• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Got the platinum today. Just get rid of the entire third (?) and it would be all the better for it, there's just so much that doesn't need to be there (don't click spoiler)

Crater Lake / Militia plotline, Skizzo's SUDDEN appearance at the end and yet despite Deacon doing all these good favors for the militia, the old fogey suddenly believes that Deacon MAY be a rapist!!!!!, Boozer's terrible "death" moment haha sike just kidding, Sarah's REVELATION dust yourself off and try again --- but really I could go on so let's stop here

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got this for $30 during the Newegg sale and put in about 2 hours today. I'm really liking it a lot. Glad I didn't let the somewhat negative critical reaction dissuade me from picking it up.

Oct 27, 2017
If you're able to, could you give me a quick summation of what you do in the game? I'm thinking of getting the game at 40 dollars but the mediocre reviews have scared me off a bit.

Yep! So it's fairly standard open world fare. Ignoring the narrative which I won't spoil, you roam the land on your motorbike carrying out jobs for various survivor encampments. You have story jobs, bounty hunting jobs, fetch quest stuff etc; you have to scavenge for items to craft weapons, you have a skill tree to upgrade your abilities.

On paper, it's all stuff you've done plenty of times before if you've played any open world games in the last few years. What elevates the entire experience for me was the following;

1 - The world. It's a fabulous achievement. It looks amazing graphically and Bend absolutely nailed the look and feel of a post apocalyptic landscape, the death and decay and remnants of panicked escapes from freakers as the civilised world crumbled. It's pure zombie fiction but writ large and beautiful in the visuals and the locations. There is very little recycling of assets, locations feel interesting and emotive to explore. It's one reason I never quite got the repetition complaints; yes you're mechanically doing the same stuff over and over again (as in all games?) but the places you do them all feel different and there are a multitude of strategies available to how you approach an objective. Stealth, agressive, a mixture, lure a horde to the area etc. You also have the day/night cycle which switches up enemies and how they react.

2 - The systems. You've got Deacon, various types of freakers, wolves, infected wolves, bears, infected bears, deer, cougars, various bad guy factions etc etc all interacting and it makes for some really interesting moments, especially when you stumble across something entirely unscripted. You can use some of this to your advantage or it can lead to some mad moments as you scramble away from a bear then a load of freakers, then a strong freaker variant gets involved etc.

3 - The hordes. I love 'em, they're just brilliant. It's not something I've ever seen in the the AAA space and they truly are something to behold; hundreds of individual freakers pouring over the landscape relentlessly chasing you down. It looks amazing, it sounds amazing and taking on a horde is great fun, requiring a bit of strategy, setting your traps, deciding your route then adapting on the fly as it all inevitably goes awry. Or those moments when you stumble into a horde just freeroaming, or your doing something entirely unrelated and attract the attentions of a nearby horde. They never got old for me, they're a technological achievement and I really engaged with them mechanically and narratively.

It has its flaws. I'd say it's maybe a tiiiiny bit too long, some of the missions and cutscenes aren't that great and I think they could have done a bit more with the hordes as they're the star of the show; but overall it hangs together really really well. The characters are great, the voice acting is stellar, the story is interesting and the themes really got me hooked. Traversal is really good, the bike is lovely (hence why I never fast travelled) and on PS4 Pro at least performance isn't as egregious as some people are claiming. A few areas stutter and drop but it's playable and for the vast majority of the game it all ran smoothly. I didn't have a single crash. The odd bug but nothing game breaking.

I thought a lot of the complaints were odd to be honest. That Eurogamer review for example was a bizarre mess by someone who clearly didn't want to be playing the game and went into it with a bad attitude apparently looking for things to nitpick.

Honestly, very often it feels like an open world Last of Us and frankly I can't think of higher praise. Very interested to see what any sequels give us on PS5.

DGS

Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol
I started a new game on survival mode. Imo, a much better experience. I don't miss the fast travel and powerful vision perks. I'm enjoying the world created by Bend much more in my my second run.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I've played roughly five hours so far and I think I've played enough to get a feel for the game. It's good so far, despite having all the trappings of an open world game it still feels unique.

Deacon is pretty fun, I enjoy him muttering to himself all the time, I actually kinda do the same thing, although hopefully don't sound as unhinged as he does. He's a little bit clunky to control but not too bad.

The motorcycle is pretty fun so far, I imagine once you get it all souped up it's pretty great. It controls pretty good, I was worried it would feel janky.

The graphics, atmosphere and music are all pretty damn good. The thunderstorms are crazy cool. The audio could have a little more punch - the guns and thunder are a little weak compared to some other games I've played. I love the jaws-like music that plays when you get close to freakers. The frame rate is pretty solid, although only get occasional hitches.

The narrative so far is serviceable but not gripping yet. The opening of the game is really jarring. So far Deac is the best part.

I found my first horde this morning and had fun toying with it but there were too many for me to kill. I was surprised by their lack of persistence though, it's not very hard to shake them.

Overall I'm enjoying myself and I look forward to continue playing.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
LOL this game has some really strange cutscenes. Walk to the top of the hydro power thing. Watch a cutscene. Walk to the bottom. Press Square. Walk to the top, watch cutscene. Who thought this was a good idea?

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LOL this game has some really strange cutscenes. Walk to the top of the hydro power thing. Watch a cutscene. Walk to the bottom. Press Square. Walk to the top, watch cutscene. Who thought this was a good idea?

I have to guess this is partly because they took out the choice based stuff which makes a lot of stuff seem redundant or seemingly pointless.

Mar 29, 2018
Huh, think Survivor difficulty is pretty bugged.

Most of it works fine, but I definitely have a few bike upgrades unlocked that I shouldn't (ammo case on back with 4 refills) and enemies not hearing me that well (lower noise upgrade)

Super strange

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
Got the platinum, put in a lot of hours to do so. Eliminated all but five hordes on my way there, so I'll be picking them off over the next few days or so.

I REALLY enjoyed my experience with the game and did not come across anything game breaking or hugely out of sorts, aside from the "Oh Jesus" clip which I have previously linked in the thread. The game is drop-dead gorgeous and I'd put it up against the very best of this generation (U4, Horizon, RDR2, Spider-Man) and what Bend as a relatively small studio accomplished is insane. The game just keeps giving.

Only thing that was making me a little weary were the stutters where it seemed the game froze up for up to 5 seconds and then came back normal. Definitely a few scares when I was fighting a particular horde in the Mt. Bailey area!

Bring on the story DLC. Please tell me this game is getting some?

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
I tried this game over the weekend, mostly because I was bored. Wasn't to interested in it due to reviews and the fact that I been playing read dead redemption just prior. There are a lot of things that keept my interest low. Open world fatigue, not really inte the whole cool biker thing etc.

But I think I love it.

What the hell where those bad reviews coming from?
The one thing that strike me most is that the enemys are genuine scary. I almost panicked when I was chased by a hord with low gas in my motorcycle.

The story actually surprised me , I really want to know where they are going with this and I really like the characters. Love the main character and the actor. Seems a bit insane btw, sometimes yelling at the radio and so on. Love it.

Anyway. It's a surprise gem for me, and I haven't followed the games/sales/ discussion at all.

Whats the general consensus? Will there be a sequel ?

Dinoegg_96

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
I tried this game over the weekend, mostly because I was bored. Wasn't to interested in it due to reviews and the fact that I been playing read dead redemption just prior. There are a lot of things that keept my interest low. Open world fatigue, not really inte the whole cool biker thing etc.

But I think I love it.

What the hell where those bad reviews coming from?
The one thing that strike me most is that the enemys are genuine scary. I almost panicked when I was chased by a hord with low gas in my motorcycle.

The story actually surprised me , I really want to know where they are going with this and I really like the characters. Love the main character and the actor. Seems a bit insane btw, sometimes yelling at the radio and so on. Love it.

Anyway. It's a surprise gem for me, and I haven't followed the games/sales/ discussion at all.

Whats the general consensus? Will there be a sequel ?
They definitely hinted a sequel and sales seem to be good.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My first initial impressions

Good:

.One of the better looking games I've played this gen, and I'm playing on a regular PS4

.The zombies are actually scary, and I like how you can be swarmed by a couple in a second

.The motorcycle feels fun to ride, I don't feel the urge to fast travel

. I enjoy the survival aspects of having to collect resources

Bad

. There are a few bugs and general poor AI

. The AI doesn't react to a body, they'll just say "someone's here" and then walk back on their path

. The story isn't engaging me at this point.

. Missions are already becoming a little bit repetitive

Overall, I'm really enjoying the game. The bad doesn't necessarily take my enjoyment out of the game, but momentarily breaks my immersion and reminds me that the game has a few issues.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Bad

. There are a few bugs and general poor AI

. The AI doesn't react to a body, they'll just say "someone's here" and then walk back on their path

It's funny, the AI in Days Gone definitely isn't great, but after spending 70+ hours in the game and then playing 7 Days To Die with a buddy over the weekend, all I could think was how much worse the AI in Days Gone could be. 7 Days' enemy AI and movement is still barely functional compared to most games, but for some reason, I keep going back to it for the world building and exploration.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's funny, the AI in Days Gone definitely isn't great, but after spending 70+ hours in the game and then playing 7 Days To Die with a buddy over the weekend, all I could think was how much worse the AI in Days Gone could be. 7 Days' enemy AI and movement is still barely functional compared to most games, but for some reason, I keep going back to it for the world building and exploration.

I don't think it's the worst AI I have ever seen, but I think the AI should react a bit more when they find a body, or when I'm hiding behind cover move around a little bit more.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Is there some sort of audio bug? Sometimes I get creepy music that doesn't stop even when I'm in a safe area like a camp.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
It has its flaws. I'd say it's maybe a tiiiiny bit too long, some of the missions and cutscenes aren't that great and I think they could have done a bit more with the hordes as they're the star of the show; but overall it hangs together really really well. The characters are great, the voice acting is stellar, the story is interesting and the themes really got me hooked. Traversal is really good, the bike is lovely (hence why I never fast travelled) and on PS4 Pro at least performance isn't as egregious as some people are claiming. A few areas stutter and drop but it's playable and for the vast majority of the game it all ran smoothly. I didn't have a single crash. The odd bug but nothing game breaking.
I just finished the whole game and I think the length could have been decent if they spent less time at the start and spent more time towards the end fleshing things out. I think the start is where it loses people because it does feel a little long to get going because once you get to near end content, that's when the main attraction is to point where I was actually wondering if they ever were going to show the content that did from the E3 Trailer with Manny which could have been near the start.

I really got hooked with the story and characters which I think they did well as well. I do not really understand the complaints about Sarah and Deacon which I loved
I was really proven wrong along with many others pre-launch about Sarah's fate and she ended up being better than I ever imagined in game. I liked the tonal whiplash Deacon had having built up and kept the memory of her for so long that ended up different to what he imagined not realizing that the things he's been through the past few years would also affect and change Sarah too

This one of the games I'm really looking forward to the improvements next gen. Cut down on the extreme loading screens which are far too much (game loads a cutscene, then a loading screen then a cutscene which is just weird),better performance, more NPC interactions within the world with increased dialogue variety and stories, more interesting environmental interactions to destroy hordes, more variety of mission and tasks to do within the world, more hordes moving around the world would be cool as some times, it's clear there's a limitation and boundary to where the hordes will go and seeing them out in the open randomly on the open world would tremendously spice things up like running into them on an open road would be pretty terrifying,
I'm interested to see whether they change with the horde itself with the infected being much more dangerous and smarter particularly with Obrian reveal
One thing I've kind of wondered about was the Nero Injections that Deacons being taking and whether that's going to have any story implications going forward knowing the kind of things Nero has done that's he's been randomly injecting in himself or just for gameplay purposes
One of the things I didn't really understand whether I missed or not was about the Rippers
and whether they explained why Deacon and Boozer burnt Carlos with a torch

Oct 27, 2017
One of the things I didn't really understand whether I missed or not was about the Rippers
and whether they explained why Deacon and Boozer burnt Carlos with a torch

I might be misinterpreting, but I think
Carlos used to be a member of the motorcycle gang so he was their 'brother' at one stage - at the very start of the game they set fire to another of their dead members, killed by Leon, outside the graveyard rather than leave her for the freakers so I figured they did the same for Carlos regardless of what he became

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Does anyone bother hunting down the blue question marks? Every one I've done so far has basically being getting attacked

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Does anyone bother hunting down the blue question marks? Every one I've done so far has basically being getting attacked

From time to time I'd make a run for one because I was a long way from my destination and wanted to break up trip a little, but usually, no. They seem super random and pointless for the most part. Hopefully they'll handle them better in a sequel.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I felt the stuff with the Rippers came off a bit undercooked in the end I'm glad they weren't the main antagonistic human force in the game but it felt like some of the weakest bits of story. We only realize the mysterious Carlos is not only soneone else entirely but his entire origin seems to be in part thanks to Boozer and Deacon kicking him out of their club and burning the tat off his back. Then he's taken care of not much later in the game and that's about it for the Rippers. Just felt a bit abrupt in both the introduction of the sudden reveal and then the wrapping up of that whole plotpoint shortly after.

Nov 18, 2018
Yeah I felt the stuff with the Rippers came off a bit undercooked in the end I'm glad they weren't the main antagonistic human force in the game but it felt like some of the weakest bits of story. We only realize the mysterious Carlos is not only soneone else entirely but his entire origin seems to be in part thanks to Boozer and Deacon kicking him out of their club and burning the tat off his back. Then he's taken care of not much later in the game and that's about it for the Rippers. Just felt a bit abrupt in both the introduction of the sudden reveal and then the wrapping up of that whole plotpoint shortly after.
I agree, I think the Ripper storyline was pretty bad.
They should have mentioned Jesse and that whole backstory earlier in the game so when it was revealed that Carlos was Jesse it would have some impact for the player. The reveal falls flat because he's someone we've never heard of before, and they never really explained what Jesse did in the first place to make Deacon and Boozer turn on him.

Then there's a casual mention that Deacon held him down while someone else blowtorched his back and the game just completely glosses over how awful that is.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
I might be misinterpreting, but I think
Carlos used to be a member of the motorcycle gang so he was their 'brother' at one stage - at the very start of the game they set fire to another of their dead members, killed by Leon, outside the graveyard rather than leave her for the freakers so I figured they did the same for Carlos regardless of what he became
They burnt off his club tattoo.
Should have clarified a bit more what I was inquiring
and used Jessie instead of Carlos name to prevent confusion but I did kind of understand that they used to be together and that at some stage, he got torched when he was still Jessie and got kicked out,
what I'm more inquiring is about what starrywhispers said.
they never really explained
what Jesse did in the first place to make Deacon and Boozer turn on him.

Then there's a casual mention that Deacon held him down while someone else blowtorched his back and the game just completely glosses over how awful that is.
It's a part where I felt we should have gotten more information, and was wondering if there was any text, communication I might have missed in this particular part which now I don't think I did because that's pretty awful pre-apocalyptic event.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
God damn I still haven't been able to finish this, been in the last third of the game for over a month now. Just struggling with motivation and every time I don't one mission I just feel like turning it off again. Is the end pay off worth it?

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a part where I felt we should have gotten more information, and was wondering if there was any text, communication I might have missed in this particular part which now I don't think I did because that's pretty awful pre-apocalyptic event.

Oh, I see what you mean. In that case...

I think the implication was that Jesse/Carlos got the head of the MC busted and sent to jail? I can't remember entirely at this point, but I do remember something about what he did getting implied.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I think I've run out of steam

I'm back up north again after having gone rogue with the crazy colonel and his gang and it's really hard to keep the motivation going. Game is just too long. I think I've done all the bike upgrading I'm able to do and that was one of the main things that kept me going. I imagine I'll jump back in and finish it at some point out of obligation but boy howdy this game is a game that consists of a great middle and a bad beginning/end.

Oct 27, 2017
I think I've run out of steam

I'm back up north again after having gone rogue with the crazy colonel and his gang and it's really hard to keep the motivation going. Game is just too long. I think I've done all the bike upgrading I'm able to do and that was one of the main things that kept me going. I imagine I'll jump back in and finish it at some point out of obligation but boy howdy this game is a game that consists of a great middle and a bad beginning/end.

You're not far off the end at that stage if I recall.

Oct 27, 2017

I did a load of them, but most just ended with a hostage rescue or a random attack and enough of them petered out with nothing else to find or do (bugged I assume?) that I stopped doing them.

Tell you what I never saw once thoughout the entire game - enemies rolling a burning car down a hill to block the road, I'm sure I saw that in the pre-release material.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I did a load of them, but most just ended with a hostage rescue or a random attack and enough of them petered out with nothing else to find or do (bugged I assume?) that I stopped doing them.

Tell you what I never saw once thoughout the entire game - enemies rolling a burning car down a hill to block the road, I'm sure I saw that in the pre-release material.
Heh that was cool in rdr2 too

DGS

Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol

Yeah, I'm now in my second playthrough and saw it only once. Seems to be extremely rare.

Edit:

I'm almost done with the survival mode. Does the first small expansion drop this week?

Last edited:

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
How far am I until credits roll if I just focus on story quests ?

I am at the following ******spoiler*******
-
-
-
-
-
I am at crater lake and just found out that.....ahem....the lady with the 4th class security clearance is alive at the camp.

Oct 28, 2017
Wow the latest patch changed swapping weapons on the ground to the triangle button, finally. Just when I completely finished the game, grrr

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
How far am I until credits roll if I just focus on story quests ?

You probably have another good 10-15 hours if you just focus on story, another 20-30 if you go for the platinum trophy.

I got the platinum trophy last nite, for anyone who has problems with the drift+boost trophy, one of the very last few missions has you going for a long ride through a lot of snow and up a mountain and I just got it in that mission without really trying, driving on a snow wide highway with no cars blocking the way right before a tunnel area. Just drifting for a second and then boosting and riding the drift. I tried for a good 30 minutes the ways various youtube videos said and would always "stall" the bike and start driving straight (losing the drift) but riding on snow seems to keep you drifting longer.

I found the game a solid 6/10, the story was really bad in many parts, I found Deacon to be annoying and pretty generic and basically a character who almost will do anything anyone asks of him because "he's a video game character". Reminded me a lot of Connor in Assassins Creed 3, who I hated for the same reason. I really did enjoy the locations, riding around on a bike, stealthing my way through things with a sniper rifle and boot knife, and progressing through Hordes. The "secret ending" (its not really a secret, EVERYONE can get it you just need to play an hour or two after "the end" no requirements other than finishing) saved the game for me, it was ludicrously stupid but fit the "this is sharknado levels of scifi" theme of the game.

Would definitely buy a sequel, while this isn't in the pantheon of amazing PS4 exclusives - Bloodborne, God of War, Spider-man, etc - in my book, its still fun and scratched an itch. If you liked this game, I say go check out Mafia 3 it reminded me a lot of Days Gone. Also pretty much every Ubisoft game, this felt very much like an amalgamation of Far Cry, Assassins Creed, Watch Dogs, etc. just maybe not as polished.

I got an email today from Sony giving me a Deacon avatar, hopefully they give me a theme for the plat later on. I bought the game on disc 2 weeks ago for $40, plat'd it in those two weeks, and traded it in for $42 at gamestop today so pretty awesome.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
The new patch is so cool!
In other news today's stupid mission was go see boozer. I get there, he says "I don't have time to chat" and that's mission complete 😂

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
I'm sure there are very good logistical reasons why not, but I wish more developers would adopt the post-release strategy of "let's make the game we would have made if we had had three more months pre-release" rather than "clean up bugs, then add another layer of new content on top." In Days Gone's case this would mean things like improving the flow of some of the story missions like the instances where you get a new mission -> drive across the map and talk to a guy for 10 seconds -> MISSION COMPLETE. Or, like, just take out a couple of those filler bounty missions that are completely identical except for the article of clothing you have to bring back.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
The new patch is so cool!
In other news today's stupid mission was go see boozer. I get there, he says "I don't have time to chat" and that's mission complete 😂

Are there patch notes for the new patch? For 20GB+ hopefully it brings something substantial fix and feature wise.

Edit: nevermind found them

• "Surrounded" is the first DLC challenge drop! It's you VS. an endless Horde of Freakers! Survive the Horde as long as possible by utilizing your weapons, traps, and the environment. Increase the time on the timer by taking down Freakers and maximizing your score!
  • Each week on Friday, we will unlock a new challenge for you to master! (Will confirm day/time)
  • Earn a Bronze, Silver, or Gold rank to earn credits to buy new characters, custom accents, and rings
  • Once you complete a challenge, you will earn that challenge's Patch which will be permanently shown on Deacon's jacket in both challenge and story mode!
  • Free new custom accent has been added to our story mode, "Farewell Mongrels"
  • New trophies have been added exclusive to the new weekly challenges
Progression Issues
  • Lisa will not get stuck on the house terrain during the mission "Lots Of Sick People"
  • After finishing the objective in "You Don't Want to Know", you should be able to properly loot your bounty
General Fixes
  • Picking up and swapping weapons on the ground has been changed to the "Triangle" button
  • A fix has added to fade away the Stat Upgrade and Trust Level banner from the player's UI
  • Swarmers and the Horde should now vault through windows properly
  • The Breaker's AI should function correctly when traps are utilized
  • Leaving flashback missions should now retain your melee weapon and proper ammo count
  • Rendering issue has been resolved with a certain set of NPCs
  • Localization fixes
  • Various bug fixes and miscellaneous crash fixes

Last edited:

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Well I just tried the challenge and it's a lot harder than I thought lol. I guess it'll get a lil easier with the more unlocks I get. Running out of stamina fast and it's easy to get surrounded and overwhelmed.

DreadfulOmen

Feb 6, 2018

I've seen it 3-4 times. I've only seen 1 of those clothesline traps.

Dinoegg_96

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
I was very close to getting silver but ended up blown up by my own proximity bomb. Got any tips for the challenge??? I run out of attractors in the middle of the second horde.

Oct 27, 2017
Us there a glitch in the drift boost trophy? I've tried everything

The secret for me seemed to be

a) Make sure you have the final boost upgrade from diamond lake. Boost duration is too short otherwise.
b) I was doing too tight a circle. It doesn't seem to work if you boost a donut, so you have to let off the steering a touch and boost in a wider circle, presumably so the game recognises the drift. I got it on the second time trying after I fulfilled those criteria.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Best way to do it is 7 O'clock. Worked a treat for me after trying for like 40 minutes.
The secret for me seemed to be

a) Make sure you have the final boost upgrade from diamond lake. Boost duration is too short otherwise.
b) I was doing too tight a circle. It doesn't seem to work if you boost a donut, so you have to let off the steering a touch and boost in a wider circle, presumably so the game recognises the drift. I got it on the second time trying after I fulfilled those criteria.
Thanks I'll try both of these. Have been attempting it for a few days already. It's the final trophy so it's annoying.