• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Why is this not happening to Death Stranding and Ghost of Tsushima? Why are people only ''hating'' on this game?
Horizon, Spider Man, God of War 4 and even The Last of Us were received just as this game. It only changed until we got near the release date for opinions to change. Happens everytime.

And yes expect Ghost of Tsushima to get hate when we hear more about it.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Great! 30h main story +50h total (at least for me, can'twait to cruise the pacific northwest with a bike)

Most of those who wanna skip the cutscenes don't even own a PS4 so it's the same old story of attacking Sony's games for being too cinematic...

We know how that turns out though, with Sony's games dominating sales and awards so keep on fightng, Sony we'll keep on making the games we all love :P

Man till this day MGS4 is one of my favorite games ever, loved how many cutscenes and.plot heavy the game was.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Hmm.. I'll wait for what the jury say about the game before jumping in... 6 hours is entering Kingdom Hearts territory ;P
That's 3 full feature movies crammed in to one 30 hour game.

I like cutscenes as much as the next guy but a 5th of the game sounds very much.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
In addition, the game offers a full six hours of "cinematics"

image.jpg

Aug 9, 2018
If the game has multiple story branches and endings then it is unlikely that you will see all 6 hours of cutscenes in one play through.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
<citation needed>

In lots of games you can clearly notice how the story has been constructed as flimsy excuse around the gameplay concept, not the other way around.
Okay, not most but a lot of. Especially in story-focused games like this one, cutscene is one of the main ways to deliver story.

Skipping cutscenes in video games is like skipping a few pages when reading a book for no reason.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

9.5 hours of cutscenes

6 hours of cutscenes.

can we stop this.

Hmm.. I'll wait for what the jury say about the game before jumping in... 6 hours is entering Kingdom Hearts territory ;P
That's 3 full feature movies crammed in to one 30 hour game.

I like cutscenes as much as the next guy but a 5th of the game sounds very much.
if you look in the links in my post, 6 hours is a perfectly standard length for an open world game in the current generation.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Everything we saw about the story looked boring af. I'll still get the game because I think it looks good from a Gameplay perspective. But I'm not too hot on the story stuff.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Horizon, Spider Man, God of War 4 and even The Last of Us were received just as this game. It only changed until we got near the release date for opinions to change. Happens everytime.

And yes expect Ghost of Tsushima to get hate when we hear more about it.

I mean Death Stranding is already getting it...(it's a walking simulator, too weird, too confusing, etc)

9.5 hours of cutscenes

6 hours of cutscenes.

can we stop this.

Thank you for this.

Also, as a poster just mentioned, the fact that there are branching paths means you won't see all of them in a single playthrough, making the point even more moot

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
As someone who started playing God of War yesterday, if Days Gone has cutscenes of similar quality, I'll be watching every single second of them during my first play-through :)

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So 24 hours of gameplay just for the main quest. That seems long, and potentially draggy.

Don't worry. Devs always inflate the length of their game pre release. We had a thread here about Capcon claiming Resi 2 was 10-12 hours for a single campaign and its closer to 6, for example.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Sounds like a meaty game.......I enjoy getting comfy in a nice long story heavy game.
Sony's first party totally in tune with what I want out of my video games....love it!

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Don't worry. Devs always inflate the length of their game pre release. We had a thread here about Capcon claiming Resi 2 was 10-12 hours for a single campaign and its closer to 6, for example.

The main story takes about 7.5 hours if you don't snoop around and clear all puzzles immediately. Stop the hyperbole.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
More like <20 hours for the main story and 30+ hours for "everything".

I highly doubt it's 30 hours for the main story.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
More like <20 hours for the main story and 30+ hours for "everything".

I highly doubt it's 30 hours for the main story.

30 Hours sounds really short for an open world game with vehicular traversal. Highly unlikely you can completely cover all things on the map in 30 hours. So yeah, I think it's 30 hours for the story.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
I hope the previews tomorrow will be positive because every time I go into a days gone thread it's just very negative sadly.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
30 Hours sounds really short for an open world game with vehicular traversal. Highly unlikely you can completely cover all things on the map in 30 hours. So yeah, I think it's 30 hours for the story.

30 hours main story is a lot for a non-RPG game, i don't recall non-RPG Open World games to last 30 hours for the campaign alone.

WillySJ3

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Sounds good to me, after finishing AC Odyssey and TW3 in the last 2 months, I'm ready for anything you throw at me.

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Sounds too long for me. That's the kind of length where I actually need decent gameplay. Which I'm yet to be sold on with days gone.

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
PPl saying they will skip them are the same ones that will create threads saying that the story was trash.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
I see plenty mentionning they would skip the cutscenes...can you actually skip the cutscenes ?

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Okay, not most but a lot of. Especially in story-focused games like this one, cutscene is one of the main ways to deliver story.

Skipping cutscenes in video games is like skipping a few pages when reading a book for no reason.
It's really, really not.

Assuming you're talking about narrative books, then the comparison makes zero sense since those books not only have nothing but pages, they build off those pages in a way that you can't skip them whilst still actually engaging with the book. But games aren't made that way, a lot of games, even story focused ones, have a clear distinction between gameplay and story. Most games allow you to skip the story in a way that will not impact the gameplay section at all.

And the thing is that there is a comparison to be made with books here: books with disparate sections of information. Recipe books for example may come with little vignettes for each recipe you can read, giving you a little bit of background, but skipping over them in no way impacts a person's ability to use the recipe. Short story collections can be easily skimmed through, with the reader choosing which stories to read freely. Those are far better comparisons to make to games, since it is possible to extract out just the part you're interested in and excise the parts you aren't in many, which you can't really do with a narrative book. And yeah, games also exist where you can not seperate them out into independent parts, but often those do not give the player freedom to outright skip the story content. Visual Novels for example usually lock off the skip button until the player has already naturally seen a line, because separating the story out of a VN will actually take away most of the gameplay, due to the importance of the story to every part of those games. Similarly, most RPG's where you're constantly reacting to dialogue in a way that has an impact on the entire rest of the game don't offer skip buttons. You could technically just spam through all the dialogue, but that's a very different thing than actually skipping it.

But nothing about this game that I've seen implies that it has a need to force the player to engage with the story. Most of what has been shown off at E3's and stuff has focused on gameplay seperate from narrative, so you can not blame people for wanting an option to avoid something they aren't interested in.

Long story short: don't use disingenuous comparisons in an attempt to shame people for playing games the way they want.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Lol ik people can play how they want but skipping cut scenes is such a little annoyance of mine. Like why remove content and context for yourself. I like to absorb as much information about what im playing rather than just pressing buttons to make a cool thing happen then move on to the next game.

But anyways, 6 hours sound about right for a game like this ! Can't wait!

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
If the game has multiple story branches and endings then it is unlikely that you will see all 6 hours of cutscenes in one play through.

Yeah the 6 hours to me means seeing all of the game. Things like short scenes before things not in the main story and different outcomes are all included in it.

People seem to be missing that and going straight to 'concern' you'll be getting 40 minute MGS style info dumps in between 10 minutes of gameplay.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
who gives a crap about story in video games?? it's not like good movies or good books

skip all cutscenes in video games.

Haelsly

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hopeful for the quality of the story! If I can get the same (or similar) level of enjoyment and time spent out of this as I did with Horizon Zero Dawn then I'll be a happy camper.

Megawarrior

Oct 25, 2017
Hope the story is good. Also the length is just enough for me as a working adult with limited time nowadays. anything above 40 is not getting done / never gets completed.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
who gives a crap about story in video games??
i'd say the vast majority of people who play video games, unless it's something like a puzzle game or multiplayer-only game where story can be non-existent.

it's not like good movies or good books
there's no rule saying games can't have good stories. there are many games where the story is really good, just like there are many books and films with complete garbage stories. in fact stories are often the thing we remember the most from old classic games we've played, even if we may forget what exactly the gameplay was like. you think someone's memory of an old RPG classic is how the battle system was and what item gave you the best stat boost, or mostly about the story and its epic or mem moments?