• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10908

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got the secret ending yesterday, GOTY so far. I went from not liking the game at all the first 5-10 hours (was even considering dropping it) to absolutely loving it. Its gonna be the first game i'm going to try and platinum

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Just started renting this. Surprised at how jarring I'm finding the constant fade-to-black cut-scenes. Also weird unpolished aspects like clipping through a corpse that you ride through on the motorcycle.

Graphics look really good even on O.G. PS4 though. I doubt there's enough here to keep me playing past 5-10 hours but we'll see. Joys of a rental.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Just started renting this. Surprised at how jarring I'm finding the constant fade-to-black cut-scenes. Also weird unpolished aspects like clipping through a corpse that you ride through on the motorcycle.

Graphics look really good even on O.G. PS4 though. I doubt there's enough here to keep me playing past 5-10 hours but we'll see. Joys of a rental.

They were 10 times more jarring at launch too.

HebrewHammer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Wow, I just got to the
Volcanic area of the map with the militia.

I don't think I've ever played a game that has continually gotten better and better. It started at about a 7 and quickly rose to an 8.5, and possibly 9 (soon) in my book.

amoy

Oct 28, 2017
I gotta say, I love the economy system they have in place, each camp does their own thing, no centralized currency.

Also, defeated my first horde! It was a total shitshow, but made out alive :D
Football field/college

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Without spoiling, it can get even better.
I know ;)
I already found the squeaky toy ;D
494296bmju7.jpg

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
That fucking horde in the sawmill is ENDLESS! Gonna finish the story and get upgrades before I try that again.

Has anyone found a bigger horde than that?

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, WHOA. How is this thread at 8,000 posts???

Lol So much for the hate wagon trying to derail this train.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Wow thanks guys, think I will pick this up now.

LeadingDifferentJunebug-size_restricted.gif

I was lukewarm about this game at the E3 reveal. I thought it had potential but wasn't sold at all. Leading up to release I was still on the fence, especially since I had a lot of great games to keep me busy like RE2 and Sekiro. Then impressions started rolling in and the marketing campaign kicked into gear, making me take notice. I threw in a pre-order, and despite the review day being less than stellar, I decided screw it and kept it. I'm so thankful I did, because this has gone on to be my GOTY. Does it still have some tech issues? Absolutely. Does it have some pacing problems early on that some may find too much? Yupp. Does the overall experience make all of those a non-issue? For me, yes. I fucking love this game, the characters, the gameplay, the graphics and weather systems. You can lose hours playing this and feel like it's only been ten minutes. It's crazy!

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
Can someone tell me if i need to progress further into the story for Hordes to show up at crater lake?
I have found two horde sites and they dont appear no matter how long I wait at their feeding sites and dont appear in caves during the day

Oct 26, 2017
I have a lot of time for games press but I think fundamentally, games are longer and longer nowadays and in order to provide a proper review you need to complete the game - which means FORCING yourself through, in this case, 50+ hours of content, and usually in a short span of time (not in this case though)

Forcing yourself to finish that kind of thing is going to stop being fun very quickly. Even if you still enjoy it you're not enjoying it in a natural state of "relaxing" which everyone else is

It will also make all the bugs and problems seem far larger than they are

Of course this isn't always the case, but having worked in games criticism and experienced this first hand, I think it's a pretty real effect

Yeah I can see this game getting old if your forcing yourself to finish as fast as possible. I play this game almost every night for 2-3 hours, longer on the weekends and it's great. I can see how those luls in receiving missions can be frustrating to reviewers but for me they're perfect stopping points for the night. And when I get back on I'll do some open world content while waiting for the mission to proc.

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone tell me if i need to progress further into the story for Hordes to show up at crater lake?
I have found two horde sites and they dont appear no matter how long I wait at their feeding sites and dont appear in caves during the day
They will be there, they keep moving at night. There are multiple sites for each horde, like 3, so you need to keep moving to spot them. Once you get past a certain point in the story all the hordes and their feeding sites/caves will be visible on the map.

spookyghost

Oct 28, 2017
Well got my first crash around 40 hours in, it was preceded by two bugged missions in a row so I don't know if it's related to that.

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guys delete the saves it creates from the PS4 UI after 10ish hours of play or the game will become sluggish if it accumulates 1GB worth of saves.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, I had the same issue. I wanted to get more XP before moving on and even used some guides with maps but multiple caves in those maps were empty in my game during day time. Maybe there are story triggers before hordes appear in some areas. At this point I've taken out around 10 hordes and not actively hunting them anymore.

Any horde that I organically come across, those I tackle.

I like how long it takes especially if its at night. Its meant to be a risk /reward situation.
It can get really tense especially if there's a large amount of enemies such as a horde moving about nearby.

I can understand that, but that is something that should be tied to a Survival style difficulty IMO. It's not really that fun when you have to wait a full minute for Deacon to fill gas the 20th time.

Guys delete the saves it creates from the PS4 UI after 10ish hours of play or the game will become sluggish if it accumulates 1GB worth of saves.

Can you elaborate on this ? Is it like Skyrim PS3 ?

I'm a good 30~ hours into the game and doesn't seem like I'm running into any unusual sluggish-ness.

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
They will be there, they keep moving at night. There are multiple sites for each horde, like 3, so you need to keep moving to spot them. Once you get past a certain point in the story all the hordes and their feeding sites/caves will be visible on the map.

I have cleared out a bunch of hordes in other regions and never had this hard of a time tracking them.
I guess its possible i didnt look long enough but usually if i just wait a few in gsme hrs they shoe up to eat . I searched everywhere and nothing.
im just worried I encountered a bug since I have returned to these sites and still no luck.

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have cleared out a bunch of hordes in other regions and never had this hard of a time tracking them.
I guess its possible i didnt look long enough but usually if i just wait a few in gsme hrs they shoe up to eat . I searched everywhere and nothing.
im just worried I encountered a bug since I have returned to these sites and still no luck.
There are just three hordes in crater lake. 13 in Highway 97. I dunno I mean go through the story I guess until you get a certain item.

You have to fight a story based horde after getting the naplam molotov in crater lake so I guess it's disabled till then.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

Once you beat the game/story.

supposedly the game marks all horde locations on the world map, so now I'm also waiting for that instead of actively hunting them down.

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I deleted saves 2 days ago and it's already up to 800MB. As you unlock the last camp, the save files get bigger and bigger with each around 38MB.

vHTyB6E.jpg

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
There are just three hordes in crater lake. 13 in Highway 97. I dunno I mean go through the story I guess until you get a certain item.

You have to fight a story based horde after getting the naplam molotov in crater lake so I guess it's disabled till then.

Ok maybe the ones I found are story based. It was acrually one from crater lake(the one you have to sneak by during a story mission when you first arrive in that region) and the other was on highway 97. I'll keep an eye out for other sites and see if they spawn.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
I like how long it takes especially if its at night. Its meant to be a risk /reward situation.

It can get really tense especially if there's a large amount of enemies such as a horde moving about nearby.
I was repairing my bike then I got pounced on by a big cat, they honestly come out of nowhere at times.

Got trust level 2 for the later camp but also got a shotgun for doing 25% of the hordes. I tried the cowboy and love it too, so hard to just pick a weapon because I don't just wanna use the same weapons the entire game.

ABeezy1388

Apr 5, 2018
You need to go to your PS4 system settings, storage, saved games and then Days Gone.

Delete all the older one's, save some recent (and your quick / manual saves).

Cool thanks; I didn't realize it would list every single individual save. Thought it was just one big "days gone saved data file".
Just select them and delete them? Not sure how else you would delete them.

Thanks; I get that, see my response in quoted post above :)

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
Once this game drops in price a bit I'm all over it. So many great impressions in this thread that are really helping to set my expectations.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Once this game drops in price a bit I'm all over it. So many great impressions in this thread that are really helping to set my expectations.

Yeah, the game is pretty good but flawed. A few more optimization patches will make the game a joy to play. The pacing in the early parts of the game needs some work and hopefully Bend takes the lessons learnt here for Days Gone 2.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
after two proper game sessions i have to agree with everyone who praises the game, i think its a superbly fun and exciting game. has clicked with me real nicely, just love to sneak around and explore! and my heart is pounding even fighting just a few freakers, can't imagine how i'll react when there's hundreds in front of me, hah.

i like almost every aspect, gameplay feels fine to me after pumping up the sensitivity a bit. music is great, fits the mood perfectly. story i can't really comment on yet but Deacon seems a bit unhinged which i like (as opposed to a more likable "safe" character most devs settle on). i hope the story goes into some messed up directions, but can't tell yet.. oh and bike feels fine, was a bit worried how it would handle (right after riding RDR2 horses for a hundred hours or so lol).

literally the only disappointing thing that for me draws down the score is the goddamn relentless fan noise from the PS4 Pro, its impossible to enjoy the game with another person, we can't hear anything :/ (can't pump up the audio much because gunshots etc would piss off or scare my neighbors). so i just play alone with the headphones, to enjoy the soundtrack and sound effects. it's just ridiculous.

Oct 27, 2017
I just tried the delete-save thing, no improvements to performance. Whenever the game is loading-in the "?" events and enemies, it still stutters a bit. And if you're at max speed on the bike you get these too here and there.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, the game is pretty good but flawed. A few more optimization patches will make the game a joy to play. The pacing in the early parts of the game needs some work and hopefully Bend takes the lessons learnt here for Days Gone 2.

Haven't beaten the game yet but there's so much potential. Think about how Bend has never made a modern day AAA, how they started with 50 people and almost 2/3rds of the team is brand new and how ambitious their first game is. Out of all the first party potential PS5 sequels Days Gone 2 is up there for me, riiight beside Bloodborne 2.

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I just tried the delete-save thing, no improvements to performance. Whenever the game is loading-in the "?" events and enemies, it still stutters a bit. And if you're at max speed on the bike you get these too here and there.

the (ludicrous) number of saves isn't the problem. if anything, it's the size of the saves. if, as in the case of skyrim, the saves are attempting to keep track of too much peripheral data (bodies, items, etc), & they continue to get larger because of this, then that's gonna eventually have an effect :) ...

Oct 27, 2017
the (ludicrous) number of saves isn't the problem. if anything, it's the size of the saves. if, as in the case of skyrim, the saves are attempting to keep track of too much peripheral data (bodies, items, etc), & they continue to get larger because of this, then that's gonna eventually have an effect :) ...

My endgame saves are like 37MB. There are larger saves on PS4 from other games. When you're riding out in the world on story missions with other characters it's pretty smooth because the game isn't loading in side enemies or side activities, but your body-count bodies are still there. But when you're free roaming on your own is when all the slowdowns happen, as dynamic events and enemies are loaded in.

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
My endgame saves are like 37MB. There are larger saves on PS4 from other games. When you're riding out in the world on story missions with other characters it's pretty smooth because the game isn't loading in side enemies or side activities, but your body-count bodies are still there. But when you're free roaming on your own is when all the slowdowns happen, as dynamic events and enemies are loaded in.

yeah, well, everything's relative: games that support even larger saves than those of days gone might just be better optimized, over-all, & therefore can handle them. it's the fact that the slow-downs become more pervasive the further into the game you get that's so reminiscent of the skyrim problem. &, yeah, it's completely understandable that, as you mention, this doesn't affect story missions, where the game becomes semi-linear, & the system isn't being taxed with the regular open-world processing it usually is...

Oct 27, 2017
It's got a lot of the pacing of other narrative-in-open-world games, where you don't know from one story mission to the next whether the mission will be short and simple, or lead to a series of three or four of them in a row. Or if a mission will be just basic dialogue stuff, or more revelatory or interesting. Horizon and Spider-Man had this kind of thing going on, too. At least when you pick out your own activities to do, you pretty much know how much you need to accomplish, what it's about, and what it will take.

The radio calls coming in from a camp immediately after leaving it, and a few points where the next story mission takes a while to appear, don't help the pacing in this game. The late-game missions made things very interesting, though, and the climactic missions weren't any worse than what other big titles have done, so the game still manages to finish the ride.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
Sooo hordes are usually easier to tackle out in the open but I found one hibernating in some houses just now and thought of this post you made yesterday. For the hell of it, I did my best to hole up in the house across the street and hold my position for as long as I could manage.

OMG that was amazing to watch. My heart was pounding watching them getting closer LOL
Too bad that the AI didn't know how to handle the window properly. Since you cannot lock doors, I assume freakers could just enter right?
This is what a sequel should improve: locking the door, barricading it, shooting through the walls until they break through, then onwards to phase two in whatever building you are.