• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
who gives a crap about story in video games?? it's not like good movies or good books

skip all cutscenes in video games.
Exactly! Who gives a shit about context for what and why you're doing in video games! People don't buy games like Witcher 3,last of us, red dead redemption 2 and God of War for story and characters They don't sell tens of millions of copies and they are not praised to high heavens anywhere. And Sony is not known for producing heavily narrative driven games!

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This thread in a nutshell

D4xPdmR_d.jpg

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Why would you skip cut scenes in a game with a story as its focus, if you just want to kill zombie's there's enough games out there. I don't understand some of you.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If the plot is good I'll watch the cutscenes but most games have a shit plot so I use that time to take a piss or check my phone. So I'll at least watch the intro and first or second cutscene before checking out.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Whew this game is going to disappoint a lot of people when it sells a shitload and reviews well

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
who gives a crap about story in video games?? it's not like good movies or good books

skip all cutscenes in video games.

That tells more about what kind of games you play, than how good stories games can offer. There have been several games with good stories this gen alone; God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4, Bloodborne, Hellblade, Witcher 3, SOMA, What Remains of Edith Finch, Firewatch... let alone older gems like The Last of Us, Silent Hill 2, Shadow of Memories, and Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver.

If it's solely about disliking cutscenes, you should try indies and Japanese games, which tell the story differently from big blockbuster games.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I find it funny when people call the main character generic when he looks like the actor who plays him, I'm sure he appreciates it.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
If people want to skip cutscenes that's fine, I personally never do when I play a narrative driven game.

I finished God of War for the 7th time last night and even with the option to skip I never do, the cutscenes are what makes that game incredible.

Anyway, I can't wait for this game.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
In a time were service based games (GaaS) are launching with bare bones content at full price, have numerous Season Passes / Paid DLC and make people wait months for more content, I'm very grateful Sony (and Nintendo) still have a big focus on single player games that are packed full of content at launch. 30 hour campaign and 6 hours of story cinematic's is totally fine with me.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
30 hours main story is a lot for a non-RPG game, i don't recall non-RPG Open World games to last 30 hours for the campaign alone.

AC Origins 28 hours
AC Odyssey 38 hours
GTA5 31.5 hours
RDR2 45.5 hours

And please let's not call these RPG games. They're just as "RPG" as Days Gone.

I even know linear games that took me almost 30 hours.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
there's no rule saying games can't have good stories. there are many games where the story is really good, just like there are many books and films with complete garbage stories. in fact stories are often the thing we remember the most from old classic games we've played, even if we may forget what exactly the gameplay was like. you think someone's memory of an old RPG classic is how the battle system was and what item gave you the best stat boost, or mostly about the story and its epic or mem moments?
old classic games are not only RPGs...

actually take me for example, some of the first games I can remember playing in the 1980s are -- Pong, Tetris, Super Mario Bros, Duck Hunt, Excitebike, Joust

story means practically nothing in all of those. aren't yall playing games like that??

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
In a time were service based games (GaaS) are launching with bare bones content at full price, have numerous Season Passes / Paid DLC and make people wait months for more content, I'm very grateful Sony (and Nintendo) still have a big focus on single player games that are packed full of content at launch. 30 hour campaign and 6 hours of story cinematic's is totally fine with me.

Six hours of cutscenes in a story-drive game? Hell no! Grinding the same content for hours in service-based games? Hell yes! :D

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
What does "page activity" mean?

I think Loudninja used a flimsy Google translate of the Danish article. Here's how I would translate it.

Days Gone has been delayed a few times, but finally it seems like it's ready for release on 26th April. However, before that the game has recently been shown to journalists and from this it has now been confirmed to be quite a long experience.

The team behind Days Gone has revealed to journalists at a bunch of European showings of the game, who later have revealed to Gamereactor, that the main story will take about 30 hours to complete. On top of that the game includes 6 hours of cinematics, or arranged cutscenes.

The length of the aforementioned 30 hours of main story has been mentioned before in an interview with Game Informer, but the 6 hours of cutscenes seems to be new information.

Even though Sony Bend would not talk about the world size, they did reveal that it's "huge" with lots of side missions, so it seems like Bend have used their time to add extra content and polish the whole experience.

Do you look forward to Days Gone?

So the "page activity" translation in the quote used in the OP is about "side missions".

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
I hope the protagonist isn't just some vapid Ashton Kutcher type character. With 6 hours of cutscenes, there better be some mighty fine storytelling and interesting character work, otherwise I see this game limping out to collect a participation award and being forgotten at the end of the year.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It's really, really not.

Assuming you're talking about narrative books, then the comparison makes zero sense since those books not only have nothing but pages, they build off those pages in a way that you can't skip them whilst still actually engaging with the book. But games aren't made that way, a lot of games, even story focused ones, have a clear distinction between gameplay and story. Most games allow you to skip the story in a way that will not impact the gameplay section at all.

And the thing is that there is a comparison to be made with books here: books with disparate sections of information. Recipe books for example may come with little vignettes for each recipe you can read, giving you a little bit of background, but skipping over them in no way impacts a person's ability to use the recipe. Short story collections can be easily skimmed through, with the reader choosing which stories to read freely. Those are far better comparisons to make to games, since it is possible to extract out just the part you're interested in and excise the parts you aren't in many, which you can't really do with a narrative book. And yeah, games also exist where you can not seperate them out into independent parts, but often those do not give the player freedom to outright skip the story content. Visual Novels for example usually lock off the skip button until the player has already naturally seen a line, because separating the story out of a VN will actually take away most of the gameplay, due to the importance of the story to every part of those games. Similarly, most RPG's where you're constantly reacting to dialogue in a way that has an impact on the entire rest of the game don't offer skip buttons. You could technically just spam through all the dialogue, but that's a very different thing than actually skipping it.

But nothing about this game that I've seen implies that it has a need to force the player to engage with the story. Most of what has been shown off at E3's and stuff has focused on gameplay seperate from narrative, so you can not blame people for wanting an option to avoid something they aren't interested in.

Long story short: don't use disingenuous comparisons in an attempt to shame people for playing games the way they want.
Shaming people? Who?

My original post was simply a reaction to posts that implied people skip every cutscene just because. That's simply unthinkable for me.

Here's the thing, if people have no intention of watching any cutscene in the story mode/campaign, it's better for them to just play the multiplayer part of the game. No cutscene and all gameplay.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Why would you even play a game like this if you hate story exposition? Doesn't make sense.

To enjoy a AAA open world zombie game?

Not everyone needs to appreciate these ''Boo hoo so sad'' stories like you to enjoy the game. Not everyone cares about video game stories.

I guess for people who consider gaming a casual relaxing movie experience they might find cutscene a big deal, but for many it's simply not why they play games.

Stories in general are way overrated in my opinion, that includes movies and books.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
agreed. specially with how much gaming media was trying to push the narrative that big budget single-player/story-driven games are on their way out, i think any game that disproves that narrative is a positive.

old classic games are not only RPGs...

actually take me for example, some of the first games I can remember playing in the 1980s are -- Pong, Tetris, Super Mario Bros, Duck Hunt, Excitebike, Joust

story means practically nothing in all of those. aren't yall playing games like that??
of course there are amazing classic games with no story, and there are still great games that people play where the story is pretty much a non-factor (overwatch, minecraft, all these battle royale games, etc). but that doesn't mean there's not a huge population of the video games audience that does appreciate a good story in the games they play. at least to me, both are important and just as much as i can enjoy a puzzle game or something like mario kart, i still look for great stories in certain genres. even if it's something silly and not that serious, i still like the use of story in the video game medium where it adds context to the interactivity that it gives you (which no other medium can).

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Most video game stories are simple and cliche, it's not like you would have no idea what's going on by skipping cut scenes

Thank god Sony is not in the bussines of making video games with simple and cliche stories then...

Pulitzer Prize script I heard

Did you, really? Where?

To enjoy a AAA open world zombie game?

Not everyone needs to appreciate these ''Boo hoo so sad'' stories like you to enjoy the game. Not everyone cares about video game stories.

I guess for people who consider gaming a casual relaxing movie experience they might find cutscene a big deal, but for many it's simply not why they play games.

Lol this post is really something

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Shaming people? Who?

My original post was simply a reaction to posts that implied people skip every cutscene just because. That's simply unthinkable for me.

Here's the thing, if people have no intention of watching any cutscene in the story mode/campaign, it's better for them to just play the multiplayer part of the game. No cutscene and all gameplay.
Maybe let people play what they want?

What's so hard about that, exactly? You don't have to sit here claiming it's "unthinkable" (what? Seriously?) or saying they should play something else, just, let them play the video game.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
When Deacon starts riding a pterodactyl midway through the game; all you cutscene cowards will be contextless as to how this all happened and what led to it.

Also you'll miss the "you won't believe what's under Deacon's hat" reveal.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
Right...because Sony first party games is known to have trash stories.

Their 1st party games have had middling to trash stories to me this gen. Infamous and Killzone in particular were garbage. People seem to forget that this gen is older than 2 years.

Their last great story was TLOU and even that was better told in the Road and Children of Men.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
When Deacon starts riding a pterodactyl midway through the game; all you cutscene cowards will be contextless as to how this all happened and what led to it.

Also you'll miss the "you won't believe what's under Deacon's hat" reveal.
Actually I have been spoiled by what's under deacons hat. It's last of us 2

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
What is this thread of gameplay vs story? Is it 2000?

Plenty of examples of gaming exceeding at both, which is what Sony first party obviously aim for.

Wtf am I reading? Also looking forward to impressions.

Eumi im sorry guy that's a load of crap in that post. Skipping story to games like Days Gone or Tlou is comparable to skipping pages in a book. The story design is about equally as important to gameplay design in these games. It's not a Mario title where the story is irrelevant. You guys can defend how you want to play, but I also can have an opinion that it's pretty stupid to skip cutscenes to a story driven game, particularly on your first play through.

Last edited:

krg

Oct 27, 2017
After reading the first 3 pages, I'm skipping all Days Gone threads from now on.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
I love them cutscenes and story segments, as long as it's good, then give it to me.

Then this probably isn't for you or a lot of Sony first party for that matter, I rather take a well crafted story with janky ass gameplay like Deadly Premonition than sometime like BotW which was just boring story-wise. Again the medium grew up to be not just about gameplay anympre, like other medium did, so it's preference at this point

I don't understand this "the medium grew up" perspective. They are video games. If they game part is not great then why even play.

If you like a good start film and books tell stories in infinite better ways. Just my 2 cents though, to each their own.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with it as long as they're all skippable. God Of War was ruined by this, where cut scenes in disguise (walk around and talk forever, or do some completely mindless "puzzle" and talk forever) were innately unskippable.

Orlok

Oct 29, 2017
lol six hours of cutscenes?! Sure, I'll watch them if they're good but just imagine how much work it is to produce 2 hours of high quality on cinema action...