• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
The creative director and writer of Days Gone has said that players should buy games at full price if they like them, instead of waiting for them to go on sale or be given away as part of services like PlayStation Plus.

John Garvin was speaking to game designer David Jaffe on Jaffe's YouTube show, where he was asked if he'd heard anything about any "meaningful uptick of engagement" with Days Gone since the game was added to the PlayStation Plus Collection on PS5.

"I do have an opinion on something that your audience may find of interest, and it might piss some of them off," Garvin replied. "If you love a game, buy it at fucking full price. I can't tell you how many times I've seen gamers say 'yeah, I got that on sale, I got it through PS Plus, whatever'."

"But how do you know you love a game until you've played it?" Jaffe responded.

"I'm just saying, you don't, but don't complain if a game doesn't get a sequel if it wasn't supported at launch," Garvin replied. "It's like, God of War got whatever number millions of sales at launch and, you know, Days Gone didn't. [I'm] just speaking for me personally as a developer, I don't work for Sony, I don't know what the numbers are.

The news that a pitch for Days Gone 2 had been rejected by Sony prompted David Jaffe, the game designer known for creating God of War and Twisted Metal, to host video interviews with Days Gone directors on his YouTube channel. Last week he had Jeff Ross, while yesterday it was John Garvin's turn (who, by the way, was also the game's writer).

Garvin revealed to have left Sony Bend merely days after the game's release in April 2019. When Jaffe asked him how he took the first wave of Days Gone reviews, Garvin replied:

"I took it hard, to be honest, because, again...This is just the reality of Sony, Metacritic score is everything. If you're the creative director on a franchise and your game is coming out to a 70, you're not going to be the creative director on that franchise for very long."

https://www.videogameschronicle.com...res-no-sequel-if-you-didnt-buy-it-full-price/
https://wccftech.com/days-gone-director-john-garvin-says-metacritic-score-is-everything-to-sony/

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
A bit of a shitty thing to say when not everybody has the same disposable income but okay. I guess only wealthy fans are true fans.
-edit-
Kind of weird how a few people have quoted me to explain he's just saying Sony greenlights sequels of games that are succesful at launch, which seems extremely obvious and something every publisher does. We already knew that much, this isn't news. The shitty thing is the part about "do not complain". The part he knew was a shitty thing to say even before saying it, but he still went ahead and said it anyway.

Last edited:

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How would you know that you like a game before buying it though?

That reeks of entitlement tbh.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Fuck metacritic. And fuck the people who buy/don`t buy games because of metascores.
Watch some gameplay material and read some reviews and then decide.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How would you know that you like a game before buying it though?

That reeks of entitlement tbh.

"But how do you know you love a game until you've played it?" Jaffe responded.

"I'm just saying, you don't, but don't complain if a game doesn't get a sequel if it wasn't supported at launch," Garvin replied. "It's like, God of War got whatever number millions of sales at launch and, you know, Days Gone didn't. [I'm] just speaking for me personally as a developer, I don't work for Sony, I don't know what the numbers are.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Spicy. I can count the number of games I've bought full-price at launch over the past ten years on one hand though. It's just too expensive. More so now that €79.99 is becoming a thing. For me, €40 is already in the territory where I'll think long and hard about whether I need to play it right now, and that's already 50% off by new standards. There's just no way I'll shell that much out for a single game, even for my favorite series. I think it's an easier sell for the mainstream audience that buys one to at most three games a year, rather than those who buy one or more a month. So I imagine how marketable it is to that group likely has much more of a bearing on which games get approved and which games generally do well than whether I pick a game up at launch. Expensive AAA games need lots of sales, and I don't think an enthusiast like myself is part of a large enough subset of the overall audience to make a significant difference.

I'm also happy to support games, but I don't really get on with the reasoning that I need to do it in such and such time frame "or else." I'm not an investor, I'm not on a board making the calls, and there are no guarantees about more content or a sequel either way.

It's always sad to see a beloved game or series fizzle out though. F-Zero has been in the discourse lately and that's a series I feel strongly about. It's unfortunate. But I think a new game that's appropriately scaled could still be viable. That's probably easier to scale down than a game with the sandbox design of Days Gone, however.

Last edited:

Deleted member 39587

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 6, 2018
So how exactly does it matter if people buy it at full price if Metacritic score is "everything to Sony"? Sales didn't seem to be the issue that Days Gone had, so why comment on it?

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought the game sold really well? At least I saw it touted as selling very well in the "Days Gone is actually really good" threads.

Guess it was mostly selling after discounts then?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Well yeah, put your money where your mouth is and all that.

I rarely buy games day 1, when I do it's for things I really want to support.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Your game was by most accounts unfinished at launch. Also blame your PR for sending it out pre patch. Pillock

rubidium

Oct 25, 2017
Well of course industry would be dictated by users who spends money the most, so there's no point to argue against that I guess?

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry but I don't agree with this. Especially the day one argument. Not everyone can afford buying every game day one nor does every game deserve it.

Especially now when games are getting very expansive.

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
Screw paying full price but especially screw paying the brand new even higher full price.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Look at these entitled companies thinking they should get unlimited access to your wallet despite releasing unfinished products

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
When it's an unproven studio, with an unproven IP, with mediocre review scores and middling recommendations, don't blame the people not buying your game.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
I mean, God of War is a well known IP that people know and love. Even though the gameplay changed, people were still familiar with the IP. That was not the case with Days Gone.

€75-80 I'll only pay for games I know I like. And even then, waiting means bug fixes and a price drop.

MrCJ86

Aug 10, 2019
Scolding people for using a free market that allows them to wait for a sale or discount isn't cool in my books. I got a free copy of Days Gone at launch and it ended up being one of my favorite first party titles on the PS4.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
The launch comment is ridiculous specifically on Playstation, because Sony has created an ecosystem where their own exclusives reliably drop in price by 50% or more within a year of release. Regular, steep discounts on their games and others' are part of the value they bring to their customers (esp. PS+). Blaming the consumers in this case is idiotic. Sony has trained people to wait.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
I did buy it day 1 and yet I still won't get DG2.

But I barely buy day 1 and full price anymore, just can't afford it and it will get worse with the 80€ price tag if that sticks for long.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's a really callous way of putting it that avoids nuance, but there's truth in that launch sales are typically a huge driver for a game's momentum. Still, it reads more like late adopters don't have the right to be crestfallen about the lack of a sequel, which isn't really fair on them. The wording here makes me think Garvin must be sitting on a lot of pent up frustrations about the game and its circumstances.

The Metacritic point, it was expected but unfortunate to have have a sense of vague confirmation - or at least the knowledge of that kind of sentiment among their developers - that Sony are particularly bullish about metrics such as that.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
It is basic voting with your wallet. On the other hand, there is a specific devalueing that takes place a lot. Why am I going to put full price in a game if it can be half price by the time I finish it? I don't have that issue with Nintendo.

When it's an unproven studio, with an unproven IP, with mediocre review scores and middling recommendations, don't blame the people not buying your game.
Sony Bend? They had 6 good to great games on their resume pre-Days Gone.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
I don't necessarily disagree on the premise, but probably not the best example to use considering Days Gone came out buggy af

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't the game need fixes to get to where it is today? The opinions of the game that I've seen between now and launch are night and day.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I just think it's weird that suddenly Days Gone is the game everyone is now clamoring for a sequel when this place couldn't get enough of talking shit about it when it came out.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
Weird argument. People who waited were rewarded with a straight up better game after changes and patches and whatnot. So maybe make the game good before releasing it for full price?

Also I feel like we are talking about Days Gone way too much, it's not exactly a milestone of gaming history before or after patches lol

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Metacritic and reviews might play a role in someone's buying decision when it comes to full price games.
In the case of Days Gone, the review embargo lifted less than a day before release. Since he used GOW as a comparaison, the review didn't really have that much of an impact on day one sales.

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I rather ask someone i know if they like the game rather than metacritic lol

nier og and godhand are great games with bad metacritic scores