• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

out_of_touch

Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible to day drink in moderation without turning into a bad habit? I've only done it once last year and had a blast. Definitely seems like a slippery slope, so I've never really been into the idea but now I'm more open to it. Any tips or advice on day drinking?

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Depends why you want too do it and how much. Are you day drinking alone at home?

Again its up too you, but it can be difficult to break a habit. I only drink at night if im going out to a pub or club.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
What's the context?
I occasionally day drink socially with friends, usually for a birthday or other celebration that starts early, or maybe a Sunday session in the pub.

But drinking heavily alone in the day probably isn't the best idea.

Anyway, pace yourself, and drink low alcohol drinks. And stay hydrated or you'll get a headache early on.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
Yeah? I mean this is common like drinking water in Germany. I mean we even have a beer or two during our lunch break here (although not so commonly in winter) then head back to the office. In summer we go to beer gardens all the time lol. What's wrong with drinking in the day? I guess if the only reason you drink is to get completely drunk, but that seems like a really shitty drinking culture and lack of good alcohol.

This is the first I have heard of only drinking alcohol at night, is this really a thing in some cultures?

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
The time of day has nothing to do with it becoming a habit lol.

I wish I could day drink though. I'm too busy to. Only on vacations.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Day drinking, sure. But don't get Day-hammered unless you want to obliterate your evening with a hangover.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes? It's fine. Some of you massively overthink things.

Having the odd drink during the day doesn't mean you'll spiral into alcoholism and end up living under a bridge shaking your carrier bags full of dog shit at passing cars shouting "I used to work in an office".

Sometimes I'll have a pint at lunch on a workday. Sometimes I'll go out for lunch with the family and have a day time drink. Sometimes I'll have a BBQ and drink numerous drinks during the day. Having a delicious drink in the middle of the day is lovely *eyes bridge*

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah? I mean this is common like drinking water in Germany. I mean we even have a beer or two during our lunch break here (although not so commonly in winter) then head back to the office. In summer we go to beer gardens all the time lol. What's wrong with drinking in the day? I guess if the only reason you drink is to get completely drunk, but that seems like a really shitty drinking culture and lack of good alcohol.

This is the first I have heard of only drinking alcohol at night, is this really a thing in some cultures?

Same in the Netherlands. Relatively common to see people grabbing a drink at a cafe in the afternoon, in particular those with outdoor seating.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
Having a drink during the day now and then is ok, as long as you don't need three drinks just to get through the day. Drinking alone certainly is a red flag though.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree with the other person who said if you're doing it by yourself without an event in mind, that I'd warn you against it. Then again, I will have a few beers by myself at night on a Friday if I have no plans. So perhaps I'm guilty of not taking my own advice.

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I'll have a few during the day at home on the weekends when I'm doing some house work or just watching sports or playing vids.

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
I used to be able to do it pretty well, but now I'm an alcoholic so "day drinking" is just "starting early."

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
My partner and I have a rule about how many non-special-occasion drinks we're allowed to have per week. Doesn't matter what time of day it is.

Family has a history of alcoholism so I'm overly careful.

OP
OP
out_of_touch

out_of_touch

Oct 25, 2017
Depends why you want too do it and how much. Are you day drinking alone at home?

Again its up too you, but it can be difficult to break a habit. I only drink at night if im going out to a pub or club.
What's the context?
I occasionally day drink socially with friends, usually for a birthday or other celebration that starts early, or maybe a Sunday session in the pub.

But drinking heavily alone in the day probably isn't the best idea.

Anyway, pace yourself, and drink low alcohol drinks. And stay hydrated or you'll get a headache early on.
Yeah i'm like you guys I only drink when going out with friends. I'm having the urge to get absolutely wasted alone at home though lol

Yes day drinking is looked down upon around here. The mentality is to wait until night

jakncoke

Nov 5, 2017
My advice as a recovering alcoholic. Dont. Even. At first you can manage then its a slippery slope. Your tolerance builds, your relationships strain or out right break. Your logic flaws more and more. Your instinct to not drive buzzed or drunk goes away because you dont feel like youre drunk when in reality your baseline for the day is usually already above .08

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The only time I drink during the day is if I'm visiting family or at a social gathering, or out having a meal or snack with my wife. Otherwise, I wait until the late evening when I want to relax.

I know people who start drinking in the morning or afternoon, and they're just wrecks.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i don't see the difference between drinking at the pub after work or at 11 A.M. on a weekend or day off. could mean you have a serious problem, could not

same with "drinking alone". like everybody throws up that red flag but that could mean one thing or the other

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio, USA
Yes? It's fine. Some of you massively overthink things.

Having the odd drink during the day doesn't mean you'll spiral into alcoholism and end up living under a bridge shaking your carrier bags full of dog shit at passing cars shouting "I used to work in an office".

Sometimes I'll have a pint at lunch on a workday. Sometimes I'll go out for lunch with the family and have a day time drink. Sometimes I'll have a BBQ and drink numerous drinks during the day. Having a delicious drink in the middle of the day is lovely *eyes bridge*
This. Just know your limit and you'll be fine. I always stop at one or two no matter the time of day because I know it makes me tired. That just has the address benefit of keeping me from overdrinking (and I always make sure to eat and drink water too to avoid hangovers)

Deleted member 15948

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nursing a drink over a weekend afternoon while playing some nice video games? No worries. Getting hammered alone? Nah man, that's bad news.

I also have a personal rule that I can't even have a single sip unless I have no plans to get in the car for the rest of the day.

boomroasted

Oct 25, 2017
Day drinking can be tough because at some point you have to decide whether to stop and fall asleep at 7 or keep going and get hammered.

If you're just having one or two drinks at lunch or a BBQ or whatever that's no big deal.

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
depends on the occasion I think - airports? Hell yeah. Work night shifts? Sure. Before work or just because it's the weekend? Ehhh...

I'm posting this as I drink bloody Marys at 10am because my wife and I are snowed in at a ski lodge, so I don't have much room to judge

Oct 27, 2017

This is not as common as this post might make it out to be.

Feb 15, 2018
Is it not normal? I mean I don't drink AT WORK, but I love me a mimosa.
maxresdefault.jpg

Rackham

Oct 25, 2017
Whenever I go out for lunch I usually have a whiskey or hard cider if they're available.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
I have an occasional beer on during the day with my lunch/dinner since I work a night shift.

I'm a lightweight (both my little brother and sister have higher tolerances than me) so it only takes 1 10% beer to give me a buzz. This is a positive to me since I need less alcohol to feel a buzz. 2 beers usually makes me way too drowsy so I try to find a middle ground.
Ofcourse no more than 2 beers on workdays is the easy rule.
Also no alcohol in the hours before a work shift.

Feb 15, 2018
I have an occasional beer on during the day with my lunch/dinner since I work a night shift.

I'm a lightweight (both my little brother and sister have higher tolerances than me) so it only takes 1 10% beer to give me a buzz. This is a positive to me since I need less alcohol to feel a buzz. 2 beers usually makes me way too drowsy so I try to find a middle ground.

1 10% beer? That's a pretty strong beer dude

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
It was the slippery slope for me when I started to justify day drinking. Be careful with it.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Is it possible to day drink in moderation without turning into a bad habit? I've only done it once last year and had a blast. Definitely seems like a slippery slope, so I've never really been into the idea but now I'm more open to it. Any tips or advice on day drinking?

I'm day drinking right now, don't really see the issue.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It depends on a variety of factors. Are you drinking everyday? How many drinks? Is this happening when you shouldn't be drinking i.e. on the job or driving? I've done it. It's ridiculous that you have to wait to a certain time. You can have breakfast for dinner if you want as well.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Alcoholism, like all addictions, is more about the way your brain is wired than the specifics of what you're doing.
There are many people who can enjoy social drinking for many years, during the day or night, without losing control of their lives. And some people's life is ruined by rather small amounts of alcohol.

I would say this - if your friends tell you you have a problem, believe them. Pretty much all alcoholics think they're fine at first. And the other thing, try to take a break from drinking every now and then, if this is something that you struggle with, go seek help, immediately.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
When I was younger I would do that. Now, I just feel tired after a couple drinks in the day if I have something at lunch or go to a brewery.

Feb 15, 2018
User Banned (2 Weeks): Inappropriate content across various threads
Here's old bae getting smashed at a brewery with me

MOD EDIT: Removal of Inappropriate Content

Last edited by a moderator:

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I used to feel so bad when I worked nights. Every saturday morning, I'd usually stop by the local convenience store on my way home and buy some beers at like 7:30 am. And I'd drink them that morning before taking a nap. Just wanted to relax after a tough week of work since it was my equivalent of a friday night but it always made me feel super weird and guilty lol.

When I went back to normal hours, I would still day drink occasionally. But yeah it can be a slippery slope depending on your personality. Some people are good at setting reasonable boundaries for themselves, others are not. I was having too many internal debates about how much was too much, where was the exact limit, would one more drink be okay, etc. So I just decided to stop altogether before it turned ugly.