• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vroadstar

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Seriously tho, why are so many people hellbent that this game will be bad? Why do you wish for a game to be bad ever? Wouldn't it being good be the better outcome? Every time?

You only have to recognize the posters with genuine concerns and those with concerns because it's a first party title. Remember war is always raging.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully multi disc if they couldn't compress it to fit on a single bluray. The official box art has already been released, right? No "download required" disclaimer that accompanies other games that require internet.

Gospel

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
67 gigs? Oh darn, that's just too much now I won't be able to play this game.
argh, why don't these "software developers" learn how to use compression? i mean, if i could shrink a ton of files on my laptop and put them into a zip folder (this makes them take up way less space), then why can't they do it?

pretty funny that we never had this problem back in the ps2 and xbox days.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully multi disc if they couldn't compress it to fit on a single bluray. The official box art has already been released, right? No "download required" disclaimer that accompanies other games that require internet.
But was that the final boxart?

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
67 gigs? Oh darn, that's just too much now I won't be able to play this game.
argh, why don't these "software developers" learn how to use compression? i mean, if i could shrink a ton of files on my laptop and put them into a zip folder (this makes them take up way less space), then why can't they do it?

pretty funny that we never had this problem back in the ps2 and xbox days.
Bend Studio forgot to buy a Winrar license. So they weren't able to compress the game file. Happens to the best of us.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Zombie games are always popular, well most of them at least. This game will sell 1 million units in a month easy.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
But was that the final boxart?

We're 11 days from release and the image on Amazon doesn't show the disclaimer.
They've been selling preorders for a while now, I think it's unlikely that they'd pop that on consumers at the last second when they've had a huge amount of time to say otherwise. Plus they've just recently started multi disc releases in the last year, it'd be odd for them to omit it for a first party release if they couldn't do a single disc, especially for a major title.

My guesses are
70% chance that it's just compressed enough that you can play start to finish from just the disc.
29% two discs
1% whoops we manufactured and shipped incomplete code and forgot to tell anyone about it

Last edited:

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
We're 11 days from release and the image on Amazon doesn't show the disclaimer.
They've been selling preorders for a while now, I think it's unlikely that they'd pop that on consumers at the last second when they've had a huge amount of time to say otherwise. Plus they've just recently started multi disc releases in the last year, it'd be odd for them to omit it for a first party release if they couldn't do a single disc, especially for a major title.

My guesses are
70% chance that it's just compressed enough that you can play start to finish from just the disc.
29% two discs
1% whoops we manufactured and shipped incomplete code and forgot to tell anyone about it
Hopefully you are right. I do want to play this but I have the rule to not buy incomplete games.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I've been wanting to plan to segment my download of Destiny 2 across multiple months (data cap), but I always cancel the download when I realize how big 90gigs is. It's obviously downloading DLC stuff I wouldn't have access too, way too big to just try.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
I've been wanting to plan to segment my download of Destiny 2 across multiple months (data cap), but I always cancel the download when I realize how big 90gigs is. It's obviously downloading DLC stuff I wouldn't have access too, way too big to just try.
Haha, I know this pain. Even sub 20GB games make me hesitate.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like some of you complain just to complain tbh. There is no way this many people in 2019 in a forum that is typically technological people have bandwidth issues. I haven't had any issues with internet speed or bandwidth for literally 5+ years now and I don't live in a huge city.
Other than location issues, some of us are just goddamn poor and cant afford that

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Why are people assuming you need a mandatory download for a physical version to play the game? This isn't the first time a game has crossed 50GB install size and yet was completely playable offline.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn. I will never understand Era's hate boner for this game. People will interpret literally any news about it as negative. Looks like a mother polished, high budget first party title with some interesting systemic gameplay. Who tf cares if zombies aren't a super original premise.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, as long as most of it is on the disc and I don't have to download the whole thing (looking at you Division 2) then it's fine.

Can't wait for this game.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
giphy.gif

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
The larger the size, the less likely people who went digital as me will buy it or keep it for long.

And while I'm currently experiencing how it is to live with slow Internet, I'm looking forward to a future, small PS4 I can bring to school/Starbucks and use their wi-fi to download games.

Oct 27, 2017
I swear, Era is getting increasingly irritating about Days Gone. Some of you lose all critical thinking when discussing the game. I can't recall hearing any of these complaints when other big games install sizes are revealed, but it's an issue for Days Gone? Basically, if 67Gb for Days Gone is what turns you off, you weren't really that interested in the first place.

"67Gb! Oh my, that's too big for me to download"
Buy a physical disc then? Shops exist? Internet delivery of physical media is a thing?

"I can't buy physical, I live near no shops and delivery drivers can't deliver to me because of the landmines, so I can't simply get the discs delivered, I have to use my crappy internet, I get 2mb download, it'll take me a week to download Days Gone"
So you have this problem with every modern game then. It's not a Days Gone issue, it's a game size issue which you're affected by continuously if you want to play current AAA stuff. If it takes a week, just be prepared for it to take a week? Set it downloading and wait? We've all done it in the past when on slow internet.

"67Gb! Oh my, I don't have the space on my drive!"
Delete some stuff you don't play then. Drive sizes aren't large, you have to be ruthless with what's installed sometimes.

"No, I won't delete anything! I play all my installed games"
Well you don't have a problem with Days Gone, you have a problem with installing games. Essentially, unless you buy another drive, you're going to run out of space, whether that's instantly with a 67Gb game or imminently with 3 smaller games - basically you're saying at some stage in the very near future you won't be playing anymore games because you won't delete anything. Which is nonsense, clearly.

A surprising number of you just look for reasons to be negative about Days Gone. It's a massive AAA open world with a ton of assets, it was always going to be in the region of 50Gb install. It's a big one, but in the context of gaming these days? Hardly worth a mention. Fucking Conan Exiles was a 76Gb download on ps+.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I swear, Era is getting increasingly irritating about Days Gone. Some of you lose all critical thinking when discussing the game. I can't recall hearing any of these complaints when other big games install sizes are revealed, but it's an issue for Days Gone? Basically, if 67Gb for Days Gone is what turns you off, you weren't really that interested in the first place.

"67Gb! Oh my, that's too big for me to download"
Buy a physical disc then? Shops exist? Internet delivery of physical media is a thing?

"I can't buy physical, I live near no shops and delivery drivers can't deliver to me because of the landmines, so I can't simply get the discs delivered, I have to use my crappy internet, I get 2mb download, it'll take me a week to download Days Gone"
So you have this problem with every modern game then. It's not a Days Gone issue, it's a game size issue which you're affected by continuously if you want to play current AAA stuff. If it takes a week, just be prepared for it to take a week? Set it downloading and wait? We've all done it in the past when on slow internet.

"67Gb! Oh my, I don't have the space on my drive!"
Delete some stuff you don't play then. Drive sizes aren't large, you have to be ruthless with what's installed sometimes.

"No, I won't delete anything! I play all my installed games"
Well you don't have a problem with Days Gone, you have a problem with installing games. Essentially, unless you buy another drive, you're going to run out of space, whether that's instantly with a 67Gb game or imminently with 3 smaller games - basically you're saying at some stage in the very near future you won't be playing anymore games because you won't delete anything. Which is nonsense, clearly.

A surprising number of you just look for reasons to be negative about Days Gone. It's a massive AAA open world with a ton of assets, it was always going to be in the region of 50Gb install. It's a big one, but in the context of gaming these days? Hardly worth a mention. Fucking Conan Exiles was a 76Gb download on ps+.
Actually some portion of people on era will always complain about AAA game file sizes if it's over 30gb or something. It feels silly Tbh. You would think you know what you're getting into when it comes to open world, narrative driven aaa games. File sizes should be irrelevant

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Actually some portion of people on era will always complain about AAA game file sizes if it's over 30gb or something. It feels silly Tbh. You would think you know what you're getting into when it comes to open world, narrative driven aaa games. File sizes should be irrelevant

Tell it to the NBN.

Bung Hole

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
Sorry guys I know this is way off topic but I wanted a quick answer:

I want to know if this UBS3 powered hub is good enough to run my external hard drive on my PS4 Pro:

• Data transfer rate: approx. 480Mbps (USB 2.0)-approx. 5Gbps ( USB 3.0)
Is 5Gbps enough to run my games from my external hard drive through this USB3 powered hub?

Oct 31, 2017
I'm super excited for Days Gone. All thanks to getting hooked again on TWD. :P

This is pretty much where I'm at too.

It also surprises me how many comments I have seen around this game along the lines of 'Oh another zombie game? really in 2019? wow' etc. Can't remember the last big budget single player zombie game. Zombii? Last of Us? I guess Resi2 but that was a remake and a very different prospect from this. I'm pumped.

ChuckStank

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
No. I'm not deleting old games—I play all of my games, seriously. This bullshit of 40, 50, 60+ GB install needs to stop.

I don't understand this sentiment these days. Consoles and games are just going to get more advanced and complicated yet people still think it's 2003 and games will stay at 2 gb.

Oct 31, 2017
Sorry guys I know this is way off topic but I wanted a quick answer:

I want to know if this UBS3 powered hub is good enough to run my external hard drive on my PS4 Pro:

• Data transfer rate: approx. 480Mbps (USB 2.0)-approx. 5Gbps ( USB 3.0)
Is 5Gbps enough to run my games from my external hard drive through this USB3 powered hub?
I would guess at yes but I'm not sure about your specific setup - I have a usb 3 external hdd plugged in to my ps4 pro and I run games off it all the time. I actually switched it to being my primary installation drive.

I don't understand this sentiment these days. Consoles and games are just going to get more advanced and complicated yet people still think it's 2003 and games will stay at 2 gb.
Agree so much. Tech moves on, it needs to be accepted that install sizes are only going to increase. Remember when the first iphone came out with 4gb storage? You wouldn't even fit the OS on that now.

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Blu Ray's just been blown past for storage at this point. And since people have hang-ups about multi disc for some reason, we'll just have to wait for a higher capacity format to come around and reset the clock on storage space.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Blu Ray's just been blown past for storage at this point. And since people have hang-ups about multi disc for some reason, we'll just have to wait for a higher capacity format to come around and reset the clock on storage space.

There are 100GB and higher Blu-ray Discs, these current consoles just don't use them.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Isn't this pretty much the norm for games these days? No issues for me.

What are you talking about? This is absolutely unheard of! It's absolutely unheard of for a game to be 67 gigs in 2019! Just WHO will purchase the game now that this earth shattering news is upon us? I see dark days upon us my friend, DARK DAYS!

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
Agree so much. Tech moves on, it needs to be accepted that install sizes are only going to increase. Remember when the first iphone came out with 4gb storage? You wouldn't even fit the OS on that now.
These sentiments were addressed later in the thread. And you cannot equate 4GB of space to 1TB of space. By the admission of developers themselves, developers don't take the time to develop smaller assets because people have larger and larger HDDs. That isn't the case when you're working with the limits of storage.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling many people here don't get how big AAA video games are these days. These developers compress their games like crazy and they still come out at 50 GB on average. These games are huge. If you have a shitty internet and whatnot, I don't know what else to tell you. Sony can't squeeze a massive game into a 5MB install. It's just unreasonable. That's just what the size is going to be for games these days. This isn't Sony being anti-consumer or whatnot, this is them compressing a game to the best of their ability and distributing it to a mass public. Era likes to be angry and be in this "activist" mode 24/7 but the fact of the matter is games as an artform are an expensive endeavor, both at the hands of the people who made them and at the hands at the people who play them. That is the unfortuante growth of technology and the great technological inequality that needs to be addressed. In the meantime, it is what it is and there's nothing stopping this from advancing even further than what we initially imagined.
The Spyro Trilogy was over 100GBs before compression. Yeah, seems plenty still don't seem to be aware.