• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Than god for people like David Jaffe, who will always be there to fiercely defend others' right to tell me and my family that we are innately inferior and must be purged from the country.
That's always the thing isn't it. People like Jaffe who bravely fight for the rights of scum like Milo Y. are enamored and affected by his false victimhood while the actual targets of his harassment, the people who have to suffer the brunt of Milo's bigoted rhetoric are expected to just tolerate it. In fact we're seen as the villains for making Milo pay the price for trying to classify black people and trans people as inhuman. If people like Jaffe fought this hard for actual marginalized groups, bigotry would be curtailed a lot more efficiently. Except as another poster mentioned before, they stem progress or outright reverse it by claiming that these tired worn out "opinions" about black inhumanity and xenophobic fearmongering deserve to be listened to or people will somehow get dumber.

Jaffe's "views" here are absolutely twisted. What's his problem exactly?
He mistakenly believes that there's no such thing as inherently violent rhetoric. To him, talk about literally culling the population to establish white supremacy is functionally harmless and doesn't produce people who put the words into action.

Last edited:

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Resetera is very much governed like Singapore. I think this is very much a clash with the American values of free speech. I have no problem with how a person or community govern themselves, but it's totally disappointing when we judge someone and treat them as a bad person with just one comment of their entire live.
Cool comparison. The Singapore government has provided infrastructure for fantastic public transportation, public healthcare, public education, while also offering tons of choices for private transportation, private healthcare, and private education for those who can afford them. The standard of living is pretty good, the food is amazing, and we have a multi-racial and multi-religious country that doesn't implode everytime someone tries to start shit. What has American values of free speech gotten the USA? Slavery, racial discrimination, a divided nation, and a paralyzed government system where no one can make any real meaningful changes to declining quality of life for millions of Americans. FUCK YEAH USA! Right? :)

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Cool comparison. The Singapore government has provided infrastructure for fantastic public transportation, public healthcare, public education, while also offering tons of choices for private transportation, private healthcare, and private education for those who can afford them. The standard of living is pretty good, the food is amazing, and we have a multi-racial and multi-religious country that doesn't implode everytime someone tries to start shit. What has American values of free speech gotten the USA? Slavery, racial discrimination, a divided nation, and a paralyzed government system where no one can make any real meaningful changes to declining quality of life for millions of Americans. FUCK YEAH USA! Right? :)
yeah but I can't spit in public so what's the point

/s

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
How fucking dumb do you have to be to see bigots rallying for a white ethnostate and think that they won't act on it? How does one force America into an ethnostate nonviolently?
To a white man like Jaffe, talk of a white ethnostate is just that; "harmless talk". He's not in the crosshairs so he doesn't have to consider how it can come about non-violently. Jaffe is worse than just ignorant though because he chastises those people who know what the rhetoric means, see how it has actually affected people (like again after Charlottesville or the synagogue shooting I don't know how people like Jaffe remain this fucking oblivious) and its ultimate goals. Sure it's "gross" to him but its a sanitized, nebulous disgust. It's disgusting because it just sounds like bigoted talk but doesn't take into account that bigoted talk ends up with victims and real human bodies who have to suffer when that talk takes hold.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
honest and real question: why are people caring that much about the opinion a failing game developper ?
I initially thought he was still working on the God of War IP at sony and was like "oh wow thats a big scandal" but actually sony took the ip from his hands and now he just makes games that no one plays like drawn to death

cyklisten

Nov 12, 2017
That's a pretty big slippery slope there

It really isn´t. Are laws against hate speech (which are already in place) a slippery slope then? Can I stand right outside your door with a megaphone shouting lies and accusations against you that will hurt, possibly destroy your entire life? Is it "a slippery slope" when you get out and tell me not to do that?

Oct 25, 2017
On a whim I was googling Jaffe over something, and one of the tweets that showed up in Google is him being outraged that not wanting to sleep with a trans woman is transphobia.

That's a pretty big slippery slope there

You could argue just as easily that having any restrictions on any speech constitutes a slippery slope, but we don't because we have the good sense to recognize the value to it.

Deplatforming the likes of Milo, Spencer, and Alex Jones has a literal, observable positive impact.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
honest and real question: why are people caring that much about the opinion a failing game developper ?
I initially thought he was still working on the God of War IP at sony and was like "oh wow thats a big scandal" but actually sony took the ip from his hands and now he just makes games that no one plays like drawn to death
I don't particularly care about Jaffe. What pisses me off enough to comment in topics like these and others to confront Jaffe is that he's a symptom of a bigger problem where "centrists" think there's a civil middle ground in the battle for peoples actual lives and existences. Jaffe is just one person but even on ResetEra proper and beyond there are people who think like him who need to know that standing idly by to tut tut the people trying to quell bigoted rhetoric that leads to bigoted action isn't something to be tolerated in the modern day just because it hides behind being a fair intellectual.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
So "NPC" now is a dark meme? I'm with Jaffe with that, I didn't know anything like that, for me NPC is Non Player Character in a videogame and that's it and it always be... wow, we are really exaggerating with this s*it.

Dec 5, 2018
Bethesda, North Wales
I'm absolutely, baffled and amazed that the people who seem to be the most ardent defenders of free speech, always seem to be the most paper thin when it comes to receiving criticism of themselves.

It's almost like that they want one rule for the things they believe in and one rule for anyone else who could possibly dare criticise them.

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
I don't get why people conflate deplatforming with stifling free speech. Milo's free to yell on a corner where he'll probably get socked in the mouth.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
So "NPC" now is a dark meme? I'm with Jaffe with that, I didn't know anything like that, for me NPC is Non Player Character in a videogame and that's it and it always be... wow, we are really exaggerating with this s*it.
Nobody is exaggerating anything. It's used within alt-right circles to disqualify the opinions, feelings and actions of individuals invested in social justice. It's one more tool of marginalization:

If Jaffe were more in touch with why people have an issue with the alt-right in the first place, people wouldn't accuse him of co-opting their language

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
Only watched the first 2 minutes of that don't have the time but I agree with how knee jerk people were in that other thread about him. Just because he doesn't share your view doesn't automatically make him a bad person.

It's not about sharing views, it's about having extremely dumb and harmful views like "Not giving an insane hate monger a platform is what's wrong with America".
Honestly, he deserves to be called out for saying horrible shit like that.

This was my problem with the reaction. Jaffe is really liberal and he said one stupid thing (and unfortunately is trying to defend his stance) and it triggered ResetEra. But that's the world we live in these days unfortunately.

"He said one stupid thing" - so he deserves to be called out for it, no?
Not sure why people should turn a blind eye to a prominent industry figure spouting harmful provocations.
And you know what else? He could have - apologized. Wow.
Instead it's suddenly everyone elses fault for telling him what they think of his statement. THAT'S the world we're living in unfortunately.

Oct 25, 2017
that's actually his most recent tweet

really putting his best foot forward into the marketplace of ideas

That was the thing that surprised me, that he's just still on his shit lol

Comparing people to non-playable characters is a super alt-right thing, and something that's been popping up mostly in alt-right circles. When Jaffe is talking about the alt-right and using something that appears to be an alt-right meme, the logical assumption is that they are connected.

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao. How does Jaffe think a white ethnostate could be established nonviolently exactly?

Like is his ego so large that with what amounts to moderate criticism and a lot of attention from ResetEra he's willing to die on stupid fucking hills like this? Jesus between this and CDPR 2018 has been a disappointing year for developers I respected.

They'll kindly ask all the unwanted people to move out. They'll even lock up their kids in cages that look like "summer camps" and Fox News will applaud the non-violent approach to internment and David Jaffe will be seen tweeting about how the alt-right are alright because they're so kind and compassionate in their hatred of fellow man.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
It's not about sharing views, it's about having extremely dumb and harmful views like "Not giving an insane hate monger a platform is what's wrong with America".

Not sure why people should turn a blind eye to a prominent industry figure spouting harmful provocations.
Instead it's suddenly everyone elses fault for telling him what they think of his statement. THAT'S the world we're living in unfortunately.

Right? Jaffe chose to double down when he was challenged and proven to be acting like an expert in his ignorance. If he wants to continue to be wrong, people are free to continue to call him out.

Arnold2

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Well. I made this new account because I really like the site. I've got banned once by my political view being different of the main of the site. I've got banned for "facism" that really get me sad. Because I don't harm no one and not disrespect anyone. I promised myself that never was going to discut sensitive matters here. Because I can get banned just for saying my opinion. Not blaming anyone or not. Just stating a True event and how a ifelt. I really love to talk about games and industry. And this site has awesome members on it. I agree with a lot Jaffe said. And desagree with some. I really want era to grow on a healthy way. I've been here since from day 1. I putting myself only on the games threads here because it is what make me love this place.there much to grow here on Era on my opinion, be more open minded on diferents ways of views and such. And I want it to grow because it's an awesome site. I would love to see Jaffe having an account and discuting here on a respectful and healthy way. It would be great

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it's an alt-right meme to describe the left. If you're getting mad at leftist Era posters for acknowledging the existence of this meme, you're either getting mad at the wrong side or making a bad faith drive by post.

Just takes a couple seconds to Google and learn for yourself about a meme you don't know about.

DryCreek

Oct 25, 2017
I think it takes 3 seconds looking at ERA for anyone who was around when GAF was an hot darling of the industry to understand the trust is gone. I don't think the industry at large dislikes ERA, at least not as much as ERA seems to dislike the industry itself, but it definitely doesn't want to get involved with it as a community as it did during the peak days of GAF.

And honestly, can you blame them? For better or worse, be it videogames or Etcetera, every single day is a long parade of "In today's episode of All Corporations and Industries Suck and the People Working in Them Are Monsters™, here's 5 more blog posts from 2007 by people you should start to petition against".

I still believe ERA has its heart in the right place, and I'll still take making the community safe and welcoming to everyone over making it more popular with "celebrities", but I feel like the discussion has not-so-slowly devolved into the kind of exausting, never ending purity testing that ultimately leads communities like this to collapse or isolate themselves from everything else.

Not true m8
everyone i know in the industry migrated over to GAF when everyone else did.

people in the industry generally dont engage with non-devs because they dont wanna risk breaking NDA or because they are trying to explain something complicated to a group of people that dont want to understand why the way something is, and this behavior isnt exclusive to ERA its a "gamer culture" problem.

Jaffe did get banned from GAF remember....

Oct 25, 2017
Well. I made this new account because I really like the site. I've got banned once by my political view being different of the main of the site. I've got banned for "facism" that really get me sad. Because I don't harm no one and not disrespect anyone. I promised myself that never was going to discut sensitive matters here. Because I can get banned just for saying my opinion. Not blaming anyone or not. Just stating a True event and how a ifelt. I really love to talk about games and industry. And this site has awesome members on it. I agree with a lot Jaffe said. And desagree with some. I really want era to grow on a healthy way. I've been here since from day 1. I putting myself only on the games threads here because it is what make me love this place.there much to grow here on Era on my opinion, be more open minded on diferents ways of views and such. And I want it to grow because it's an awesome site. I would love to see Jaffe having an account and discuting here on a respectful and healthy way. It would be great

what'd you say

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
In

This.

He didn't call someone an asshole, he admitted that he has certain views. And those deserve to be called out.

Gotta love how an apparently 'irrelevant' David Jaffe gets multiple 20+ threads just for sharing an opinion.

You'll learn one day, Era.
When talking about video games he isn't relevant anymore.
Now he is relevant again because of his views and bc he called out Era.

Mods, could you give all those people here that don't like the board nor his users maybe a hand?

UltimusXI

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like his views in the video are very reasonable and he seems honest about all of it, but I haven't been following any of the outrage that triggered it.

However, I'm reading a couple responses in this thread. Can I really not call actual video game characters "NPC's" anymore without being frowned upon? I've been saying that word for like two decades. (well I barely ever used the word, but still) So it's come to this that they adopt a word in a bad way and I can't use it in the way I've always used it and meaning what it actually always meant (and still does to me)? Sorry, but that's crazy.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I can only imagine the blowback if a public figure denounced Nazis

You know that's not the point. In fact, I think in this particular moment denouncing Nazis is a pretty efficient communication strategy, to the point I'm suspecting more than a few people of people who make a point in doing so do it for brownie points - I've recently witnessed an italian author denouncing neo-nazis for having a museum exhibition closed due to the scating name of a painting, and in the same thread on Facebook I've seen him tell a woman who said "language is important" that he shouldn't complain when they rape her. Go figure.

Again, I'm not advocating for ERA to change or to renounce its values. They're good. Fighting Nazis is a good thing. But the problem with purity tests (and we have PLENTY of evidence with the history of leftist parties, expecially in Europe, that keep splitting up as the litmus is moved ever higher) is that if you want to partecipate in the community you need A) to accept that you will give up on a part of your potential audience because you can't be silent about your values and they don't align with theirs and B) you'll be put through constant scrutiny and all your past and present will be constantly judged. You have a giant, anonymous audience and you're not anonymous (you can't be, otherwise what's the point?) and so the tribunal will always be on.

I don't see public figures wanting to partecipate in the somewhat insane but vibrant way they did on (old) GAF. As others pointed out, the industry had grown to hate GAF. I want to think ERA is liked better, but I suspect it still "scares" most people off. Is this wrong? No. It's just a matter of fact. I'm strongly convinced that the admins are fairly content with it, in fact.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017

Gotta love people shitting out they're opinion without doing any sort of research like a single google search.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Not true m8
everyone i know in the industry migrated over to GAF when everyone else did.

Jaffe did get banned from GAF remember....

I think I'm seeing a lot less industry insiders and personalities partecipating compared to "old GAF". I do not think it's a problem with ERA specifically - it had already started on GAF several years before.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
I don't know what's the big deal about his comments that they deserve this much attention, people have a right to be wrong, but replies to his video are amusing, apparently you guys are running a pedophile ring or something like that.

That being said, while some of his comments are true (let's not pretend that forum at large will tolerate someone openly conservative), equating far left to the alt-right is just fucking dumb, arguing for deplatforming someone is not the same thing as arguing for a violent action against entire group of people or promoting hate against them. This is the core difference that gets overlooked on his part.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I feel like his views in the video are very reasonable and he seems honest about all of it, but I haven't been following any of the outrage that triggered it.

However, I'm reading a couple responses in this thread. Can I really not call actual video game characters "NPC's" anymore without being frowned upon? I've been saying that word for like two decades. (well I barely ever used the word, but still) So it's come to this that they adopt a word in a bad way and I can't use it in the way I've always used it and meaning what it actually always meant (and still does to me)? Sorry, but that's crazy.
Nobody is exaggerating anything. It's used within alt-right circles to disqualify the opinions, feelings and actions of individuals invested in social justice. It's one more tool of marginalization:

If Jaffe were more in touch with why people have an issue with the alt-right in the first place, people wouldn't accuse him of co-opting their language

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
where the hell are y'all getting this

the 'NPC' alt right meme is a very specific meme

no one is gatekeeping what you call them in game

DryCreek

Oct 25, 2017

The NPC thing is a reference to an alt-right meme where they call progressives "NPC's" as they believe progressives are a hive-mind that dont think for themselves. It's a classic dehumanizing tactic that is used to dismiss arguments without actually engaging with the point made at-all.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
'you cant say something someody disagrees with without being treated like a moron?'

you know, i like resetera but that statement is so accurate its not even funny.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
So I'm currently talking to him on Twitter about this. I don't think this guy is very bright...

How does he think other countries have come to ban hate speech? Does he honestly think their citizens didn't do what we're doing now?

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Guys, come on..

Of course you can say NPC when talking about video games.
Like: "yesterday I did that one NPC quest in RDR 2, where you have to collect some stuff and.." but that is not how he and others used it.
Please people, Google is free. Use it..

UltimusXI

Oct 27, 2017
where the hell are y'all getting this

the 'NPC' alt right meme is a very specific meme

no one is gatekeeping what you call them in game
Well, from the responses to SixelAlexiS 's post, where he/she talks about it in a video game context and where people tell him / her (and now also me) to educate myself.

I know the meme, I know they've adopted the word, but in a video game context, a 'non playable character' is still an NPC in my mind. That's what the word was invented for.

Edit: alright, I get that I may have read some responses too quickly.

xICHIGOx

Oct 27, 2017
You guys should come to italy and talk with our shitty premier Matteo Salvini lol the Europe is trasforming into a shitty hateful place to live if you're black or a migrants, this shit have to end: nobody have the right to judge someone because they've a different skin color.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Yeah, that is not the problem with his argument.

I should clarify that that quote is out of context. My reply was in response to this tweet.

A large percentage of society has already enacted such laws... outside of the United States. And on the internet, we can't pretend to only exist in our own little bubble of a country.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm currently talking to him on Twitter about this. I don't think this guy is very bright...

How does he think other countries came to ban hate speech? Does he honestly think their citizens didn't do what we're doing now?

I've been following your discussion on Twitter for a bit now and he clearly doesn't want to admit he was wrong and just. Keeps. Doubling. Down. Or going off on irrelevant tangents.

If he agrees (and he does) that Milo should be banned if he broke the Twitter TOS (which he did), then he's arguing what exactly?

Last edited:

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Only reason I came in this thread was because it was still active. To see what's up. Guys it's Jaffee, who cares?
I don't particularly care about Jaffe. What pisses me off enough to comment in topics like these and others to confront Jaffe is that he's a symptom of a bigger problem where "centrists" think there's a civil middle ground in the battle for peoples actual lives and existences. Jaffe is just one person but even on ResetEra proper and beyond there are people who think like him who need to know that standing idly by to tut tut the people trying to quell bigoted rhetoric that leads to bigoted action isn't something to be tolerated in the modern day just because it hides behind being a fair intellectual.

Status
Not open for further replies.