• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty much the norm with any open-world game now, and it doesn't really feel like that big of a deal when I have about a half-dozen games installed across machines clawing at 100GB already.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I can only imagine your pain. I have a reasonable cable connection, but my son and daughter have recently discovered YouTube and all of a sudden I'm hitting data caps that I never knew existed.šŸ˜­

My roommate loves YouTube, so it makes it more difficult to download games or patches. Their 'addiction' just started recently. The last game I downloaded took a couple or few hours longer because of it.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it really the same thing when this has been a thing for PS4, XBO for awhile...and many assumed games would fit entirely on the cartridge for the Switch.

Imagine getting a console that uses cartridges but you still have to download data to play the game.

And Switch games can use bigger carts but aren't. For whatever reason.

Doesn't make it right, or sensible though does it.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like some of you complain just to complain tbh. There is no way this many people in 2019 in a forum that is typically technological people have bandwidth issues. I haven't had any issues with internet speed or bandwidth for literally 5+ years now and I don't live in a huge city.
No, I just know what it's like when something like this takes you offline for a day+, it's shit. At least it's seems the Disc doesn't require a massive download too (that shit can just fuck off and shouldn't be acceptable day 1).

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
space has never been an issue ever since the ability to plug in an external was introduced. This thing being 67GB isn't so bad when you got a X-TB external :)

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
I'm really looking forward to this, I hope it's got some zombie survival type mechanics.

I also prefer the games sizes to be as big as possible because this usually means higher quality assets and I only ever have a couple of games installed at any one time so not worried about hdd space.

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like some of you complain just to complain tbh. There is no way this many people in 2019 in a forum that is typically technological people have bandwidth issues. I haven't had any issues with internet speed or bandwidth for literally 5+ years now and I don't live in a huge city.

Depends on the infrastructure of where people live. People can't just lay down fiber optic cables at their own expense you know. For someone who is taking the technological high ground, you would think you would be able to figure that out for yourself.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Sony decided to not support 4K Blu-ray's so we're gimped and therefore gimping the rest of the generation for both platforms.
Nah, its not a Sony thing. No one supported BlurayXL (100GB discs) at the begining of the generation, thats why 50GB discs are still used. 4K Bluray (or UHD Bluray) specifications were finalized in 2015 i think. Thats why Xbox One S (released in later 2016) added 4K Bluray support. But later support like that wont be the standard, because they need to make sure that all systems can read the games.

Slappy White

Oct 27, 2017
the size of the games is really becoming a huge burden to data limits and is delaying the all digital future.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
When I get home I'm gonna hug my gigabit internet with no data cap and 2TB drive in my PS4 Pro :)

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I guess it's just an UE4 thing. Some engines are just more storage hungry...

Take a look at those ID Tech games

Bung Hole

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
"Day Gone Be Good" is the chose one (for me). And I will profusely interject if it isn't.
WfJ6rJz_P858NgVF16oInDNZOi1CP3cgurcJYB0aTcdOKzBrfX-uucR1zRFhGWnTZ5SYPByE29Y6xMZIh3xNcUXOr-SUXoERpiCmZHc_jhFgtOKBPXvfcA=w405-h350-nc

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
I have a feeling many people here don't get how big AAA video games are these days. These developers compress their games like crazy and they still come out at 50 GB on average. These games are huge. If you have a shitty internet and whatnot, I don't know what else to tell you. Sony can't squeeze a massive game into a 5MB install. It's just unreasonable. That's just what the size is going to be for games these days. This isn't Sony being anti-consumer or whatnot, this is them compressing a game to the best of their ability and distributing it to a mass public. Era likes to be angry and be in this "activist" mode 24/7 but the fact of the matter is games as an artform are an expensive endeavor, both at the hands of the people who made them and at the hands at the people who play them. That is the unfortuante growth of technology and the great technological inequality that needs to be addressed. In the meantime, it is what it is and there's nothing stopping this from advancing even further than what we initially imagined.

Rejam

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They should offer a low res accessibility mode for users still on 56k.