this style of posting even though I don't post there)

That is all. Nothing else to explain. This certainly has something to do with the topic at hand, while concurrently having something to do with the forum its being posted on.

If you want to know my honest opinion about this whole direct situation, I truly believe its hyperbolic, on both sides. Not just Jaffe, but here too. I've also read up on the Milo situation as well. He's a right asshole, but as long as his words aren't physically affecting someone, he's allowed his idiotic opinion, just like everyone here is. Just ignore his idiotic rhetoric, just like everyone here needs to ignore Jaffe's ramblings, like-wise for NEOGAF, who're currently stalking this thread as I type this, and that this forum likes to do time after time.

Ultimately, people need to calm down, relax and breathe and not get perpetually triggered over everything all the time. Anyway, I explained my point, if you don't like it, too bad, so sad (General statement, not directed to you L Thammy)

L Thammy, I would like to thank you again for not resorting to derogatory statements and rhetoric, that's quite rare these days.

Edit: I'm only responding back to L Thammy, I don't have time to respond back to multiple triggered individuals.

Last edited:

Deleted member 18347

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There has never not been a balance. The problem is people on the right using veiled rhetoric so as to come off as disingenuous and or being too afraid that their views(which lets face it are often antithetical to equality for all) will get them banned.

No one here would call for a ban if people legitimately asked questions about homosexuality or trans issues or why minorities face greater levels of systemic oppression. But those questions rarely get asked. The only discourse arises when someone(presumably) from the left raises an issue or concern and then centrists and right leaning individuals chime in with non sequiturs, what aboutism, and other fallacies EVEN after being informed that their opinion is harmful or their logic flawed.
Getting banned isn't the main concern. Assholes get weeded out smoothly for the most part.

But it is how people respond to and jump on some posters that discourages them from engaging in future discussions. That continues on for a while, little by little, and the end result is an echo chamber where differing points of view immediately stick out and are met with unprompted hostility that, for some reason or another, is somehow tolerated.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I've also read up on the Milo situation as well. He's a right asshole, but as long as his words aren't physically affecting someone
Milo outed a trans student and drove his followers to hack Leslie Jones's website

(Maybe you need to read more before mouthing off.)

Ys45

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a summary somewhere about what happened ?
I'm quite intrigued about how someone on this forum got the attention of someone like that in the game industry.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some just don't seem to understand that Nazis and white supremacists don't need to do anything to incite violence. Their very existence is violence and provoking because their belief is that other races, certain genders and sexuality should not exist at all. Their voices, their speeches, their chants, are all violence. Saying "they're fine as long as they don't commit acts of violence" is plain idiocy through and through.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Getting banned isn't the main concern. Assholes get weeded out smoothly for the most part.

But it is how people respond to and jump on some posters that discourages them from engaging in future discussions. That continues on for a while, little by little, and the end result is an echo chamber where differing points of view immediately stick out and are met with unprompted hostility that, for some reason or another, is somehow tolerated.

You know what, even if you were right and all of us were a bunch of jackbooted wrongthinkers, I'm happy to have at least one community on the internet where I'm not constantly dealing with toxic bullshit.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funny Jaffe would say that "there are laws against that stuff" when we've seen these past years how police will side with white supremacist neo-Nazis and protect them during rallies. The law is on their side because of how systemic this all is.

He's a well off white dude. He gets to wax nostalgic about this stuff because he's largely unaffected by the toxicity.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Sorry if I missed it, but what are some of the different point of views that the right holds that should be discussed with civility around here? Guns and taxes? Because for the most part, those are discussed alright around here.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't spent much time there since Resetera was made, but the little time i have spent there I got the impression that a lot of people there seem to think that.

I momentarily visited GAF when Era was going through its upgrade, and I was kind of stunned to see a thread full of people maligning the fact that CD Projekt Red fired that transphobic PR person. Saying they were just giving in to SJWs on an issue 99% of the world doesn't care about.

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
David Jaffe, I knoW you are reading this and I have one thjing to say to you. you are a baby back bitch, you are a coward, and if you don't debate me in the field of honor, then I will be forced to go to your favorite subway snadwich restaraunt and stick my unwashed sandwich in your sub. I will also put on the salt and pepper mix despite you only asking for salt.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you want to know my honest opinion about this whole direct situation, I truly believe its hyperbolic, on both sides.

'Both sides' really got hard-wired into a particular group of people huh. Your post has all the hits i'll give you that.

Last i checked, Milo is a neo-nazi scumbag who has bought a lot of suffering to people and helped spread a movement that probably in some form exists in shit like Proud Boys or whatever these days. People saying this dude deserves his platform are enablers, and for whatever reason, thinking this asshole deserves to be elevated after having years of elevation showing his ass for what it truly is, still comes forward and proclaims HE MUST BE HEARD!, deserves a 'fuck off'.

Not hyperbole, just the decent thing to do. BUT BOTH SIDES. Truly remarkable stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.