• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 1, 2018
Europe
Lol at the replies to that Tweet. Some of these guys can cry under water.

Apparently we are all pedophiles here. How do people come up with that stuff, it is hilariously dumb.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
None of this surprises me.

Jaffe's always been a loudmouth who loves yelling ridiculous, controversial nonsense to get his point across. Back in the days of Twisted Metal and God of War (early-mid 2000s) this type of behavior was somewhat more accepted by the liberal community, whereas conservatives were heavily represented by evangelicals, who scoffed at most forms of entertainment, particularly video games.

The situation is different today. the alt-right / modern conservative movement loves being loud and offensive and they've wholly embraced modern entertainment. Progressives have evolved to a place where we prioritize the treatment of our fellow man over the love of entertainment and loud, controversial bullshit is rarely tolerated, especially at the expense of minority groups.

So yeah, defending someone like Milo, a man full of hate and damaging statements to many wonderful groups of people, is going to set reasonable people off. And if this actually surprises you, maybe, just maybe, it's time to accept that there's a new group of monsters that closely aligns with the type of person you've always been .

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Which is why I agree with some, like the general pronoun "zir". It is to my understanding that it is gender neutral so should be accepted by all.

The reason I don't agree with using all of them is that it will be a slippery slope where we have too many pronouns to the point where it becomes an unnecessary hassle.

It is true what you say in that meeting people who require it are an extremely small percentage, but that's the case today. I'm thinking about future implications.

In the end, the real filter will be whether or not the general public adopts these, but I still believe is a valid subject to discuss, no matter how trivial it is when compared to bigger more important ones.
Your posts in this thread sure are something fucking else.

Forget adding new pronouns, I already find myself checking Era members' profiles before I use the word "dude". We've already passed the slippery slope.
Ive tried moving towards gender neutral terms all together just to be safe. I mean its a pretty big part of my day to check that one pronoun everytime I need to refer to someone but with enough grit and determination I barely manage to accomplish that goal.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These both sides folk just deep down agree with the fucked up shit people like Milo think then just hide behind the whole "everyone should have a voice" bullshit because they feel attacked for their own beliefs. But they are too afraid to outright condemn them or agree with them because they are afraid both sides. Then play victim when anyone calls them out. Fucking cowards.

This is where i'm at. Every time one of these assholes decides to bat for something it's always the nazis and the bigots. Always. While finger wagging the left about the most inane shit. Centrists my ass.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I don't get this thread.

People are in utmost shock that he felt hurt by plentiful of hate speech produced here.

If you read so many people calling you being an idiot, of course you are going to react emotionally and defend yourself.
lucille-portable.gif

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Which is why I agree with some, like the general pronoun "zir". It is to my understanding that it is gender neutral so should be accepted by all.

The reason I don't agree with using all of them is that it will be a slippery slope where we have too many pronouns to the point where it becomes an unnecessary hassle.

It is true what you say in that meeting people who require it are an extremely small percentage, but that's the case today. I'm thinking about future implications.

In the end, the real filter will be whether or not the general public adopts these, but I still believe is a valid subject to discuss, no matter how trivial it is when compared to bigger more important ones.
It's telling that this is something that genuinely concerns you.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't get this thread.

People are in utmost shock that he felt hurt by plentiful of hate speech produced here.

If you read so many people calling you being an idiot, of course you are going to react emotionally and defend yourself.
Go look up the definition of hate speech before rushing to the defense of someone getting called out for his unfiltered statements

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Many in the industry don't, but they don't publicly say anything because of more threads being made where people will complain that they aren't liked.

You only have to look back about 13 months when the old forum died, and many devs openly celebrated its demise (and not because the owner was scummy, but because the forum and discussions themselves were toxic).

I think it takes 3 seconds looking at ERA for anyone who was around when GAF was an hot darling of the industry to understand the trust is gone. I don't think the industry at large dislikes ERA, at least not as much as ERA seems to dislike the industry itself, but it definitely doesn't want to get involved with it as a community as it did during the peak days of GAF.

And honestly, can you blame them? For better or worse, be it videogames or Etcetera, every single day is a long parade of "In today's episode of All Corporations and Industries Suck and the People Working in Them Are Monsters™, here's 5 more blog posts from 2007 by people you should start to petition against".

I still believe ERA has its heart in the right place, and I'll still take making the community safe and welcoming to everyone over making it more popular with "celebrities", but I feel like the discussion has not-so-slowly devolved into the kind of exausting, never ending purity testing that ultimately leads communities like this to collapse or isolate themselves from everything else.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think it takes 3 seconds looking at ERA for anyone who was around when GAF was an hot darling of the industry to understand the trust is gone. I don't think the industry at large dislikes ERA, at least not as much as ERA seems to dislike the industry itself, but it definitely doesn't want to get involved with it as a community as it did during the peak days of GAF.

And honestly, can you blame them? For better or worse, be it videogames or Etcetera, every single day is a long parade of "In today's episode of All Corporations and Industries Suck and the People Working in Them Are Monsters™, here's 5 more blog posts from 2007 by people you should start to petition against".

I still believe ERA has its heart in the right place, and I'll still take making the community safe and welcoming to everyone over making it more popular with "celebrities", but I feel like the discussion has not-so-slowly devolved into the kind of exausting, never ending purity testing that ultimately leads communities like this to collapse or isolate themselves from everything else.

If deplatforming Nazi enablers is some kind of purity test, yeah, I'm all in on purity testing.

Stampy

Oct 27, 2017
1) I wouldn't call calling someone advocating for Nazis out on it hate speech.

Well, it's one thing to call someone on a bad idea, and to argument why it is wrong. But it's completely something else, when a bulk of the reaction that follows is more in tune with things like: "he's an idiot", "he only makes shit games", "fucking moron", "can't believe this Nazi shitbag".

What's even more funnier is that it seems like he is not some kind of pedophile/Nazi extremist, he even outright says it that he does not support that shit, but it's more a matter of having a bad idea and trying to sound smart about it.

But the reaction on Resetera has been so aggressive and loud that suddenly he finds himself in war without even wanting to.

2) He's a grown man choosing to going to war with an internet forum.

He is just a game dev who likes to express his opinion on whatever comes to mind. It's not like he is some kind of PR person well prepared for this type of shit-storm.

I don't know Jaffe, and I am not saying he is a good or bad person, but saying some random shit on internet, which he probably isn't even attached to, does not mean he is suddenly a holy crusader of that idea and that he should be crucified for that. But then again this is a play. Two sides of the same coin. He likes to be provocative with stupid ideas, resetera likes to be hysterical. It's like one deserves the other. Who would even know of the stupid stuff he says if it wasn't promoted in the previous threads. I and many others sure wouldn't. Not everything has to be dissected and looked at with a magnifying lens.

Stampy, are you suggesting that we should CENSOR OURSELVES so that someone else does not FEEL OFFENDED by us?

Nope. :) But when you call someone out in a rude way, don't be surprised when that person responds back rudely and all arguments are put aside.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania

Ironically this entire post screams of pearl clutching

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I don't agree with his view, but I do feel some of the insults on here are a bit too much. Some people need to grow up a bit. I know it is the internet, but surely that is not the way you articulate in real life? Some people like Trump and Milo i would say are fair game, but I don't think Jaffe is. To be clear, I don't agree with his argument at all, but I find the level of invective high.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

This is absolute nonsense, for the sole reason that every thread we have about even a slightly controversial issue (this Jaffe thing is a prime example) has *countless* people defending and even agreeing with the people the threads are against. The idea that Era is some puritanical hivemind is ridiculous to me because if you spend more than your allotted 3 seconds you would see people with wildly differing opinions on almost every topic

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017

what specific industry involvement is missing that was so prominent when gaf was the industry darling? and what years was that?

Nov 3, 2017

or December 5th 2018 tweets about caping for Nazis, you say potato, I say potato

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Y'all, everything is exactly the same and nothing means anything! What are ethical standards?? JUST A PRISON FOR YOUR MIND.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Guys, guys, I'm not saying any of that is wrong. Deplatforming nazis, exposing hateful opinions, taking political stances: it's fine. It's right. It's just not inviting for people who have high stakes in their public image to partecipate.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Once again since some people think we're "Being too Mean" This is the man you're defending.

Lmao. How does Jaffe think a white ethnostate could be established nonviolently exactly?

Like is his ego so large that with what amounts to moderate criticism and a lot of attention from ResetEra he's willing to die on stupid fucking hills like this? Jesus between this and CDPR 2018 has been a disappointing year for developers I respected.

Deleted member 18347

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's telling that this is something that genuinely concerns you.
Already pointed out that this is a small passing subject from a random discussion. People requested an example, and that's one.

I knew it would come to this. Even when I explicitly state that this is not that big of a deal and just something that could be discussed, I still get a dozen replies painting my posts as some kind of rage induced bullshit.

In any case, I may have misspoke when I said that learning new pronouns is a hassle. That came out wrong and I apologize. I'm not sure if I'll be given a chance to explain what I meant in detail, or if this thread is the right place to take this further. To that end I'll just stop here.

P.S. thanks to every person who put effort in their replies instead of resorting to personal attacks.

gschmidl

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Go fuck off forever, Jaffe, you alt-right-enabling whataboutist shit.

Ghost305

Banned
Jan 6, 2018
User Warned: Drive-By Posting
Gotta love how an apparently 'irrelevant' David Jaffe gets multiple 20+ threads just for sharing an opinion.

You'll learn one day, Era.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
Sounds like another case of "celebrity says stupid shit on social media thinking only a couple of friends will see it" and instead of just saying sorry, he digs deeper and deeper and deeper. Because saying sorry and admitting you made a mistake is so fucking terrible that you'd rather defend an embarassing piece of shit like Milo (without even knowing what he did, apparently). Good job!

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Guys, guys, I'm not saying any of that is wrong. Deplatforming nazis, exposing hateful opinions, taking political stances: it's fine. It's right. It's just not inviting for people who have high stakes in their public image to partecipate.
David Jaffe has high stakes in his public image? Is that why he's wasting his time calling out Phantom Thief on Twitter and making a fool of himself with hot take opinions that wouldn't even go over well in many parts of Reddit? Lol.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta love how an apparently 'irrelevant' David Jaffe gets multiple 20+ threads just for sharing an opinion.

You'll learn one day, Era.
I think David is the one learning something right now. At the very least, he's learning that he shouldn't expect people to be okay with defending the facilitation of Nazi propaganda.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Resetera is very much governed like Singapore. I think this is very much a clash with the American values of free speech. I have no problem with how a person or community govern themselves, but it's totally disappointing when we judge someone and treat them as a bad person with just one comment of their entire live.
Wut

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
I can only imagine the blowback if a public figure denounced Nazis

Django.Mango

Jan 31, 2018
Funny thing is I don't 100% disagree. Of the community I've been in, era has been by far one of the most toxic.

Has something to offer but I get really frustrated at the super constrained conversation offered here. It's a very singular forum.

You can have good and sometimes heatedly discussions and conversations, there are a lot conservative opinions and thesis here to discuss. Of course there is less value in discussing with racist or xenophobe people. Its a waste of time in most of the cases.

On topic, always happy to see people exposing their true feelings on twitter like this.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Than god for people like David Jaffe, who will always be there to fiercely defend others' right to tell me and my family that we are innately inferior and must be purged from the country.

Oct 27, 2017
The World
Resetera is very much governed like Singapore. I think this is very much a clash with the American values of free speech. I have no problem with how a person or community govern themselves, but it's totally disappointing when we judge someone and treat them as a bad person with just one comment of their entire live.

When someone says that not giving space to someone who advocates for white-nationalish/Nazism, someone who spouts transphobic shit all the time, someone who even says pedophilia is fine is ruining the country the only appropriate reaction is "Fuck David Jaffe" unless you as a person also support Nazis/White Nationalists/Pedophilia.

The American Values allows these people to spew their hate and the same American Values allow everybody else to tell them to fuck off from their private space because they are bigoted hateful pieces of shit that nobody should be promoting. David Jaffe and Milo can go to any sidewalk and spew their hate if they want to preach. And if they do, I hope someone punches Milo again.

Status
Not open for further replies.