• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just for comparison, how many hours of cut scene were there in RDR2. Anyone know?
Why are we back to the "skipping cutscenes" topic? We had a whole seperate thread about this yesterday? :P
Anyway, I found this one yesterday:
Horizon - 22h w/ 5h of cutscenes
AC Odyssey - 38h w/ 9h of cutscenes
The Witcher 3 - 50h w/ 13h of cutscenes
Watch_Dogs 2 - 18h w/ 4h of cutscenes

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
So I am "edgy" because I skipped the cutscenes in Bayonetta? If the story is boring me I will skip the cutscenes. I really can't get over how many people feel personally offended by others playing games the way they want to.

I, personally, refuse to believe anyone will skip cut-scenes in a game especially their first time through, if nothing then solely for the "what happened, why am I in this firefight now ? what did I miss in the last scene ?" kinda thing.

If the question is about the game allowing an optional skip feature for those who want to, I'm all for it. But I cannot fathom people skipping cut-scenes their very first time through a game.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Do ppl hate wall of text the same way they hate cut scenes. I mean something like final fantasy Vii had like 10 hours worth of text. Would you skip everything if you could?

Do ppl hate stuff like yakuza as well. Because some of them have a shit ton of cut scenes as well?

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
I, personally, refuse to believe anyone will skip cut-scenes in a game especially their first time through, if nothing then solely for the "what happened, why am I in this firefight now ? what did I miss in the last scene ?" kinda thing.

If the question is about the game allowing an optional skip feature for those who want to, I'm all for it. But I cannot fathom people skipping cut-scenes their very first time through a game.
Why not? I skipped the ones in Bayonetta just like the person you quoted. The gameplay is fun, but the cutscenes were trash.

Noob

Oct 25, 2017
fucking waste of resource and time with those cut scenes. It's a game not a movie. Go watch a movie if you don't want to play the game.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
fucking waste of resource and time with those cut scenes. It's a game not a movie. Go watch a movie if you don't want to play the game.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Last year alone had Yakuza 6, God of War, Red Dead 2 & Spider-Man which I completely adored for both their gameplay and story.

Not everything needs a focus on narrative of course but there's evidence many want it and will continue to do so.

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Cutscenes aren't that big of a deal. Especially in a action game like Bayonetta where you pretty much just going to 1 task to the next. The only games which cutscenes are important are like "Life is Strange" or something because its important to know about the story in order to progress. If you playing a game that linear like bayonetta or open world with a bunch of arrows, destinations and landmarks you really dont need it because the game is showing you what to do.

Oct 30, 2017
Tetris is a soulless game? Mario is a soulless game? Journey is a soulless game??

Plus a game doesn't need cutscenes to tell a story. Dark Souls 1 has my favorite storytelling in gaming and it has like 4 minutes of cutscenes spread across a 30 hour playthrough.

I wouldnt say soulless games, but experiences, for me. Most games that focus on game play like most Nintendo games bore me. BotW and Mario, while both fun for a few hours became a redundant tasks. But you need to understand that what made me appreciate games for the first time was story. While I had a few good experiences on Nintendo and SEGA back in the 90's, it wasn't until I played FF7 and MGS that i really got into gaming. So for me, I've been able to enjoy games outside of that, but only superficially. But I understand that there's a lot of people that truly enjoy mastering the games mechanics far more than story.

Yeah the souls games do a great job. But that's also by design and it's not something every game can or should do. Imagine play ME trilogy with the souls design in story telling... that might make for a great game but it's not going to be on the level of Mass Effect. There's a place for every type of game. But what surprised me most, is that people don't like cutscenes or story in a story driven game such as this. It pertains to this game and games like it. It would be like playing Last of Us with no cut scenes or dialogue and conversations which would be horrible lol because the gameplay mechanics were boring after the first few times. While some might enjoy running around in the world of AC mindlessly completing objectives, I need story to pad out an experience. To each their own though.

That's not at all how I feel.

I like story, but I think in a video game the goal should be to deliver the story in as interactive a fashion as possible.

As I have gotten older, my patience for NPC text, cut-scenes, voice, or ANY amount of time where control is wrested from me has gotten lower and lower.

Over the years, some standout games have moved the bar for interactive storytelling. Marathon, Metroid Prime, Half-Life 2, Bastion, Dark Souls, Breath of the Wild, and INSIDE come to mind immediately.

I have played a lottttttt of games. I was a kid in the late 70's and 80's and started off being an arcade rat, and have played games since. When a game hits a new high in gameplay, graphics (to a point, this is more about art direction), sound, music, it makes playing something that is considerably further back from it a lot less interesting to me.

Cut-scenes had their time, imo. They are, imo, anachronistic and haven't changed significantly other than length and quality.

I don't begrudge people liking cut-scenes, at all. But I will skip them for the most part.

People disingenuously say "thats like fast forwarding through a movie". Movies are an entirely passive medium to ingest. They are linear, and they go through a TON of editing to keep them in a certain time-span, keep the pacing good, tell/show enough of a story. I love movies. But man, going back and watching some from the 70's or before is almost unbearable now. The pacing is bad slow, a lot of times plot is over-explained, etc.

Books/reading is also linear. But books do something important that movies/tv cannot do in the same way - engage your imagination in a big way. I was discussing this with a friend a while ago, specifically about how/why we got so much more out of old Final Fantasy games, and I came up with this conclusion: you HAD to read, and the graphics were basically a loose representation of place. So your imagination went wild - filled in the pantomime actions of the characters onscreen in conjunction with not having to have book-like descriptions of place. As the graphics got better, our enjoyment of the STORY of FF games diminished, as we thought back on it.

Games are their own thing - and I think narrative/story/lore delivery is still in an evolving state as technology evolves and designers take advantage of it. I absolutely adore INSIDE and how it tells a story. Theres no voice, theres no text, it's 100% through action and environment. I don't have a link, but the designers purposefully went in and took out as much overt information as possible out of the game world. This is a thing good writers do for books and movies as well. The end result is constantly asking questions of what the fuck is going on, basically the whole game. It also led to a huge amount of plot discussion after the fact, some about concrete things and others about the philosophical questions asked by the game. I think every game that wants to tell a story can use this kind of storytelling to make the story and what you are playing WAY more tied together.

The other issue with cut-scenes is they really cannot(well could but shouldnt) deliver any information about gamestate that you cant get in another way (like a quest journal or a big arrow pointing where to go). They give some people context to their actions, but it's often just ludicrous. No cut scene ever can give context to Lara Croft being a mass murderer.

They also constantly show you doing thing that you can't do in gameplay, and as production values go up, it's more and more rare that there will be too many cut-scenes produced that wont be seen in a playthrough, and I think this ties games down to being linear slogs to just get to the next cutscene.

Anyway build is done, but I am happy to discuss any of these points more later.

Yeah watching some of those movies from back then is such a slog lol.

Personally, I think inside was good, I enjoyed its minimalistic gameplay and there's definitely a place for these types of games. However, I would argue sometimes these games aren't as deep as implied. It easy to make an ambiguous statement and let people run with it. Your audience will come up with way more about your statement than you ever intended. It's far more challenging to create a impactful story that's told to the player. But there's a place for both.

I think you might be right about old final fantasy's. The style of those games allowed it to get away with corky dialouge that if you listened to in modern games would make you cringe. But it also allowed you to use your imagination a bit.

Getting older is definitely a factor, but it's probably diminishing attention spans because of modern lifestyles and the increased responsibilities being an adult. I find i am more rushed when I play a game. I no longer have the time to beat a game in 2 days or even a month. So I understand that people might want to rush, but I would rather trim the padding before I trim dialogue and story. But like I mentioned above, there's all sorts of gamers and I understand that we all want something different from our games.

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why not? I skipped the ones in Bayonetta just like the person you quoted. The gameplay is fun, but the cutscenes were trash.
Yeah, I skipped the scenes in Bayonetta too. The majority of games have trash tier writing and acting that make the CW look like Masterpiece Theater. If I'm digging gameplay but not the story, I'll mash that skip button. I'd rather read a book or watch a show/movie for a solid story that isn't written to adapt to a game's setpieces. That said, if I do like a game's story (i.e. Spider-Man) I don't skip the scenes and ultimately it provides an overall better experience.

Noob

Oct 25, 2017
This is easily ignorable but I'll bite. This has to be a troll post correct?

Nah... If you think a 6hr long cut scenes in a 30 hr long game is fine, gaming isn't for you. You are better off watching a TV drama. For real lol.
True gamers play with the controllers, not just sit there and watch cut scenes all night long lol.

Jake_brake

Sep 13, 2018
Everything about this game seems to line up perfectly with my taste and yet I could care less about it, I don't know why, but this game doesn't appeal to me.
Possibly because not a singular thing really sticks out. I don't want to call the title generic as some have already proclaimed, that's not fair to it yet, or he devs.

However I agree with the notion that it feels as if, from the little knowledge I have of the game thus far, it's trying to mark off a check list of things the game needs to succeed. Hopefully there's depth to the freakers, main characters and gameplay systems. One thing I have heard is the open world is very strong, but that only won't carry it.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
This is easily ignorable but I'll bite. This has to be a troll post correct?

Could've been, but...

Nah... If you think a 6hr long cut scenes in a 30 hr long game is fine, gaming isn't for you. You are better off watching a TV drama. For real lol.
True gamers play with the controllers, not just sit there and watch cut scenes all night long lol.

-this- is the real troll post LMAO. Bravo.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Why are we back to the "skipping cutscenes" topic? We had a whole seperate thread about this yesterday? :P
Anyway, I found this one yesterday:
Horizon - 22h w/ 5h of cutscenes
AC Odyssey - 38h w/ 9h of cutscenes
The Witcher 3 - 50h w/ 13h of cutscenes
Watch_Dogs 2 - 18h w/ 4h of cutscenes
This is amazing, lol.

Thank you for this.