• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Eventually got the platinum, but really slowed down my play time. Levelling camp 4 up was a PITA, should have saved my ears for that one. Was a bit worried about going for the nitro trophy, but it popped on my second attempt (the one where I didn't run into a tree, lol).

It was the collectathon trophy that was the real pain, so glad it wasn't 100%. The easiest way to get the last few was driving to the historical markers - I'd assumed that once they were on the map I'd seen them, but no, the only appeared on the map by reading the maps in bunkers. Probably could have done a lot of those while playing the game, didn't realise.

Doesn't in any way take the shine of an amazing game. Be there day #1 for More Days Gone on ps5.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I can't wait for this game to get a sequel for next gen. I have a good feeling about it now that Bend has gotten experience on their first open world game. Plus with next gen tech behind it, I can see it circumventing a lot of the performance issues that the game currently struggles with.

I've really been enjoying my time with it, and while I can see some of the mixed issues some reviewers have had with it, it's likely to stay in my top 3 for this year. Also, I think this game has WAAAAY more heart than Assassins Creed and other Ubi style open world games. I'm still honestly baffled why those games continue to get praise. My girlfriend as a light gamer has regularly commented on how incredibly bland and boring Assassins Creed is, and that's even with me trying to straightline through main content and avoid meandering.

For my purposes, Days Gone is far more compelling. I think this comes down to the characters, and largely the awful grindy level gating of Odyssey and Origins.

Although I often agree with critical consensus, Days Gone has made me question how much stock I should honestly put into professional criticism.
The only thing I can come up with is how Sony's own WWS have raised the quality bar so anything coming out of first party has to meet a certain standard.

Also the one consistent issue I see with the game is "slow start" this could be particularly painful for critics who are rushing to finish games for review time.

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Enjoying the game but i get some massive frame drops riding my bike around on my base ps4 :(

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
I dig the gameplay but god is the narrative slow paced. Feels like I've been playing for 15 hours and very little has actually happened.

Boozer has his blade arm and I just finished the last of the NERO missions and found out Sarah's fate.

How far am I?

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Gotta say, I love this game soft cover system.

Deacon's automatically in cover position/animation when he's crouching near a waist-height object but without the stickiness of Uncharted cover system.

Similar to TLoU, but faster animation I guess?
Completely agree, cover is very slickly done. Also, even though there's loads to interact with, the game keeps that all pretty tidy with the little triangles until you're up close. Last thing it needed was something like The Division 2's visual vomit and clunk with button prompts scrawled on the surrounding obstacles, it's so much cleaner and leaves you in the experience more and able to navigate some tricky situations quite smoothly. Don't feel like I'm sitting back thinking "this is such a gamey game with these game things" as with other titles.

Balls deep.

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I dig the gameplay but god is the narrative slow paced. Feels like I've been playing for 15 hours and very little has actually happened.

Boozer has his blade arm and I just finished the last of the NERO missions and found out Sarah's fate.

How far am I?

well, if this truly is just 40% of the way through the game, then i'm gonna have to come up with another game or 2 to play during breaks (which was the only way i managed to finish red dead redemption 2) :) ...

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
The only thing I can come up with is how Sony's own WWS have raised the quality bar so anything coming out of first party has to meet a certain standard.

Also the one consistent issue I see with the game is "slow start" this could be particularly painful for critics who are rushing to finish games for review time.
Yeah the first few hours are probably the least interesting part of the game, so if someone frames their criticism from that perspective and don't toy around with the systems much, I could see why it would fair worse.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The waypoint review could not have been more wrong in its characterization of the story and characters. Really enjoying the presentation and dramatic performances.

Yeah, it was really frustrating to see that from @patrickklepek. So much of what he complains about is literally him not giving the game a chance to play out its conflicts. It comes across like someone reading the first third of The Great Gatsby and writing an essay to condemn it's uncritical display of opulent wealth. He complains about the Lisa story at a point where the game literally tells you you've only seen the first 17% or so.

Listening to the Waypoint podcast on the game was also extremely frustrating. He said a lot of things that are patently false, like that the game doesn't have hordes, and there is no bike customization. He even brings up the wedding scene to further dunk on the game, obviously completely absent of any knowledge of the context the game actually provides for the line. And that's totally ignoring his assertion that the game feels bad to play, which I would strenuously disagree with.

The problem isn't that he's critical of the game, it's that his critique is incredibly shallow and ignorant.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
This game has so many combat options that I keep forgetting to use,like the smoke bombs,flashbangs and the distractors.

Last edited:

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Shooting is much nicer than i expected! Well the times I got a good shotgunand an automatic rifle that is.

Also kinda weird how the driving impacts framerate so much (base ps4). The game is literally about zombies and the bike. Not affecting my enjoyment as of yet, but hope it does not get worse

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
I didnt even find out the game had flash bangs until last night, after beating the game lol. I used distractors a ton though, they're so good to round up hordes and then lob a grenade.
Yeah I just started using the mines more since I can make them now.Also the enemies actually react to the smoke bomb which is a nice detail

I used distractors like one time lol going to start using them more.

Shooting is much nicer than i expected! Well the times I got a good shotgunand an automatic rifle that is.

Also kinda weird how the driving impacts framerate so much (base ps4). The game is literally about zombies and the bike. Not affecting my enjoyment as of yet, but hope it does not get worse
Yeah the shooting to me is great especially after you get more and more skills into it.

I got a tutorial pop up during a mission about using flashbangs and was like "oh yeah I forgot I bought those 20 hours ago" lol
lol you forget about alot of options in the game when you are use to playing a certain way

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finally got my platinum trophy after taking my time with the game, driving the broken road, while doing side-stuff all the time.
I think I've played ~90 hours (as I said: I took my time, driving around, exploring, etc.). What a ride. Great game.
My score: 8/10

To get a 9/10 or 10/10 for the sequel:
- Better performance
You can clearly see how small this team was. Too small for such a big game. ~45 devs when this project started. Now with 135+ devs, I'm sure it won't happen again. The Unreal Engine 4 is a nice engine, but I still hope they will use Guerrilla's Decima Engine for the sequel on PS5. Would be nice :D
- Get rid of thse forced slow walking sequences
Jesus Christ... they were killing me. Especially when you get to the military base for the first time. You wanna drive around on the broken road as quick as possible, because it feels so good. You wanna feel free.
But then, every few hours, they cripple you with those forced slow walking sequences to continue the story. They have to find a different way to tell the story, without forcing you to slowly walk around NPCs. Take a look at TLOU, GOW or Uncharted. Even tho NPCs are talking to you, you still can run/jump around while they are talking.
- More stunts with the bike
Driving around with the bike is awesome. But let us do some stuff with it while driving. Like... in Spider-Man PS4 while jumping around through the city. You've been able to fool around in mid-air with jumps, somersaults, etc.
There were a few ramps in Days Gone. But that's not enough. Give us a litte bit more :)
- Fuel lasting longer
To refuel the bike almost every ~5 minutes is annoying as hell. Too annyoing. Make it every 15 - 20 minutes. So you can enjoy riding the broken road with your bike, without being too scared all the time about your fuel, because you are looking at your fuel-gauge all the time. Make it last ~20 minutes. That's better, because it would suprise you more often. You wouldn't expect it all the time. You wouldn't look at your fuel-gauge all the time.
- Boss fights
Do some more boss fights. Mutated/infected creatures specifically/only for boss fights.

Watched the last nero cutscene last night. They better make a sequel on ps5 after that tease.
Damn right. I was kind shocked as Deacon was.
I expected him to be happy that Sarah survived, etc. And then he reveals that he's infected and mutating? Dude looked like a Breaker. Something big is coming.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10908

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The reviews that said Deke was an unlikable hero or an arsehole make me think they didnt actually play the game or at least not fully.

I loved his character, some great development and a lot of justification for why he is the way he is.
I had this exact conversation with a friend yesterday, some of the lower scoring reviews sound like they didnt finish the game. Its a huge 60 hour game and the reviewers probably had a week to finish the game, write a review and put the footage together for the review. I was in a similar boat and didnt like it the first 10 hours, kind of forced myself to continue. Absolutely loved it once i was halfway through

Mar 29, 2018
So I defeated the E3 lumberyard horde (absolutely incredible, one of the best videogame battles I've had in years) and...

I can't complete it? It won't say the horde is defeated even though the are absolutely NO freaks nearby. I can sit on my bike and even the bike's wider radar range doesn't show up any red for zed.

I killed some 500 freaks when I defeated them in full (bounty count was 480 but I think I killed a few earlier in the game)

What gives?

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
- More stunts with the bike
Driving around with the bike is awesome. But let us do some stuff with it while driving. Like... in Spider-Man PS4 while jumping around through the city. You've been able to fool around in mid-air with jumps, somersaults, etc.
There were a few ramps in Days Gone. But that's not enough. Give us a litte bit more :)

Harley's aren't really built for that, but they could give us a motocross style bike for jumps and stunts as an option. Not sure doing Superman seat grabs is very in character for Deek, though.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
So I defeated the E3 lumberyard horde (absolutely incredible, one of the best videogame battles I've had in years) and...

I can't complete it? It won't say the horde is defeated even though the are absolutely NO freaks nearby. I can sit on my bike and even the bike's wider radar range doesn't show up any red for zed.

I killed some 500 freaks when I defeated them in full (bounty count was 480 but I think I killed a few earlier in the game)

What gives?
I think that one is a mission??

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Harley's aren't really built for that, but they could give us a motocross style bike for jumps and stunts as an option. Not sure doing Superman seat grabs is very in character for Deek, though.
I don't need superman jumps, but some fun stunts would be nice and more fun. And the bike you had in the game wasn't really a Harley/Chopper. I mean, we were flying around in the world of Days Gone thanks to the ramps ingame. So doing a little bit more would have been nice. No reason the be super realistic. It's still a freaking zombie game in a post-apocalyptic world ;)

What gives?
Are you doing this after completing the story, or before? I had the same issue. I've complete the storyline, closed and started the game again and the remaining freakers were on the map. So I killed them and finish the Horde quest.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
The production value is aces.

That said, if I have to hear one more fucking time how we need to ride north...this is some Dutch level repetition even from deacon.

His outer monologue/exposition is so damn clunky it's distracting.

Chugging through though because at least the shooting is good enough.

Mar 29, 2018
I don't need superman jumps, but some fun stunts would be nice and more fun. And the bike you had in the game wasn't really a Harley/Chopper. I mean, we were flying around in the world of Days Gone thanks to the ramps ingame. So doing a little bit more would have been nice. No reason the be super realistic. It's still a freaking zombie game in a post-apocalyptic world ;)

Are you doing this after completing the story, or before? I had the same issue. I've complete the storyline, closed and started the game again and the remaining freakers were on the map. So I killed them and finish the Horde quest.
Well before finishing the story. Maybe if I reset the game it'll help. Thanks!

Nov 18, 2018
I'm having so much fun with this game. I'm near the end now and the progression has been really satisfying; I have all the upgrades, almost all skills, a great arsenal and I'm feeling enjoyably OP. (It helps that I'm playing on easy mode.) Mostly I've been cheesing the hordes by hiding in bushes and throwing attractors and pipe bombs but I just did one of the ones where you have to run around and shoot all the explosives and it was a ton of fun.

I don't super love the story and characters (except for my girl Rikki) but it's better than my admittedly low expectations. I found Deacon pretty unlikeable for most of it but he's sort of grown on me now. And the gameplay is really good so it makes up for the story's shortcomings.

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017

What gives?

I did the same thing. Its supposed to be a story mission but I did it early, dont worry you've cleared it.

toastybanana

Oct 27, 2017
I just checked online storage and found Days Gone uploaded over sixty auto save files even though I only have fifteen auto save files on my system lol
Is this related to version 1.06?
I just completed the game and noticed a save upload error notification. For some reason it decided to backup every single autosave since I started the game which topped 10GB.

00lsen

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

What gives?

This horde isn't a part of the Horde Extermination storyline and you do not get a notification for clearing it. not now, not during the story mission.

it really sucks as well because
when you arrive to clear it for the mission, the horde is of course already dead and gone but the game does not acknowledge it. Also, it is supposed to be an important part of the ending of the game, yet it feels empty and broken because of it.

Don't know whose dumb idea was it to put this Horde in the middle of the game but it was stupid as hell

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Lol at 2 things: why does deacon shout at times haha, and also he jumps down so straight and funny (weirdly animated)

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
i haven't beaten it yet, but I think I'm at the last mission to help Sara escape the camp because it says I'll be leaving the southern territory. Is there anyway to go back and finish the side missions? Because they're not popping up anymore and I want the unlocks lol
So for people who beat the game.

Mar 29, 2018
I think it's because it's a late game mission.
I did the same thing. Its supposed to be a story mission but I did it early, dont worry you've cleared it.
This horde isn't a part of the Horde Extermination storyline and you do not get a notification for clearing it. not now, not during the story mission.

it really sucks as well because
when you arrive to clear it for the mission, the horde is of course already dead and gone but the game does not acknowledge it. Also, it is supposed to be an important part of the ending of the game, yet it feels empty and broken because of it.

Don't know whose dumb idea was it to put this Horde in the middle of the game but it was stupid as hell
Do it. But like I said, I did it after the storyline (where they mark the horde positions on the map). But you can try it :) Maybe it will even work before you completed the story :) Good luck :D
Ah what a pain. Thanks folks

Kinda unbelievable that this late game horde was shown as an E3 presentation...