• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
That's what you get, when you feel a personal responsibility to do PR work for a plastic box.

I've always been honest with myself about being a fanboy, but holy hell people need to step away from their keyboard and not feel the need to crucify a legitimate journalist for reporting what he's been told. NOTHING that was said from what I've seen, has contradicted the schreier article at all. He literally said in the bloomberg article "some were worried they'd be absorbed" and Jeff literally confirmed that some probably felt that way and he can understand why, but it just wasn't the case.

Edit- I don't get it... Do people genuinely think schrier is out here trying to write a hit piece on sony? What's the motivation? This line of thinking is a joke.
Seriously, schreier is doing good things for this industry, shining a light on crunch and other problematic working conditions. People who are calling for his head because he said something that could be seen as negative about sony need a serious reality check

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Someone just asked the question if Sony Bend could become independent so Microsoft can buy them... lol.

They paid $10 to ask it as well.

Screenshot_2021-04-11_at_21.35.10.png

robinium7

Jul 25, 2020
Ireland
Jason article was almost spot on, but framed in a way to push a specific narrative (on top of leaking the games which was a big yikes.There was no need to leak TLOU remake. Would have been a fantastic reveal...).
Exactly, that's my issue. It was framed in a strange, inaccurate way, painting all of these things as negative, unusual things when in fact, they were just normal game industry goings on and efficient use for resources. He should be above that type of clickbait reporting. Let's not even get started on the poor wording of the title.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Any summaries of the key takeaways/points in the convo? Would be great to see this in the OP.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
And as it turns out, studio japan closed it's doors not long after that article got called FUD, stealth xbox propaganda, etc.

The state of discussion surrounding anything sony is extremely difficult to take part in right now.

Let's not pretend this forum isn't "dooming" Sony and calling for Jim Ryan's head for weeks. Jason's article was taken out of proportion.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Exactly, that's my issue. It was framed in a strange, inaccurate way, painting all of these things as negative, unusual things when in fact, they were just normal game industry goings on and efficient use for resources. He should be above that type of clickbait reporting. Let's not even get started on the poor wording of the title.

Maybe if you're in the defensive you'll interpret it that way. Everything I've heard from Jeff here confirms schreiers article as well sourced and entirely accurate. His article doesn't even take a firm stance on any of this, it literally says some are uneasy with the direction change.

robinium7

Jul 25, 2020
Ireland
Seriously, schreier is doing good things for this industry, shining a light on crunch and other problematic working conditions. People who are calling for his head because he said something that could be seen as negative about sony need a serious reality check
Him shining a light on crunch doesn't make him immune from criticism after he frames an article in a way which is designed to stir up drama and controversy despite nothing wrong actually going on.

jschreier responds to responses that state Day’s Gone 2 was in production when Jeff Ross left Bend.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't watched the video, but if Jeff Ross said that Days Gone 2 was in production when he left, he was not telling the truth.

And if he said that Bend was "never" going to become a Naughty Dog support studio, he was making an overstatement about decisions that'd be made over his head in the first place. Besides, have none of you ever worked at companies where management said some corporate shenanigans would never happen and then of course they inevitably happened? You people can be so naive sometimes. Someone at Naughty Dog told me a couple of weeks ago that they already half-jokingly refer to Bend as Naughty Dog North. Would that actually happen? I have no idea, and neither does Jeff Ross.

And please go away with the Sony defense force console war bullshit. It's so transparent.

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe some of these things being normal industry goings is bad

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Jeff just straight up said Bloomberg article is BS, new thread.
I don't see the contradiction, he just disagrees with whoever said they felt like they could end up becoming ND North, but still says he can see their point of view. Still, they were in a support capacity, had a game allegedly cancelled and had to ask to be removed from the project so they could do their own thing. Seems like it started for a good enough reason, but became a concern as things kept going, but ultimately was resolved.

So was "Jeff just straight up said Bloomberg article is BS" a misleading, confirmation bias-laden attempt at paraphrasing, or is that indeed what he said?

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Let's not pretend this forum isn't "dooming" Sony and calling for Jim Ryan's head for weeks. Jason's article was taken out of proportion.

I don't love sonys current direction, whether thats jim's fault? Probably not, but right now he's the face of the playstation so he takes the brunt of the frustration. Its easy to be frustrated by for instance, Sonys lackluster BC support and tie that back to jim "who cares... The game is old" ryan

That being said it's always going to be hyperbolic. This article on the other hand was not. If you read it from an objective standpoint and not playing constant defense for sony, it matches beat for beat what Jeff said today.

You can be frustrated with some of sonys future planning and still be a sony fan. Its perfectly ok for people to have a negative opinion of your favorite companies decisions.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I haven't watched the video, but if Jeff Ross said that Days Gone 2 was in production when he left, he was not telling the truth.

And if he said that Bend was "never" going to become a Naughty Dog support studio, he was making an overstatement about decisions that'd be made over his head in the first place. Besides, have none of you ever worked at companies where management said some corporate shenanigans would never happen and then of course they inevitably happened? You people can be so naive sometimes. Someone at Naughty Dog told me a couple of weeks ago that they already half-jokingly refer to Bend as Naughty Dog North. Would that actually happen? I have no idea, and neither does Jeff Ross.

And please go away with the Sony defense force console war bullshit. It's so transparent.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Jason needs to address this. Really surprised at the framing of the article now.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
I'm not sure what you mean by the second statement? It's not good that a well made and financially successful game is perceived to warrant a sequel?
It's not that it warrants a sequel or not, it's that a sequel shouldn't be the de facto next step for every successful game, there's a long list of viable reason why that may not be the best next step, and there's also a long list of undesired sequels in the industry that prove this.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

I don't think he said the first part, at least I haven't heard that so I think it was a misinterpretation by one of the users here?

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018

Did you try to reach Jeff Ross or John Gavin at some point?

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017

A lot of people in here obviously have no experience with corpos who tell half truths if not just outright lie constantly.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I don't love sonys current direction, whether thats jim's fault? Probably not, but right now he's the face of the playstation so he takes the brunt of the frustration. Its easy to be frustrated by for instance, Sonys lackluster BC support and tie that back to jim "who cares... The game is old" ryan

That being said it's always going to be hyperbolic. This article on the other hand was not. If you read it from an objective standpoint and not playing constant defense for sony, it matches beat for beat what Jeff said today.

You can be frustrated with some of sonys future planning and still be a sony fan. Its perfectly ok for people to have a negative opinion of your favorite companies decisions.

I'm also a disappointed fan with many things, sadly. Not in a rush to get a PS5 at all. But this forum is really hard to have any kind of conversation right now, hyperbole runs wild.

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
Him shining a light on crunch doesn't make him immune from criticism after he frames an article in a way which is designed to stir up drama and controversy despite nothing wrong actually going on.
Of course it doesn't make him immune of criticism, I just think the article wasn't even as inflammatory as some of the people here make it out to be. And to call for him facing repercussions for that article is way overboard imo. He usually shines a light on the not ideal working conditions in this industry and some stuff he described in that article were non ideal working conditions. Disagree, fine, no issue with that, but asking for diminishing his reputation after reading some out of context quotes here... Please

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
So was "Jeff just straight up said Bloomberg article is BS" a misleading, confirmation bias-laden attempt at paraphrasing, or is that indeed what he said?

It's certainly no less misleading or confirmation bias-laden than the takes being repeated over and over. Jeff said the Naughty Dog situation was a positive one to give employees work, that's certainly not how it's been spun.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
A lot of people in here obviously have no experience with corpos who tell half truths if not just outright lie constantly.

Well that's the issue, they'll take any pr speak as bible. When the bloomberg japan article came out, sony came out and explained it away. Then studio japan closes and that's still not enough to convince people there is truth there.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017

Get em!

Det

Jul 30, 2020

Sure that might be correct. But as Jeff also mentioned; they expanded drastically to develop Days Gone (40 --> 120 FTE), and once it shipped, those employees had to work on something, hence helping support another project while spinning up their next game's dev cycle - whether that is Days Gone 2 or a new IP, which appears likely, is irrelevant. The point being, that is incredibly common in game development under a publisher, when there is currently nothing that requires the studio at large, they pitch in to help out. Not denying either/or, both can be simultaneously true. No issue with your article BTW, it's always interesting to have a sneak peek behind the curtain, appreciate it.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Did you try to reach Jeff Ross or Gavin at some point?
I'm sure you can understand why, outside of whatever was in the article, I won't say who I contacted for a story like this. But everything in the article is and remains accurate, despite Sony fanboys looking for any opportunity to wage war in defense of their favorite billion-dollar corporation.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
It's not that it warrants a sequel or not, it's that a sequel shouldn't be the de facto next step for every successful game, there's a long list of viable reason why that may not be the best next step, and there's also a long list of undesired sequels in the industry that prove this.
Nothing's in absolutes, but new IP is a vast majority of the time made with the intent on making a franchise. Whether it's AAA or smaller. The developers, publishers, fans, almost all of them want success to be able to make a sequel.

Of course there will be times things are one and done and we can move on to fresh ideas so it's not just hollywood rehash, but I think its a bit naive to think it's unhealthy to strive for franchises. It's security for the people at studios.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017

Did you talk to Jeff at all?

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
And Jason schreiers article literally said people were worried and a bit nervous they'd be absorbed, not that things were actually trending that way. The real issue I took from the schreier piece was that, employees aren't feeling super comfortable and they have been shedding quite a bit of talent in favor of different avenues. Days gone 2 being canned is a pretty huge revelation, and multiple major figures such as Jeff leaving are extremely relevant pieces of information. It's tough to spin it as overblown imo.
The funny thing about the article was it was never about the actual games, that was just standard industry BS, it's just what people jumped on (though I'm not sure why Jason thought they wouldn't completely overshadow the actual story) it was about some people not being happy with upper management overlooking them, 1 a small group who wanted to become more than just a support team, that ultimately became a support team on their own project (TLoU Remake) and some people at Bend who didn't get a sequel they wanted, so left.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
damn, they really buried the lede there

it's amazing what a simple (albeit messy) interview can uncover directly from a source rather than possibly heavily editorialized anonymous sources. Bend working support in the early days of a project is normal, kept people employed and in the creative process, and the "fear of" being absorbed or some sort of permanent sattelite studio was completely unfounded. Jason's article was factually correct but shamefully stripped of context. That's the issue here.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
I'm sure you can understand why, outside of whatever was in the article, I won't say who I contacted for a story like this. But everything in the article is and remains accurate, despite Sony fanboys looking for any opportunity to wage war in defense of their favorite billion-dollar corporation.
Fair, thanks for answering.

Oct 25, 2017
Are people seriously asking if one of the sources that were not named for obvious reasons are one of two very specific, publicly known developers?

Are you guys for real?

LMAO

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South

When someone who would understandably be in good authority to known this stuff casts a shadow of doubt over your reporting, maybe, maybe you need to do a bit better than name calling people? Maybe?

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry no one is doing console war. This is about your article bro. You can see my posts and I have been critical of Sony since your story broke. Now it feels like you didn't even talk to Jeff for the story?

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Im behind. But the Q&A technical difficulties made me turn off. So cringe.

Holy shit. The caller trashing the game. What a shit show 🤣