• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you Lewis. I wonder what the holy split between gameplay and cutscene is and if there has ever been a game that has met the immaculate standards set by the resetera folk. Does perfection exist?
It's not resetera standards. Most people skip cutscenes. I still remember old 1up podcasts with developers talking about how many players will skip the story if given the option.

It really shouldn't be suprising when most players don't even finish games.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
while it's obviously a "you do you" kinda thing, i really don't understand how people can skip cutscenes on their first playthrough. at least for me, i need context and motivation to actually play the game and if i feel completely lost and don't know what i'm doing or why i'm doing it, the game becomes not that exciting to play. of course there are games that are just super pure gamey games and there's no context needed, but a big budget game like this was never going to be like that. as much as people like to downplay the importance of story in video games, i think it's a huge factor for the average audience of video games and they like to be told a story as well when they select a game to play.
of course there are other methods of story telling beside cutscenes, but they're either much harder to pull off (environmental story telling, trusting the player to piece together the lore on their own) or much more annoying than cutscenes (forced walking sections, taking most interactivity away from the player which is usually even more jarring than a break to watch a cutscene).
the option to skip cutscenes is a very good thing on second or third playthroughs tho, but even then unless they seriously suck i end up rewatching the cutscenes.

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
This is comparable to Horizon Zero Dawn, right? Did the story add or remove from the pacing in that game?

What other games have comparable length in cutscenes/gameplay?

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't wait for those glowing previews come Wednesday to shut all these haters who know nothing about the game up.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
It depends on the game, to be honest. It's not even the split. If the story is interesting to me, I don't mind long cutscenes. If I care more about the gameplay than the story, I would rather skip it. Back when we had overly long RPG wall of texts and I wasn't really interested in side-story number 124 I mashed "A", too. I just didn't care.
But I am not fighting for a game not having cutscenes, it's about the attitude towards people that like to have the option to skip them and I don't see anything wrong with that.
The option to skip should be present, I agree. Why anyone would skip main story beats on a first play through seems strange to me (unless you do not find the story engaging), but everyone is different.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Calling people with different opinions 7 years old? This place is worse than I thought.

He didn't specifically call them 7 year olds, rather stated that it's akin to something you'd expect from a 7 year old, and let's be real, is he actually wrong? When watching movies, TV shows, playing games or whatever (notably for the first time), it isn't usually adults who are asking to fast forward or hurry up and just get to the action or instant gratification content or whatever, by and large it's children, at least it has been from my own anecdotal experiences.

Granted if the story or characters or whatever are utter shite, then that's different. But obviously you're not going to be able to properly gauge the quality of a story if you're skipping cutscenes from the offset instead of actually paying attention to and investing in them, at least initially or to a reasonable degree anyway.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man, I know they say that because I guess some gamers like lenghty games. But all it does for me is make me weary of playing it, I much prefer shorter experiences (8 - 10 hrs is just fine by me).

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
The last game where I can remember hard skipping the cut scenes the moment they started was Ratchet and Clank PS4.

There is nothing wrong with skipping cut scenes and there is nothing wrong with watching cut scenes. There is nothing wrong with valuing story and narrative in games and there is nothing wrong with not caring about those things.

There is nothing wrong with having different preferences.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Granted if the story or characters or whatever are utter shite, then that's different. But obviously you're not going to be able to properly gauge the quality of a story if you're skipping cutscenes from the offset instead of actually paying attention to and investing in them, at least initially or to a reasonable degree anyway.

One person's utter shite...

Biggest problem with video games that are trying to be movies now is that much of the story they are telling needed to have a few hours chopped off in the editing room, but of course "more is better no matter what!". This leads to horrible pacing issues more often than not, and very few games have come anywhere close to even being as good as a middle of the pack movie. Doesn't stop them from trying though.

The best "cinematic" games are those that do it organically and make the player feel like part of the story, not as someone watching a story as this break from the game itself.

GReeeeN

Senior Analyst at GSD
Verified
Mar 6, 2018
The amount of people that want to skip cutscenes amazes me.

It's like.. your not even remotely interested in what's being created and want to spend $60 just to shoot zombies?

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh I wouldn't be so sure about that.

What a mess

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
It sure is weird to see how many people in this thread feel personally insulted and lash out at people because they skip cutscenes in video games.

Did some of you write these games? Why are you so upset that people have a different opinion about video game storytelling than you?

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
i'm getting old i got other shit to do. a game needs to be compelling for me to spend that much time on it. and by compelling i don't mean a lot of 'been there, done that' tropes and mechanics and what-have-yous.

Deleted member 49132

Banned
Oct 28, 2018
So you agree that just because a story exists doesn't mean it's worth watching? Because a few posts ago you were calling anyone who voluntarily skips the story a 7 year old, no matter the quality.
Obviously not all stories are worth watching, nor are they all created the same. Sorry I didn't specify.

But yeah, if you're playing a game, especially a Sony 1st Party single-player story driven game such as Days Gone, The Last of Us, God of War, Horizon etc

And pressing skip on the entire storyline...Just to get to the next walking segment with no idea what the plot is behind anything you're doing..

How is that not odd?

Doing so on a Call of Duty WW2 campaign, or a Battlefield campaign, sure, that's obviously different. Those games are not story focused nor is the story a standout feature, so in cases like those, it's much more understandable.

I didn't think I'd have to explain the obvious, I thought it went without saying.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most people skip cutscenes.
no they don't. you think all these big budget AAA games aren't focus tested to fuck? if most people actually did skip cutscenes, devs wouldn't be crazy to spend all that budget on writing, voice acting, motion capture, etc for the cutscenes. most people watch them which is why they exist.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
For all you guys know, the story of Days Gone is breathtaking. Just keep an open mind.
This is where I'm at. I'm all for skipping cutscenes if the story blows like KH3 and I just wanna play the game, but I'll always give the game a chance to win me over.

That said, if Days Gone does have a boring story after 5 hours, I'm skipping everything. I could just as well stare at an installation screen for 10 minutes and get the same amount of entertainment. I don't need story in my games to push me forward, just a goal to work towards.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
just give me the option to skip it. know what would be really nice though? if there was an auto skip feature for cutscenes.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The amount of people that want to skip cutscenes amazes me.

It's like.. your not even remotely interested in what's being created and want to spend $60 just to shoot zombies?
Yes, some people buy the game only because they want to shoot zombies, explore the game world, ride the motorcycle, etc. They don't give a shit about the story or the guy's inevitably dead wife or the character arc. There is nothing wrong with that.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Obviously not all stories are worth watching, nor are they all created the same. Sorry I didn't specify.

But yeah, if you're playing a game, especially a Sony 1st Party single-player story driven game such as Days Gone, The Last of Us, God of War, Horizon etc

And pressing skip on the entire storyline...Just to get to the next walking segment with no idea what the plot is behind anything you're doing..

How is that not odd?

Doing so on a Call of Duty WW2 campaign, or a Battlefield campaign, sure, that's obviously different. Those games are not story focused nor is the story a standout feature, so in cases like those, it's much more understandable.

I didn't think I'd have to explain the obvious, I thought it went without saying.
Because not everyone values the same things as you. Just because the devs spent more time on the story doesn't necessarily make it any good.

Loving the condescension though, it's definitely deserved over this banter about video games.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
that's like the perfect amount of time I wanted out of Days Gone, don't want another RDR 2 100+hrs game, it'd burn people out!

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because not everyone values the same things as you. Just because the devs spent more time on the story doesn't necessarily make it any good.

Loving the condescension though, it's definitely deserved over this banter about video games.
Wow, really dude? You think some people don't value the production values and industry-leading narrative depth of Sony PlayStation First Party Exclusives? What are they, fucking two years olds?

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
no they don't. you think all these big budget AAA games aren't focus tested to fuck? if most people actually did skip cutscenes, devs wouldn't be crazy to spend all that budget on writing, voice acting, motion capture, etc for the cutscenes. most people watch them which is why they exist.
They spend millions on games that are 30 hours with almost half of the players not ever finishing the games.

We know this because most players never get the story completion trophy.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They spend millions on games that are 30 hours with almost half of the players not ever finishing the games.

We know this because most players never get the story completion trophy.
yeah we know most people don't finish games. but here's my question
do you think rdr2 would have sold as much as it did if there was no story and it was basically "cowboy simulator"?
or if the average "AAA" game was just stripped to its basic gameplay with all cutscenes taken out?
for the average joe, i think story and cutscenes are a big part of why they spend 60 dollars on a game.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It sure is weird to see how many people in this thread feel personally insulted and lash out at people because they skip cutscenes in video games.

Did some of you write these games? Why are you so upset that people have a different opinion about video game storytelling than you?
I'll tell you why it gets me heated. Because of smug bullshit like this:

I have the same question for people who watch cutscenes, actually. If you like watching so much there are other mediums you should invest yourself in.

It's such a mind-bogglingly foolish thing to say that it makes me eyes roll into my skull and down my spine. I despise this line of thought that's gained traction in recent years of how "game stories lol so bad" "lol stories in games, waste of time, read a book" "lol go watch a movie".

Game stories are fine and are fun to consume, why would you ever want them just taken away? Why would you not prefer a narrative to supplement your gameplay? There are some people who seriously just want games to be story-less bubbles of interactivity like Tetris all the time?

Ew, cutscenes? If my fingers aren't slapping buttons every millisecond I'm holding the controller, I might as well watch a movie!

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
I feel like thats around the sweet spot for me. Long enough for me to stay engaged but not so long I lose interest. RDR2 was guilty of being almost a bit too long for me.
Super excited for Days Gone. Sony has been on a roll with exclusives.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
30 hours stated length for an open world game is guaranteed to be at least 80 for me. What was the pre-release stated length for Horizon Zero Dawn? I ended up playing that for like 120 hours.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
One person's utter shite...

Biggest problem with video games that are trying to be movies now is that much of the story they are telling needed to have a few hours chopped off in the editing room, but of course "more is better no matter what!". This leads to horrible pacing issues more often than not, and very few games have come anywhere close to even being as good as a middle of the pack movie. Doesn't stop them from trying though.

The best "cinematic" games are those that do it organically and make the player feel like part of the story, not as someone watching a story as this break from the game itself.

I don't think it's about games trying to be movies. Cinema or film doesn't have ownership or rights over story telling or moving picture etc, instead story telling is open to all manner of mediums. Ultimately gaming is a medium that is perfect for story telling and characterisation, especially given the interactive elements can compliment and heighten the impact of or investment into such things.

It's less about video games trying to be movies (a rather reductive viewpoint) and rather developers simply wanting to tell interesting stories or characters or whatever, that appeal to or resonate with audiences on a deeper level beyond the gameplay. Eg stories and characters people can relate to, or that make them laugh, cry, feel anger, sorrow, sadness, love, joy, horror, shock, and so on. In other words a complimentary level of engagement and entertainment beyond just mechanical gameplay enjoyment.

Granted most video game stories are pretty lacklustre or poorly told, but the more studios and developers experiment with and invest time and effort into these things, the better they're slowly getting, and the more compelling stories, characters, writing etc we potentially get, especially as the level of competition or quality improves.

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
Seems good. Will certainly finished it in 15-20h like Horizon if the side quests doesnt appeal me. I'm ok with that.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
yeah we know most people don't finish games. but here's my question
do you think rdr2 would have sold as much as it did if there was no story and it was basically "cowboy simulator"?
or if the average "AAA" game was just stripped to its basic gameplay with all cutscenes taken out?
for the average joe, i think story and cutscenes are a big part of why they spend 60 dollars on a game.
If most people don't finish games why do developers use the length of their games as selling point?

I think RDR2 wouldn't have sold as well. Because it would only appeal to those players that don't care about the story. But games can appeal to all kinds of people. Some players will watch every cutscene. Some will finish every game. But we know most people don't finish games. And if I am remembering correctly as it has been a while since I listened to those podcasts, most people skip cutscenes.

Maybe someone on here can do one of those twitter threads that asks developers what percentage of players skip cutscenes.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
My initial thoughts were "that sounds like a lot and I'm not sure that's what I want"

but then I realized I haven't played the game and don't know too much about it, so if it is as engaging as something like, God of War, then I have no problem with the length or cut-scenes.

We'll see, though.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
It's pretty standard for open-world games with a big story component

Horizon - 22h w/ 5h of cutscenes
AC Odyssey - 38h w/ 9h of cutscenes
The Witcher 3 - 50h w/ 13h of cutscenes
Watch_Dogs 2 - 18h w/ 4h of cutscenes

I appreciate you taking the time to reply, but what's the definition of a cutscene here ? Because I really don't remember Horizon or TW3 having such long cutscenes.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
RDR2 is not 100 hours if you just play main story without side quests and the 30 hour stat here for Days Gone is main story without the many side quests that is also has.

Oh hey don't get me wrong, not here to put down RDR2. Love RDR 2 to bits, but I felt the game takes forever to progress which makes sense considering how vast and massive everything is in it.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But how much time do you have to invest until you know it's utter shite? This depends entirely on the game and if it starts in a bad way you can hardly blame the people for not being interested in further character or story development.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
6 hours sprinkled about a story driven open world game sound like the standard.