• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
I've just never seen a game have such a negative aura around it before anyone has really given it a chance. What summed up the state of Era on the game for me was when I made a thread asking for reasons why Deacon was generic and then asking for thoughts on what improvements could be made to the character to make him less generic in people's eyes, or more interesting to the game as a whole - thread was locked almost immediately with the reasoning "No productive discussion to be had about a game none of us have played". I mean.....I've yet to see a thread before or since get shut down because we haven't played a game and I doubt I will. The hate boner for Days Gone is been fascinating.

Oh please! Are we pretending that an Era hate boner slithered its way into the hands of all the major review outlets who then ended up almost resoundingly dunking on this game?

The game sits firmly in the OK section on the acclaim scale. The only fascinating thing here is the fans of Days Gone's unwillingness to accept the fact.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Just curious as to why it's meaningless in Days Gone? Is it more meaningless than riding a horse back and forth in RDR2 or Odyssey or Origins? As a mode of transportation in an open world game I thought the bike was surprisingly really well done. I'm not normally a fan of bikes in games, but I found traversal in Days Gone to be very engaging, it struck the right balance between realism and fun physics and nothing was more than a few minutes ride away. Plus the world was never less than stunning, I had some captivating moments just travelling the land. I will however concede that a couple of times you would drive out of your way for a mission only for that mission to be literally a 30 second cutscene, which some would find annoying no doubt.

I didn't fast travel once in the entire game, that's how much I enjoyed the bike and the world I was driving through. There were enough little 'random' events happening to make each trip memorable in some fashion.

"The Bike part" was super controversial among me and my friends.
I loved every minute of it. Carefully planning my routes in advance (fuel), minding the roads and obstacles (repair gauge) and keeping an eye out for ambushes and cars that contain items (ambulance, police car, repair trucks).
Finally an open world game that rewards you for driving well.

Many of my friends prefer the traditional GTA approach, where you get into a vehicle, wreck it and hop into a new one within 10 secs.
DG punishes that kind of driving style. Hard. Some of buddies complained that they were constantly looking for gas and scrap.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I enjoyed Days Gone a lot more than I expected. In a year so far where the only other new IP has been Rage 2 and Anthem, the success is good news. That said, I don't necessarily want to play Days Gone sequels every 2 years.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a good to see Anthem numbers. It tells me people care about single player story mode and when you ignore us you will pay.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because produced with the Unreal Engine, magine all titles Tim Sweeny will secure for the EGS with 5% made on every Days Gone copy. 👹

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Also waiting for a deeper sale for this game. From all the streams and reviews i have watched it kinda looks like it deserves its 7/10 metacritic. But it might satisfy that open world itch when i get it again. Has been kinda bummed out on the whole Ubi style open world formula, but might get it down the line on a deeper sale like i said when im not tired of it anymore.

Oct 27, 2017
Anthem wasn't a flop, only the metacritic was.

While we don't know how much it sold exactly as far as I know, EA lowered their sales expectations shortly before launch and it still failed to reach that. It certainly underperformed in their view, especially so considering it's their first big new IP in forever and they were hoping it would be an evergreen game for years, like Destiny.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Actual question and not a shitpost/thread whining but why do these threads exist?
Not like "why are they tracking sales in a thread" but like why specifically the UK?
I know other countries exist but I see UK sales tracking threads so much on this forum unlike other areas, is there a specific reason for it?

Oct 27, 2017
Actual question and not a shitpost/thread whining but why do these threads exist?
Not like "why are they tracking sales in a thread" but like why specifically the UK?
I know other countries exist but I see UK sales tracking threads so much on this forum unlike other areas, is there a specific reason for it?

It's one of the only regions where we get regular, detailed sales breakdowns and trends in the UK are often mirrored in the US market. It's also the biggest or close to the biggest market in Europe.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I mean. That just proves we aren't producing new IP in this industry (which is fine, it's risky). Is this UK chart physical only, like usual, though? Didn't realize anthem bombed that badly.

Oct 27, 2017
Crackdown 3 threads were much, much worse.

Ha, prob. That's another game where people looked at everything presented through a lens of negativity; to me Crackdown 3 looked like more Crackdown which I thought was a good thing.
Oh please! Are we pretending that an Era hate boner slithered its way into the hands of all the major review outlets who then ended up almost resoundingly dunking on this game?

The game sits firmly in the OK section on the acclaim scale. The only fascinating thing here is the fans of Days Gone's unwillingness to accept the fact.

Ha, no. I'm suggesting the Era hate boner wasn't limited to Era, a surprising number of outlets seemed to have their own negative agenda on the game from day one. The Eurogamer review starts out querying why the game even needs to exist - I mean why does any game need to exist? How is that the baseline to start from? What a negative way to start the review and the reviewer unsurprisingly went on to pan it. There were a few reviews along those lines.

It's just been notable how many issues raised as problems for Days Gone are not issues for other games which do something identical. Like the repetition complaints, one review I read complained that they were just doing bandit camps again and again; why is that an issue in Days Gone and not in every other open world game ever where you do basically the same stuff over and over again, just in different locations? So much of the quality stuff Days Gone does is just dismissed, it's bizarre.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not blind to the faults of Days Gone, they are occasionally many and varied and there are plenty of areas that could be improved - but there is such a disconnect between the build up, the reviews and the game I played and the good word of mouth since release that it's really surprised me. It's been a prime example of the Era bubble and a further reminder that the only sensible approach is playing what interests you rather than what reviewers critique as worth your time.

OP
OP
MilesQ

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Ha, prob. That's another game where people looked at everything presented through a lens of negativity; to me Crackdown 3 looked like more Crackdown which I thought was a good thing.

The cloud destruction tech demo set unrealistic expectations and MS weren't willing to come out and tell everyone that they couldn't match that level of destruction/visual fidelity/scope of arena, which only fueled the negativity even more as they went about hiding the wrecking mode until the last possible minute.

As a single player game, CD3 was enjoyable and it brought some much needed improvements to the CD formula, but it also too many steps back too.

I'd love to get a behind the scenes look at its development and what the hell happened.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So in every top 10 list I've seen Days Gone is ahead of Sekiro, by some margin. Do we have sales figures for Sekiro and Days Gone from Japan? Because it was just announced that Sekiro sold over 3.8m ww, and presumably Days Gone is ahead of that unless Sekiro sold gang busters in Japan?

Last edited:

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

So Sekiro sold 157k debut in Japan, and Days Gone sold 114k debut, so the difference in Japan is likely not really nearly enough to close the gap in other territories (US, EMEAA etc). I think it's fair to assume from the data we have, that Days Gone is likely to have shipped more than Sekiro world wide (potentially notably more), in other words, more than 3.8m, which if true, would be super impressive for an exclusive developed by ~130 devs (60 at one point), a new IP, and one that had a fairly mixed reception.

Last edited:

Nerix

Oct 27, 2017
Glad that the game sold well, despite the mediocre reviews. Close to the end of the story, really enjoying it so far! Great mixture of action, survival and a very solid story. Haven't played the challenges yet, probably after I finished the main game.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Ha, no. I'm suggesting the Era hate boner wasn't limited to Era, a surprising number of outlets seemed to have their own negative agenda on the game from day one. The Eurogamer review starts out querying why the game even needs to exist - I mean why does any game need to exist? How is that the baseline to start from? What a negative way to start the review and the reviewer unsurprisingly went on to pan it. There were a few reviews along those lines.

It's just been notable how many issues raised as problems for Days Gone are not issues for other games which do something identical. Like the repetition complaints, one review I read complained that they were just doing bandit camps again and again; why is that an issue in Days Gone and not in every other open world game ever where you do basically the same stuff over and over again, just in different locations? So much of the quality stuff Days Gone does is just dismissed, it's bizarre.

I think it's similar to what happens in sports media, where winning teams are often scrutinized further and beyond, every possible perceived flaw is amplified and anticipated to be its downfall. Sony has been on a string of success with its first party games, so every perceived weakness in the area will be scrutinized and amplified. You see a similar thing with the articles about next gen. It's weird as fuck.

w00zey

Nov 23, 2018
I have been having a lot of fun with it. That said, it is way too long. It could have been half the length and just as enjoyable. I just want it to end now. Hopefully I'm close
i just beat the third horde that was a story quest

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's similar to what happens in sports media, where winning teams are often scrutinized further and beyond, every possible perceived flaw is amplified and anticipated to be its downfall. Sony has been on a string of success with its first party games, so every perceived weakness in the area will be scrutinized and amplified.

This. So much this.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
I think it's similar to what happens in sports media, where winning teams are often scrutinized further and beyond, every possible perceived flaw is amplified and anticipated to be its downfall. Sony has been on a string of success with its first party games, so every perceived weakness in the area will be scrutinized and amplified. You see a similar thing with the articles about next gen. It's weird as fuck.

And it's interesting to note how Forza Horizon 3/4 is the flag bearer for the Xbox One in these sales threads, because it is the only exclusive that not only stays relevant, but consistently charts.

On the other hand, any of Sony's exclusives are scrutinised before, during and after they have been released, regardless of their quality. The transparency from some folks in this thread beggars belief...

For me, Days Gone is a competent if slightly unremarkable game with an abundance of unrealised potential for a sequel. If the follow up is half as good as the leap between Uncharted to Uncharted 2, then we'll certainly have something to look forward to playing!

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Judging by the big multiplats I'm guessing Days Gone is top 10 everywhere?

days-gone-uk-sales.png

Brace yourselves lol

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I always find myself rooting for single player only games, so this is good news and also very deserved. It's a great game that I hope gets a sequel.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
I have been having a lot of fun with it. That said, it is way too long. It could have been half the length and just as enjoyable. I just want it to end now. Hopefully I'm close
i just beat the third horde that was a story quest
You are almost there. I would say three or so hours, give or take.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
Crackdown 3 threads were much, much worse.
That's more on Microsoft. A tent pole exclusive and all they did was a prettier crackdown 1 from a decade ago going by reviews. If they had leaned in and actually delivered on that cloud destruction stuff, it wouldn't have had as much hate. It seemed like development issue forced them to strip everything out and release a barebones game that felt familiar to appease fans.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
User Banned (3 days): Antagonizing a member, similar previous infraction.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Haha, I love a good ownage with receipts like this one.

Regarding the thread, and like I mentioned in the Sekiro one, this is another 2019 title I still need to buy. Gotta finish a few titles first though. Also, I'll make sure to come back to this thread by lunch because I could definitely use some salt for my salad.

Oct 27, 2017
"Negative agenda"? Why does it need to be more complicated than "didn't like, wrote that I didn't like it. The end."

True and nothing wrong with that at all. I can understand why people wouldn't like it, it has faults.

But a lot of critics seemed to judge it from the early reveal and never really seemed to engage beyond cries of 'Generic'. When you have critics questioning why a perfectly valid premise for a game even exists, that's when I question the negative stance.

But hey, it's silly really, I know. We've all presumably got a 'pearls before swine' moment, a game or games that we loved so much it's hard to see people dismiss it. Days Gone is mine.

OP
OP
MilesQ

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
That's more on Microsoft. A tent pole exclusive and all they did was a prettier crackdown 1 from a decade ago going by reviews. If they had leaned in and actually delivered on that cloud destruction stuff, it wouldn't have had as much hate. It seemed like development issue forced them to strip everything out and release a barebones game that felt familiar to appease fans.

It actually took some steps back in gameplay from CD1, but yeah, the main draw was the cloud tech and they failed to deliver.

I don't know if that's on MS or on Sumo, but they probably should have canned it when they did Sxalebound.

jpbonadio

Nov 8, 2017
I don't know what is the best part of this thread, the news about an amazing game selling well, or the salt from the haters.

Congratz to Bend. I hope this success means we get Days Gone 2 on the PS5.