• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
I think that large part of the defensiveness from those that like the game is that the main accusation against it - that it is generic - falls in that category of criticism that is subjective, unquantifiable, and commonly used to dismiss something in a disingenuous fashion (like saying something is pretentious, for instance).

That is to say, it rings hollow. All media is derivative, what stands out is due the execution of the ideas, usually (particular angles taken, particularities about the mix of ideas, etc).

If you want to say something is generic (or pretentious), you have to make a really, really good case for it. And most people (including the games media) failed miserably at that.

Last edited:

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
You're talking about completely different (non interactive) mediums, so I'm not sure that argument is necessarily nearly as strong.

These sorts of sales figures etc already argue otherwise anyway, in that clearly many consumers out there don't think zombie games are overly played or have zombie fatigue or whatever, else games like Days Gone wouldn't be selling as well as they are.
Do video games live in a vacuum? Everything is competing for time and mind share. Considering the glut of zombie content post 2000 after the relatively barren 90s it's fair for people to say they've had their fill.

Still don't know what this has to do with Switch platformers mind.

Last edited:

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, what? I've had a switch since launch. How is my personal taste dumb?
Completely different kinds of games that literally share nothing in common other than a vague "anime" artstyle, and yet happen to all be on a specific system, brought up out of nowhere when we are discussing the idea of "generic", is innocent coincidence? Aight.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Completely different kinds of games that literally share nothing in common other than a vague "anime" artstyle, and yet happen to all be on a specific system, brought up out of nowhere when we are discussing the idea of "generic", is innocent coincidence? Aight.
They happen to be three recent games that are pretty popular. I can bring up ps4 examples too if it matters that much. I just said to me anime in general all blends in for the most part. For some people zombies do.

Oct 30, 2017
Amazing fun game that exceeded my expectations... Congratulations Bend you guys are awesome and can't wait for the sequel which I'm sure will be MASSIVE.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
It's a really good game that deserves its success, but this might be the first time I have ever seen anyone unironically suggest that Days Gone is not generic.

Days Gone is a really good, great, in fact, game that is the textbook definition of generic.

So much salt in this thread, including from people who are commenting on the "salt". Yeesh.

Yeah, I think people got so defensive against toxicity, they became toxic themselves. Happens all the time on the internet.

Uh huh, I spent the last two pages before this one talking down the people hating on Days Gone, but me calling out a stupid false equivalence is me gettin bothered, fam

Sure, Jan.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Uh huh, I spent the last two pages before this one talking down the people hating on Days Gone, but me calling out a stupid false equivalence is me gettin bothered, fam
You still said it's generic though in defense of other people saying it's generic and that ends up snowballing. There is no good reason to call it generic.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Absolutely loved it. Can't wait for a sequel. They deserve every sale, despite what haters would have you believe.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
It is August tho. Still impressive since the year is almost over.
I agree. All I'm saying is I'm more impressed with the overall 6th rank (among all those sequelitis juggernauts) than I am with top new IP of 2019 given how small the latter list is. I wasn't intending to downplay its success.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
I don't see people throwing the term generic for beat em up or a plethora of platformers.

There was (actually, still is) a weird campaign against DG going on here ever since they showed the E3 trailer.
"Generic" next to "zombie fatigue" were the low hanging fruits, made it easy to snipe at Days Gone.
Personally, I haven't played a Biker game since the GTA Sons of Liberty DLC, haven't fought zombie hordes since Dead Rising 3.

IMO the "generic factor" in Days Gone was there for sure, but it wasn't more or less generic than 99% of games released this year.
This is a sequel-based, copycat medium period.

Days Gone is my GOTY.

It's up there for me as well. I enjoyed RE2, Sekiro and Judgment a lot too. Loving FE:TH right now.
But Days Gone was the game I enjoyed the most.

Days Gone is one of those games where it's easy to pick holes in it, but I really like it. One of those 7/10s that goes on to become a bit of a cult classic.

Yup. Framerate, audio design, tailing missions, first 10hrs...
By contrast, it's hard to explain (for me) what makes the game so good. It's one of those games that either clicks with you at some point or it doesn't.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
That is awesome. Because I really like the game, and want to play another game like it. Can you point out to me another open world with a biker gang themed game? Since is generic must be tons of those games like that.

Great point.
That's the only one that comes to my mind. And it's a DLC from 2009.....

latest

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Can't wait for the sequel!!

The last third of the game was the best shit I played this year, and I really liked the begining as well, having to manage resources really carefully.

I wish they would have left the player choices in, for me that hurt the Iron Mike storyline a bit, which in turn made the middle part deag a bit too long.

Other than that I loved the game

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like DG quite a bit, but the only real competition it had was Anthem, right?

Oct 27, 2017
I think that large part of the defensiveness from those that like the game is that the main accusation against it - that it is generic - falls in that category of criticism that is subjective, unquantifiable, and commonly used to dismiss something in a disingenuous fashion (like saying something is pretentious, for instance).

That is to say, it rings hollow. All media is derivative, what stands out is due the execution of the ideas, usually (particular angles taken, particularities about the mix of ideas, etc).

If you want to say something is generic (or pretentious), you have to make a really, really good case for it. And most people (including the games media) failed miserably at that.

Agree with this. Generic was thrown about in every single Days Gone thread but no one was ever satisfactorily able to explain why it was generic. Starring a white guy and zombies does not make something generic; as you say it's down to execution.

You can clearly says parts of Days Gone are derivative in some ways, it has many tropes of the open world genre but how the game is constructed and layered and the approaches to combat with hordes and the mixture of AI entities in the open world etc is not quite like anything I've played before. It got a lot of heat in some reviews for being repetitive, but if you're levelling that complaint at Days Gone then surely you have to level it at every other game; they're all built around doing mechanically the same things in similar areas. I'm doing the same stuff in RDR2 and AC Odyssey after many, many hours.

I've just never seen a game have such a negative aura around it before anyone has really given it a chance. What summed up the state of Era on the game for me was when I made a thread asking for reasons why Deacon was generic and then asking for thoughts on what improvements could be made to the character to make him less generic in people's eyes, or more interesting to the game as a whole - thread was locked almost immediately with the reasoning "No productive discussion to be had about a game none of us have played". I mean.....I've yet to see a thread before or since get shut down because we haven't played a game and I doubt I will. The hate boner for Days Gone is been fascinating.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Agree with this. Generic was thrown about in every single Days Gone thread but no one was ever satisfactorily able to explain why it was generic. Starring a white guy and zombies does not make something generic; as you say it's down to execution.

You can clearly says parts of Days Gone are derivative in some ways, it has many tropes of the open world genre but how the game is constructed and layered and the approaches to combat with hordes and the mixture of AI entities in the open world etc is not quite like anything I've played before. It got a lot of heat in some reviews for being repetitive, but if you're levelling that complaint at Days Gone then surely you have to level it at every other game; they're all built around doing mechanically the same things in similar areas. I'm doing the same stuff in RDR2 and AC Odyssey after many, many hours.

I've just never seen a game have such a negative aura around it before anyone has really given it a chance. What summed up the state of Era on the game for me was when I made a thread asking for reasons why Deacon was generic and then asking for thoughts on what improvements could be made to the character to make him less generic in people's eyes, or more interesting to the game as a whole - thread was locked almost immediately with the reasoning "No productive discussion to be had about a game none of us have played". I mean.....I've yet to see a thread before or since get shut down because we haven't played a game and I doubt I will. The hate boner for Days Gone is been fascinating.

Damn, even the mods were against it? Man that's rough. Real rough. And you're right, I've never seen a game get this kind of negativity before release. I feel like we should do something about it, but what?

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
I got the game on sale and with game share. I'm glad I didn't pay full price for it, it isn't a bad game but I just can't force myself to play it for more than an hour.

I think it might be all the meaningless driving back and forth.

OP
OP
MilesQ

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017

Crackdown 3 threads were much, much worse.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Where you been. This was supposed to be the biggest bomb to ever bomb if you stayed on this place
Did you not see people calling days gone to be a flop?
It is easy to say that something would obviously be successful ... after being successful
"Mediocre" singleplayer focused game beating From's next game and EA's new GAAS ?
hell not

More proof that people on ERA are living in a bubble.
While Days Gone didnt have the same marketing push as other big singleplayer titles.
Alot of the media that was released of the game looked really good.

Hell anytime I saw a horde I was genuinely impressed and when I would show my non-forum users friends gameplay of Days Gone even they would be shocked that the game isnt getting as much hype.

Im not surprised it sold well above "flop" levels.
The "generic zombie" game genre when given this amount of attention will still sell in the real world.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I knew DS was gonna do good, the Sony first party game momentum is just way too strong at the moment.

But never expected to set any records. Good for Bend.

Oct 27, 2017
I think it might be all the meaningless driving back and forth.

Just curious as to why it's meaningless in Days Gone? Is it more meaningless than riding a horse back and forth in RDR2 or Odyssey or Origins? As a mode of transportation in an open world game I thought the bike was surprisingly really well done. I'm not normally a fan of bikes in games, but I found traversal in Days Gone to be very engaging, it struck the right balance between realism and fun physics and nothing was more than a few minutes ride away. Plus the world was never less than stunning, I had some captivating moments just travelling the land. I will however concede that a couple of times you would drive out of your way for a mission only for that mission to be literally a 30 second cutscene, which some would find annoying no doubt.

I didn't fast travel once in the entire game, that's how much I enjoyed the bike and the world I was driving through. There were enough little 'random' events happening to make each trip memorable in some fashion.