• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

fersnake

Nov 17, 2017
Guatemala
cutscenes too overrated, we need just action with no context and cut to the chase basically turn on console/pc and play

giphy.gif

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
And just as many people care about a good story its great to see devs strive for them.

Of course, no one is demanding the devs to stop telling stories, I think it's great that people are enjoying them.

We are just explaining why it's okay to skip cutscenes, it's okay that some people prefer gameplay over story, and vice versa.

For me personally I always love a great story and will pay 100% attention to it if it's something that I cared about, but if the story or universe doesn't grab me then I stopped caring and would start skipping cutscenes once It gets boring. I would NEVER skip cutscenes in Uncharted games because they are just amazing.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds a bit too long for me, especially since nothing we've seen of the story so far has interested me in the least, but I'm still interested in checking it out if the reception is positive.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
So i read the op. Then the first posters are rushing in to denigrate cutscenes at large. Funny. Anyhow. That runs the first page and...

...click to 8th page...

Still derailed. Bookmark this for posterity.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Awesome. But just hours of cutscenes is not saying much. Not sure why everyone is already taking conclusions over it.
I'm actually more curious with the side content and post credits to do activities.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
cutscenes too overrated, we need just action with no context and cut to the chase basically turn on console/pc and play

giphy.gif

Nah I think games like Bloodborne, Ori, Ico, Dishonoured actually tell a great story that fully uses the gaming medium.

Any game that has 6 hours of cutscenes is way too excessive

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan

giphy.gif

Incredibly shallow read on this debate.

People are not saying they don't want stories, people are saying that the cutscenes in this game takes too long and that's not the kind of storytelling they want.

Some people prefer a more engaging type of storytelling such as gameplay or environmental storytelling. Not everyone likes watching movies in a video game.

Besides, just because games like Last of Us, Uncharted and God of War have amazing cutscenes doesn't mean video game cutscene are all amazing by default, a lot of them are garbage. Even games that are supposedly highly story focused can have really bad cutsceness, the final season of Telltale's Walking Dead is a great example, and don't even remind me of The Order 1886, the cutscenes in that game is downright laughable.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Consistent history of trolling and system warring; numerous accumulated infractions
Great! 30h main story +50h total (at least for me, can'twait to cruise the pacific northwest with a bike)

Most of those who wanna skip the cutscenes don't even own a PS4 so it's the same old story of attacking Sony's games for being too cinematic...

We know how that turns out though, with Sony's games dominating sales and awards so keep on fightng, Sony we'll keep on making the games we all love :P

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
You have your answer.
90% of cutscenes sucks in gaming. Only Naughty Dog matches TV series or movies.

You are not wrong, the best gaming experience are usually about the player's own story. It's storytelling through gameplay.

Bloodborne, BOTW, Dark Souls, REmake/REmake 2, RE4, Hollow Knight, Castlevania SOTN etc.

Not saying cutscenes can't be great, lots of Sony games have great cutscenes, but they are the minority.
We will see about Days Gone, it could be a masterpiece for all I know, still six hours is a LOT of cutscenes. I just hope they are worth it.

Last edited:

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Imagine whining about cutscenes being too long in a game you haven't even played yet based entirely on two meaningless numbers that offer absolutely zero context

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
To all the people complaining that they prefer telling stories through "gameplay"..... Have the devs mentioned not doing that too? Game seems ripe for world building through loot descriptions, audio logs and random events in the open world

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Hopefully the story is solid. The first Syphon Filter is the only Bend game I've played so I don't really know what they are capable of in the story department. The game looks fun as hell though.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
So i read the op. Then the first posters are rushing in to denigrate cutscenes at large. Funny. Anyhow. That runs the first page and...

...click to 8th page...

Still derailed. Bookmark this for posterity.

It's very discouraging tbh, all Day's Gone threads end up being derailed in the same way.

It's been going on for more than a year and I don't see it stopping anytime soon, specially with the game coming out next month

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
If previews are good tomorrow, I will pre-order this right away. 30 Hours for the story alon means I'll probably put in 60-80 hours , which is an excellent length.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
It's very discouraging tbh, all Day's Gone threads end up being derailed in the same way.

It's been going on for more than a year and I don't see it stopping anytime soon, specially with the game coming out next month

Why is this not happening to Death Stranding and Ghost of Tsushima? Why are people only ''hating'' on this game?

LaTasse

Nov 7, 2017
It's insane to see so many people in this thread being seemingly personally offended by people claiming they will skip the cutscenes. Those people need to chill. 6 hours of cutscenes is way too much for some of us and it's okay to prefer playing over watching the game.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
It's insane to see so many people in this thread being seemingly personally offended by people claiming they will skip the cutscenes. Those people need to chill. 6 hours of cutscenes is way too much for some of us and it's okay to prefer playing over watching the game.
This is your take from this thread?

Gerwant

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine whining about cutscenes being too long in a game you haven't even played yet based entirely on two meaningless numbers that offer absolutely zero context

It's the Days Gone thread. People will complain and shitpost about absolutely everything.

Last edited:

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
That is about the length I expected. God of War was a similar situation for me from memory.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Besides, just because games like Last of Us, Uncharted and God of War have amazing cutscenes doesn't mean video game cutscene are all amazing by default, a lot of them are garbage. Even games that are supposedly highly story focused can have really bad cutsceness, the final season of Telltale's Walking Dead is a great example, and don't even remind me of The Order 1886, the cutscenes in that game is downright laughable.

So, you're saying the story and cutscenes in this game are likely to be garbage, eventhough it's not even released yet? Why not wait and see, if they're actually as good as in the three games you mentioned? It's pretty damn dismissive to compare Days Gone to The Order at this point, considering Sony hasn't published such a failure since then, and all of their big story-driven games have been both critical and commercial successes, Horizon Zero Dawn and Spider-Man included. Based on the ratio between successes and failures, the chance of another Order like dud seem rather small.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Nah I think games like Bloodborne, Ori, Ico, Dishonoured actually tell a great story that fully uses the gaming medium.

Any game that has 6 hours of cutscenes is way too excessive

When it's a big open world game, that lasts around 30 hours, I don't think it's excessive. It's nice to have context to what we are doing in the world and get to know the characters through the story.

ParanoidRED

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Days Gone is several times larger than RE2 in nearly every aspect.
And? i said that REmake2 it's the perfect mix for me as far as the frequency, lenght and rhythm of cutscenes goes (wich is what 30-40 min cutscenes for both campaigns?)

Great! 30h main story +50h total (at least for me, can'twait to cruise the pacific northwest with a bike)

Most of those who wanna skip the cutscenes don't even own a PS4 so it's the same old story of attacking Sony's games for being too cinematic...

We know how that turns out though, with Sony's games dominating sales and awards so keep on fightng, Sony we'll keep on making the games we all love :P

Should i drop my pre-order receipt to post in this thread now? lol

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
These monsters in this thread skipping cutscenes. Big weirdos.

As for the game, I really like Bend, but it's like the knock-off Last of Us. I'm struggling to get any kind of excitement going for it.